• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc A couple questions about phenibut

Burnt Offerings

Moderator: Drug Culture & CEP
Staff member
I actually only found out about this drug from reading this forum, so thanks Bluelight! It sounded like something I'd enjoy so I purchased some.

Anyway, I was just curious about a couple things:

1) what is a solid recreational dose for someone who's never taken it before?

2) how strong are the effects of it? I realize that there probably isn't a uniform answer to this question, but my particular occupation requires a relatively high degree of physical activity, so if it has a strong sedative effect I'd probably only be taking it at the end of the day I guess. Or is it primarily anxiolytic with not much sedation...?

1) A solid recreational dose would start off at 1 gram. It's possible that you'll need more, but start there and titrate up 500 mg until you hit your sweet spot.

2) If you take too much, it will certainly affect your performance. If that happens, you wouldn't exhibit signs of extreme sedation. You would exhibit signs similar to being very drunk.

A lot of people dont get recreational effects from Phenibut so dont go chasing a high that you might never find by taking very large doses.
Iv seen quite some people on different boards do this as they dont find responsible doses to be recreational so they end up taking like 3-5 gs in one go.
Dont do that, you will most likely end up puking and feeling sick for 1-2 days without getting the recreational effects that you are after anyways.

Natural tolerance differs a lot between people and this phenomena is pretty outspoken when it comes to Phenibut. 2 gs would be far too much for some (myself included) while others wont fell a thing from that dose. So start low and work your way up as Fractality adviced you to.

Phenibut arent very stong in effects (when compared to other GABAergics) but it definitely does something!
The effects will most likely be noticed more if you suffers from depression, anxiety, insomnia and/or stress as Phenbut can work very well for these conditions.
Phenibut will definitely decrease your performance with both physical and cognitive related tasks IF you dose too high, while smaller doses could do just the opposit.
Which is why I dose around 800 mg most of the time. With that dose I get the positive sides of the drug without any negatve impact on my overall performance.
I dont find that dose to be recreational at all though.

I've responded favorably to GABAergic drugs in the past, so I'm optimistic about it. Not really expecting anything in particular though, because obviously I've never tried it.

I took bout 750 mg the first time and barely felt a thing, most of it I thought was placebo if there was anything going on. Though sleep was easier to come by that night. I took 1.25 g the next time and I felt pretty damn good. Lots of energy with anxiety relief. Since then I ended up bumping the dose up to eventually 2 mg, maybe a little more. I stopped using it about month go, because I just don't feel great about taking that stuff all the time, its too untested for health risks. I was using it twice a week for a few months when I had to stay clean for a drug test. There was a few side effects I didn't like. A few times I got brutal headaches. My muscle would cramp on occasion. The stuff can be very enjoyable, but I didn't like those things. It really depletes you of potassium for some reason, I guess that explains the muscle cramps.

It typically goes:

Day 1: 1 gram
Day 2: 1.5 grams
Day 3: 3 grams
Day 4: 5 grams
Day 5: 8 grams
Day 6: Shit, maybe I shouldn't be taking so much...can't sleep. 10 grams.
Day 12: Damn! Damn! Damn! Why did I ever take this shit in the first place?! Damn! Infinite grams.
Day ?: Withdraw
Day ?: I'm in hell!

Moral of the story? Moderation is key. Never take more than once or twice a week. Tolerance builds quickly and addiction is easily obtained. Personally, I'd suggest flushing that garbage down the toilet.

Whatever you take, wait a few hours before redosing. I've been on it daily for awhile and it always takes 2-3 hours to work. I loved it at first, don't take it more than once a week or the effects won't be as nice.

Worst withdrawal symptoms I've experienced. Be careful;tolerance goes up fast and you'll want to increase the dose tremendously. Don't do it.

Well I'm about an hour and a half into it and I feel pretty good (at 1 gram). It has a nice anxiolytic effect similar to benzodiazepines, where I'm incapable of worrying about the things that usually preoccupy my mind constantly. The physical effects of benzodiazepines (sedation, muscle relaxation) aren't there but that's OK. It's pretty nice but I don't think I'll have to worry about craving it tomorrow.

UNLESS I WAKE UP TOMORROW AND FEEL FUCKING AWESOME.

Just kidding. I've heard too many dire warnings on Bluelight about riding the phenibut tiger.

It's not really recreational for me, but it does give great sleep (same as GHB but longer lasting). Tolerance builds insanely fast and it's easy to get addicted (and WDs supposedly suck). Wouldn't use more than 2 or 3 times per week at most.

It typically goes:

Day 1: 1 gram
Day 2: 1.5 grams
Day 3: 3 grams
Day 4: 5 grams
Day 5: 8 grams
Day 6: Shit, maybe I shouldn't be taking so much...can't sleep. 10 grams.
Day 12: Damn! Damn! Damn! Why did I ever take this shit in the first place?! Damn! Infinite grams.
Day ?: I'm in hell!

Moral of the story? Moderation is key. Never take more than once or twice a week. Tolerance builds quickly and addiction is easily obtained. Personally, I'd suggest flushing that garbage down the toilet.

Pretty much what happened to me, except I only took it for 3 days.

The first day I dosed 2 grams. Felt a little relaxed, not much else. 'They' told me it takes a few hours to kick in.

Second day, I became greedy and dosed around 5 grams in the morning, I'll be damned if this chemical doesn't get me buzzed, after all 'they' seem to be getting really high off this powder. Started feeling REALLY relaxed, and 'they' just got another tub of phenibut in the mail. Because my 100g tub was finished between the bunch of them in a day! So then I dosed another 5g twice later in the day. Felt an inexhaustible physical energy, like I could workout for hours. And mentally my IQ seemed to have raised 7 or 8 points, perhaps my focus was just dramatically increased.

The 3rd day I said, why not? And took 10 massive scoops of powder as I had fed the little Asian man (they called him 'Cheese') 30g of phenibut yesterday with no adverse effects. Granted he must have had tolerance. I was now 'rolling' on the third day of my unintended phenibut binge. The effects were as strong as a substantial dose of mdma. I was taking other nootropics to synergise with the 'bute', so I cannot attribute the dramatic effects to the phenibut alone, although 'they' were only taking phenibut and were quite silly off it. They told me I was going to be withdrawaling the next day, because it had already been 3 days in a row of continually dosing. I thought, how bad can phenibut withdrawal be? I haven't even been taking it more than a couple days.

Sometime the next day I felt as though I had entered into a living hell, I'm talking schizophrenic delusions and paranoia, feeling like I could have a massive seizure at any moment (if that's even possible?), and being afraid that if I called an ambulance the doctors (aliens) would kill me at the 'hospital'. I thought the drug I had taken was not phenibut at all, but rather a powder given to me by aliens who then abducted me and were taking me to planet Phenibut. I thought that the reality in front of me was a form of anesthesia the aliens were projecting onto my mind while they were performing tests...anyways enough about that all in all the delusions lasted about a week before they started to subside. I was afraid to tell a doctor what was happening because I knew they would scream schizophrenia, and that would lead to an institution.

All in all, don't fuck with phenibut. Never take more than the recommended dose at the recommended frequency.

Last edited:
Regular phenibut user here. I've been taking it for over a year. I've never dosed over 800mg once a week before bed. I get the same pleasant effect each time. I can't praise it enough. As someone who suffers from insomnia, depression and social anxiety, it's a revelation. I sleep well, I wake up feeling like I'm a happy-go-lucky young teen again, with the whole world in my hands. My day goes well and I feel effortlessly sociable. I wish I could feel that way every day. I guess that's why people lose it and get into trouble with phenibut. I spend the rest of the week struggling with my mood, suffering from sleepless nights every night, and I feel unsociable and anxious. Maybe phenibut just allows me to feel normal. That's a f**king good way to feel if you suffer from mental health issues, lol.

As already mentioned: once or twice a week. I wouldn't advise taking over 1g each time. Try taking before bed. Good luck :D