• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DIY Saline Solution

The.Ghost

Bluelighter
Making your own saline, of any concentration, is very easy. Here I'll tell you how to make normal (i.e. isotonic, 0.9% NaCl) saline. Other strengths are straightforward to make.

What you'll need:

• Fine (small pore size) filter paper. I use 11 cm Whatman 50 paper, which is listed as having “fine crystalline” retention, the finest they make. (A coffee filter won't come close to cutting it, so forget about that.)
  • Something to hold the paper. A funnel is ideal, although a shot glass, clean prescription bottle, etc. will do just as well, depending on the size of your paper.
  • A container to hold the filtrate. It should be clear so you can verify that the filtrate is clear.
  • A clean bottle of known capacity for making / storing the saline.
  • A liquid measuring device. I use a syringe.
  • Distilled water. Go to your local supermarket.
  • Ordinary salt. Don't use the reduced / no-sodium stuff. It doesn't matter if it's iodized.

Okay, now to actual procedure. I apologize for the long-windedness; I wanted to include all the tips and tricks I've worked out.

Making Brine

Take a generous amount of salt and put it into a glass. Add some distilled water and swirl it around until the salt stops dissolving. Let the salt settle and pour off the milky solution. Repeat a few times to get most of the cloudy crap out. This will reduce filter clogging later on.

Add some more distilled water and swirl for a few minutes to get a saturated salt solution (brine).

Filtering

Fold your filter paper up and put it in your funnel / on the lip of your container of choice. There are two ways of folding it: the standard way and fluting. The standard way is to fold it in half twice and pull one layer out to get a cone. The easiest way of fluting is to fold the paper in half as many times as you can, alternating which direction you fold it in each time, then pulling it open to get a cone with ridges. (I recommend fluting, since it will cut down the filtering time.)

Carefully pour the brine into the paper, making sure not to overfill it. It should drip through at around a drop / 3 seconds with 11 cm paper. Add more brine to the filter as needed. Filter in small batches and make sure each one is perfectly clear by shining a light through it. If it's not, you'll have to clean out your funnel / whatever with distilled water and re-filter the brine with a new paper.

Making Saline

Now, for the magic formula. For isotonic (0.9%) saline, you'll need 28.4 mL of brine per liter of saline, the rest being distilled water. Measure out the brine into your saline bottle, fill 'er up the rest of the way with distilled water, and shake.

That's it. Now enjoy your pure, additive-free saline. Shoot some up your nose and enjoy the smooth lack of burning that the overpriced drug store crap always causes.

For other concentrations, adjust the amount of brine accordingly. For example, for 0.45% saline, use 14.2 mL of brine / liter of saline.

Side-note: the ratio of brine to water is almost totally independent of temperature since NaCl has an essentially flat solubility curve in water over anything that can be called room temperature.

Great post! I was wondering how long, if in a sealed container, this solution would last? I'm assuming it wouldn't expire ever, what do you think?

Looks like I forgot about this thread...

I don't know really know how long the shelf life of pure, non-sterile saline is. From my experience, it should be suitable for nasal irrigation for at least 2 weeks. That's the longest it's taken me to go through a batch, and not one has ever gone bad in any way. That's after ~3 years of using this method.

A few notes I should add:

• The filter paper I've been using all along is rated for 2.7 uM retention.
  • I'd recommend making a large “master” batch of brine in one run and using it as needed. Being so hypertonic, I very much doubt anything will ever grow in it. It's shelf life should be infinite. I've been using my current batch of brine for ~8 months without problem.
  • When the time comes to mix the brine and water: add the brine to the bottle and cap it, shake until the inside of the bottle is covered in brine, then uncap and add the water & mix. The brine should kill any bacteria in the bottle on contact.

I have recently learned of a commonly available salt that is pure NaCl, making the filtration step completely unnecessary. It is called canning / pickling salt and is available at most supermarkets. When it dissolves, you get a crystal-clear solution.