The "I Love Rush" Thread

Vader

Bluelight Crew
Who else out there loves Rush? I discovered their music a couple of years ago, and was just blown away. I hadn't really listened to music in a long time. I mean, sure, I'd stick something on in the background, but it had been years since I actually made it the focus of what I was doing, really sat down and focused my attention entirely on the music. Their music, their lyrics, send shivers down my spine. I honestly get goosebumps listening to them. Seeing them live earlier this year was one of the best things that's ever happened to me, and I wasn't even on drugs (well, not properly). I was amazed that I'd never heard them before; they seem to be neglected, they don't receive the degree of attention commensurate with their fantastic body of work. I have plenty more to say on the matter, but I'd love to hear from other people who have also been touched by this incredible band and their amazing music.

btw, anyone posting "Rush sucks" will get an infraction :p

Rush sucks :D

Nah, I like Rush. I mean, I think some of their songs can get little too over-the-top in terms of concept and all around proggy weirdness, but they're all incredibly talented musicians and can write a mean song, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKpn0esJ73w

I think some of their songs can get little too over-the-top in terms of concept and all around proggy weirdness
I disagree (predictably). 2112 and Cygnus X-1 are just mind-blowingly amazing, and for me, the amazing thing is that even with all the abstract concepts and time signatures and stuff, their music really rocks. When I listen to a 12-minute long Rush song, it doesn't feel like it's 12 minutes long, know what I mean? Anyway, the progressive stuff is really quite a small part of their repertoire. That's part of what makes them so amazing, they progressed and matured as a band, and continue to make music that is interesting and relevant. Anyway, I can waffle all I want, but I need to back this up. Here is a song from the same album as Limelight that I think is just beautiful:
Witch Hunt
This is something that perhaps isn't typical of what people imagine when they think of Rush, but is one of my favourites. The lyrics are so clever, it's not often that a rock song really leaves you with poignant themes to mull over:
Prime Mover
I've obviously got more, but I don't want to overload you. If you like "Witch Hunt", I really recommend you listen to (or buy!) "Moving Pictures", the album that it's from. It's after their really progressive phase, and it doesn't have any particularly long songs on it, it's certainly not as daunting as, say, "Hemispheres".

I'd also like to thank you for posting in this thread. I had envisaged it as a navel-gazing club for people who already really love Rush, but I hope that it does encourage some people who perhaps have heard their music, and thought it OK but not spectacular, to take another look. I know I'm at risk of looking like a super-eager nerd here, but I'm not ashamed to say that Rush has made my life better, and if I can spread that to a few other people, that can only be a good thing.

I actually own 2112, Moving Pictures, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Signals, and Snakes & Arrows - I'm no stranger to their music, they're just not a favorite. I used to be way into them in high school, which was my Prog phase, I just haven't listened to them much lately because my tastes have changed quite a bit since then. Rush is a totally respectable band and have made some impressive pieces of music, and you're right, they probably don't get the respect they deserve by the general public, but that's hardly surprising. Most Rush songs are made with a degree of sophistication that a lot of people don't truly appreciate - it's intellectual, which I think turns people off, but they also have a distinct ability to groove out. They've released some mediocre albums, and at least one that I would call 'bad' (ahem, Caress of Steel), but on the whole Rush rocks.

Yeah, "Caress of Steel" isn't the best, and I don't really like "Power Windows" either. I think that it's inevitable, though, that a band that's so willing to go against the grain and experiment is going to have a few bloopers. Still, they're a great band, and they're actually in the business because actually they love making music, which is unfortunately all too rare.

I love the entire 2112 album, and every other album seems to have a stand out track, but I find a lot of their works sooooooo repetitive. Their albums tend to have a lot of filler as well, so although I used to listen to them a lot when I was younger, I never really play them anymore. Some of their lyrical work is fantastic though, Subdivisions is brilliant.

I have mixed feelings about "Subdivisions". On one hand, the lyrics really resonate with me as I grew up in the suburbs and I can identify with what's being said, but on the other hand, that synthesizer just sounds so cheesy. I'll never understand the fascination with synthesizers in the 80s...kinda like I can't understand the use of autotune nowadays.

AS a kid 8/9 i thought Rush were the best thing on Vinyl , 2112 & Power Windows being my two favorites . Don't really listen to them ever now but may dig out said albums and have a blast , will be intresting to see how it goes down.

AS a kid 8/9 i thought Rush were the best thing on Vinyl , 2112 & Power Windows being my two favorites . Don't really listen to them ever now but may dig out said albums and have a blast , will be intresting to see how it goes down.

I remember finding them when I was about 6-7. Rush is an amazing band. Even if you don't like them you have to appreciate all the talent they have.

Been listening to Rush for just about my whole life and have never grown tired of most songs. I personally either haven't listened to or didn't care for most of their most recent stuff, I don't listen to anything really after Moving Pictures (1981). My dad was always a huge fan of theirs and saw them many times before I was even born, so naturally he made sure I was no stranger to their greatness.

Neil Peart is one of the best drummers I've ever heard and writes just the most epic lyrics. I mean, The Trees is just incredible. Geddy lee blows my mind with his instrumental ability along with singing talent. I can't think of many other musicians who can play a bass with one hand, a synth with the other hand, all while singing and working foot pedals. Alex Lifeson I feel is just kind of left out sometimes. He isn't the one of the best ever like Peart and Lee could be called but is still a great guitarist. He reminds me of Jon Paul Jones of led Zeppelin, an amazing musician who often goes unnoticed in the wake of Page and Plant.

Caress of Steel and Hemispheres are probably my two favorite albums, with La Villa Strangiato being my favorite song.

I hated Rush forever and then suddenly "got" them about two years ago.
Amazing band...

I remember being 10 years old thinking the lead singer was a girl, kinda blew my mind when I found out he wasn't

Great band either way

Just came here to post a recent quote from Questionable Content.

"My love life is like a Rush song: complicated and wanky."

A buddy turned me on to an album, (I'm thinking their first) that doesn't have Peart on drums and I liked it better than the entire catalog w/ Neil. Perhaps that's blasphemous but w/e. I could certainly do w/out Geddy Lee's voice but musically, he, Lifeson, and Peart are a powerhouse. XXY is prob my favorite song of theirs.

BTW, Meth Minute presents: Is Rush Metal?

I always remember my mom hating on Geddy's voice growing up
She said she walked out of one of there shows a couple songs in after seeing Bob Seger open for them because she couldn't stand his queer little voice lol

I don't have a problem with Rush, they made some amazing music imo. I just always thought it was funny how my mom hated him

Rush is fucking amazing. I've seen them 3 times now and they get better Everytime! Was anyone here at the Montreal 420 2011 show?.not just the best I've seen them play but the best show I've ever seen, a 28 song set list justified $350 for a ticket

Sweatstoned you wouldn't consider Lifeson to be on the same level as geddy or peart? You must not be a guitar player! Sit and (try) to learn la villa strangiato and see if the time signature changes and pure musical insanity doesn't change your mind! Fuck it took me like a year to learn all Of 2112 :p