Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

• Total voters

ForEverAfter

Ex-Bluelighter
Filmed over 5 days in a suburban lounge room, with a budget of roughly $25,000. This is the best film I have seen in many years. It captures that feeling of wonder I used to get when reading high-concept sci-fi. Back before special effects ruined the genre. There are no pyrotechnic-laden explosions here. No CGI aliens.

Are they on ketamine?

Are they having a group hallucination?

There's a trend recently to build up curiosity without ever satisfying it. Lost is the best/worst example of this. The writers created an unsolvable puzzle. Lost was the dramatic equivalent of a punch-line without a joke. Coherence appears to be as incoherent as Lost, at first. But, it's not in the end. It is a complete, cleverly constructed narrative. A truly great mystery film. It asks a lot of questions and throws a lot of curve-balls, but it all makes sense in the end.

I highly recommend checking this film out. It's a real mind fucker.

Very trippy. Very clever. Extremely disturbing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been thirsting for some good sci-fi.

Watched it. Very eerie. I don't think I liked the end when

spoiler
NSFW:
the main girl displaced herself from a happier reality that hadn't ventured outside/become fractured... I think she should have dealt with the reality she had. It didn't really seem in the character that I seemed to get of her... So I didn't like that end... But I guess that's just me as far as I know

But the overall movie was good. It had a Primer movie feel to it. Trippy too.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As for the end:

NSFW:
Typically, films are required (for lack of a better word) to establish very clearly who characters are and what they are capable of. Unrealistically so. We know who the bad guy is and we know who the good guy is. Whether it's an evil glare, the twist of a moustache, or something a little more subtle. There are always hints, to help the audience identify who to root for and who to watch out for. Audiences don't like being surprised by characters. They like their fictional people to re-affirm what they want to believe about the people in their lives. So, since there is no clearly established character-specific narrative arc that steers her to act the way she does, you don't buy it. But, it's hard to say what's going on inside someone's head, isn't it? In this case, particularly, I'd argue it's impossible to even begin contemplating what she might be thinking. Under the circumstances, complete and utter madness is not out of the question. So, neither is murder. In real life, people do crazy impromptu things all the time. Husbands kill wives. Mothers kill children. If I was living in that nightmarish situation, all bets would be off in terms of my normal personality. When threatened, human beings - even the "good" ones - are capable of atrocious acts.

Furthermore, if you take into account the infinite nature of the overlapping multiverse: she both did what she did and didn't; like Schrodinger's cat being both alive and dead. All eventualities must play out. Her character murdered an infinite number of people. Her character also didn't commit murder an infinite number of times. Whether or not it is in her nature to murder is irrelevant. The film is an illustration of chaos and, in terms of mathematics, the plot (including the ending) made perfect sense.

I can't think of a better way to end the film, to get the point across that I believe they were driving at. We are all reactionary bodies, governed by influence, and free will does not exist. The true, chaotic nature of the universe - according to contemporary mathematics and quantum physics - is utterly horrifying. It had to end in a horrifying way and a seemingly inexplicable way: because, that is chaos.

The theories the film is exploring are extremely difficult to contextualize in a real world setting, and I think they did an absolutely amazing job. Personally I would've been severely dissatisfied if they'd opted out at the end and appealed to the audience's expectation that - in the absence of some kind of logical explanation - people are, by default, good.

My God, I am sober. My brain is working too fast.

Interesting- That does make sense, and I despite not liking how it played out, in a way (not feel good- really kind of terrifying... nightmarish), I get it. I didn't put it together like that, consciously. It just seemed kind of left field.

In retrospect, I see what you mean. It was probably best this way.

NSFW:
What happened at the end, when he- her guy got the phone call? Or was it a message? There were also two rings... So did the other version of her survive, and maybe escape? Was that the message or call? ...The way he looked at her.

Sorry I don't catch names very fast a lot of the time.

NSFW:
She (#2) wasn't in the bath tub in the morning. So, yes, the "other version" survived and there ended up being two of them. Just like there ended up being two rings. The phone call he got was from the "other version" of her, presumably ranting about how her Doppelganger - who happened to be standing right in front of him - had just attempted to kill her. I remember him saying something like "You're calling me," and laughing, before answering his phone.

I take it you were quite high when you watched the film?

My memory isn't the best. I had just woke up from a nap I think, too, when I began watching it at like 330 A.M. I don't really have a great excuse. Distracted/on phone, sleeping strangly all day (slept from 4 PM to 12 AM-- I usually sleep at about 7 AM or so and wake at 3 or 4 or so, I work nights so my sleep gets all weird on weekends... I woke at around midnight, then napped again after eating).

I wish I was getting high. Its been since February.

amazing. had chills all throughout the film. those thoughts in your post(#6) really help put it together. good lookin out on the post, wouldn't of caught this film otherwise.

reading the imdb page for it. dense, can't wait to watch it again knowing what i know now.

made me think of the bioshock infinite ending, with all the lighthouses.

Last edited:
Check out "Fractalus". It's a short film by James Ward Byrkit, the writer/director of Coherence. It's sci-fi, again, and there are some definite thematic/tonal similarities between the films. Having said that, Fractalus is much more comedic and MUCH weirder. It's also more reliant on special effects, but - again - it was clearly produced on a tiny budget.

(2005) Roughly 25 minutes long.

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808273/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_4