• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does smoking cannabis impair somebody's judgment (which is what alcohol does)?

Salutations Elven Warriorr,

...side effect that drinking some alcohol definitely has...

Well, there's been a time (before i was even born) when "Marihuana" allegedly turned boys into axe killers and girls into whores jumping through a window for lack of sexual satisfaction, whatever... Lucky me i wasn't around in those troubled times! Anyway, this episode of our history took place not long after the prohibition of alcohol ended, so maybe the sudden abundance of alcohol did indeed have some definite effects in empowered circles...

=D

Euh, no. Cannabis doesn't remotely compare to alcohol intoxication - but it sure comes handy as an excuse for wrong doing anyway.

8)

WITH NO TOLERANCE, yeah, it messes me up pretty badly. If I quit smoking for 3-4 months and smoke a fat bowl I'll forget what I'm doing mid action and get lost in crazy thoughts in my head.

Salutations,

If I quit smoking for 3-4 months and smoke a fat bowl I'll forget what I'm doing mid action and get lost in crazy thoughts in my head.

All right, so please stay home unless you're in control as there's a simple principle to follow in public space, especially the roads and sidewalks: most people where i live want these to be safe... I mean, at least i know i'm no good at skating so don't expect to see me wearing a full hockey suit with human flesh around, on the same ice as i: because i'd be anti-social if i allowed that to happen to begin with! Well, almost. See where it leads?...

7.gif

Craziness is no priority issue in our modern society anymore, in Canada there's been coo coo birds all over the place for decades (starting with parliament in Ottawa!)... In any instance if/when one gets too violent police usually shoots him down, euh... No chance i join that select pack, lucky me!

%)

^if you get that high, then don't drive. Regular smokers do not get that high, even infrequent smokers do not get that high that driving is impaired. The Canadian Senate did their own study on cannabis and driving and found that drivers who smoked cannabis had a bit of an issue not driving completely straight, but not in an unsafe manner. Other than that, they found no difference between a stoned driver and a regular driver.

Cannabis does not remove/lower your inhibitions; people who say it does are just looking for an excuse to do something they wouldn't normally do and then blame cannabis for it.

I imagine an alcoholic is less prone to the loss of inhibitions than someone with no tolerance. I'm benzo dependent and don't abuse benzos anymore, they do not impair my judgment at all, regardless of dose but without a tolerance, they certainly did as did alcohol when i used to drink, in a way that cannabis could never compare.

TL;DR: No.

Cannabis might make you quite confused but also a lot more hesitant to participate in whatever given action you are considering. Ethanol tends to make people confused, disorganized, and very disinhibited. So while cannabis might 'impair' your judgment in some way, it's not likely to lead to harmful behavioral consequences.

ebola

Salutations Ebola,

About loosing track in mid-action, i could claim i rarely ever been as distracted than between 2007 and 2011: when i was neither smoking or vaporizing... I couldn't get any "cleaner" than that so i guess Cannabis wasn't to blame, today i might even think of it as an enhancement!

5.gif

...while cannabis might 'impair' your judgment in some way, it's not likely to lead to harmful behavioral consequences.

LSD is the only other substance i can relate to and i don't see myself loosing my mind under its influence neither. Possibly, under torture it might be another story... Imagine a cat during feline "heat" season: on some nights the kitty would risk receiving one of my shoes indeed, though inadvertently! So i can continue to enjoy a calm evening again, etc.

=D

Last edited:
I find that the effects of booze and weed are not very similar. Both can "get you fucked up" in high enough doses, but I find that cannabis doesn't impact my decision making. Perhaps I may simply not do something because I was too high to function at full effectiveness but I have never felt that it lowered my inhibitions at all. If anything, weed makes me slightly more cautious about things I say and do. My rational faculties are pretty much the same on cannabis as sober, just perhaps slower with technical things like mathematics. Alcohol is a completely different animal though. It totally deserves its reputation for making people do foolish things.

There is a study on erowid I believe that shows pot + alcohol decreases accident rates than alcohol alone. The dopamine increases also decrease impulsive behavior in ADHD and hypomania. It also increases paranoid, cautious, and self consciius thoughts so unsafe sexual behavior is more unlikely.

There is a study on erowid I believe that shows pot + alcohol decreases accident rates than alcohol alone. The dopamine increases also decrease impulsive behavior in ADHD and hypomania. It also increases paranoid, cautious, and self consciius thoughts so unsafe sexual behavior is more unlikely.

The main concentration of Cannabinoid receptors are located in the limbic system. This actually stimulates the limbic system and causes your emotional behavior to become overactive which can be attributed to many of THC's desirable effects (such as increased sense of humor, hallucinations, etc...) however this actually has the opposite effect on behavior. This stimulation of the limbic system will actually increase hypomania symptoms as well as ADHD symptoms.

They impair your judgment in different ways. Generally alcohol makes you more confident and more willing to take risks, which can lead to bad decisions. Generally weed clouds your judgement by making you lazier, and if you haven't smoked in a while, probably a little paranoid. Laziness and/or a little paranoia contributes to less risky decision making, at least in my experiences. Smoking basically just makes simple things, such as eating or watching TV, more enjoyable for me. There's not much to worry about as long as you don't smoke all day every day and sit around doing nothing productive. I've been arrested after drinking, but never after smoking weed haha

Last edited:
When the person has no tolerance to cannabis or very little, yes it can impair somebodys judgement, however i have found from my experience in life anyone who has been in that situation seems to take more care than usual more care than when they are sober and inadvertently avoid danger/damage because of this.

yes, but in a different way.

alcohol reduces your inhibitions and fears, so you're more likely to do dangerous/risky things. but marijuana can reduce your motivation (and memory), which may make you more likely to miss important obligations. while the consequences of pot tend to be less severe, both substances can cause you to make stupid decisions that you wouldn't have made while sober.

The main concentration of Cannabinoid receptors are located in the limbic system. This actually stimulates the limbic system and causes your emotional behavior to become overactive which can be attributed to many of THC's desirable effects (such as increased sense of humor, hallucinations, etc...) however this actually has the opposite effect on behavior. This stimulation of the limbic system will actually increase hypomania symptoms as well as ADHD symptoms.

oh you fancy huh (drake)

..i don't understand :\:(<3%)

im·paired (m-pârd)
adj.
1. Diminished, damaged, or weakened: an impaired sense of smell.
2. Functioning poorly or incompetently: a driver so tired as to be impaired.
3. Having a physical or mental disability: an impaired child in need of special assistance.

Anything that changes your perception will cause a judgement based on those perceptions.. so marijuana will cause an altered judgment.. possibly a "diminished" judgment, or hell a lack of judgement=D.. so I guess yes.

yes pot will diminish your senses but not the same way liquor will. Alchohol removes your sense of right and wrong pot just slows you down and imo makes you more cautious.

Cannabis impairs my judgement if I am using it excessively. However, my judgement also becomes impaired if I do not smoke weed. I am just as much against not smoking weed as I am against smoking too much weed. In order to have the best judgement in life, I need a good bong rip of bomb nugs once every few hours. As you can see I am a demanding human being and my relationship with weed is unstable, fluctuating highly with dose and requiring highly regulated hits. When I use the word judgement here, I'm just talking about using my time wisely and making good choices. I always maintain basic hand-eye coordination no matter how many grams I bong through, but I can see how that might not always be true for less experienced tokers.

Alcohol is a completely different ball game. It's a nasty poison and good judgement tends to fly straight out the window. It is really best to avoid the horrible crap entirely, it wrecks the brain and liver. To answer your question, weed can make you lose your shit if you arn't careful with it and get too absorbed into it, but it is for the most part the drunkards who are running down innocent people in their vehicles, demeaning others, and starting bloody fights. I can control myself to drive when I am stoned, and I am actually a safer, slower, and better driver than I am when I am sober, but I can hardly vouch for everyone. Weed has a great mixture of effects.

I generally feel comfortable in the car when the driver is stoned, but I would never allow a drunk person to transport me anywhere.

Last edited:
in low doses / with tolerance cannabis actually increases my focus and awareness. there were times, when i vaped a little bit in the morning, made breakfast and then rode my bike to work through rush hour. every day. i also used to write stuff for school while being high to keep focus. unfortunately i cannot do this anymore due to psychological reasons...