• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Kratom Addiction/ Need Help After Withdrawals Are Over

pnm,

I really, really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my, and everyone else's comments. It has helped me a lot, and I'm glad to know I have your support and also that you're going through something very similar to me.

With that being said, I unfortunately also have to say that today has probably been the worst day so far. Again, it's the depression and anxiety that have been unbearable. I also just realized that it is only the 6th day since I have significantly reduced my daily doses (probably by too much). This is both comforting and worrying for me. It worries me because, well fuck, it’s only day 6. It feels like it has been forever, and I was hoping that the symptoms would be lessening. On the other hand, the majority of kratom withdrawal stories I’ve read have said that days 7-14 can actually be the worst. This makes sense to me because it's been almost a week since I dropped from using 10-20g (of powder) a day down to 4g, and am now at 3g. I think I might hover around this level for a while because I think I have a few days of shit coming up. Hopefully by mid-end of this week I'll be feeling okay again and ready to decrease my dosage.

Good luck pnm, slayer, beatit and andy with your tapering/kicking (and anyone else too) and I'll be checking back here frequently! By the way, if anyone has found out some strategies for dealing with the withdrawal please share. I've found valerian root and camomile help for sleeping, and exercise (lifting weights for me) makes me feel better for a few hours afterwards.

The good news is that if today is the worst day so far, it is likely to be the worst day of all, meaning it will continue to get better. I think you're right on with staying at that dose until it evens out a bit. Have you tried splitting it into 2 doses. Like instead of 3 grams a day, 4g/day in 2 doses of 2, then taper from there. I ask b/c the effects of kratom are short lived.

Anyway, I did what you did with the pods, during my taper on one of my drops I totally overdid it, but it got better after a few days, and looking back I am glad I did that. It seemed to make the rest of the steadier taper easier, and then jumping to no pods and kratom for staving symptoms was not as bad as I though it would be. The thing to remember, as hard as it is sometimes, that this shitty feeling is TEMPORARY. It will get better, little by little. You are fighting the good fight, and you are worth it.

Try this, take a sheet of paper and write on it in huge letters something like this, "You are a wonderful person. You are doing something extraordinary. You are worth it. Keep calm, keep going, keep fighting." Place it somewhere you will see it often.

The fact that you are working out is effing HUGE. Part of kratom WD and opiate WD is the fatigue oddly mixed with anxiety and depression. Weghtlifting is great for reducing that anxiety, lifting good energy, helping you sleep, and getting your brain to squirt out some more endorphins, which it got used to doing less of while you were using the kratom more heavily.

I'm going to join a gym, but for now, when I get squirmy anxiety feeling welling up, I just drop and do as many push ups as I can. When it comes back, I do it again. I'm going to add cardio soon, and I think you might be at the point that this would be a good idea too. Weights are great, but for anxiety and sleeping better, adding 15-20 minutes of cardio to that workout will help tons. Also, you should be eating healthy, taking vitamins, magnesium and potassium esp, or get the potassium from a a banana or three a day. You should be masturbating or having sex at every opportunity too to help with the brain making more of its own good stuff again.

Behavioral things help too. Do something creative. Anything. Write a poem, even a lousy one. Who the fuck cares if it's good or not. You will have created something. No one ever needs to read it. Go outside, take pictures of nature or whatever interests you, esp if you have a decent camera. Watch something that makes you laugh. I used to think Jackass was retarded but I watched #2 and laughed, and it helped. When in the worst funk, forcing yourself to do some housework is great. Do a load of laundry, clean your kitchen, if you can keep going and clean it all, or break it up over days. A clean living space helps engender a clean mental space.

Major props to you on continuing your path to freedom. I'm with you all the way.

Peace, love, and applause,
pnm

Beat It?!?! Where'd you go man? You OK? Damn greenlighter status. I'd PM you if I could. I hope you're well, but if you're doing shitty, don't be ashamed to come in here and tell us about it. We're here for you.

Yeah I know. I just took a "vacation" to quit. i.e. going to Maine and using like a teaspoon after ten o'clock at night. At one point my addiction was close two hundred dollars a WEEK (damn tincture) but recently it has been easier, cuz honestly I've weaned off over the last six months. Was still using daily, just a lot less maybe a half ounce - to an ounce throughout the day. Maine was to kick it totally.
I can honestly say that after having decreased my dosage it was easier. I'd gone without during the two hundred dollar a week phase, and it was AWFUL. Shit's serious...
I'll tell you the big problem for me i can see is that i'm a lot more anti-social without it throughout the day (i'm still taking a tiny amount at night, cuz for me it's hardest then, but hope to get off that too). I don't want to talk to girls, go out; i just want to watch tv and rest. The physical w/d's are gone, it's all mental now -and, yeah, i miss my old motivation. I just wish I'd never started the shit bc all you think is "Gee, maybe K was good for me. Maybe I sort of needed it medicinally..." But I know that can't be true. I'd get so weird on it sometimes, sensitive, and objectively I can see it was ruining my life (i'd been taking it for six years). So it has to go....Hope you're doing better. I can't tell when you posted cuz the dates seem screwy.

Thanks. I already knew that. It's just that I don't post unless I feel I have something worthwhile to say, which just isn't as often as I'd like.

Yeah I know. I just took a "vacation" to quit. i.e. going to Maine and using like a teaspoon after ten o'clock at night. At one point my addiction was close two hundred dollars a WEEK (damn tincture) but recently it has been easier, cuz honestly I've weaned off over the last six months. Was still using daily, just a lot less maybe a half ounce - to an ounce throughout the day. Maine was to kick it totally.
I can honestly say that after having decreased my dosage it was easier. I'd gone without during the two hundred dollar a week phase, and it was AWFUL. Shit's serious...
I'll tell you the big problem for me i can see is that i'm a lot more anti-social without it throughout the day (i'm still taking a tiny amount at night, cuz for me it's hardest then, but hope to get off that too). I don't want to talk to girls, go out; i just want to watch tv and rest. The physical w/d's are gone, it's all mental now -and, yeah, i miss my old motivation. I just wish I'd never started the shit bc all you think is "Gee, maybe K was good for me. Maybe I sort of needed it medicinally..." But I know that can't be true. I'd get so weird on it sometimes, sensitive, and objectively I can see it was ruining my life (i'd been taking it for six years). So it has to go....Hope you're doing better. I can't tell when you posted cuz the dates seem screwy.

Hi Repin and welcome! You're newer than me! It sucks that you're having to deal with what you're dealing with. For all the doubters out there who think kratom is no big deal... here's another one. Glad to have you here though.

Are you doing the kinds of things that opiate withdrawers do? Loperamide for the shits is a must, unless those are gone now. Sounds like you might be in the psychological phase, which people call PAWS, but I think it's better to just call it the psychological phase. Having a name and thus a colllection of symptoms with it makes it seem harder to get through. If you read to much about PAWS, IME, you get more of the symptoms.

So, are you doing things like taking dietary supplements, magnesium and potassium esp? You can get the potassium from a couple bananas a day. Exercising? That's a must for energy and getting your brain to start to return to normal. Hobby? Just do SOMEthing.

The bad news is that this phase can last up to six months. The good news is that each passing day is better than the day before, on average, and each passing week will be noticeably better until one day you're all good. Poof. I hope this isn't discouraging. You for sure got it right about needing to quit. Just remember each day will get better, and you can speed that up by doing some of those things, and other stuff too. And then one day you'll realize you're feeling better, sleeping well, good energy, enjoying life, and all without a substance clinging to you. That day WILL come. This shit is temporary.

I'm probably going to need someone to tell me that same stuff and more soon. I got onto to kratom after tapering and kicking a big pod habit. Now I'm tapering the kratom. I'm down to 3-4 grams twice a day. It's progress. 4 grams of kratom wouldn't have even been noticeable a couple months ago. Now it keeps me ok and gives some pep. But I don't wanna be on it long. Esp not 6 years. JeebusChreebus! How'd you do that repin? 200 bucks a week on kratom is more than I've heard of. Mad props for getting down to the dose you're on now. It'll get better. It will.

Oh, and they use the European date system, so, DD/MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY like in the states.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Peace and kindness,
pnm

Mad props for the taper! Can you give me some tips? im trying to taper my habit to cost me less, i dont plan on stopping but some days i just feel like gettin buzzed and it throws that day out the window. any tips for tapering would be appreciated

Hey guys, sorry about disappearing for a few days. I've kinda been veg'd out smoking da ganj. -_- Totally immersed in it. Haha I know it's probably not the most productive thing to do but, the good news is, I haven't taken any more Kratom. (day 19) Update on my medication treatment, I've got off of my loperamide doses (feel fine, maybe just went through a day of some unpleasant side effects of not taking any) and last night was my first night without any ambien for sleep. I'm a little worried about coming off of Ambien after about 3 months of using it every night but it's been more than 24 hours and I feel better than when I was on the stuff. It hasn't been too bad for the last week either. I think the secondary psychological phase was what was really getting to me.

I think the most critical part of getting back to normal after I got through the physical withdrawals has been running/exercise, eating, COFFEE and just staying busy. When I run, I run constantly for around 45 mins and really get my endorphins going. With eating, you can go the healthy route if you want, probably helps, but I just think it helps to really eat ANYTHING. A lot of my withdrawal symptoms worsened the longer I didn't eat. Coffee/Cigs just to wake you up and boost your energy. Lastly, staying busy has been really important after I got past the first couple of weeks of wanting to do absolutely nothing. Your gonna feel shitty where ever you go, doesn't mean you can't get outside and get some sun/ go to school and meet people. You'll feel better after doing stuff anyways. Also, give yourself a break on the weekends, drink some beers, go see some live music, do something you remember enjoying when you were sober. Just remember the shitty feelings you have aren't rational, their the result of taking a drug.

I applaud all of you who are trying to taper and get sober. I know Kratom is glorified as being the cure all for addictions but out of all the drugs I've tried, Kratom has been the hardest to quit. Probably because I've glorified it, and rationalized to myself, "oh well it's not as bad as alcohol, or I know I'm spending 80 bucks a week but at least it's not as expensive as coke, or at least it's not as addictive as heroin." All bullshit. I'm sure most of you know the routine. If I recognized it as a drug just like all the other's I would have never got addicted to it. Plus the short-term effects are great but the long term effects to Kratom can be brutal just like all drugs. (Hallucinations, physical dependence, mental dependence, plus there's not any study on how it effects the liver that I know of) My point isn't to bash on Kratom because I know if I used it responsibly and not regularly I would have been fine like most people. It was just the addict in me taking disguise and posing as something harmless. I think Kratom is great for quitting other substances but it has to be used responsibly. (Couple days a week, not everyday)

Yup that's a true story, when I stopped drinking I starting taking Kratom regularly and told everyone/ including myself, I was sober for some 40 days. I mean, it's really not like getting fucked up, pissing yourself, having sex with someone you just met or the other countless stupid shit you do when your really messed up but lets see. It's a lot easier to get addicted to something you see as harmless, it is a expensive habit, and you look like a total weirdo consuming some mysterious leaf in a bag. Funny fact, my life really was getting better when I started using Kratom, until I got to about steps 3 and 4. Then the high level of motivation started to disappear and the "just get fucked up" part starting to set in... sigh.

Really want to start going to NA or something like that, because even this site has been helpful. Hearing other people's story and hearing about people getting better is really motivational.

Kratom sucks. If you have never touched it, don't ever do it. It's every bit as addictive as any other opiate based pain medication. Sure the WD may not be as dramatic as opiates, but WD symptoms are definitely not to be taken lightly and they are sever enough to make you want to drain your bank account. It took 2 years for me to quit. It's been 5 days now, after going cold turkey. I am tempted to go get some now, but I don't dare reignite the addiction. All I have to say, is good luck to anyone who is struggling with this seemingly innocent but totally evil and addictive crap! They should call it Crapom. Because that's what it is pure crap. It has no redeeming qualities. It's sold as a legal high. It's a designer drug, and it's illegal in Thailand for good reason. Just don't ever do it. Not even once. You might wake up 2 years later, broke without enough money to eat or buy gas to get to work.

Kratom sucks. If you have never touched it, don't ever do it. It's every bit as addictive as any other opiate based pain medication. Sure the WD may not be as dramatic as opiates, but WD symptoms are definitely not to be taken lightly and they are sever enough to make you want to drain your bank account. It took 2 years for me to quit. It's been 5 days now, after going cold turkey. I am tempted to go get some now, but I don't dare reignite the addiction. All I have to say, is good luck to anyone who is struggling with this seemingly innocent but totally evil and addictive crap! They should call it Crapom. Because that's what it is pure crap. It has no redeeming qualities. It's sold as a legal high. It's a designer drug, and it's illegal in Thailand for good reason. Just don't ever do it. Not even once. You might wake up 2 years later, broke without enough money to eat or buy gas to get to work.

Just because its fucked up your life doesnt mean its total garbage. people die and ruin their lives with alcohol and cigarettes(a "legal high"), doctor prescribed meds like SSRI's have much longer W/D and i found the WD from paxil atleast twice as hard as a taper and detox off of OC. Benzos are more addictive and has a chance of killing you if you drop too quickly. Idc what you say about kratom, it saved my life from an oxy addiction <removed abusive comment - Vaya> i know its got down sides, which everything does. Idk what your deal is but id rather be depe ndent on kratom then any other substance (besides MJ). Your very uneducated about the plant. its not a designer drug, the powder is make from the actual leaves, and the reason its illegal in thailand is because it was effecting the opium trade. do your homework.
Ive been taking it for 2 years and im at ~15g a day, im trying to taper down to save money, i realize how i am psychologically and physically dependent on it, but to compared to almost every other drug - its the least of the evils. kratom does not give me mood swings like opiates do, I can make a bag last for a long time if i have too, its forgiving in this way. <Content removed - Please refrain from discussing dosing methods and positive effects of drugs in this forum - it tends to make the drug-taking more appealing, especially for those seeking total abstinence - Vaya> I can get by with probably 6-8g a day and feel fine. Keep in mind, ive been doing this daily (at a lower dose in the beginning) for 2 years, and ofcourse my tolerance and intake has increased, and im tapering. sorry for the long post but this plant means a lot to me, just like MJ means a lot to other people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you don't take kratom every day you can still get slight w/ds from it after awhile, took about 4 weeks of me using it every 3 days to get some slightly annoying w/ds that last around 5 days. Nothing serious though but still annoying.
And how are you guys spending $80+ a week on kratom? You must be using extracts, when I was using it on a daily basis it never cost me more then $40 a month even when I was using a little less then half a pound of it per month once I had built a good tolerance up to it. I never used extracts except for free samples I got due to the insane price compared to the ground up leaf, they seem like a huge ripoff pricewise.

Hey guys, sorry about disappearing for a few days. I've kinda been veg'd out smoking da ganj. -_- Totally immersed in it. Haha I know it's probably not the most productive thing to do but, the good news is, I haven't taken any more Kratom. (day 19) Update on my medication treatment, I've got off of my loperamide doses (feel fine, maybe just went through a day of some unpleasant side effects of not taking any) and last night was my first night without any ambien for sleep. I'm a little worried about coming off of Ambien after about 3 months of using it every night but it's been more than 24 hours and I feel better than when I was on the stuff. It hasn't been too bad for the last week either. I think the secondary psychological phase was what was really getting to me.

I think the most critical part of getting back to normal after I got through the physical withdrawals has been running/exercise, eating, COFFEE and just staying busy. When I run, I run constantly for around 45 mins and really get my endorphins going. With eating, you can go the healthy route if you want, probably helps, but I just think it helps to really eat ANYTHING. A lot of my withdrawal symptoms worsened the longer I didn't eat. Coffee/Cigs just to wake you up and boost your energy. Lastly, staying busy has been really important after I got past the first couple of weeks of wanting to do absolutely nothing. Your gonna feel shitty where ever you go, doesn't mean you can't get outside and get some sun/ go to school and meet people. You'll feel better after doing stuff anyways. Also, give yourself a break on the weekends, drink some beers, go see some live music, do something you remember enjoying when you were sober. Just remember the shitty feelings you have aren't rational, their the result of taking a drug.

I applaud all of you who are trying to taper and get sober. I know Kratom is glorified as being the cure all for addictions but out of all the drugs I've tried, Kratom has been the hardest to quit. Probably because I've glorified it, and rationalized to myself, "oh well it's not as bad as alcohol, or I know I'm spending 80 bucks a week but at least it's not as expensive as coke, or at least it's not as addictive as heroin." All bullshit. I'm sure most of you know the routine. If I recognized it as a drug just like all the other's I would have never got addicted to it. Plus the short-term effects are great but the long term effects to Kratom can be brutal just like all drugs. (Hallucinations, physical dependence, mental dependence, plus there's not any study on how it effects the liver that I know of) My point isn't to bash on Kratom because I know if I used it responsibly and not regularly I would have been fine like most people. It was just the addict in me taking disguise and posing as something harmless. I think Kratom is great for quitting other substances but it has to be used responsibly. (Couple days a week, not everyday)

SO glad to hear back from you and to hear that you're doing much better man. You sound great and your advice about the taper-helpers is spot-on. If I were healthy enough to run for 45 minute straight I would. For anybody else, like me, just whatever exercise you can do is great. Just try to get to that edge where you're pushing yourself, but not so heard you throw-up or whatever. Thanks for coming back BeatIt! Looks like you're gonna beat it after all. Lookin back on those tough times up til now (I know it's not perfect yet), but it feels worth it, doesn't it.

Keep on,
pnm

Even if you don't take kratom every day you can still get slight w/ds from it after awhile, took about 4 weeks of me using it every 3 days to get some slightly annoying w/ds that last around 5 days. Nothing serious though but still annoying.
And how are you guys spending $80+ a week on kratom? You must be using extracts, when I was using it on a daily basis it never cost me more then $40 a month even when I was using a little less then half a pound of it per month once I had built a good tolerance up to it. I never used extracts except for free samples I got due to the insane price compared to the ground up leaf, they seem like a huge ripoff pricewise.

I agree completely about the ripoff of extracts. But for some it seems the powder quits working, and as tolerance builds faster in some people, and some people come to it with a higher tolerance for drugs in general, extracts become needed for some to keep their buzzes where they want them... Just IMO.

You're in a bad spot with this right now CT, and I can see how you're bitter about it. I was and am bitter about substances that fucked up my life, but Kratom has helped some who use it responsibly to get off of more harmful substances, and some are able to enjoy here and there no problem. Just like some people can drink beer, no problem, while people like me cannot, because I'm alcoholic, and 1 drink makes me crave 20 more...not like normal people.

As for silent cowboy's insensitive and mean response to you. Don't listen to him. I'm about to tell him what's up.

Originally Posted by Cold Turkey

Just because its fucked up your life doesnt mean its total garbage. people die and ruin their lives with alcohol and cigarettes(a "legal high"), doctor prescribed meds like SSRI's have much longer W/D and i found the WD from paxil atleast twice as hard as a taper and detox off of OC. Benzos are more addictive and has a chance of killing you if you drop too quickly. Idc what you say about kratom, it saved my life from an oxy addiction <removed abusive comment - Vaya> . i know its got down sides, which everything does. Idk what your deal is but id rather be dependent on kratom then any other substance (besides MJ). Your very uneducated about the plant. its not a designer drug, the powder is make from the actual leaves, and the reason its illegal in thailand is because it was effecting the opium trade. do your homework.
Ive been taking it for 2 years and im at ~15g a day, im trying to taper down to save money, i realize how i am psychologically and physically dependent on it, but to compared to almost every other drug - its the least of the evils. kratom does not give me mood swings like opiates do, I can make a bag last for a long time if i have too, its forgiving in this way. <Content removed - Please refrain from discussing dosing methods and positive effects of drugs in this forum - it tends to make the drug-taking more appealing, especially for those seeking total abstinence - Vaya> I can get by with probably 6-8g a day and feel fine. Keep in mind, ive been doing this daily (at a lower dose in the beginning) for 2 years, and ofcourse my tolerance and intake has increased, and im tapering. sorry for the long post but this plant means a lot to me, just like MJ means a lot to other people.

Silent cowboy, why are you being an ass? That was his first post here. He's obviously in a tough spot. Do you really expect him to "do his homework" and know what the more experienced people here know. Just because you've been around a while and know more than someone else does and disagree with them does not give you the right to talk down to them, call them shitty names, and insult them.

Did you start your addiction at the age of three dude? 'cause that's right about the emotional maturity you're displaying in this thread.

GOOD, so kratom saved your life from an oxy habit. I'm glad it did, but does that mean CT needs to "screw off".

Whoever CT is, he/she comes in here and in response to their first post you treat them like total shit. You should be ashamed of yourself and you owe them an apology. I'll be checking the rules on here, and if I can find a reason to flag your asinine post to the mods I'll do just that. Unless of course, you proffer that apology you owe CT. Fucking pronto.

So yeah, it's cool that this plant means a lot to you, but don't be beatin' up on somebody who's prolly just ranting cause they're pissed that the kratom fucked up their life. You don't know what you're words could have done to CT. Maybe he doesn't give shit, and he shouldn't. But you mighta made him feel like shit. And on his FIRST post. Do YOUR homework, and stop treating people like an ass in this thread or I'll be all over you.

Peace, for goodness sake, peace,
pnm

Last edited by a moderator:
I know my attitude wasnt right, and i am sorry. I was offended by his post but should have taken into consideration it was his first.
Sorry CT for the shitty reply, im not like that normally, and neither are most people here on bluelight

Last edited:
Thanks man. I hope Cold Turkey reads this.

On another note: I just reached 50 posts, but I still have a tiny message box and can't PM people.

I know my attitude wasnt right, and i am sorry. I was offended by his post but should have taken into consideration it was his first.
Sorry CT for the shitty reply, im not like that normally, and neither are most people here on bluelight

I think it might take overnight, Im pretty sure mine did

Just read that in the "about my account" section, but thanks for the info anyway. I'm still figuring all this out. I like it here. The people are cool, including you man. I read some of your other posts, and you're right, that post wasn't like you. And I forgot it was you who PMed me some help. Thanks again for that. I'd PM you back about something right now, but until this switches me to bluelighter, I'll have to wait another 180 minutes, at which point I hope to be snoozing.

peacefulness,
pnm