• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

pharmacy shorting my pain meds

oxyfen

Bluelighter
I suspected something, I kept running short even when sticking to my regimen so I started counting when leaving the pharmacy for the last 4 months I have been shorted my oxycontin and oxycodone. I know if I complain they are going to blame the "drug addict" or say I miscounted but I counted them three times each.

I know members here have been shorted, what did you do? I do not want to start shit so I have just kept it to myself for now.
Them shorting me means they do not care if I go through withdraws and that really pisses me off.
Ideas would be great.

You mention it and politely ask the pharmacist to recount them while you're present.

If you look at the quantity number usually at the bottom right of the label on the pill bottle there is usually an initial right over or near the the number of pills printed out because all schedule 2 controlled substances have to be counted twice. If you complain to the same person who is counting you might not get far, but if you can prove that you are being shorted the person that initials the bottle can be fired and face legal repercussions. If you succeed in proving your case you will be treated like royalty for the rest of your days at that pharm.

I suggest having them count when you pick your prescription. That's a serious offense for whoever is shorting you, and whoever is doing it will stop doing it to you after you ask for a count... that is if they aren't fired/jailed.

I've never been shorted, by I have actually been given a few extra pills before.

Are you suggesting they are pocketing pills? Sometimes my pharmacy doesn't have enough but they always tell me a d order more before I need them. It sounds sketchy is a new pharmacy a possibility? I don't understand why they'd risk their job over a few pills are then like Oxy 60 mg it sounds like maybe they have an addiction or are grossly below a acceptable level to be the professional that's often the last line between you a d a drug I'd go to another pharmacy . If they steal or are just unable to count pills and follow basic protocol to not make error idoubt they are checking for fatal interactions ECT. I feel like my pharmacist is a skilled professional who often is checking for interactions and Is very knowledgeable with all my questions and never had messed up my pills if your pharmacist isn't that go somewhere else. For all you know they could have a alcohol issue due to a loss in a family or whatever you don't know but for all you know one day your short pills the next day it's a wonder life and they give you a pill that fatally interacts with your meds because they grab the wrong bottle

This happens more often than you might think. We heard a story about a local pharmacy tech getting caught stealing hundreds of oxycodone pills. It was on the news just last week because numerous people were complaining that their meds were not the correct amount. Then the pharmacy manager started monitoring the woman and discovered it was true. She was a thief and now facing prison time.

When I was a pain patient, I saw a guy who would not leave the counter until he counted them in front of the pharmacist. At the time, I thought it was a pretty dramatic thing to do but now I can see why he acted that way. If you think you are being shorted, I would try that. It may be the only way to get this problem resolved.

Pharmacy technician is an entry level position and pays just above minimum wage, I did it at 18 still in high school. The place I worked for was a smaller pharmacy and they barely even had cameras. I never actually took anything, except a few pills due to be destroyed and a few that fell behind the counter.

I could see how easy it would be in some locations, I always thought of taking some pills (this was 2006) but could get over the fact it merges both theft and possession of narcotics into one action... not something i wanted to try.

If you look at the quantity number usually at the bottom right of the label on the pill bottle there is usually an initial right over or near the the number of pills printed out because all schedule 2 controlled substances have to be counted twice. If you complain to the same person who is counting you might not get far, but if you can prove that you are being shorted the person that initials the bottle can be fired and face legal repercussions. If you succeed in proving your case you will be treated like royalty for the rest of your days at that pharm.
they use to circle the amount and initial over it, now nothing.

I get 4 other prescriptions and they are not narcotics and they are always right on, I know they are "stealing" my pain meds, I never have 1 or 2 too many I am always short, I was 11 short this month. I believe I am going to ask them to count them in front of me after they give them to me. Is this what I should do, I want to do it tactfully.

There's a good chance they'll be a bit peeved by your request, but it's what you should do. If I were in your situation, I would tell them that you were shorted. You're probably not the only one it's happening to. It might also be easier to just switch to a new pharmacy

Yes I thought about this but are not most pharmacist "friends"? Just an example; I did heating and air servicing and most of us talked to each other whether or not we worked for the same company or not.

Someone very well may be stealing your pills. If I had to guess, its not the pharmacist because there are other ways (addiction of course is the wildcard, addicts do crazy shit for drugs). Have them count them as suggested. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Someone very well may be stealing your pills. If I had to guess, its not the pharmacist because there are other ways
If I pick up my pills and take them home and count them and they are short it can't be anyone but the pharmacy.

I understand but the pharmacy wont. You need to have them count the pills in front of you. Thats what I mean.

If it's a modern/ large chain pharmacy they should have an auto-counter that will count all your pills in like 10 seconds (without bias) so it's not like your asking a whole lot from them and the vindication would be priceless. Not that I condone burning people for drugs, but when they are yours...GAME ON.

Thank God but I have never been knowingly shorted any meds but this is exactly what I'd do if it happened to me regularly like it is to the OP here. When they handed me the bag with my pills in it, I'd pull back my hand and tell the tech to please remove the bottles and counted the meds right here and please note - I have not touched that bag! They have no choice but to do it and right there and then everyone in that pharmacy would know not to fuck with you. Sorry for the language but as a PM patient this kind of shit pisses me the hell off!!