• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Pressure in scalp after mdma

Dynamo how you hanging in thee?

Hey Badroll. Really relived for you that your tests came out positive, how are you doing these days? Do you also have anxeity attacks ? I have never been eating so Healthy or exercised as much as i am now, so i dont really know what Else to do than to stay on track and keep it up, have been concidering weather i should see shrink, and perhaps get some medicine for the anxeity, im just not in a position where i Can afford it without Living on scraps.

Fuck when they Said dont do drugs they ment it, Guess I had to learn it the hard Way.

Have been talking to the guys i rolled with that one night and they're all fine, one of Them does it pretty much every weekend, and he's never had anything like this.

Hey guys, doing better here. The pressure has faded to where i Can only feel it when im tired and after drinking alcohol. The anxeicty comes when im stressed but isnt as strong as it was.
So im def recovering, Thank you for assureing me that i would get better, you have helped me through a really though time.

Dynamo, your inbox is full bro. Congrats so far on feeling better. Me and you are around the same phase in our comedown and had the same symptoms. Almost at four months and only thing is head pressure/ tingling from time to time. I have noticed that it happens when I'm sleepy or anxious like you said. Have you been drinking , smoking or anything.on a scale from 1-10 how bad does your head get some time. I just want it to go away permanently. Does your head feel warm sometimes? Anyways, congrats!

Hey everyone.

My condition is at a stage where I'm confident that i will recover 100 %, the pressure has faded to the point where i can hardly feel it, however when i drink alcohol the hangovers are terrible, the pressure comes back and also the anxiety seems to resurface, im at a point where i can drink 3 beers anything after that will send back in my recovery. Also too much coffee seems to feed the pressure.

I wish i had never touched this shit, i mean I've had some amazing times on it but fuck the long-term comedown from this has been one of the scariest times in my life, not knowing what i had done to myself and the fear of being permanently stuck with this has been a nightmare, I have talked to the people i know rolled with me and some of them still roll every weekend, im really worried about them and they don't seem to take what i've been through into consideration, my hope is that if someone out there is suffering from the same as i did, they will find some solace in the fact that Im doing better and know that what you're going through is temporary, be patient and take care of your body. Someday it will be behind you.

It's good to hear. When I took a heavy dose almost three months ago I was dealing with pressure in my head, tingling sensations, and other strange sensations. It went away for the most part about 2 weeks ago until I had a cup of tea with caffeine. After drinking the caffeine my head was throbbing and now two weeks later I not only get tingling sensations, physical pains in my brain, burning sensations but also numbness in my brain that happens everyday on/off. Dynamo - did you ever experience this? How are your symptoms now? Are you having any cognitive issues? I would be at a neurologist already but I know this is from taking too much MDMA three months ago and drinking that cup of caffeine brought back many symptoms. It really is scary what I'm dealing with. I'm almost positive it will fade with time. I had two friends that took the same dose as me and they are fine. It seems like some of us are more susceptible to MDMA damage based on our brain chemistry.

Here may be an explanation for what I and many others are going through when it comes to scalp/head tingling/pressure sensations in the brain (long read but worth it) -

The following quote is from this thread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...ecstasy-Normal by a blue lighter named First Bad Comedown:

In all my searching I never found a great explanation for why the sensations on the face and scalp take place.
It is known that the cranial nerves are wired directly to the brain without traveling to the spine.
And it is also known that serotonin directly influences regional blood flow in the brain.

In my opinion, altered rCBV - or Regional Cerebral Blood Volume - is the culprit you are looking for.
And fluctuations in serotonin are causing this to occur.

Good news: MDMA research has shown that alterations to rCBV eventually correct themselves.
A drop in rCBV is common, with some MDMA users being unaware of any cognitive changes.
But increases in rCBV are directly associated with anxiety, depression, brain zaps, insomnia, and psychotic behavior.
It is a direct indication of neurotoxicity - beyond that seen in most users.

Big surprise - if the phenomena of 'brain zaps' (which is easily located on BL) does not convince people that the drug is damaging their brain, what can?
A similar and alarming phenomena has been reported by a minority of SSRI users that discontinue their medication.
The 'serum' that 'tones' that intestines is far reaching in its effects.

The paper I read involving repeated fMRIs on a group of current and former MDMA users showed that restoration of normal rCBV (in those with severe increases) is achieved around 12-18 months of abstinence. This finding overlaps that seen in psychiatric studies that illustrate a resolution of anxiety and depression between 1-2 years of recovery.

This information does not necessarily reflect what is happening to you.
Rather it serves as an example of what to expect when real brain damage does occur in an MDMA user.
To further the overlap, a similar 1-2 year recovery process is observed in SSRI users that develop major depression and sexual dysfunction following discontinuation.

In both groups, there are exceptions that go beyond 4 years or even develop 'permanent' life-long changes, but the trend is towards recovery in 12-18 months. I have personally observed, also in both groups, that attempts to interfere by taking more medications/drugs is the greatest cause of delayed or absent recovery.

I highly recommend a drug-abstinent lifestyle - and to avoid taking prescription medication handed out by doctors who falsely believe they have a command of the bodies most complex neurotransmitter.

In my experience on BL I have found that those reporting brain zaps, or tingling on their scalps, in the first few days post MDMA tend to recover more quickly than the 12-18 month group.
Disturbances in sleep are VERY common.
Typically it takes 4-12 weeks for members of this group to return to normal.

If you go beyond three months with sensations still occurring, or if you develop severe anxiety, you may belong to the second group that requires 1-2 years. Considering the modest history with MDMA that you describe this is VERY unlikely.
However, I only reached 30 tabs lifetime before a catastrophic reaction, serotonin syndrome, occurred.

The cause of my downfall was the habit of redosing every time I rolled.
A mountain of data on rodents and primates indicates that repeated doses of MDMA causes more and more damage to higher brain serotonin nerves. Every time you take more MDMA, more serotonin is depleted - which allows more toxic metabolites of dopamine to enter the serotonin transporter and receptor site. What follows is the spilling of mitochondria from cell membranes, and the subsequent formation of lipid peroxide!

The exact dose that causes detectable damage is not known in humans, and likely varies from person to person.
But it can be concluded with certainty that repeated exposure, especially on consecutive days, causes real 'brain damage' in human MDMA users.

If you often took more than one dose you may be in for a longer recovery.
But chances are that you will emerge from this state within weeks.
Even if you are destined to suffer, the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor - even heavy repeated users 'recover' eventually.

Last edited:
Guys, I understand these types of posts are hopeful, but I wouldn't believe these technical speculations so readily. I can tell you there are a lot of flaws in that post by FBC.

It's good to hear. When I took a heavy dose almost three months ago I was dealing with pressure in my head, tingling sensations, and other strange sensations. It went away for the most part about 2 weeks ago until I had a cup of tea with caffeine. After drinking the caffeine my head was throbbing and now two weeks later I not only get tingling sensations, physical pains in my brain, burning sensations but also numbness in my brain that happens everyday on/off. Dynamo - did you ever experience this? How are your symptoms now? Are you having any cognitive issues? I would be at a neurologist already but I know this is from taking too much MDMA three months ago and drinking that cup of caffeine brought back many symptoms. It really is scary what I'm dealing with. I'm almost positive it will fade with time. I had two friends that took the same dose as me and they are fine. It seems like some of us are more susceptible to MDMA damage based on our brain chemistry.

Here may be an explanation for what I and many others are going through when it comes to scalp/head tingling/pressure sensations in the brain (long read but worth it) -

The following quote is from this thread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...ecstasy-Normal by a blue lighter named First Bad Comedown:

i would like to hear where did you find those flaws, i cannot believe 100% everything, but for me every opinion as subjective as it is,its a puzzle piece in this complex issue. i would like to hear your own thinking about those brain zaps. until today for me they are less severe as they were to the point i need to concentrate in they to feel them, now im sure they will be forever out my scalp, my body nonstop healing mechanics working, but like a human, i need an answer, even if this is not accurate, is better than nothing :(.

derok I want to give you a hug man.

Did you improve any cognitive function during your comedown? Did you have any cognitive problems at all?

Guys, I understand these types of posts are hopeful, but I wouldn't believe these technical speculations so readily. I can tell you there are a lot of flaws in that post by FBC.

I said it may explain what some are going through. In my situation the theory First Bad Comedown came up with would logically explain what I have gone through. I was having the head pressure/tingling after a high dose of MDMA. When the tingling went away/became less significant so did my anxiety that was induced by MDMA. Since drinking caffeine about two weeks ago the head tingling/pressure came back with a vengeance along with other symptoms (including numbing and burning sensations in my head and my anxiety is back). His theory makes sense for my situation but obviously you have to take every post like First Bad Comedown's with a grain of salt and make your own opinion.

Hi Derok and MindOverMatter,

The ultimate message by First Bad Comedown is a positive one, in that the scalp sensations and brain zaps seem to improve over time and in many cases entirely vanish. This is supported anecdotally by several people on this forum. Although I dont know of any data in the medical literature to support this in the setting of MDMA abuse, the fact that we see this trend based on personal reports on this forum is encouraging, and highlights the power of Bluelight to fill in the gaps left open by the published medical literature on this topic. So I think everyone reading these forums who are experiencing scalp pressure and brain zaps can maintain some hope since others are improving, they have a decent chance of improving as well.

The weakness of Bluelight, however, is to correlate the prognosis of these symptoms we suffer with hard data in the literature, as well as our poor ability to correlate our symptoms with neurophysiological theory and studies. One reason is because of the paucity of definitive prospective studies that examine the long term outcome and effective treatment of the various symptoms we experience. However, ScaredFirstTimer may show you some new very long-term studies that have emerged over the last year, albeit retrospective, that look at the very long term outcomes of some of the symptoms we experience, if you dare to read it. :)

The other reason is that most of us do not have the neurophysiological background to properly explain our symptoms. I think in First Bad Comedown's desperate attempt to understand his situation and to find a solution, he acquired as much neuroanatomical and physiology theory in a short time period as possible, and then extrapolate from that knowledge a speculative theory on exactly what is going on in our brains. However, inevitably, although I find him to be extremely smart, since he does not possess the theoretical foundation required, his theories will be based on misinterpretations and faulty associations of the underlying physiologic mechanisms driving the studies he read. However, FBC's main message, that clinical recovery is often seen in the 12-18 month range, is good, and if he has read the studies that support that claim then more power to us suffering. I think that main message of his, along with the anecodotal improvement we see among users on this site, gives us hope, and that is what Bluelight is all about.

If on the other hand, we look beyond FBC's main message, and try to dissect his arguments more scientifically, I don't think everything he says makes perfect physiologic sense, and I don't think I would put too much faith in his more technical assertions. For example, in his post that has been reposted by MindOverMatter, FBC attempts to assert that the face and scalp sensations are related to altered cerebral blood flow induced by MDMA damage. I think he is trying to draw parallels to the mechanisms underlying migraine headaches. One theory behind migraines is that vasodilation in the arteries/arterioles to the scalp/dura occurs due to a serotonin disturbance. This is why medications such as the triptans, which are 5-HT1 agonists seem to be effective in migraines. This mechanism may similarly explain why some of us experience these sensations in our scalp, as the 5HT-1 activity innervating the blood vessels in our scalp is significantly decreased, but in our case this is very unproven.

Also, unlike FBC's claim, I dont think that the vascular supply or innervation to the scalp or dura, which are the major pain generators in the head causing headaches/weird sensations have anything to do with rCBV, or regional Cerebral Blood volume, since the vascular supply to these structures come from the extracranial circulation, and rCBV pertains to the intracranial circulation. The anterior scalp and face derives much of its blood supply from the facial and superficial temporal arteries, which is a branch off the external carotid artery, with some anastamotic connections from the ophthalmic artery. The dura surrounding the brain is derived largely from the middle meningeal artery, which is also from the extracranial circulation. There is no evidence that the blood flow via this artery to the scalp is compromised or altered after MDMA use, nor is there evidence that blood flow in this distribution resolves over time. However, it IS theoretically possible, however, since the precapillary arterioles from the facial artery in the scalp are enriched in 5HT-1 receptors, which regulate the smooth muscle tone surrounding these vessels. This scalp perfusion however, cannot be measured by rCBV, however, since vascular supply to this area is separate from the cerebral circulation.

If instead, you attempted to explain the sensations in your scalp via cerebral blood flow, then the argument again by FBC has some flaws. You have to first understand what rCBV really is. rCBV is a parameter, along with cerebral blood flow (CBF) and mean transit time (MTT), to measure the perfusion of various areas of the brain. In a stroke, for example, when you have an obstruction in of the main arteries at the skull base, the CBF to the area of the brain which is supplied by the involved area is markedly decreased, and the MTT of blood flowing into that area is thus increased. The brain responds by dilating end arterioles and capillaries in that region of the brain in order to decrease the overall resistance in the circuit and optimize blood flow, and this dilation results in increased rCBV (since the vessels are dilating as a compensatory attempt, the volume in a "pixel" of a brain perfusion scan that is being taken up by blood vessels is increased). So in the setting of an ischemic stroke, increased rCBV correlates with decreased blood flow.

These small arterioles, in some parts of the brain, are highly populated with 5-HT1 receptors, which when activated, facilitate constriction. These vascular receptors seem to have the highest density in some parts of the basal ganglia, thalamus, and striate (visual) cortex. Not suprisingly, several studies that look at CT/MR perfusion or SPECT scans in people with MDMA abuse show altered CBF and CBV in these same areas. It is likely this is the cause of the very rare hemorrhagic strokes post MDMA ingestion reported in a few case reports in the literature.

However, the scalp and dura are innervated by the trigeminal nerve and upper cervical spinal nerves such as the greater occipital nerve. The trigeminal nerve provides sensation, including light touch, vibratory, pain and temperature sensation, to your face and anterior part of your scalp. The trigeminal nerve arises from the mid-pons section of the brainstem, proceeds along the skull base to its next major relay station (Gasserian ganglion), then branches and and leaves the skull via various foramina to go the face. The blood supply to the nuclei of the trigeminal nerve arises largely from the anterior inferior cerebellar artery as well as short and long pontine perforators, and the Gasserian ganglion likely derives its supply from the tentorial artery off the meningohypophyseal trunk. However, neither of these areas have been shown to have altered CBV/CBV after MDMA abuse based on those studies. Therefore, there is nothing to suggest FBC's claim that altered rCBV affects the trigeminal nerve, thus causing these scalp sensations.

It is true that some of these studies have shown restoration of cerebral blood flow over time. However, there has been no evidence to show that the resolution of clinical symptoms correlate with the restoration of normal blood flow in the brain. If the abnormal scalp sensations are a result of a vascular problem to the scalp, then it is independent of CBV/CBF, and there is no good data I found as to how this resolves. If this is simply due to altered serotonin transmission, due to neuronal dysfuction, in the trigeminal nerve or principal trigeminal nucleus or spinal trigeminal tract, then again we don't have good data as to how this resolves. However, as I mentioned in the beginning, the anecdotal information on here that this problem does get better in several people carries far more weight than any unsupported theoretical speculation.

Last edited:
ScaredFirstTimer - thanks man!! :D . Yes i use to have cognitive problems, speech, my writing, my memory, my mathematics skills where severe affected, but a high percent of this declive was caused for a extra activation of the brain along the comedown. you cant think clear cause there is some trigger in your brain that keep you unfocused . i can say even i can play games better now (shooters, Real time strategy, simulation..this stuff makes your mind go mad for the time you are playing) .

I much better now i can say it, not perfect and some days i still can feel like some bad days ago, but my mind its pretty much like it used to be. its a weird thing but the "suicide thoughts" sometimes comeback, but everytime less. i stop my diary, i dont need it anymore from now, but this bad days now could be 3 days a month or so. Even when you know you are better your mind can keep you in such a pessimistic state that make you think about it life deserve to go on.

zebrafish, thanks a lot for such a bunch of information. i dont know if you are in the health field , but your opinion is welcome and for me make a lot of sense to think about it.
i have to add that when i having "feelings" suchs as happyness, i listen a cool song in the radio unexpected, i eat something tasty, i have a orgasm..(im serious here) , things that to healthy people gives goosebumps also...i can feel that the places where my brain is more affected are those where the brain zaps used to be located. the same that when i drink alcohol or that time i smoked weed while recovering (and this was a fail absolutely). i dont know if everybody felt this too.