• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Small & Friendly Firearms Thread v. Granddad's Garand

SKL

Bluelight Crew
The Firearms Thread

I think we've needed one for a while, and this seems like the best place for it. Here, feel free to discuss hand guns and long guns. This is the place to discuss the technical aspects of gun use, maintenance, construction, etc. as well as applications for self defense, target shooting, hunting, your military experience, etc. (Questions like "what would be the best handgun for a beginner for self defense purposes," "what is the best caliber for huting xyz," "what is your favorite AR platform," etc. are quite appropriate.)

I have copied (rather than moved/merged) some other posts from other threads elsewhere here with permission of respective moderators and would be more than happy to take other discussion of firearms here as it may not be appropriate in other forums (especially, e.g. when involved with discussing the drug trade.)

SIMPLE RULES—avoid any political debate; or discussion of future illegal activity including anything that could be interpreted as a plan for violent crime or a solicitation for firearms for the same or by other means which contravene federal, state or local law, or expect to get infracted. Further avoid posting any pictures of yourself posing with firearms.

Last edited:
The official AR build thread: opinions needed??

So I know there are some fellow muricans here. I've got a noveske lower receiver and everyone says you should put the same noveske upper to not hodge podge the gun together but I was thinking of going with a spikes for value/ quality. Do you think this is good or bad? People say they are pretty compatable but idk. Any tips welcome :)

I think that consistency is important as a general principle and an aesthetic one however I'm not an AR guy; on the other hand, I think we've long needed a "firearms general"/"gun thread" going in here so maybe this can get it started and we can back track a bit from there.

For serious self defense purposes for a female, but really for anyone, especially a novice to guns, you may live in a gun unfriendly area, but if possible i'd recommend an easily concealable 38 special s&w has some ones that could fit easily in a purse or a holster, have a good synthetic grip and manage recoil well; if you live somewhere as I do where gun laws are truly fascistic and can't (as I did) prove your need for a proper piece for home defense you should be at least get a shotgun but a good option might also be a smaller caliber lever gun which are quite fast to reload, reasonably accuracy and stopping power and not covered by 'assault rifle' legislation

In terms of long guns I'm really a big fan of the Ruger Mini-14 even though I have owned and shot an AR15 (noveske) and AK (well, type 56, just got it from some dude but that was a fun gun too)

Mine was furnished in wood but the above I just google searched and it's pretty

mine was more like, I think exactly like, but I forget the model #

5801.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like the M-1 ... .30 caliber carbine

That looks like the M-1 ... .30 caliber carbine

... actually does without the magazine

this is a slightly different mini4 model (I don't have any pictures of the one I actually had or remember exactly what the model # was so I'm just going on their website)

5816.jpg

and it does have a Garand style action harkening back to the M-1 but the mini 14 is in .223

for reference the m1 garand

garands1.jpg

ya can't knock the ak47 tho. it is durable af (so is the mini14 but in the minis case you have to rely on ruger parts or knockoff bullshit)
in a live or die situation i'd probably go with the ak too but as an all purpose weapon i go with the mini14
you can get 30 round mags and everything to trick out the rail of course

mini14 is in .223/5.56mm NATO takes either beautifully
love granddad's m1 too and the m1903 or mauser bolt action and that old school shit
that's the great a great thing about guns
as tools they're basically simple, and hardy
and there's a lot you can go with from there
but stuff that our grandfathers used still applies to us

btw I'm trying to get a gun thread going in SO; been meaning to get some serious discussion going on over there on the subject of which this might prove a basis i'll d/w mods done

Last edited:
The year was 1995. I lived in a share house with four other guys, several plants and quite a few guns.

We had BB guns for in door shooting range, 303's for shooting up shit when we went to our crop farmers once a month and a Russian made SK47 for ringing in the new year.

Looking back we were pretty fucking wild and zero fucks were given when we rode motorcycles across the city with weapons strapped to the side. Fast forward 20 odd years and I'm sure the neighbours would have called the Feds on us

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit that I'm really a big fan of the Ruger Mini-14 even though I have owned and shot an AR15 (noveske) and AK (well, type 56, just got it from some dude but that was a fun gun too)

Mine was furnished in wood but the above I just google searched and it's pretty

mine was more like, I think exactly like, but I forget the model #

5801.jpg

Why u wanna make things harder. Think we all know that hittin shit with an ar15 in .223 is like shootin fish in a barrel - theres almost no challenge.
I remember the first ar15 i shot - was scoped - could hit literally anything i aimed for under 100 m.

The year was 1995. I lived in a share house with four other guys, several plants and quite a few guns.

We had BB guns for in door shooting range, 303's for shooting up shit when we went to our crop farmers once a month and a Russian made SK47 for ringing in the new year.

Looking back we were pretty fucking wild and zero fucks were given when we rode motorcycles across the city with weapons strapped to the side. Fast forward 20 odd years and I'm sure the neighbours would have called the Feds on us

In farm country around here, its is normal for there to be a gun rack on the back of a truck with a few shotguns and rifles. Stop signs are bullet magnets.

peace, weed and firearms

Last edited by a moderator:
i use a ruger red label over/under 12 gauge to kill dove and pheasant. i absolutely love it. years ago my pops acquired through trade some fancy several thousand dollar beretta 12 gauge, and although we've never shot it -- it's unfired and he wants to trade it for his preference of 20 gauge -- i don't like it's feel in my hands half as much as the red label. i also have a ruger 10/22 which is fun and cheap, though i rarely fire it anymore because clay is more fun than plinking. i don't keep either in my home due to not wanting to buy a safe and mental health issues. plus the 12 gauge isn't technically mine -- though i'm the only person who maintains and uses it.

i strongly prefer 12 gauge for birds. although i can't remember the length, i do not use the largest shells it can chamber. maybe it will take 3" and i use 2 3/4". my dad likes to tell himself a 20 gauge with 3" is just as effective, but he and i both know that's not true. he doesn't really care; he's more about working the dogs and doesn't like how much a 12 weighs.

my dad just got a M&P40 because there are wild dogs on a farm he recently bought. it's not full size, because he's all about light guns. the thing is so snappy. i've only fired a few clips through it and didn't have ear plugs, but i hated it. the most similar gun i've fired for comparison is a full-size glock 9mm, and the glock was so much nicer to shoot and easier to keep on target. thing fires like a firm pillow. though i also think the glock is the most disgusting, disturbing thing i've ever held. felt like a power tool finely designed to destroy human flesh, which is exactly what it is. having to use that would be more grisly than a chainsaw.

on rifles ... my dad's friend has some tricked out ar15. i haven't shot it yet, but will and am looking forward to it. i'd also like to fire an ak, just because it's iconic.

Last edited:
some of those ruger shotguns are beautiful. never had one, I had a few shotguns but they were just basic whatevers.

ak's are indeed fun to shoot and iconic. we used to do some real redneck shit like this—droops probably knows what I'm talking about—with a single rubber band and a little practice you can pretty much simulate fully automatic fire and with a little more practice burst fire as well, it's not particularly safe, very awkward and incredibly inaccurate but it's fun to do out in the middle of nowhere (there was an abandoned quarry not to far from where I lived upstate where we used to go and just shoot the shit out of things) and, well, I suppose it could be useful in a zombie apocalypse type situation :p apparently they now make actual stocks which are designed for this which are apparently ATF legal which is a bit crazy ...

i managed to get a very difficult thing, the NYC pistol permit, because I knew some LE guys because they were always having to come to the clinic where I worked at and they helped me jump thru the hoops when a dangerous former client of mine moved in to my building; I still have my beretta m9 which I love, take it to the range once in a while, clean it and disassemble/reassemble it which is always kind of a meditative thing for me, can do it blindfolded :)

miss the fucking arsenal I used to have when I lived upstate in an area with sane gun laws though.

i have never held a firearm and i know next-to-nothing about them. the guns used in this TV show that i watch are pretty cool. the wiki has an endless amount of firearms to look at.
NSFW:
RX1hVLi.jpg

simulate fully automatic fire and with a little more practice burst fire as well, it's not particularly safe, very awkward and incredibly inaccurate
yeah, i've seen lots of mods and tricks on youtube like that.

it wasn't on purpose, but someone at the range i used to go to had some mp5 like gun that was civilian semi-auto but would bumpfire often when they shot it. i'm not sure if it was just cheap or if they didn't hold it firmly or what, but the range didn't think that was funny and i think the person ended up being asked not to bring it back. much more appropriate for an abandoned quarry.

Great thread SKL! I own a smith and wesson .22 rifle which looks just like an AR but it has the slide fire stock. You can make it fire fully auto but it is a novelty at best. And Im not sure how controllable a larger caliber would be tbh.

The first gun I had, other than the muzzle loader I made, was when I was 13. My father gave me a bag of parts completely disassembled. I figured out that it was a ruger mark 3 target pistol, got an assembly manual, and spent the afternoon putting it together. 22 cal ammo was very cheap and you could buy a brick of several hundred rounds for 5$. I used it to hunt squirrels and other small game.

The first gun I had, other than the muzzle loader I made

that sounds interesting, tell us about that!

was when I was 13. My father gave me a bag of parts completely disassembled. I figured out that it was a ruger mark 3 target pistol, got an assembly manual, and spent the afternoon putting it together. 22 cal ammo was very cheap and you could buy a brick of several hundred rounds for 5$. I used it to hunt squirrels and other small game.

squirrel hunting! good eating too and you can actually do a lot with the meat (although people will protest how cute they are) squirrel hunting with a pistol must've been interesting, I bet it taught you a lot of accuracy; I have fond memories of being 14-15 and bagging a half-dozen or so for a family meal; I hunted 'em with a air gun or marlin (also .22lr) lever gun, which can be just a bit of overkill for the squirrel (anything more certainly is), is also a classic and fun to shoot, will take all kinds of scopes and things but going elaborate kind of seems unfair to the squirrel, no? (cue Silly video about "tactical varmint hunting" of vastly outgunned prairie dogs) and patly missing the point (squirrel-hunting is damn good target practice)

For serious self defense purposes for a female, but really for anyone, especially a novice to guns, you may live in a gun unfriendly area, but if possible i'd recommend an easily concealable 38 special s&w has some ones that could fit easily in a purse or a holster

Purse carry is stupid. Why would you carry your gun where it can be so easily separated from you? Purse carry is a last resort, and only with a purse designed to carry a firearm, anything else is an unacceptable safety hazard.

Also, while a revolver is fine. I really resent the concept that women should pick revolvers because they're too stupid to handle a semiautomatic. And I know that's probably not at all what you were suggesting, but I do think it's a subtle part of the rationale behind recommending revolvers for women. Frankly if a woman or a man isn't willing to learn how to properly handle a semiauto they have no business carrying a gun to start with.

My 2 cents.

I said purse or holster, depends on preference and the situation. As for a revolver, it's not just about females, I've carried both, I would generally consider the revolver better for quick reaction. Here in NYC I don't have a carry permit which is practically impossible to get, I have only a permit for my home and to carry in a lock box to and from the range, etc. I keep my Beretta by my bedside with one in the chamber and the safety on. Carrying a semiautomatic around or even having it by my bedstand in condition zero is not the safest thing. Anyway, it's a matter of training yourself, if you've got the muscle memory down pat it doesn't matter what you're using, but if you're a novice I'd definitely recommend a revolver. I think my phrasing was unfortunate, I don't mean to say that women need different standards just because of their sex.