• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana tea?

serb_one

Greenlighter
I'm just curious, can you make a marijuana tea or drink that doesnt waste any more weed as edibles?
I know bud is fat-soluable so can some sort of cannabudder milkshake or something be made?

A good way to make cannabis tea is to boil your bud in any nut milk (almond milk, walnut milk...) The THC will bond to the fats found in the milk.

Also it tastes real good.

I'm just curious, can you make a marijuana tea or drink that doesnt waste any more weed as edibles?
I know bud is fat-soluable so can some sort of cannabudder milkshake or something be made?

I've never done this but it is technically possible, but what do you mean by waste?

If you have enough, use coconut oil to fry it if you're not into the whole boil it forever thing and don't have the equipment to bake anything.

A friend of mine in college did this and sort of made a chai latte of herb and said how it works but you get very stoned. You must do what Crepsirezzell posted and boil the herb in either dairy milk or the other types of milk he/she wrote about.

I'm not sure MJ is the best plant to make tea out of, since you need to use a fat source which will make your tea feel textured nothing like a tea, really. Opium poppy seeds/pods and Kratom are better to use for teas, since their alkaloids are water-soluble, not fat-soluble.

MJ is best ingested through extracting it in to hash oil, then ingesting that hash oil in a vehicle with as little bulk as possible as to not bind to the cannabinoids, so all the good stuff can be absorbed by the intenstines, not bind to the brownie. Chocolate is ideal, imo, hence the popularity of Hubby's Hash Oil chocolate bars. They are consistently potent and very easily titrated. Mmmm :D

Basically, solvent extraction of cannabinoids is more reliable and more efficient than fat-source decarboxylation.

I know it sounds gross, but a few months ago I put about a gram of weed and a couple packets of butter into a coffee filter and ran it through a coffee maker several times for about 20 minutes. It totally worked. I felt the onset, peak and duration were shorter than edible cannabis, and the peak was more intense and mindfucking.

Reason: I was staying at a hotel and had more weed than I could smoke before getting on a plane back home.

Butter tea sounds so gross, but it makes a lot of sense that it hit you much faster, almost like "parachuting" or drinking a CWE of a cannabis edible. There's no food source for your stomach and intestines to break down to slowly release the cannabutter and the cannabinoids it contains.

I find Hubby's Hash Oil chocolate bars to be really good in this regard, as you only have to eat a square, which is about 1x1" of chocolate, to get pleasantly high, and the low ratio of bulky non-cannabinoids (chocolate, some fat sources) to the higher amounts of hash oil in the chocolate bar make it almost as fast as tea, I would imagine.

Brownies and cookies are so inefficient, they take a long time to digest, bind to a portion of the cannabinoids (wasting them), and are not healthy in the long run if you eat edibles a couple times a day. I don't want to eat a giant chocolate brownie every time I want to get high, I like to eat but I don't like my cannabinoids "cut" with fillers. ;)

In India they make Bhang- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhang

Basically it's weed ground up very fine with ghee, milk and spices, then formed into little balls or made into drinks.

Apparently in Kashmir they do it like this-
In Pakistan-administered Kashmir, a common preparation for bhang consists of first boiling the leaves and flowers of the female cannabis plant for a short time. Once the plant matter has become soft, it is mixed with khas khas or white opium poppy seed. The two ingredients are pulverized with a mortar and pestle for 30-60 minutes (adding a few drops of water now and again to keep the paste moist). The paste is then mixed with water by hand and the mixture is poured through a straining cloth to remove all excess plant matter. The remaining green water is known locally as "bhang" and consumed as is. The usage of oil-rich seeds allows THC, the fat-soluble psychoactive chemical from the cannabis, to be extracted into the poppy oil so that potency can be retained in a water-based mixture.

Where the oil from poppy seeds steeps the THC.

I've made weed milk and weed hot chocolate by decarboxylating weed and just boiling it in milk for a while. I always felt like the THC wasn't getting fully extracted and I'd eat the ground up weed. But in theory you could just decarboxylate the weed and eat it.

I would imagine that any tea in which you don't eat the plant matter is going to end up weaker than any edible or beverage where you do eat the plant matter.

^Thats an interesting method with the poppy seeds I will have to try it next time. The Bhang Lassi I have made uses almonds I wonder if the oils in the nuts have a similar effect.
It seems like its pretty strong wether you remove the plant matter or not Ive tried it both ways and it works both ways. When I was in India the guys in the cafe I went to just made their bhang in the blender and didnt filter or strain it at all.
Ive also used the strained product in a cup of chai instead of milk which tastes delicious. If you make it strong enough you get a decent dose out of 30mls too which is just enough for a cup of tea. I cant find the recipe any more it was on Lycaeum.

A shortened version is: Simmer finely chopped buds, ghee and milk, add it to a blender with masala spices(or just cardomom seeds, ginger, and cinnamon), sugar and a handful of blanched almonds. Also work out a dose rate that suits you and is easy to measure. 30g of weed in a litre of liquid was what was in the original recipe. Grinding your own spices is a bit more time consuming but tastes heaps better in my experience. Also if you have access to undried bud its worth trying this in the reciepe for something a bit different.

The original recipe, it has some extra steps and takes a bit longer. You do need a pretty big mortar and pestle though. I'm not sure what purpose steeping the weed in hot water serves perhaps its just to soften it up? I think the first time I made it I used fresh ginger instead of dried and added some vanilla pod and star anise.

Bhang Recipe

It seems a bit labor intensive, but then it is meant as an offering to Shiva.
With the weekend coming up, you might find use for this recipe for bhang from Flavors of India by Shanta Nimbark Sacharoff.

* 2 cups water
* 1 ounce marijuana (fresh leaves and flowers of a female plant preferred)
* 4 cups warm milk
* 2 tablespoons blanched and chopped almonds
* 1/8 teaspoon garam masala [a mixture of cloves, cinnamon, and cardamon]
* 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon rosewater
* 1 cup sugar

Bring the water to a rapid boil and pour into a clean teapot. Remove any seeds or twigs from the marijuana, add it to the teapot and cover. Let this brew for about 7 minutes. Now strain the water and marijuana through a piece of muslin cloth, collect the water and save. Take the leaves and flowers and squeeze between your hands to extract any liquid that remains. Add this to the water. Place the leaves and flowers in a mortar and add 2 teaspoons warm milk. Slowly but firmly grind the milk and leaves together. Gather up the marijuana and squeeze out as much milk as you can. Repeat this process until you have used about 1/2 cup of milk (about 4 to 5 times). Collect all the milk that has been extracted and place in a bowl. By this time the marijuana will have turned into a pulpy mass. Add the chopped almonds and some more warm milk. Grind this in the mortar until a fine paste is formed. Squeeze this paste and collect the extract as before. Repeat a few more times until all that is left are some fibers and nut meal. Discard the residue. Combine all the liquids that have been collected, including the water the marijuana was brewed in. Add to this the garam masala, dried ginger and rosewater. Add the sugar and remaining milk. Chill, serve, and enjoy.

Last edited:
I can't help you with tea, but my recipe for milk is very simple.

Put .5litre of milk in a pot. Pour your herb in. Heat slowly for 30minutes, but don't let the milk cook. Stand next to this and stirr, don't walk away :).
After30 mins: filter and drink.
After90mins: go find a place to lie down.

People say you can get even higher if you let your milk stand in the fridge for one day extra, but that's not my experience.

How much bud would i use to make one strong cup? (i have a solid tolerance. I need 1/2g to my face of >18% THC Bud to get stoned) would it be the same as a jay or more?

I'm sure you could do it with small amounts especially if your bud is that strong. The recipe I used gives you a bit less than 1g per dose but that was using buds that were less strong than yours. Maybe make a few doses and wait to see if the first one is enough.

I just figured out what the boiling water part was for- to convert the thca into thc through heating. Apparently that needs temperatures around 100C to happen. I will have to make sure I stick to the that part of the recipe from now on.

But in theory you could just decarboxylate the weed

Am I right in assuming anything that raises the temperature to around 100-110C for long enough is going to do this? So with all these recipes the best first step would be to use an oven or vapouriser set to 110C to heat the weed. And the bhang recipe above should have an emphasis on the water temperature being very hot or perhaps adding salt to raise the temperature?

Edit: Looks like the optimal temperature could be even higher?
http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=491485

Last edited: