• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Avoiding Caffeine Tolerance (weird choice of drug, I know)

HCL

Bluelighter
Most people use caffeine to compensate for sleep deprivation. I use it to for an entirely different purpose.

Caffeine has a somewhat unusual effects on me. It gives me a significant mood boost, and a nearly complete suppression of anxiety (it seems to transform it into excitement). It also makes me laugh really easily. These effects last for hours because I repeatedly drink small amounts of it, adding up to anywhere from 300-500 milligrams in the course of a day.

The drawback to this is that I have to be concerned about avoiding tolerance and physical dependence, which would quickly ruin these effects. Caffeine addiction is usually minor, but I suspect my reactions would make it a more serious problem than for most people. I know I am not currently addicted to it because I lack withdrawal symptoms, but I may have built up a small amount of tolerance over the last few weeks. Since it's basically the only psychoactive that is legal and safe for someone my age, this is a significant issue.

Does anyone have any idea how often I could drink it without building up tolerance and dependence? I've typically achieved this by abstaining for a week or two, but I wonder if there's any way to use it more frequently.

Nope.

The only way to prevent tolerance to anything (slowing the process down but not stopping it) is to take less, less frequently...

Nope.

The only way to prevent tolerance to anything (slowing the process down but not stopping it) is to take less, less frequently...
Well, you can reset it if you avoid taking something for a while, although the drug will still become less exciting over time as it loses its novelty.

I should probably stop using it as a means to make my day less boring. That seems to have led to more and more frequent usage.

Caffeine does begin to lose it's effects after awhile, I mean I look at my dad who used to drink 8 cups of coffee per day everyday (he has a fucking iron gut) and it wouldn't even phase him, but when he slowed down he would get powerful headaches.
Caffeine withdrawal headaches I've heard can be as painful as tobacco withdrawal headaches

Caffeine does begin to lose it's effects after awhile, I mean I look at my dad who used to drink 8 cups of coffee per day everyday (he has a fucking iron gut) and it wouldn't even phase him, but when he slowed down he would get powerful headaches.
Caffeine withdrawal headaches I've heard can be as painful as tobacco withdrawal headaches

I can relate. Every morning I used to pop a caffeine pill, 2 Excedrin and drink 4 cups of coffee within two hours of waking up. Like you dad I never even felt it. It got to the point that whenever I had a day off and slept in I would have a horrible headache.

So does anyone else here react to caffeine in the same way as me? A few people have told me these effects will occur in many people without tolerance, but I'm not sure how common they are. The anti-anxiety stuff in particular is the exact opposite of what many medical sites speak of.

I drink a cup or two a day, having a sip every hour & a half. This works well for me.

Most people use caffeine to compensate for sleep deprivation. I use it to for an entirely different purpose.

Caffeine has a somewhat unusual effects on me. It gives me a significant mood boost, and a nearly complete suppression of anxiety (it seems to transform it into excitement). It also makes me laugh really easily. These effects last for hours because I repeatedly drink small amounts of it, adding up to anywhere from 300-500 milligrams in the course of a day.

The drawback to this is that I have to be concerned about avoiding tolerance and physical dependence, which would quickly ruin these effects. Caffeine addiction is usually minor, but I suspect my reactions would make it a more serious problem than for most people. I know I am not currently addicted to it because I lack withdrawal symptoms, but I may have built up a small amount of tolerance over the last few weeks. Since it's basically the only psychoactive that is legal and safe for someone my age, this is a significant issue.

Does anyone have any idea how often I could drink it without building up tolerance and dependence? I've typically achieved this by abstaining for a week or two, but I wonder if there's any way to use it more frequently.

I have trouble feeling any adverse effects from dextroamphetamine, but caffeine? You're good dude.

I have trouble feeling any adverse effects from dextroamphetamine, but caffeine? You're good dude.
My usage is the result of never being desensitized to caffeine in the same way that most people are. My parents wouldn't let me have any when I was younger, so I never even drank a full Mountain Dew until middle school. This had some novelty effects the first few times, but it soon stopped being exciting and scary. I figured it was basically ineffective for anything other than staying up late, which didn't really interest me.

Around my first year of high school I started experimenting with larger amounts. These went up to 316 milligrams a day, but my chosen delivery method (two-liter bottles of soda) almost always gave me stomach problems. The anti-anxiety effect was only minor, as my coping skills were weak.

Now, on the other hand, my coping skills are much stronger and the caffeine-induced mood boosts bolster them to the point that I can enter into all sorts of socially difficult situations without any real nervousness. I've mainly switched to dissolving caffeine pills in one-liter bottles of soda, and this seems to eliminate the stomach issues. Energy drinks work too, but my mom has an irrational fear of all the other questionably-effective "stimulants" in them.

At times I wish I could get actual euphoria from it, but since caffeine is basically the safest psychoactive there is I don't mind too much. Besides, my other options are very limited and generally much more dangerous.

EDIT: I actually got a sort of minor delirium once. I had a bad headache, I felt overstimulated, and after the mood-raising effects wore off I kept getting mad at everybody and everything. But I suspect this was partially due to being in some very loud and crowded environments. I don't do well with those.

Last edited:
This is a question I would like an answer to. I used to drink 500mg a day and then cut back cold turkey. I had withdrawals for a week and now when I drink coffee I feel amazing - energy boost, motivation, excitement and enhanced concentrated skills. It just puts me in a good mood.

But I was wondering as well how much I can get away with without building a tolerance. I don't want to have to up my intake to keep getting the positive effects. It has helped me so much in the last few weeks to write my thesis. I never realised what it was actually capable of.

So far I've been doing two - three days with a 80mg cup of coffee alternated with earl grey tea on other days and some 'natural' energy supplements with guarana and ginseng.

I find that 200mg in the morning and 200mg (optionally) after dinner is enough for me. I've been doing it for probably 6 months or more and the effects still are worthwhile.

Caffeine doesn't seem to build too much of a tolerance if you're not taking it in multiple doses throughout the day.

^I could never fall asleep drinking coffee that late

It definitely does build a tolerance, though.

Try taking a day or two off per week and see where it gets you.

OP-yes i get a mood and energy boost from caffeine, but do not get any anti-anxiety effect..it raises my anxiety tbh, im much more irritable on it but it does give extra boost in motivation and energy...problem is, this effect doesnt last and there is always usually a crash at the end where you feel even worse than before you took it..this is why people chugging it all day long..

in my case, i notice the positive effects start to lessen big time the more often i take it..caffeine maintains its effectiveness if taken once a day, thats it...i notice for me if i start taking it 2-3 times a day that energy boost i get from it lessens and i actually start to feel more tired throughout the day..consuming caffeine 4-5 times a day will lead to fatigue and increased tiredness in my experience..basically u will feel like crap all the time..

yep, caffeine withdrawals sucked..bad headaches that wont go away, i even had joint pain and of course lethargy..lasted about 5-6 days..problem is, i end up always going back to caffeine because my sleep patterns suck or i need that extra boost..it sucks..

Not a wierd choice at all, I love caffeine. I'm always tired when I wake up in the morning, and coffee (read: not even half a mug!) perks me right up. I do this monday through friday and it always works.

I know the effects you talked about, OP. Caffeine before class lessens my social anxiety and puts me in a humourous state of mind for sure.

Tolerance… well for the past… 3 days I've been drinking monster energy drinks and they've worked from the first sip. Although, Sunday I had a half can, Monday I had a whole can, and yesterday I had two. (Today I'm going to have 3! no haha.) I guess anywhere from a day to a week between your last usage would ensure you don't build tolerance, but I can't say I've experienced any.

~kAnDy!♥

^^damn i hate energy drinks or Monster, Red Bulls..they have the caffeine but also calories and leave ya feeling full...i just buy caffeine pills, Jet Alert at wal-mart, very cheap..

Even with light tolerance I also experience a similar high to yours from coffee; it gives me a great mood boost, and makes it easier to just talk to people (normally I'm very socially inhibited). I don't enjoy relying on it though so I recently quit daily use.

most everyday I drink 2ltrs soda, a pot of coffee, and a couple Monsters. I do this all day. even if im drinking alcohol, i'll take breaks and load up on caffeine though not in the quantity I do when sober. at this point I do it just to feel normal, without, i feel lethargic, get headaches, all round not feeling well.

I currently use 2-2.4 grams of caffeine a day, down from 3.5 last year.
Tolerance develops just like any other drug, and with stupid dosages comes the withdrawal, which is rather well documented so I won't spell it out and waste people's time.
It may be legal, but it is addictive. I have taken advantage of the WD before; if I drop my dose to around 400mg a day I sleep anywhere up to 16 hours, so if I quit caffeine during opiate WD, I can still get 6 hours of sleep a night.