View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Best starter psychedelic?

the_anarchist

Greenlighter
Hey! I pretty new to psychedelics, and the only drug im pretty comfortable with would be weed. I smoked every day for about two years, but ive stopped doing it regularly because it gets pretty boring. I recently tried edibles as well and those are nice. Anyways, I've always been very interested in psychedelics, but Id rather not go straight in and take something like lsd right away. I've heard 2cb is a good starting psychedelic, but i was wondering if any of you have any other ideas for a mild psychedelic to start with, before moving on to more mainstream psychedelics like shrooms or lsd? Thanks!
btw, the reason id rather not start with lsd is mostly because of how long the trip usually lasts.

al-lad/4-ho-met/4-aco-met/2c-c

all very mild (in sane doses anyway)

also if you pick al-lad you might want to hurry up, since it's not being made anymore and getting harder and harder to obtain

i'd add mipla to the list too but since I haven't tried it I wont

2C-B is a great choice, it's extremely mild and fun, it probably would have been my first suggestion. Also what white said, 4-AcO-MET or 4-HO-MET... they're like mushrooms kind of but much lighter and more positive/euphoric (and not as deep).

If you can't get your hands on any of those, you could try a low, like 1 or 1.5 gram, dose of mushrooms, to get your feet wet.

Mescaline cacti are good for first timers, if you can handle nasty tasting liquids/extract. Really easy on the psyche.

Also have you tried empathogens? MDMA is like a halfway between, and MDA will make you trip hard in a delirious way but you?ll love every minute of it.

-GC

Always exciting to see someone interested in exploring psychedelics! As G_Chem mentioned Mescaline is a gentle teacher with bubbly, dreamy, and pleasurable undertones to it's trip. The issue with it however is the length of the trip can rival LSD depending on dose. That paired with the fact that most preparations are not simply pure mescaline but rather a Tea like preparation or dried buttons from the host cacti which can make dosing very leap of faith like as not all cacti have perfect conditions for optimal development of psychoactive compounds. If you have access to a source of mescaline freebase then you can take a lot of that guess work out of the equation and might find it well suited for a first timer.

As far as research chemicals go they serve their purpose when they are of credible purity, but the chance of mishaps go up, especially so if weighing out doses on a scale that doesn't go to the decimal point BELOW the value of effective threshold for the compound. If this isn't an issue at all I would recommend 4-aco-dmt orally. All research chemicals can rock your socks off or worse if improperly "Guesstimated".

Now as far as my recommendation goes! I would have to say mushrooms to start with. While mushrooms in my own experience can shift mental landscapes into uncomfortable scenes, at low dosages this shouldn't be an issue and will still leave you with a measurable amount of self awareness to your thoughts. While fighting to control a psychedelic experience is a big factor in leading to a bad trip most people who first dove in would probably agree that giving in to the experience fully didn't come naturally. Ego preservation is more potent sometimes than the strongest of hallucinations and can spell emotional distress for the user. Yes it does last a while but with a gentle dose 1 gram - 2.5 grams your duration should not be obscene and the experience should at least provide you with a welcome.

Of course trust your gut and do your homework on the matter and I am sure your first launch will be nice.

Cheers and I wish you the best of luck out there!

2c-b is very nice imo, and tends to be a great starter psychedelic. At about 20-22mg it tends to be visual, but not overwhelmingly so, and for me at least, I tend to feel very focussed and like "me", so you can get a taster for things without losing your ego.

As for tryptamines, perhaps 4-aco-dmt or 4-ho-mipt. Both in a similar sort of vein as mushrooms but less likely to cause your thoughts to delve into those sort of insane loops, and they all last for a lot less than LSD.

There is usually a trade-off between ease and insight in my experience. AL-LAD, 4-AcO-MET, 2C-B, C, or D are easygoing, but for me lack the depth and magic that the somewhat more intimidating 4-AcO-DMT (or mushrooms. Or ayahuasca) can provide. The discussion as to whether starting with a gentle psychedelic is beneficial or necessary hasn't been settled yet in my view.

As Isolation and G_Chem said, mescaline really does thread the needle of gentleness and depth. Unfortunately, synthetic mescaline is rare and prohibitively expensive when not counterfeit.

And then there's the duration, which while a bonus for a seasoned tripper can be a bit much for your first time, especially given the difficulty dosing reliably.

As Isolation mentioned, dosing when dealing with cactus can be messy and complicated. What I have done in the past is either slice fresh cactus into discs, dry them in a food dehydrator, and powder in a blender. I can then toss and wash the powder. Alternatively, I have boiled down the cactus in lemon water until it's highly concentrated. If you make a large enough batch with either of these methods, you can get to know how potent that batch of tea or powder is by titrating up slowly. This not only prevents unintentionally intense experiences early on, but also gives you an idea of what the experience is like as you develop a relationship with the space. For me, mescaline is extremely pleasant at low and threshold doses, which I don't find to be the case with a lot of other psychedelics.

^^^Yea I agree making a large batch of crude extract would help give someone an idea of proper dosage and enough doses to use for awhile.

(IMO the best way to make crude extract is pull alkaloids with a diluted distilled vinegar solution, filter then evaporate liquid. Lemon/lime juice introduces more impurities and alcohol extracts pull more impurities that water. Typical dose is around 10g extract which is nice to reconstitute into a small amount of water and down quick.)

While I do see the points about duration, unless your really deep into a Mescaline experience I?d argue that long duration is very easy to manage so long as you account for it. I?ve even been able to fall asleep still tripping hard on Mescaline and wake up the following morning still feeling it.

With that said, all cacti are different and each has their own unique effects. Some sedating, some stimulating, some real trippy, some more empathogenic..

Thinking about the question more, I?ve always recommended mushrooms in the past for a few reasons.

One being that they aren?t exactly the easiest to handle at times and do push you a bit unless a low dose is taken (and even that isn?t a guarantee). I tell people that if they can handle those well at 1.75g then they?ll likely do well with other psychedelics. It?s kind of a test or initiation.

The second being that mushrooms are usually fairly euphoric for most people the first few times. While simultaneously giving people a taste of what it?s like to lose their minds for a moment.

Just like cacti though, experience is effected by the species used. Some species are more preferable to others based on some people?s opinions.

I think really pure white 4-AcO-DMT can be kind of like an even fluffier/easier going mushroom experience but unless you order yourself I?d just use mush.

-GC

Don't be afraid of acid! Honestly I think a microdose of lsd would be a good starter.

Last edited:
I found Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds the best for getting a taste

Really, Wubb? I feel like HBW has got to have one of the worst cost-benefit ratios of any psychedelic. While I feel like they have a worse reputation than they deserve, the bodyload is still awfully harsh for the quality of the experience, an experience I find pretty uniformly dysphoric.

I think 2C-B is ideally and by far the best starter psych, but is much rare than LSD or mushrooms, so unless you've got good connections it can be more difficult to source. Similar duration of mushrooms with much more forgiving mental effects and body load, accompanied by plenty of eye candy. I've honestly never heard of someone having a bad trip on 2C-B, not that it couldn't happen, but its much less likely compared to other psychs controlling for all other factors like set and setting.

Most commonly people start with mushrooms, everyone I've ever known started with mushrooms, I think this has something to do with a romanticization of nature more so than mushrooms actually being a good candidate as strictly a "starter psychedelic" (criteria for that mainly being how forgiving it is, degree of mental strain, body load and potential intensity). Main thing going for mushrooms as a starter psychedelic is the shorter duration. Low dose mushrooms is by no means a bad introduction to psychedelics, but they're a very complete psychedelic, for better or for worse.

I would not recommend LSA (hawaiian baby woodrose seeds/morning glory seeds). I've tried it once and it was fun, but it can also make you very sick. I couldn't even see straight in the morning ("fish eye lens" vision) after and just the thought of the taste of the extracted liquid we had to drink made me want to vomit. Low dose LSD would be preferable here.

My main piece of advice here is when you do trip, make sure you have the full freedom to go do what you want; like go outside for some fresh air (aim for a nice sunny day where you have many hours of daylight, even if you plan to hang out in doors its highly advisable to have the option available), agency to remove yourself from an uncomfortable situation, and most importantly not have to hide that you're tripping from anyone you're around. Also, if you have any friends that you know very well and trust, especially if they have tripped before, maybe trip with them.

the only drug im pretty comfortable with would be weed.
IMHO, Cannabis sp. is very psychedelic! Not for daily users, though.

Anyways, I've always been very interested in psychedelics, but Id rather not go straight in and take something like lsd right away. I've heard 2cb is a good starting psychedelic, but i was wondering if any of you have any other ideas for a mild psychedelic to start with, before moving on to more mainstream psychedelics like shrooms or lsd?
Psilocybin-containing mushrooms have a duration of about 6 hours, and I'm sure that "liberty caps" (Psilocybe semilanceata) or similar mushrooms of the genus Psilocybe also grow outside in the place you are living! IMHO, this is the best way of taking psychedelics: going out into nature, identifying them (We all of course know that a certainty of 100% is necessary before eating any mushroom?) and eating them!

The same duration (6 h) is also approximately true for 2C-B.

al-lad/4-ho-met/4-aco-met/2c-c

all very mild (in sane doses anyway)
IMHO, this is only partially true. For example, I tripped quite hard on 300 micrograms AL-LAD, definitely harder than on one average LSD blotter (with estimated 50-100 micrograms LSD, typical for black market acid according to www.checkyourdrugs.at).

Also, by taking 40-50 mg 4-HO-MET or 4-AcO-MET, one will definitely trip harder than on 2 grams of self-collected "liberty caps" (Psilocybe semilanceata).

The only substance you mentioned for which this is true is 2C-C. I once took 100 mg (no safe use!) and had an mediocre trip with bad body reactions throughout the whole trip.

Also, all 4 substances you mentioned are so-called "research chemicals". Do you realize that other people will buy their drugs with different persons (i.e. by black market dealers or by legal self-collecting "liberty caps" (Psilocybe semilanceata), ...)?

If you can't get your hands on any of those, you could try a low, like 1 or 1.5 gram, dose of mushrooms, to get your feet wet.
You know what Terence McKenna said? "When in doubt, double the dose!".

Also, you did not mention the species of the Psilocybin-containing mushroom. All around the world, there are 100-200 species with very different concentration of psychedelic Alkaloids. Eating 1.5. grams of Psilocybe azurescens would e.g. be way too much for me (it carries 2-3 times more psychedelic Alkaloids than Psilocybe cubensis)! On the other hand, eating 1.5 grams of "banded mottlegill" (Panaeolus cinctulus) would have probalby no effect, because the content of psychedelic Alkaloids in this species varies very strongly.

Mescaline cacti are good for first timers
Mescaline lasts too long (12-18 hours). This is a conditio sine qua non for the thread starter.

Also have you tried empathogens? MDMA is like a halfway between
Yes, this is another possibility, I consider Empathogens/Entactogens as non-classical Psychedelics as well.

MDA will make you trip hard in a delirious way but you?ll love every minute of it.
No, MDA is in no way delirious! It acts as a Serotonin-Noradrenalin-Dopamin releasing agent and 5HT2A-receptor partial agonist, i.e. it has both effects of "classical psychedelics" and Empathogens/Entactogens.

N.B.: I have never done MDMA nor MDA yet, but similar RC drugs (5-MAPB (very similar to MDMA) and 6-APB (very similar to MDA)).

Don't be afraid of acid! Honestly I think a microdose of lsd would be a good starter.
I wholeheartedly agree!

Also a very good idea! And: this is almost completely legal everywhere on planet Earth! The same is true for morning glory seeds.

I feel like HBW has got to have one of the worst cost-benefit ratios of any psychedelic. While I feel like they have a worse reputation than they deserve, the bodyload is still awfully harsh for the quality of the experience, an experience I find pretty uniformly dysphoric.
The bad body side effects are often described. Luckily, I have a very strong stomach and eating 10 Seeds of Argyreia nervosa has no bad side effects for me!

I think 2C-B is ideally and by far the best starter psych
I partially agree. It has both psychedelic and empathogenic/entactogenic effects. Also, its Psychopharmacoloy is interesting:
Unlike most hallucinogens, 2C-B has been shown to be a low efficacy serotonin 5-HT2A receptor partial agonist or even full antagonist. This suggests that the 5-HT2C receptor is primarily responsible for mediating the effects experienced by users of 2C-B
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2C-B#Pharmacology and the papers quoted in there.

PS: sorry for the long post - this is a kind of trip report in a nutshell of 12 different psychedelic drugs! =D

Complete list:
Cannabis sp.
LSD
AL-LAD
Argyreia nervosa
Psilocybe cubensis
Psilocybe semilanceata
4-HO-MET
Mescaline (in the form of Trichocereus pachanoi or, botanically more precise Echinopsis pachanoi)
2C-C
2C-B
6-APB
5-MAPB

Last edited:
Ill throw in a vote for 4-ho-met as well. I actually never tried 2CB (though I have tried other 2Cs over the years) but I know enough about it to say its a very pleasant psychedelic.

But-

My first two trips were psilocybin and LSD (respectively) when I was much younger. Both were extremely strong and I would never take those experiences back for a gentler time.
Thats just my two cents.

I actually never tried 2CB (though I have tried other 2Cs over the years) but I know enough about it to say its a very pleasant psychedelic.
May I ask which other 2C-X compounds you have tried? In my case, this is:
2C-B
2C-C
2C-D
2C-I / 2C-TFM mixture/false synthesis

I liked 2C-B best of these four compounds. Later in my life, I definitely plan to take 2C-E, 2C-P, 2C-T-2, 2C-T-4 and 2C-T-7, but I had no time for them yet (those compounds take 12-18 hours in total)... ;)

Probably whatever you have good clean assured access to will be the best starter psychedelic! It's hard to go wrong really.

You know what Terence McKenna said? "When in doubt, double the dose!".

I know this is a bit of a joke, and I love Terrence McKenna and his gung ho attitude, but I have to say, I wholeheartedly disagree!
When in doubt, halve the dose you can't un-take the drug, but you can always take more next time.

I know this is a bit of a joke, and I love Terrence McKenna and his gung ho attitude, but I have to say, I wholeheartedly disagree!
When in doubt, halve the dose you can't un-take the drug, but you can always take more next time.
I completely agree with you! ;)

IMHO, this is only partially true. For example, I tripped quite hard on 300 micrograms AL-LAD, definitely harder than on one average LSD blotter (with estimated 50-100 micrograms LSD, typical for black market acid according to www.checkyourdrugs.at).

Also, by taking 40-50 mg 4-HO-MET or 4-AcO-MET, one will definitely trip harder than on 2 grams of self-collected "liberty caps" (Psilocybe semilanceata).

The only substance you mentioned for which this is true is 2C-C. I once took 100 mg (no safe use!) and had an mediocre trip with bad body reactions throughout the whole trip.

Also, all 4 substances you mentioned are so-called "research chemicals". Do you realize that other people will buy their drugs with different persons (i.e. by black market dealers or by legal self-collecting "liberty caps" (Psilocybe semilanceata), ...)?
Sorry if I wasn't clear normal dose for al-lad is 150 ug, 4-ho-met/4-aco-met 15-25 mg.

Most people find these very easy to handle if not too weak (especially for al-lad which is very weak for some)

Yes they are research chemicals. All of which with an excellent safety profile (afaik none of them has yet to cause any deaths) especially at the doses mentioned. As for buying them, all are easily available online and not everyone purchases their drugs like you said. Almost all of my purchases have been online (and tbh I trust good vendors a lot more than the average dealer to sell you what you want, have pure products and so on).

Besides I was just presenting op with one possible option, this thread is full of different ones and they can research them all and pick whichever they think is best.

May I ask which other 2C-X compounds you have tried? In my case, this is:
2C-B
2C-C
2C-D
2C-I / 2C-TFM mixture/false synthesis

I liked 2C-B best of these four compounds. Later in my life, I definitely plan to take 2C-E, 2C-P, 2C-T-2, 2C-T-4 and 2C-T-7, but I had no time for them yet (those compounds take 12-18 hours in total)... ;)

Not him, but 2c-b, 2c-c, 2c-d, 2c-e, 2c-p, 2c-t-7 (and if you count more distant derivatives 2c-b-fly, bk-2c-b, 25i-nboh and 25c-nboh).

I had the chance of to try 2c-i but from the reports I've read it sounded to stimulating for my tastes.

I'd like to try 2c-ef, 2c-tfm, 25b-nboh, the rest of the 2c-t-x.....

2c-c, 2c-p, 2c-t-7, 25c-nboh were the ones I enjoyed the most.

2c-b is ok, 2c-d is too bland, 2c-e makes me too nauseous to enjoy, bk-2c-b is unpredictable crap, 2c-b-fly is decent and 25i-nboh is ok but 25c-nboh is better (more visual and less stimulating).