• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Best starter psychedelic?

When I was 17, one of the things that drew to me psychedelics is how smart the culture was. It's like, how dangerous can these things really be to your brain when a majority of the biggest users are some of the most intelligent and interesting people you'll ever meet in your life?

Guys like the OP and myself were/are so lucky to have places like this and the shroomery to help guide us into these waters. Guys going out doing shots and railing coke (nothing wrong with doing that, btw) don't get to go online and talk to literal fucking geniuses in chemistry and drug history to help them along.

Ya'll are some genuinely bad motherfuckers.

PS - I know that there are definite negative side effects that some people go through after using these drugs. I meant in general, it's a healthy and extremely happy community of jolly old heads and young wizards helping rookies like the OP along. Wonderful.

Cheers. :) Glad to see people appreciating it. This is why I love Bluelight.

I dont think it is wise to advise someone new to the world of psychedelics, probably young, maybe a minor to go out and identify Psychedelic Mushrooms with no training. Its best to have VERY trusyed and knowledgeable guide with to teach the art of finding psychedelic mushrooms. We all know that it can be dangerous

Also, you know MDA and MDMA from books only. I promise G-Chem know these two intimately. MDA has very little, subjectively and pharmacologically, with classical psychedelics. It does not produce the types of visions LSD and DMT would, and are
Much more in common with delusions. For example I once saw someone turn into a character from an MC Escher drawing, and often would drift inbetween delusional dreamy visions and waking reality.

I think the consensus that 2CB is a great beginner candidate. As would a low dose LSD or Mushroom trip. While they dont produce the same closed eyed patterns or visial distortions, MDMA and MDA do have a similar head space and feeling to psychedelics and would indeed be a good introduction to the headspace.

While I agree MDA can totally be delusional/delirious, especially on the tail end, I do feel it has a lot of classical psychedelic effects, although you'd have to take much too high of a dose to get them to be fully pronounced. MDA visuals reminds me of 2c-B/mushrooms/lsd, they have a classical psychedelic "look" to them. Its very different than taking LSD and MDMA certainly, but its almost what I imagine mushrooms and MDMA would be like (both come-ups hitting at the same time too, oof).

The first time I took MDA I remember it was a summer night so we just walked home from the concert as it started getting light in the morning and the visuals were pretty strong in a classical sense. Later though, I do remember trying to sleep on a couch going in and out of strange hyper realistic half-awake dreams.

The delusional/deliriant and thought looping that MDMA/MDA creates on the tail end I believe play a huge part in being able to use it in conjunction with LSD and nitrous to reach DMT-like visionary experiences.

Fantastic post, Kaleida - thanks!

A couple thoughts :

Interesting stuff on affinities for 5-HT3. What's particularly fascinating about this to me is what appears to be strong empirical evidence for the efficacy of ondansetron despite those findings. I wonder what that can tell us about the mechanisms of psychedelic nausea as well as ondansetron moving forward. We may have to adjust our model.

Regarding the possibility of MMDA, MDMA, sundry benzofurans, etc. as deleriants, I'm certainly out of my depth. But am I wrong to assume that ki values be damned very few people describe subjective experiences with elements typically associated with deleriants? Mind movies, tracers, color enhancement--sure. Conversations with people not there, spiders crawling under your skin, and overwhelming dread seem to me to be more within the archetype of the deleriant experience, and that doesn't sound representative of experiences with MDMA et al. Why that's the case given its binding affinities, I couldn't say.

Indeed, I was thinking that, thewre is strong and widespread reporting of ondansetron being THE solution for psychedelic-induced nausea. Then again it's great for nausea without psychedelics too, so I guess antagonizing 5-HT3 receptors in the gut just has that effect regardless.

I'd recommend dosing on the lowerside with LSD or Mushrooms, they are great introductions IMO.

My first trip was on two Spider-Man LSD blotters. It was an amazing introduction and I had a wonderful time. I was 13 years old (Which is quite young for psychedelic use) and had started smoking cannabis a year prior, it is recommended to start later though because your brain is still developing. When the acid first kicked in I was walking into the house through the back door. He could tell i was tripping I'm guessing from my massive pupils and the way I was talking/acting.

My father actually followed the Grateful Dead on tour in the 70's and sold LSD....so he was understanding. He told me to leave the house and go back to my friends before my mother saw me, lol. My father was such a beautiful person, I miss him dearly.

I remember calling my buddy and it just kicked in for him as well. Ended up meeting up with him and walking around all night having the time of my life. I'm really glad I had such a positive experience because it set the tone for the rest of my life. Had some mushroom trips directly afterwards and those we're successful also.

Go into your first trip with with an open mind and don't fight the effects as they begin to develop. I hope that you have a great time and get back to us on how it went. My first was 21 years ago and I hold my psychedelic experiences close to my heart.

Happy Trails!!

~Charlie

Last edited:
In my opinion 2-CB would be a horrible starters choice, I dont know the logic behind many people recommending it for first timers but the first time I tried it I just feel extremely weird like it wanted to be a psychedelic and not really at the same time and I was extremely uncomfortable (this was reagent tested 2-CB) and keep in mind I had eaten ton of shrooms before this, 5 strips of LSD, mescaline, DMT, etc....

In my opinion the best would be shrooms since they are more sedating than LSD in general and feel a little bit calmer and also dont last long so if you have a bad trip its over soon, they are also easier to accurately measure your dosage and know exactly how much you are consuming unlike with LSD blotters, mescaline containing cactus and ayahuasca brews, after shrooms I would say LSD, then ayahuasca and mescaline lasts, mescaline is the longest acting and for me was the most stimulating... not a good idea for a first timer, either shrooms in a small dosage or LSD from a trustable source in a small dosage and reagent tested.

I agree with all of this, but with LSD or mushrooms you should take a moderate or large dose, as long as you are prepared for it, do not have anything to do or do not have to drive anywhere, and you can always explore smaller doses of mushrooms or acid another time in small doses.

Also smoke herb while on acid or mushrooms, it is fun!

Last edited:
Jared, while I appreciate your experience, you had a very atypical reaction. Most people find 2C-B to be lovely, quite visual, empathogenic and easygoing/euphoric. I don't think it's a horrible suggestion at all. I have read of a few cases of bad experiences on it but I have read many, many times more bad experiences on mushrooms and LSD (both of which are much heavier psychedelics). The percentage incidence of difficult trips on 2C-B is very low if you look at a large collection of trip reports, compared to any psychedelic really, but definitely compared to LSD and ESPECIALLY compared to mushrooms. Personally I did do mushrooms as my first trip but there are SO many reports of first time bad/horrifying trips on mushrooms... for some mushrooms seem pretty easygoing but for many, they're among the heaviest of psychedelics.

At this point 2C-B has been around a long time and has seen heavy use and even more or less broken into the mainstream, so it's really not a research chemical anymore at this point, we know it's safe (as far as these things go). One thing we can 100% agree with is that a short duration substance is best for a first time, so in that sense mushrooms are a good choice, but 2C-B has a similar or even shorter duration, as well.

LSD or 2C- B depending on dose. Very gentle substances. Not sure why MDMA is being psychedelic.. Rolled many times and it's nothing like a real trip.idk just could be me.

I dont think it is wise to advise someone new to the world of psychedelics, probably young, maybe a minor to go out and identify Psychedelic Mushrooms with no training. Its best to have VERY trusyed and knowledgeable guide with to teach the art of finding psychedelic mushrooms. We all know that it can be dangerous
I completely agree with you. Eating mushrooms not identified to a 100% census to a species level is dangerous, probably fatal. I need to add that I have over 25 years of experience as hobby mycologist. The best thing to do when identifying a species of the big Genus Psilocybe is to be shown by a more experienced person.

All psys can make people nauseous and different people get it from different psys. Some are more sensitive than others and some psys are more likely to cause nausea (2c-e I'm looking at you).
That is true. I'm in the happy situation to be quite immune to the nausea caused by psychedelics. The only time I vomited on a 5HT2A-drug was when I dran an Ayahusca analogue.

My first trip was on two Spider-Man LSD blotters. It was an amazing introduction and I had a wonderful time. I was 13 years old (Which is quite young for psychedelic use) and had started smoking cannabis a year prior
I hope you don't recommend that to anybody! ;)

I first smoked cannabis at 18, only a few days after my school-leaving exam, then took a huge dose orally at 22, almost 23 (February 2004), and ate Psilocybe cubensis between Christmas and new year's eve that year.

Also smoke herb while on acid or mushrooms, it is fun!
Only if you know it increases the trip to an enormous state; if you recommend this to a beginner, he could easily have a too strong trip!

I also think that 5-MeO-tryptamines aren't good starter psychedelics. They produce significant bodyload, at the very least during the come-up [...] 5-MeO-MiPT is not a beginner's drug
What 5-MeO-substituted tryptamine do you think of the best choice for a beginner, if not 5-MeO-MiPT?

Last edited:
I don't think any of them are the best for beginners due to difficult/alarming come-ups. If I had to choose one, I would say it's 5-MeO-MiPT, though.

I wouldn't advise any of the 5-meos as someones first psy due to the potential for nausea/bodyload but if it had to be a 5-meo, then 5-meo-mipt.

@Shadowmeister:, @white55: I agree. My favourite recreation 5-MeO-substituted Tryptamine is 5-MeO-DiPT, though. I know that this is controversial due to the high bodyload, fortunately, this is not the case for me. Dosage and duration are more or less the same for me than with 5-MeO-MiPT (10 mg oral or a bit more. Warning: For most users, this is an overdose of 5-MeO-MiPT, but not for me! Obviously, my body physiology is different here for me). In slightly lower doses, it is also a great aphrodisiac.

Low dose dmt or preferably changa is a great starter psych.
Just a tiny puff can really give a balanced perspective what tripping can be.
Also it has a organic vibe that other substances lack.

100% true, but s/he cannot get it (yet).

2 hours ago, I ingested around 200 mg MDMA. That's the absolute maximum of starter dose with my body weight (well, a bit more, actually ;) ).

I just followed the rule D.M. Turner has written in "The Essential Psychedelic Guide" (requiescat in pace!). 3 hours later, I start to feel slight coming down.

PS: I want to sleep at 2:00 p.m., i.e. 7 hours after ingesting - how can I do so? I have 1 mg of Triazolam and shitloads of Etizolam.

Last edited:

Could you please clarify what do you mean by "organic vibe" and what does it entail for you?
Also what are the other substances that have you experienced that lack this quality?

2c-b is pretty sweet and I've imagine it not being pleasant, a trippy warm hug I always find it.