• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

In the interest of honesty

herbavore

Bluelight Crew
I came to this site in an unusual way and I want to be forthright about that. It was open on my son's computer when I discovered his body. I left my son at 11:30PM on May 30th when I dropped him off at his apartment after his first shift at his new job. He was excited and vibrant and he looked more alive than I had seen him look in two years. I told him he looked handsome and that I loved him and he shot me that dimpled grin that I have lived for all of his twenty years, winked at me and said, "I love you too, mom". I sang all the way home.

The next day I went to see him, and when he didn't answer my knock, I let myself in. That was the beginning of the dream I now live in.I will never forget the sight of my son's body, nor the feel. He was three weeks past his twentieth birthday. After the nightmare of calling 911, having the police order my husband and I to leave "the body", watching them uncover needle stash after needle stash, we waited for the coroner, and then we waited for his only sibling, his brother, to get off work so that we could break the news to him. Later that night I felt the need to go back to his apartment alone. I needed to be with his stuff, I needed to sit in his space, I needed to know if we had missed anything he may have left us. His computer was like an extension of him. From the earliest age he just intuited this world that still mystifies me. We have pictures of him at two, with all his stuffed animals piled on the desk around the monitor while he knelt on the chair he was too little to sit in and did "dwawings" with some primitive old drawing program. I sat in his tiny apartment that night, listening to the hum of the computer, watching the psychedelic, mesmerizing screen saver and feeling the heat from the enormous cpu. It seemed alive. I thought, "I'll never be able to turn it off."

Later, when my other son came to help me and he showed me this site, I asked him to post his brother's obituary. I was angry and hurting and I wanted to scream my hurt into this part of his world with the force and rage of a mother bear. But as my son began reading the posts we began to feel peace. That is the only way I can describe it. Here was a world where my beloved son was accepted, loved and even celebrated at times for who he was. (Yes the famous cartoon--that's my boy!) Outside of this world he was isolated, harassed by the law, plagued by a sense of un-belonging, of having no place in this fucked-up, spiritually bereft, materialistic, image-driven dying world. My son was funny, hilariously and outrageously funny. He was adventurous and athletic, fearless in the physical world. He was sensitive to all animals and to people who were vulnerable. He was kind and empathetic. He was smarter than anyone I've ever known. He understood more about physics than his dad and that's saying a lot. He was a wealth of factual knowledge about places on this earth I had never even heard of and little tidbits about obscure cultures and languages. He taught himself how to design websites in the slow times at a drive-through coffee shop he worked in when he was 16 and started making money from them the same year. There's more, but the point is, he was looked at as nothing more than a high-school dropout felon by the powers that be in this misguided world and it broke all of our hearts to watch him struggle with that. That is why I am so thankful to you, his Bluelight community.

You saw him for who he was and you embraced him. I have wandered around this site looking for any shred of my son I can find; any old post, anything. I am obsessive in my grief. It's not just here. I roam all over our town just to bring up memories. He skated here, sat there, ate here, surfed at this beach, learned to crawl on that one. We had a screaming fight about drugs here and held each other like there was no tomorrow there. This is my world without him. I embrace every picture, every word he wrote, every drawing he ever did. I say his name every morning when I wake up and every night I hope that I will dream him back, if only briefly. I hope those of you that knew him here will not feel invaded by me coming here. I have learned that when you honestly reach out to people that they generally grab your hand. I do not judge anyone for drugs. I have long been an advocate of decriminalization of all drugs. I had no idea what a harm-reduction site meant but now that I have explored it I see. I am moved by the community and all it has to offer people. I am moved by the outpouring of love and grief for my son. Thank you for doing what you do and for being who you are. It is a great solace to me. In case the cartoon reference was not enough, you knew my son Caleb as Ektamine.

Last edited:
I am so deeply touched by your post.
Your son was cared for by many here and we appreciated him for who he was.
Thank you for sharing him with us, and thank you for sharing the above post.
I am so glad that you have come here <3

My deepest sympathies go to you and your family.
Please feel free to reach out to anyone here. <3

Thank you so much for coming and sharing this with us!! Like ocean, I was deeply touched by your post and cannot adequately express how sorry I am for your loss.

A community that fosters friendship, support, and harm-reduction is our goal and I'm so thankful that Caleb was a part of this community!! So many of us feel such a profound loss at his passing--he was a very unique person and I'm confident he will live on in our hearts and memories.

Thank you again for posting this, and feel free to contact any of us here and check out the rest of the site.

herbavore, Thank you again for sharing that with us. I only spoke with Caleb a few times but that was more than enough to realise that he was a top bloke..He is dearly missed by many around here on Bluelight.

My condolences to you and your family <3

I am glad you have signed up for an account.

Did you ever learn about an official cause of death?

I am very sorry about how there were needle stashes in his room. I believe if most localities had needle exchange services, then people could take advantage of these and not leave used needles in stashes in ones room. Needle exchanges also reduce the spread of infectious disease, as well as reduce crime in an area.

Your son really was a great person, and I know we all miss him here.

I am glad you have signed up for an account.

Did you ever learn about an official cause of death?

I have requested the toxicology report. I feel like when I get it it will mean nothing to me because I will have no idea what anything means (names of chemicals and the amounts). Maybe some of you here could help with that.:) Caleb's dad doesn't want to see it--he's afraid that it will show that his death was intentional and that he will not be able to bear that. I don't feel like that knowledge will add to my pain. My pain just comes from missing him. Caleb and I talked about death a lot while he was alive. He always had a bigger view than just this plane. I just want to know for the truth of his story; I feel that if it was intentional that I want to honor that as a choice he made.

I am very sorry about how there were needle stashes in his room. I believe if most localities had needle exchange services, then people could take advantage of these and not leave used needles in stashes in ones room. Needle exchanges also reduce the spread of infectious disease, as well as reduce crime in an area.

We can take them to an emergency room at the hospital--that's what I did. They didn't ask me any questions, just thanked me for bringing them in.

Your son really was a great person, and I know we all miss him here.
At Caleb's memorial we passed out paper to people and asked them to write one word about Caleb and at the end we would all hold them up together and it probably still wouldn't describe a fraction of who he was. My word for him was "teacher". He continues to be that for me.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry, and beyond that, I'm not sure what more I can say... reading your post is probably -- no, undoubtedly -- the most moving thing that I have ever read here on bluelight...

I can help with the toxicology report.

I think that he was the kind of person who would never have done anything intentionally to harm himself, or at least that is how he came off to me.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't think any less of him, no matter what really happened. He seemed to be the most loving person to you, and I am sorry that he isn't here as he was a ratner enjoyable person to know.

Much peace and love <3

I can help with the toxicology report.

I think that he was the kind of person who would never have done anything intentionally to harm himself, or at least that is how he came off to me.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't think any less of him, no matter what really happened. He seemed to be the most loving person to you, and I am sorry that he isn't here as he was a ratner enjoyable person to know.

Much peace and love <3

I appreciate your offer. I should get the report this week. Don't quite know how to get the information to you w/o posting it for all on Bluelight. It is a harm reduction site but not sure how I feel about that...

I appreciate your offer. I should get the report this week. Don't quite know how to get the information to you w/o posting it for all on Bluelight. It is a harm reduction site but not sure how I feel about that...

If you click on Captain.Heroin's username, you can send him a private message (pm) :)

Thank you for sharing and welcome to the site. I must admit this was my first time crying while reading a post on BL. Your grief is understandable. Hang in there, I don't want to tell you that it will get better because I really don't know nor can I relate to your pain. But we all have lost someone in the past so I understand the loss part. I can say with a strong conviction that it won't get worse. You will find this site to be useful, you can help save other people's lives when they are in trouble to prevent such a loss occurring to another mother.

i was a mod on this site almost a decade ago and have seen many people here pass on, but i never have gotten used to it, your story brought tears to my eyes. my heart and thoughts are with you!

My word.... "knowledge"...

I apologize for my brevity but its hard for me to discuss this topic/situation on bluelight... I'm sure you understand what I mean @herbavore

herbavore: I had no idea that was how you came here. I... I'm really impressed. I knew that you lost your son, but I didn't know it was ektamine. Didn't know him well, but I knew of him; heard of his passing, of course.

My respect level for you has gone from high to higher. Most people probably wouldn't have stuck around a site in a circumstance as yours, but you've been a wonderful addition, at least to TDS; and I certainly hope that you are able to stick around here for a long time to come! :)

I miss him so much,constantly...he has been on my mind so much lately. every time i see his avatar and one of his posts,i cannot help but cry.I cannot imagine the depths of your pain. You are so amazing and strong and brave and I know he is so proud that you came into our lives and let us love you as we loved him. He was loved by so many. you should be so proud to have brought such a beautiful soul into this world. he touched so many lives...he is still alive in my memory and in the love i will always feel for him ,and even now his spirit is still touching my soul. I am so sorry for your loss and that i was offline when you asked for some of us to write something to be read at his funeral-and specifically mentioned me- and when i saw that post a few days later it was too late and my grief turned to anger because I knew something was wrong-we had been inquiring amongst ourselves for anyone who had heard from him. I am so sorry I let you down-I had a feeling I needed to log on the day you posted that request and I let my selfishness and need for time away miss out on writing so many beautiful words that swim in the ocean of my love. I did my best to not let Caleb down.In my heart I know I did not. In my soul I feel him telling me the same Although he is gone and I am angry-not at him-he did not let me down...he did not do this on purpose.he was instantly a part of a crazy kaleidoscope family.and although there was a piece of my heart that was missing,I chose to let his memory inhabit that void left in the wake of losing him when I just found him-when he had just found me-when we had just found each other and Bl just found him ....although my heart is broken,it will heal because he is forever alive in my heart.

thank you again for your kind,unexpected PM today. my heart breaks for you, yet is still full of so much love and Caleb is a huge part of my ability to continue to share all this love with all who need it and will let me share it with them........anytime you need to talk...I am ALWAYS here for you! I can also help you with the toxicology report and it will remain between you and I-who you chose to share that information with is your decision alone. If you end up not need help or getting it from somewhere else,I would like very much if you would share the results with me,although i do not expect it or take any offense in your deciding to not reveal that info with me.

If you want to read all of his posts,it is easy to do but may be harder on you than you may realize. If you like-I can will go through them for you and exclude the ones that may further stab at your heart but i will keep them safe for when you feel you are ready. If you have already figured out how to read all his posts,please know you can come to me about any of them,ANYTIME!
I have so much more that I need and would like to say.but the weight of my words have temporarily locked them away.still i will reach down within the depths of my soul and begin pulling them out for you to read one day soon...very soon,just not today.I am powerless in this but I will fight back the grief because there has been a great poem for him hidden inside my soul and I have not yet been able to pull it out of my own feelings of loss and anger and pain. But I will begin to dig them out of the very fiber of my being for you...I will begin today and I will let you know when it is content with itself and I hear him whisper to me "it's time,skillz- it is complete".

SO MUCH PEACE,LOVE and HEALING ENERGY HEADED YOUR WAY......................skillz <3 <3 <3

Last edited:
Oh, Skillz, thank you for your big passion for my son. Don't worry about not getting us your words for the memorial. It was pretty much a surreal blur to me that day. There is an online memorial site where you can post things if you want to(I'm pretty sure that my other son posted the link to it in the RIP Ektamine thread?). Lot's of his friends here have been telling me that they, too, are having a harder time with his death right now. I think it is because the season is changing away from the season he died and that feels so monumentally wrong--like somehow the world should have stopped.I am learning how to carry him in a new way;that's all I can say.

Oh herbavore. Im so sorry for your loss. Your post is heartbreaking. I hope you dont mind me saying but wow you must be one strong lady, even if you dont feel that way. Your poems and posts are great to read. I personally think your in the right place on this forum. You have hepled me so you musta helped others too.
Right now i have my arms around you mummabear and im giving you a big bear hug thats full of love and hope and peace. I wish you could really feel it. I want to say, Thank you, for sharing with us.
Thank you.....

Right now i have my arms around you mummabear and im giving you a big bear hug thats full of love and hope and peace. I wish you could really feel it.

I do feel it! <3:D And I thank you for it. Any strength I do have comes from all these strands of love coming in from everywhere. Thank you so very much.