How About Some Folk?

Contained

Bluelighter
I searched through about the first 10 pages looking for a folk music thread, but to no avail. If you're into the genre, and have not yet heard him, definitely check out Tallest Man on Earth. His newest album is my least favorite of his (though it's still very good), but every song off of his earlier two albums and s/t ep continue to amaze me every time I listen to them. The lyrics are all so immersive and beautiful. Besides that, been listening to a lot of Mumford and Sons, Avett Brothers, Elliott Brood, and more. My favorite genre's change constantly, but I never find myself tired of this genre.

So what have you been listening to?

Folk music is one of those things that'll never go away. There are so many good folk bands coming out of the woodwork these days its almost impossible to keep track. As for the bands you've listed:

- Tallest Man on Earth is pretty boss. I agree about his new album not being up to par with his previous efforts, but its still pretty awesome.

- I hope Mumford and Sons didn't get too popular too quickly - I really enjoyed their first album, but it seems like it would be really easy for them to just phone-in the next one.

- I'm going to see the Avett Brothers in September and I am super stoked about it. :)

- I've only heard two Elliot Brood albums: Tin Type and Ambassador, and only Tin Type really stood out to me (and it REALLY stood out to me - love that album) but Ambassador felt relatively lazy by comparison. I guess I should check out their other two albums sometime, because up until I just now wikipedia'd them I had no idea they had any other albums.

This is a thread I can get behind
And as usual I'm agreeing with SirGrunge because just like he said it is almost impossible to keep up with all the good new folk music coming out

Mr, you're gonna dig the Avett brothers, I've seen them twice and both times were srsly awesome shows.

OP, check out Chad Vangaalen

I can't wait for the new Avett Brothers album.

And Chad Vangaalen is the awesome. He has a weird and perfect way of blending folk and electronic.

Avett Brothers are amazing live, you're in for a hell of a show. they played a big music festival here early last month. MrGrunge, you should really give "Mountain Meadows" by Elliott Brood a listen, I liked it just as much as Tin Type. Thank's Bill for recommending Chad Vangaalen, I just downloaded a few of his albums after listening to your link and a few other songs of his.

Best Vangaalen albums to start with would be Soft Airplane & Diaper Island.

^Thanks Laika, I appreciate the recommendations. (Also, off topic, is your name referring to the russian space dog?)

^ That's what I've always assumed. The dog was a female though and I think our Laika is a guy, which is something that has confused me for awhile.

Anyway, I've recently been listening to this guy John Fullbright. He just released his debut album, which isn't that great as a whole, but it does have some really awesome gems like the one I posted.

Also, if you guys/ gals like chick singer folk bands, check out Eilen Jewell (Best songs IMO are High Shelf Booze and Dusty Boxcar Wall)

Also, can't believe I didn't post this before, The Builders and the Butchers are awesome. Salvation is a Deep Dark Well is the only album by them I've listened through fully, but It's killer. The singer reminds me of a folk Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedy's in some songs

If you like the Avett Brothers, check out Langhorne Slim. He's a friend of the Avett Brothers and tours with them occasionally.

And if you haven't already heard Nick Drake, definitely listen to him. It's pretty dark for folk music, but the lyrics and fingerpicking are amazing.

I love Langhorne Slim, got to see him live at a small club in Colorado and talked with him a bit after the show. He's a really cool guy.

I started browsing my music library looking for bands to recommend, but then I basically ended up going through the whole thing and getting a bit carried away. So, for anyone looking for Folk/Folk-Influenced bands, here's a big ass list:

AA Bondy - "When The Devil's Loose"

Baptist Generals - "2/3 Jim's Head"

The Beta Band - "Dog's Got a Bone"

The Cave Singers - "Fall"

Chris Bathgate - "The Last Parade on Ann St."

Cotton Jones - "Gone the Bells"

CSN - "Marrakech Express"

Daniel Johnston - "True Love Will Find You in the End

David Lowery - "Raise 'em up on Honey"

David Wax Museum - "Born with a Broken Heart"

The Decemberists - "Leslie Ann Levine"

The Deep Dark Woods - "All the Money I had is Gone"

Deer Tick - "Easy"

Delta Spirit - "Strange Vine"

The Denver Gentlemen - "Blue Parrot"

The Devil Makes Three - "Old Number 7"

Devendra Banhart - "Long Haired Child"

Elliott Brood - "Oh, Alberta"

The Felice Brothers - "Penn Station"

Fleet Foxes - "Your Protector"

The Futurebirds - "Johnny Utah"

Ha Ha Tonka - "St. Nick on the Fourth in a Fervor"

Iron and Wine - "Naked as we Came"

Isbells - "As Long as it Takes"

J. Roddy Walston & The Business - "Pigs and Pearls"

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - "Codeine"

The Jayhawks - "Waiting For The Sun"

Jeff Mangum - "Little Birds"

John Vanderslice - "Amitriptyline"

Josh Ritter - "Change of Time"

Junip - "In Every Direction"

The Kropotkins - "Truckstop Girls"

Lia Ices - "Daphne"

Little Hurricane - "Give 'Em Hell"

The Low Anthem - "Boeing 737"

M. Ward - "Chinese Translation"

Man Man - "10lb Mustache"

The Folksmen - "Blood on the Coal"

Moondoggies - "Empress of the North"

Noah and the Whale - "Two Atoms in a Molecule"

O'Death - "Down to Rest"

Okkervil River - "For Real"

Old Crow Medicine Show - "Wagon Wheel"

Other Lives - "For 12"

Paleo - "World' Smallest Violin"

Pepper Rabbit - "Older Brother"

Rev. Gary Davis - "Death Don't Have No Mercy"

Roadside Graves - "Ruby"

Roky Erickson - "Goodbye Sweet Dreams"

Romany Rye - "Untitled (Love Song)"

The Snake the Cross the Crown - "Behold the River"

Southeast Engine - "The Things I Want are Things I Need"

The Steeldrivers - "Blue Side of the Mountain"

Strand of Oaks - "End in Flames"

Tarantella - "Esqueletos"

Trampled by Turtles - "Where is my Mind? (Pixies cover)"

Typhoon - "The Honest Truth"

Van Morrison - "And it Stoned Me"

The War on Drugs - "Arms Like Boulders"

We Are Country Mice - "Ballad of John"

Ok...I'm done now.

Last edited:
^ I smoked pot with Connor Oberst one time. His uncle lives near a friend of mine and would buy drugs off of him from time to time. One day (about five years ago, I think) I went over to my friend's house to get stoned and play Xbox and there was Connor and his uncle sitting on the couch playing Halo. I didn't recognize him and my friend never said anything about dealing to his uncle, so I just assumed he was some random dude. They weren't there for long - we smoked a couple bowls and played a couple games of Halo and then they left. It wasn't until after they left that my buddy told me who he was.

He's a pretty cool guy, but he fucking sucks at Halo, lol.

Last edited:
^ Wow that is pretty cool, Conor is a brilliant dude but being five years ago I prolly wouldn't have known who he was either
I think I only just discovered Bright Eyes in 07 or so