Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aborigines

Status
Not open for further replies.
up all night said:
Here's a question for people: Do you think Aborigines who live in a traditional way should be subject to Australian laws and punishments?

Oh yeah, to answer your Q UAN: they should be exempt from Australian law and punishment if they are completely traditional (ie live off the land etceters etcetera. HOWEVER, if they benefit from taxpayer's money (ie access to tap water, roads, vaccinations) or WANT protection from the army/police WHATSOEVER, then they have to abide by the same laws as everyone else.

Problem is, as everyone knows already as this has already been discussed in other threads, traditional laws were never written anywhere and some are questionable (the child bride thing for example).

ok meds kicking in, screen wobbly, definately bed time for me.

^ That's the thing. Their law doesn't adapt to modern Australian society. If they want their own communities to practise their own law, all well and good. But if they choose to be a part of society, which should be a choice they are able to exercise, then, like anyone else, they need to conform to our way of life. As does anyone.

There's no simple answer to the problem.

zephyr said:
^ UAN: you have really been stating the obvious lately. Of course we "progressed". Derr.

Past my bedtime and this thread still sucks.

Have fun kids!

quickest retreat out of an argument ever.

up all night said:
Do you think Aborigines who live in a traditional way should be subject to Australian laws and punishments?

no, but only if they completely isolate themselves to the point where they never see any aspect of our civilization ever again. if you choose not to abide by the rules of a particular society, there is no reason why you should ever be granted the opportunity to participate in it. this includes hospitals, convenience stores, etc.

Last edited:
This issue of Indigenous people essentially being able to practice secession is such a difficult issue.

I think that indigenous people should be able to practice traditional law to the extent that it does not conflict with relevant state / federal statutory laws (common law should not be taken into consideration).

I would love to be able to say that indigenous people should be able to fully practice traditional law, however the reality is that we live in a society that works on the premise that all people are equal before the law. By creating certain laws that are only applicable to certain people, our entire legal system would be thrown on its head. Not to mention the amount of resent (yes, even more, i would think)that this would create towards indigenous people within the wider community

Thus, purely for pragmatic reasons, traditional law should not be used, IMO, where there is a conflict between legislation and traditional law.

However, i think the issue of traditional law could be more useful for issues such sentencing where the relevant aboriginal community could become actively involved with the punishment. There are so many issues that are involved with law enforcement, deaths in custody, mandatory detention etc that i think considering traditional alternatives is a far healthier way of incorporating a traditional perspective, rather than letting indigenous people practice their own laws.

Last edited:
chimpomatic: Well, not exactly the same, considering Aborigines were here first. So if we were to apply the logic we're trying to enforce on Muslims etc then we should probably all be reading up on the Dreamtime.

Chinese were blamed for bad luck and "unfair" competition.
It's a quote from tambos wikipedia link!

Sorry but I had to post that pure gem !

Last edited:
THR! said:
I've already conceded my point might have been out of line. As chopped chimp says, he found it to be a joke at the time, which is what it was intended to be - not the crux of an argument. It has been slightly taken out of context and really, you are completely overreacting.

Gee, one pathetic racist turd took another pathetic racist turds "point" as the "joke" he apparently intended it to be, sorry, unconvincing...

Seriously, in the future why not try posting on sites such as "stormfront", where you'll find that your pathetic "jokes" and childish "points" are better received...

THR! said:
Ok, ... so since I'm not Australian I don't have a right to an opinion? Now who's become the oppressor?

You must be a very delicate flower if you honestly feel this constitutes as "oppression".

I wasnt saying you "cant have an opinion", i was saying watch what you say. I dont care if you meant it as a joke, it wasnt funny at all and very offensive.

So cry me a river.

preacha said:
quickest retreat out of an argument ever.

Lick it you dipshit. I am not interested in "arguing" with UAN over anything just to keep you amused. Go get your girlfriend off the street corner to blow you if you are really that bored. Twat.

I wouldn't mind putting a bolt gun to the back of your head and firing it THR.

How's that for opression?

as a non citizen thr, no, you dont get a say in anything that has to do with the welfare of this country and or its inhabitants.

zephyr's right; this thread is a waste of space.

malevolent society: If non-citizens didn't have the right to voice their opinions about how other countries are run then South Africa would still have apartheid.

IXinX said:
This thread is very polemical

The last spate of posts have touched closer to the problem than any local, state or federal government has for years.

Agreed...
However,
I too,
wish you had some answers.

My overall understandin' of
the topic isn't
encompassin' enuff to
make a balanced comment,
or form a valid opinion.

(...an' that goes for many threads I jus'ta post unhumour'morous distractions in...)

It's such a large problem,
I don' wanna make a narrow, bigotted post on.

If that sounds like a cop-out,
I have,
well,
I'll wait...

However, WE ALL SOUND BETTER THAN QUESTION TIME.
ALWAYS.
FOR(THIS)EVER.

They'll die. [the red & green parrots]
With """"""""answers"""""""".
Goodbye to 'em.
An',
well,
if there's value in here,
some of our friends may jus be able to help.

?????
UnS
:|

Zero the hero said:
Gee, one pathetic racist turd took another pathetic racist turds "point" as the "joke" he apparently intended it to be, sorry, unconvincing...

Seriously, in the future why not try posting on sites such as "stormfront", where you'll find that your pathetic "jokes" and childish "points" are better received...

It was a joke 8o Sorry for laughing 8o Sometimes jokes aren't 'pc'!!!!

Please don't take me too seriously. I don't. And for the record, I'm not racist:D

KemicalBurn said:
You must be a very delicate flower if you honestly feel this constitutes as "oppression".

I wasnt saying you "cant have an opinion", i was saying watch what you say. I dont care if you meant it as a joke, it wasnt funny at all and very offensive.

So cry me a river.

Says someone who blindly advocated the execution of Van Nguyen. I mean, that's a real sign of your compassion.

Frankly, your opinion means shit to me 8)

Zero the hero said:

'stormfront' is unintentionally hilarious though. 14/88!OMG!WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.