• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Good Documentaries v. is that a doc?

Just thought I'd subscribe by posting (too lazy to do it the normal way).
Josh I'll check that tomorrow when on my iPad. Thanks for link xxxx

Air Crash Investigation do love that show, in a weird way it makes me feel safer about flying

When Albums ruled the world.

A really fascinating documentary that has filled in some gaps in my musical knowledge; Ive discovered Carol King's Tapestry and Boston and some other 70s mega band ive forgotten allready. Bob Dylan was the first person in the early 60s to properly use the LP, And the LP gave him room to experiment creating 9-12 minute songs etc using the vinyl album as a means of recording songs other than 3 minute wonders suitable for release as singles. Seargent Pepper was the next great landmark milestone, then jimi hendrix pushed things further with electric ladyland, and the doors released the doors in the psychedelic era.

Then it was the 70s and the next great landmarks were dark side of the moon (they reckon people will still be listening to this in a 100 years as its so good and it was in the top selling album charts for 14 YEARS 8o, fucking incredible) and tubular bells (all major record companies rejected it, apart from richard branson's fledgling independent music label, Branson knew that it had something) before never mind the bollocks came along. Noel Gallagher said "ive recorded ten albums and none of them are a patch on this, i'd give them all up for this, and im an arrogant bastard". Correct. =D I suddenly like noel gallagher a lot more than i did before. :)Then finally the cassette and MTV killed off the album. Its hay day was the 70s, around the time of Fleetwood Macs Rumours, where pratctically every adult household was said to own a copy.

Last edited:
BBC Horizon

One of my fave series is that. One of those rare documentary series that somehow manages to make more or less everything it covers interesting. Like the swanky camerawork too - gives it a nice sense of style. That is one thing I do give BBC a lotta credit for - they make stuff look good, rather than just churning out cheap-looking stuff. Cue traditional bitching 'bout the TV Licence, remind folk you only have to pay it if you watch live TV so there is a legal alternative if you really can't - or won't - pay.

Horizon - Infinity - A particularly head-mangling one that I'm rather fond of. Watched a few times, can't rightly say I really get it in any kinda instinctive way all the same. Rather doubt anybody does.

Horizon - Fermat's Last Theorem - Mathematics made moving. Another one that I'm rather fond of from years back.

Was pottering around iPlayer this morning to find summat to watch with me wakey-wakey coffee and brekky and came across Lost Kingdoms of Africa. I've seen Lost Kingdoms of South America but the African version seemed to completely pass me by. That there linky is to a PooToob playlist of both series. Interesting stuff. There's very little info on African history around compared to just about any other part of the world so is mostly all new to me, and likely new to y'all too.

Cities of the Underworld S3E03 Real Mafia Underground (Sicily)

Watched several of these tonight and mostly really quite interesting. Some good stories attached to assorted tunnels, holes, bunkers, caves, sewers and the like in various places. Sicily/Mafia one was particularly interesting. Thought mafia tales had been done to death but pretty much all of these were new to me. I'm sure folk with tellybox will have seen 'em but as I haven't I haven't.

Meth - feature length doc about heroin. Actually no, it's about meth. Snappy title. Mostly about the P&P scene in the US (if you don't know what that is you probably don't want to) but worth a watch even if really not your thing cos is an excellent portrayal of addiction in general. Doesn't really matter that it's meth in the gay scene - it's addicts talking about addiction and I could relate to most of it... with obvious exceptions in places. One of the better meth docs I've seen and definitely captures the addict lifestyle and mentality far better than most.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0427312/] Grizzly Man[/url] is a pretty good doc. It's basically a very eccentric man who spent the summer months in bear land filming himself with them often up close and personal.

A lot of it focuses on his death as he was killed by a bear towards the end of his 13th summer (not a spoiler)

It's a good doc because it's unbiased and doesn't only glorify him, but gets interviews from people who thought he was both in the wrong and right in what he was doing.

edit; I've messed up the link, will fix it when I get on a computer

Yeah that's a great doc, i didn't see it ending any other way really

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0427312/] Grizzly Man[/url] is a pretty good doc. It's basically a very eccentric man who spent the summer months in bear land filming himself with them often up close and personal.

A lot of it focuses on his death as he was killed by a bear towards the end of his 13th summer (not a spoiler)

It's a good doc because it's unbiased and doesn't only glorify him, but gets interviews from people who thought he was both in the wrong and right in what he was doing.

edit; I've messed up the link, will fix it when I get on a computer

I will have to watch that, I love that sort of thing. I think i may have seen it, but cant remember it, does he kind of invent a 'bear language' where he sings to the bears or something like that ? I loved 'Into The Wild'. Have you seen that film where the young guy sets off alone to the wilderness of Alaska finds some old abandoned bus to make a home in, and has an insanely close and strange encounter with a Grizzly Bear ?

I'm currently watching some 10 part series about Alaska "Ultimate Survival Alaska" which I'm really enjoying, 3 different teams have to travel a certain distance in 90 hours or something, and each team picks a different route, if they dont make it in time they get left behind. One of the guys considered himself and the other people there 'that people who love the wilderness, like us, are not well adjusted to modern society, we are throw-backs.' I sort of agree and identify with that. One guy went gold panning, and found a $400 nugget of gold in his first pan. I'm partially tempted to do something mad like spend all thats left of my money and go gold panning in Alaska after i finish my benzo taper, and whilst i 'readjust' once its done.

Last edited:
I watched Grizzly man again last night. I had seen it before at my sisters house, but my brother in law was laughing his head off at the guy - Timothy Treadwell - all the way through it, i can see why some people might consider him a funny/crazy/fool which ultimately he was. Naming all the bears and foxes with ridiculous names like Mr Chocolate and Gertrude. Thinking he could become one of the bears and that they would respect him and not just see him as lunch. Quite amazing that he got away with it for 13 years.

There's no spoilers here, the guys death gets mentioned extremely early on in this typically weird and wonderful Werner Herzog film. Treadwell didn't sing to the Bears so much as speak to them like an American Julian Clary, my memory was getting mixed up with the weird oo-yip oo-yip ooo song at the end, that sounded like Bruce Springsteen but wasn't. Treadwell hated the world of people, and is raging at the park wardens and government and tourists, when he had an altercation at the airport over his tickets he returned to Alaska much later in the year than he was normally there.

Nice summary.

Got that oo yip coyote song up on youtube as soon as I heard it, very catchy :)

Catchy, if a bit melancholic. Or maybe that was just in the context of the ending of the film.

Blackfish. available on Netflix. it's about Orcas. it'll make you cry.

I watched that the other night :( - put us both on major downers. Such a gloomy but interesting documentary (about captive Orcas and the way that Sea World covers it all up when they kill/eat the handlers etc)

(Actually I think I was rambling about this in here at the weekend?)