• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc A warning to new Kratom users

Japookikratom

Greenlighter
I had no idea where to post this but I figured people need to know. I saw a thread on anither site discussing similar reports so i figured mine should be seen as well. I developed jaundice after using Kratom about 6 times. The first few times went great (dose 3-10g), I felt awesome and had no hangover, contrary to what erotic told me to expect. However, the fifth time using it (~10g), I felt like a train hit me the next day. Yellow piss (which I never have), headache, fever, RLS, extreme nausea that was lessened by laying down, couldn't eat, the works. Not making the connection, I took another 10g that night. I was hit with magnified symptoms the next day. Jaundice manifested the day after. I also developed pale stools
What is different about my case is that I was on Epistane, a designer steroid. This was my first time using this product. I had run two cycles of halodrol in the past. I had seen zero side effects up until I came down with the Kratom Sickness. Related, maybe. Worth noting.
The doctor Said I had elevated liver enzymes that of 6-8 times the normal levels. Currently running more blood tests. Stay safe.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing what happened to you! I hope you're better now.

OP...I'm glad you are ok....well or at least not any worse off than you are. I hope everything resolves without any complications.

Its good to bring it to the attention of others, but I also think that the other drugs played a big part in the liver damage or at least the combination of them with the kratom.

Maybe you should emphasize that you were on other drugs as well. I would hate for kratom to get a undeserved bad rep. Maybe next time post title something like "warning to users of kratom in combination with other drugs (or steroids or haldol etc).

I'm not belittling your bad experience by any means nor will I say kratom didn't play a part in it. I am just concerned that govt looking for any reason to criminalize a plant that has changed sooo many people's lives for the better.

Again, it is good to remember that no drug is completely safe, for anybody.

Hope you start feeling better!

Update: I've developed a light yellow around my eyes. Jaundice. I told my doc, he said my levels aren't anything that would be cause for permanent damage concern. My skin hasn't changed color yet. Still scary. Stay safe

i duno if it would be accurate to say that you had no side effects until kratom usage if you did not take a blood test until the kratom usage if you get my drift. i would assume your levels were already shit and the kratom merely pushed you over the top. oral steroids/pro-steroids have a real bad rep and have been known to do this to people. how long did you wait inbetween these 3 cycles? what were your blood tests like on your previous cycles?

yeah, kratom's serious shit. I laugh at KA and the like touting it as some benign miracle drug and vehemently lashing at those who claim otherwise. it's a fucking hardass opioid. it may not be as strong as some, but it's just as unforgiving.

What is kratom and does it help heroin w/d? I am new in here, tring to kick dope, subs didn't work. What about poppy seed tea? Is kratom legally accessible in US? Any input is appreciated.

Hey japookikratom, I just got my kratom today and put some down. Now I'm a first timer with this forum and kratom. I read little of your post. If it's any consolation I'm gonna post what my reaction is. Hopefully it's not what you describe. But.....everyones body chemistry has different reactions to dose, method of dose, and everything else prior to and after dose,etc.,etc. Not to mention what other extra curricular activities one partakes in. I can tell you at moment im a little warm and fuzzy, with slight itchiness like after doing a days worth of oxys. Have more focus on what my objective is. I've had a love affair with many stimulants except psychedelics. So I'm aware of the euphorias that come with them. I haven't had any luck with them in last 5 months so everything I get off this kratom is without help from additional sources. So I'm hoping that my kratom stint and effects will give someone a pure description without any interference.

yeah, kratom's serious shit. I laugh at KA and the like touting it as some benign miracle drug and vehemently lashing at those who claim otherwise. it's a fucking hardass opioid. it may not be as strong as some, but it's just as unforgiving.

well that's just your experience. my experience: kratom is one of the most benign drugs/plants i've ever taken. It certainly has no history of causing jaundice after a few doses. A shady study showed that some chronic users (indigenous to wherever kratom grows) had sunken in eyes and yellow skin but the study hasn't been replicated AFAIK and there are variables that weren't accounted for, so it's not conclusive by any means. Anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that kratom is relatively harmless to the body. It's not a hardass opioid either, it's a plant, with many alkaloids. Your argument would be stronger if you were comparing FST and other potent extracts or synthesized or isolated opioids from kratom.

Well, going on my own personal experience at moment. I received my first kratom experience as we speak. Now swim has had experience with opiates, cocaine, marijuana. Swim hasn't dabbled in the preceding in about 5 months, mainly to inaccessibility. So, I'll make it short and sweet with swim's experience. So swim will give effects without interference from other herbs and the like. Just pure kratom effects!!!! Swim received 10 grams Bali powdered leaf. First thing in morning on empty stomache. Took 2 1/2 heaping teaspoons somewhat mixed with cup of coffee. Bottoms up!!! Lol....now the crushed leaf powder didn't quite mix. More like sat on top. Anyway, 11:45am down the hatch. Approx. 15 min. later can feel slight effect. Pupils constricted. Its 80 degrees F. outside so start to get sweat on my brow which I have to keep wiping away. Now the feeling swim can relate it to is of alot of caffeine without the jittery effects from taking a lot of caffeine. A very sociable, chatty feeling. Sort of a friend that talks to much that you have to tell them to " shut the f*** up already" type of chatty...... Focus. Doing house chores are more enjoyable. Now it is approx. 3:15pm....so 3 1/2 hours later and swim is going strong off of the initial dosage. Swim can safely say that kratom didn't disappoint. After reading reviews from others, I haven't seen one without some sort of opiate attachment, etc. Which IMO doesn't give a clean reaction or effect that strictly can be related to only item of experimentation. So good or bad swim can say that kratom, up to this point, seems to only have positive effects that one looks for.

What is kratom and does it help heroin w/d? I am new in here, tring to kick dope, subs didn't work. What about poppy seed tea? Is kratom legally accessible in US? Any input is appreciated.

Yes, kratom is legal in u.s. I have tried for first time as we speak. I posted my personal feelings in this thread and what type herb I used. I did it clean. No choice of my own by the way. Lol!!! But strictly effects from kratom, and no influence from other drugs.

Yellow piss (which I never have), headache, fever, RLS, extreme nausea that was lessened by laying down, couldn't eat, the works.

These are symptoms of opioid withdrawal and not liver failure. The culprit here does sound like the steroid. The kratom might have been the "straw that broke the camel's back", adding an insult to your liver when it was already stressed.

Plus, Epitiostanol is well-known to be toxic to the liver. You experiencing minor opioid withdrawal must have brought about an uncomfortable bodily self-awareness, when you then realized the damage your designer steroid was doing to your body.

This is not the first report of kratom-related liver issues. See: here

Not saying it definitely causes liver damage, but for some people it might contribute. Glad I was able to get off it this past month!

japookikratom, I completely sympathise. The same exact thing happened to me after taking kratom a few times, along with many others. there seem to be a large number of people describing this exact condition with regards to kratom lately, not just on bluelight but on erowid, other forums and in recent published medical studies...

unfortunately there are people on this forum who are deeply entrenched in their ideas that it's a 'totally safe miracle herb' which is somehow protected from having any potentially toxic properties by the fact that it's perhaps been used in traditional preparations in bygone eras, and have gone to the extent of ignoring published toxicology studies along with the large number of anecdotal reports detailing identical symptoms despite their insistence on attacking the victims of kratom induced health issues (including myself) to maintain their convenient fantasy that it's completely harmless. All this of course while justifying their disgusting attitude by implying that any open discussion will instigate some invisible looming threat of prohibition, casting pre-emptive blame on the victims (despite the fact that governments are already well aware of kratom).

anyway, I posted a thread on this in advanced drug discsussion, sekio (moderator) understandably closed it now because it had become overrun by people with ideas that their precious kratom couldn't possibly be the cause of any health issues while refusing to read the studies/information posted in the thread before posting their misinformed diatribe. but still, there's a lot of useful links to studies, other user reports and productive discussion if you're interested: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/676106-Kratom-induced-liver-injury?highlight=kratom+liver

I also experienced hepatic toxicity after using kratom. After a week and a half stint with daily kratom use to halt withdrawals from a small hydrocodone physical dependence, I started vomiting and was very dizzy. Went to the ER, and my enzymes were severely elevated.

After a stay of a few days, I was released. Under doctor's orders, I restarted taking the hydrocodone. After a month, I was retested, and my enzyme levels were only a few points above normal levels. I ran out of my hydrocodone and stupidly used kratom again for about a week. I started having the same symptoms, so I abruptly stopped using. It has been two days with no kratom use, and I am starting to feel better.

I take Zoloft daily as well, so it is possible that kratom reacts badly with SSRI's. It is also possible that it was just a strange, idiosyncratic reaction. However, from my experience, I no longer see kratom as a harmless nutritional supplement. It can also be dangerous.

yeah, i dunno, kratom has its issues but i never found hepatic toxicity to be one of them... i (ab)used all kinds of kratom products fairly heavily on a daily basis for six months: regular bali and maeng da micronized leaf, enhanced bali, 15x extract, UEI, full-spectrum tincture, you name it... mostly to stave off dope WDs, get out of bed and be productive during the work day till i got home and could really party down, or when the dealer was running late, just to kind of manage a dope habit a little bit... or just as a potentiator and another item in my "stack" on weekends. i was consuming 10-20 grams of enhanced bali or equivalent plus maybe a gram of UEI a day and never experienced pain, jaundice, yellowing of the eyes, odd urine, anything that would indicate hepatoxicity. just another data point. everyone's body is different.

Last edited:
I find it odd that this seems to be an issue only affecting greenlighters...

You too? I watch quietly. While it is entirely possible it is kratom causing the liver problems, I know too many people that went from heavy drinking or heavy pill use to large amounts of kratom and watched their liver enzymes get better and better over time. So I have a different view of these posts.

I am a firm believer in 2013 a controlled study is almost impossible. I just got a letter in the mail that our drinking water has excess uranium. With all the meds out there these days as well as additives to food, drink and air, how can we pinpoint a cause unless it is glaringly obvious? And with those I know whose livers got better after cleaning up their life and switched from 100 pills a day to kratom, this liver connection to kratom is NOT obvious regardless of links posted. It may be like someone has stated, maybe there is a hereditary reason some people can not tolerate certain things. But it does not seem across the board.