BCAA Testing: Popular Brands All FAIL

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Something some of you may have missed on other boards recently, but brands including Muscle Milk, Syntha 6 and Optimum all failed recent BCAA testing, some by massive amounts.

This is on top of the now rather well-known and notorious protein scam (amino spiking) operated by a number of expensive brands in recent years.

You can read the paper abstract here: http://www.fasebj.org/content/29/1_Supplement/559.25#aff-1

Alternatively, you can read Anthony Roberts short summary >here< which includes some of the results.

Eh... I think we're all wondering who's good right now. A couple protein powder brands came out ok, I guess they may be worth the risk for BCAAs. Otherwise, ditch snazzy brands and just go for cheap bulk suppliers?

Eh... I think we're all wondering who's good right now. A couple protein powder brands came out ok, I guess they may be worth the risk for BCAAs. Otherwise, ditch snazzy brands and just go for cheap bulk suppliers?

The crazy thing is im always telling people who ask me what I take how garbage supplements are..poor regulation....blah blah blah.....and that i ONLY stick to the basics which is BCAAs and protein....now i guess im just stuck on protein

now i guess im just stuck on protein

I guess it depends which protein you're taking. The protein scam (amino spiking) that broke before the BCAA scam did bring up the problem we face as consumers in determining whether the label is in any way accurate:

https://blog.priceplow.com/protein-scam-amino-acid-spiking

FWIW being spiked with extra taurine, glycine, glutamine and/or creatine to make up the numbers isn't actually terrible news, but still, you're not getting what you think you're paying for.

I guess it depends which protein you're taking. The protein scam (amino spiking) that broke before the BCAA scam did bring up the problem we face as consumers in determining whether the label is in any way accurate:

https://blog.priceplow.com/protein-scam-amino-acid-spiking

FWIW being spiked with extra taurine, glycine, glutamine and/or creatine to make up the numbers isn't actually terrible news, but still, you're not getting what you think you're paying for.

I was using optimum nurtion
Now ill be switching over to the vegan brand sunwarrior

I've had a look at them before. Let me know how it goes, I may try some, products look decent.

Further to the ongoing protein spiking scam, another 70 powders recently failed testing, some by as much as 80%! Have a read >>here<<

Holy. I used to buy Nutri tech, it was cheap and tasty lol.

Well I don't see Champion Nutrition anywhere. I've been loyal to that brand since I first started lifting. Not the cheapest, but damn it's tasty and good quality afaik.

Myofusion isn't bad. I expected optimum to rank better, as they have in past tests.

Heres a legit question
With all of these things failing these tests, do we know of anything that has past any of them?

Cause these failed results come out every few years, and i never seem to see anything passing.

USN and BSN are only marginally off in most of the recent tests.

Unfortunately it's usually just for typical 'weight gain' mixed products.

The supposedly pure 70-80%+ and whey/casein isolates are where we're seeing a consistent problem with underdosing. It may not entirely be the fault of the brands in question - much of this is coming out of (or been reprocessed in) China and there are some notorious issues with Chinese whey suppliers and counterfitting.

You could try looking for whey/casein sourced directly from New Zealand (not via China), that's often been considered the premium and least tainted supplier in recent years. After that, I'd probably choose Europe and USA sources. Unfortunately most brands won't give you the source, but many of the bulk suppliers do.

Sorry I know it's not much help really...