• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5-htp?

Technic said:
really? you guys have a search button? 8)

pitty the faq doesnt answer my question

No need to be a smartarse!! other things exsist other then bluelight aswell! So i guess it's wrong to try and help people then eh :/

St John's Wort

is there anything that you can buy from pharmacies that is similar or replinishes serotonin?
When I don't have 5-HTP around, I use St John's Wort. It seems to make me feel a little better, but not as effective as 5-HTP. I don't think St John's Wort actually boosts serotonin production, but helps what is naturally produced to be more effective. It is available in chemists, healthfood stores and supermarkets. Please note: use only as a post-load(recover after MDMA), do not use as a pre-load(before MDMA) as it will reduce the effectiveness of MDMA and may even be harmful when combined. It's been a long while since I read into St John's Wort, could anyone confirm what I've said?

While I'm here... The few online 5-HTP stores I've purchased from in the past (2 years ago) have been:
www.iherb.com
www.clubnatural.com
www.healthy.co.nz

My preferred products:
Nature's Way, 5-HTP, 50mg, 60 tablets (Enteric coated*)
Jarrow, 5-HTP, 100mg, 60 tablets
Rest Factor, 5-HTP, 100mg, 120 tablets
*The enteric coating helps significantly in reducing stomach upset

I'm planning on ordering some 5-HTP soon. Since I haven't purchased 5-HTP for the past 2 years I'd appreciate hearing any reports on how orders have gone in the last 6 months or so on the sites above and below, Thanks.

Sites I have not used, but am considering:
www.webvitamins.com
www.vitaglo.com
www.americasnutrition.com

gleep =D

I just get my 5htp from a company in QLD. They send it to a mates address in Brisbane for me, and then he re-directs to me in Sydney, or gives it to someone who may be passing through Briso to Sydney for me. It only adds a day in delivery.
---
St. Johns Wort helps me tremendously for the Terrible Tuesdays, and so does Evening Primrose oil caps and also a bit of Vitamin B.

Cyberdyne said:
Finally, I'd love if somebody could link me to a fairly comprehensive list of foods that are going to increase my Serotonin levels over time :p

Your brain has a maximum limit of available serotonin without the use of pharmaceuticals... eating truckloads of 5-HTP isn't going to let your brain "stock up" before the pill.

Moreover its worth noting that many people on this board, and elsewhere, report that 5-HTP taken too close to a pill (as a preload) reduces the high, or mellows it out somewhat. The peak just never comes...

VelocideX said:
Your brain has a maximum limit of available serotonin without the use of pharmaceuticals... eating truckloads of 5-HTP isn't going to let your brain "stock up" before the pill.

Moreover its worth noting that many people on this board, and elsewhere, report that 5-HTP taken too close to a pill (as a preload) reduces the high, or mellows it out somewhat. The peak just never comes...

I've found what you said to be true, last weekend was my first with 5-HTP available.

I think I was over-enthusiastic and was taking 200-300mg during the day then another 200mg on the night just before dropping. The pill I had was a good one because I gurned on them before yet I felt very little/no peak that night, in fact the peak off the same pill was better before I got my hands on 5-HTP.

The experience tends to make me think that it should be used more as a post-load and perhaps just a little a few hours or even a day before dropping. Like you said, there's no point in eating truckloads of 5-HTP when your brain has a max limit of serotonin it could store.

I figured if you post-load properly then your head should have reasonably healthy levels of serotonin the weekend after (assuming you don't drop pills during the week), hence eliminating the need for 5-HTP pre-load on the day.

Well,
Big night was last night...Id been eatign shitloads of tryptophan rich foods, took 100 mg of 5htp when i woke up that morning and 100 mg when I downed a pink Euro. Id also had a couple of drinks, a lazy smoke and a wee bit of BZP. Further there was no eating after 4 o clock, and some Tums to remove stomach acid.

I dunno if it was the 5-HTP or something else but this was one of the most powerful peaks Ive ever had. Absolutely on my arse for the first hour and a half nearly as soon as it was taken. Very instense head rushes. My friend who had also taken the 5-HTP was able to stay on his feet. Also noted extremely dangerous overheating and hyper-ventilation (thought it was hospital for me). Managed to ride it out on the floor, then was up dancing hard but I can see why it might be said to reduce the peak. While the peak went for a VERY long time after the initial rushes rushes that had me on my arse it seemed to taper off to a much smoother, cleaner ride. Not at all too much to handle from there on in.

Also of note was my incredible lucidity which seems VERY unusual for me...Every time somebody asked me if I was alright I was able to convince them I was in a really clear, cogent voice (when I pretty obviously wasn't).

Was certainly a novel experience. Would not be adverse to trying pre loading again - might just take it in halves next time though..

I just received a order of 5-htp on friday. Orded it from a US site 2 weeks ago and had no problems having it sent to sydney. The package had a costoms label on it saying it had been opened for inspection. I orded 3 bottles of 90 caps 50mg so intotal 270 caps. This is the first time i have seen 5-htp and first time that i have ever had it. Miracle drug lol

The site that i used said there was a maximum order of 3 bottles to australia hence why i got 3 of em.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble here, and i've never actually tried taking 5HT supplements myself so correct me if you have any hard evidence, but i'm pretty sure that anything containing 5HT (or serotonin) that you ingest orally will have no CNS effects. 5HT is readily broken down by enzymes in your gut and doesn't cross the blood brain barrier at all. The only possible effects that you might experience is a rumbling stomach (increased peristalsis), more fluid secreted into your stomach and maybe an increase in blood pressure? So eating a banana or taking 5HT supplements is kinda a waste of time. As for anything available on prescription that will increase 5HT levels - your best bet would be a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor such as Luvox or a MAO inhibitor, which ARE able to cross the blood brain barrier. You would have to prove to your doctor that you're clinically depressed to obtain either, and it's extremely dangerous to mix these medicines with MDMA or anything of the like so please don't do it! If you're that desparate for higher peak then take another pill!

Sorry to come in here and crap on like that in my first post but i study pharmacy and i was just learning about all this last week

I posted this in a previous thread.

This is taken form an old study done in mice.

The concentration of L-5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) was measured in plasma and whole brain tissue from mice by use of high pressure liquid chromatography with fluorimetric detection after reaction with phthaldialdehyde. 5-HTP was injected intraperitoneally and the rise in plasma and brain 5-HTP concentrations was found directly related to the size of amino acid dose. Carbidopa, an extracerebral inhibitor of L-aromatic amino acid decarboxylation, increased dose dependently the brain bioavailability of systemically administered 5-HTP not only by peripheral enzyme inhibition, but also by inhibition of the decarboxylase activity within the blood-brain barrier as indicated by a rise in the calculated brain/plasma 5-HTP concentration ratio.

Magnussen I. Effects of carbidopa on the cerebral accumulation of exogenous L-5-hydroxytryptophan in mice. Acta Pharmacol Toxicol (Copenh). 1984 Sep;55(3):199-202

And this.

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is the intermediate metabolite of the essential amino acid L-tryptophan (LT) in the biosynthesis of serotonin. Intestinal absorption of 5-HTP does not require the presence of a transport molecule, and is not affected by the presence of other amino acids; therefore it may be taken with meals without reducing its effectiveness. Unlike LT, 5-HTP cannot be shunted into niacin or protein production. Therapeutic use of 5-HTP bypasses the conversion of LT into 5-HTP by the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase, which is the rate-limiting step in the synthesis of serotonin. 5-HTP is well absorbed from an oral dose, with about 70 percent ending up in the bloodstream. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and effectively increases central nervous system (CNS) synthesis of serotonin. In the CNS, serotonin levels have been implicated in the regulation of sleep, depression, anxiety, aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behaviour, and pain sensation. Therapeutic administration of 5-HTP has been shown to be effective in treating a wide variety of conditions, including depression, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, chronic headaches, and insomnia.

Birdsall TC. 5-Hydroxytryptophan: a clinically-effective serotonin precursor. Altern Med Rev. 1998 Aug;3(4):271-80

You make up your mind but i'm sticking with the 5-HTP

Laura if you have some evidence to back up your statements that would be much appreciated. But i prefer to believe peer reviewed journal articles rather than a post on a bulletin board.

Hmmmm i'll give you that pill_jockey... I spose i was talking about the fact that eating 5HT rich foods has no benefit in terms of increasing your brain's 5HT levels. From doing a little reserach just then, I personally i think that taking 5HTP supps along with MDMA is the best way (maybe equal with taking a SSRI or MAOI) to put yourself at risk of getting serotonin syndrome but whatever turns your cookie i guess...

i think as long as you dont over do it with the 5-htp like daily usuage.
and only postload not excessive amounts, then there should be any risk of seretonin syndrome.
i think alot of people take too much on a dialy basis and preload with alot and even take during the roll, which i dont think is a good idea.

^^^
I would just like to add that this is a bargin!!

I have ordered off these guys twice before and have not had a problem.

Well I ordered from Club Natural. Took them just 5 working days to arrive! They had been inspected by customs.

Rest Factor 5-HTP. 100mg, 120caps. US$23 (+$8 S&H).

sorry to dig up an old post. Just need to ask a quick question.

Theres an Australian online health store called thexton.com.au

It says its only allowed to sell 5-htp to people living in Queensland, so what i was thinking would be to make a dodgey address somewhere in Queensland when i sign up, then to put my real address down for delivery address when i go through the checkout. Has anyone tried this?, or can anyone see why this would be a stupid idea?

thanks.

^ Not worth it is more the point... check their prices! They have bottles of 30 capsules, each containing 75mg 5-HTP and some other vitamins you could get with cheaper multivitamins at your local supermarket, for AU$43.00... If you take 2 capsules as a dose (150mg 5-HTP), then that's about $2.80 per dose!!

Then check clubnatural, 120capsules 100mg-5HTP nothing else, for US$23.00 (about AU$30-35 depending on the exchange rate)... which if you take 2 capsules (200mg) as a dose, costs about 50c a dose. In my experience it's always more economical to buy 5-htp only... it's much more expensive, low dose, and smaller quantities when packaged with other supplements.

BigTrancer :)

ahh thanks BT. i wasnt aware that those cappys had other supplements in them, cheers.