• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

'Everything is very odd here': Daniel dials mum as music festival turns to tragedy

poledriver

Bluelighter
'Everything is very odd here': Daniel dials mum as music festival turns to tragedy

"MUM, I have taken some very bad acid and everything is very odd here."

As found by AyJay.

These were some of the last words that 34-year-old Daniel Buccianti, of Epping, Melbourne, spoke to his mother, Adriana, from the Rainbow Serpent Festival in Beaufort, Victoria.

A few hours later, in the early hours of Sunday morning, he was dead.
A Victoria Police spokeswoman said Mr Buccianti's death was not believed to be suspicious.

"Drugs took my son," Ms Buccianti said. "He rang here that Saturday night at 6.15pm … and said, 'Mum, I have taken some very bad acid.'
"I said, 'Daniel don't worry, you need to get yourself to St John hospital really quickly.

Mr Buccianti asked his mother to pick him up but 40 minutes later he called again to say he was fine.
On Sunday morning, police informed Ms Buccianti of her son's death.

Rural Ambulance spokeswoman Gabrielle Degenhardt said there was nothing paramedics could do for Mr Buccianti.
"Around 1.30am, the man was deceased when we arrived," she said.

A 25-year-old also attending the music festival was taken to the Ballarat Base Hospital in a serious condition on Saturday night, after suffering a cardiac arrest in connection with a drug overdose.

Ms Buccianti said she held the festival organisers responsible for her son's death.
"They should be shut down," she said.

"If the police didn’t find any drugs at the festival then they were not looking hard enough."
Meanwhile, members of the small but tight-knit Buccianti family gathered at the Epping residence yesterday.
Candles burnt in front of Mr Buccianti's photo at a makeshift altar in the kitchen.
Just 10 days ago, the family was celebrating his birthday.

Ms Buccianti said her son was hard-working, likeable but sometimes cheeky.
A single mother, she said Daniel had been her strength. "My life has changed forever," she said.
Rainbow Serpent Festival organisers could not be contacted last night.

This summer music festival season, police have made more than 167 drug-related arrests.
On Sunday, 20 people were arrested at the Big Day Out through the use of sniffer dogs.
Last month, there were 90 arrests, 89 for possession of a drug of dependence, at the Stereosonic festival.
Police made 56 arrests at Summadayze on New Year's Day and four drivers tested positive to drugs leaving this year's Falls Festival.​

here

If acid was legal he would have never died. They take the problem upside down. Anyway, whatever.

Sounds like DOx tabs. Which are in Australia a bit.

I would cry if they shut Rainbow. It's the best festival here. Seeing Shpongle, hallucinogen and 1200 mics last year was awesome.

Ms Buccianti said she held the festival organisers responsible for her son's death.
"They should be shut down," she said.

"If the police didn’t find any drugs at the festival then they were not looking hard enough."
i can understand that a mother would react this way,

but we need to start firing "journalists" for corruption -.-

the man did not die of LSD.

Excuse my ignorance as i am not a big taker of LSD,

I was at rainbow on the weekend and i found this story quite strange.

Is it actually possible to have an overdose from only LSD? are there any proven cases of this occurring.

A few other things which were interesting.

A comment on his sisters facebook from a friend of his reads "we all did the best we could mate"

and a comment on the 'inthemix' article from a user reads "Very sad, however he died from a heroin overdose not from acid."

Lets hope that the coroners report comes up with some answers that the media has so far failed to deliver.

Wait what? someone actaully OD'd on LSD? Or was it something else? Guess we'll never know.

Excuse my ignorance as i am not a big taker of LSD,

I was at rainbow on the weekend and i found this story quite strange.

Is it actually possible to have an overdose from only LSD? are there any proven cases of this occurring.

A few other things which were interesting.

A comment on his sisters facebook from a friend of his reads "we all did the best we could mate"

and a comment on the 'inthemix' article from a user reads "Very sad, however he died from a heroin overdose not from acid."

Lets hope that the coroners report comes up with some answers that the media has so far failed to deliver.

huh... well if he was injecting it I don't think he would've lived as long as the article said.
Smokign it? I don't know, I do don't heroin and I don't IV or smoke opiates.

Acid has got to be one of the easiest drugs to hide and there is no way a festival could expect to find a tab or two. It is an understandable reaction from the mother though, shock and grief will unfortunately not allow rational thinking.

I agree with loulou reed, if acid was legal and regulated, this tragic event almost certainly wouldn't have happened.

the press will say there have been several "overdoses," but by overdose they mean any bad reaction that lands someone in a hospital where it can then be recorded.

there are no confirmed deaths from LSD. people have even taken thousands of doses at once and lived. i don't recommend this unless you're quite wealthy and you've always wanted to be an astronaut.

It is possible to OD on LSD. It has an LD50 of 12 mg according to Erowid. Even though that's a therapeutic index of over 100, 12 mg is just a very tiny amount of matter. However, I don't know where they get that number from. Another estimate on that same page gives the human LD50 as between 0.2 mg/kg and 1 mg/kg. Personally, I've ingested what I estimate is 5 mg at once, which resulted in little more than a beach riot and temporary breakup with a girlfriend (who owned the dropper bottle I emptied).

It should be noted that this is an interesting read:

LSD Related Death of an Elephant

In 1962, three men at the University of Oklahoma, lead by the idiosyncratic, CIA-collaborator Louis Jolyon "Jolly" West, injected LSD into an elephant for the first time. Their stated intent was to determine if LSD would induce "musth", a naturally occurring condition in which elephants become violent and uncontrollable. After a series of events, the elephant died. There is some controversy and confusion surrounding the cause of death.

continued http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_history4.shtml

Assuming that it was real LSD (a big assumption), then I am not sure that legalization would have made it less dangerous.
It is possible, but it is also possible that education was the missing key.
For reasons like this one, let us push legalization with science-based education (and specifically not moral- or religion-based education).
If people knew what they were getting into...

There's a cop on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0WJQPyhXrE [Hallucinogens] doco who rekons he nearly died from acid after doing a raid. I'd have to watch it again, but anyone who hasn't seen it, it's worth a watch I guess. He didnt die tho lol... probably felt like he was at the time.

^i think most people who take acid correctly (or too incorrectly) reckon they nearly died... ;)

There's a cop on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0WJQPyhXrE [Hallucinogens] doco who rekons he nearly died from acid after doing a raid. I'd have to watch it again, but anyone who hasn't seen it, it's worth a watch I guess. He didnt die tho lol... probably felt like he was at the time.

he sounded like he had some nasty psychological effects afterwards though,

I watched that the other night

To be honest, I have to agree with the fact that "ïf the cops didn't find drugs they weren't looking hard enough".

I've been to rainbow... EVERYONE has drugs virtually. It is probably the easiest place to find a dealer besides the projects in the US.

Assuming that it was real LSD (a big assumption), then I am not sure that legalization would have made it less dangerous.
It is possible, but it is also possible that education was the missing key.
For reasons like this one, let us push legalization with science-based education (and specifically not moral- or religion-based education).
If people knew what they were getting into...

That's kind of what I was getting at. Hypothetically, if it was legal and regulated, you would KNOW if you purchased a tab of LSD, you're going to be ingesting LSD. You would also know exactly how much you were taking.

IF drugs are ever legalised, which has a very, very low probability, I'm sure it wouldn't be a free-for-all, education would be a must and there would be strict controls, maybe like cold and flu tablets containing pseudoephedrine. Obviously not that simple, but it's an example where at the time of purchase there is someone knowledgable who can discuss the drug with the user. Informing users of contraindications, what to expect, correct dosages, side effects and other information.

Last edited:
if they were blotter paper, that's about the only common psychedelic besides LSD that would fit on there. and its LD50 is less friendly than LSD's.