• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Lung safe snorting

The.Ghost

Bluelighter
I've been lurking OD for some time now and have grown concerned by the recent posts about lung damage associated with insufflating powders (silicosis, etc.). I assume most (all?) of you reading this use your lungs while snorting. This is not necessary. There is a better way of getting powders up there, one which, if done correctly, will keep every last speck of powder out of your lungs. This easy method requires no equipment you don't already have (unlike that bendy sraw thing) and only a few minutes to get used to.

Without further ado, here's the method:

1. Inhale. You don't have to breathe in deeply, just a normal lungful will do.
  2. Close off your throat, i.e. start holding your breath. This will separate your lungs from your mouth and sinuses, which will be filled with airborne powder in a few seconds.
  3. Close your mouth, getting all of the air out.
  4. With your lips closed, snort your powder as you usually do, using your (initially empty) mouth to create suction by moving your jaw down and your tongue down and back (like when you yawn). In other words, suck air into your mouth through your nose. This part will take a little getting used to, since you're creating suction with your mouth rather than your diaphragm.
  5. Seal off your sinuses from your (now full) mouth and empty it through your lips.
  6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until holding your breath starts to become uncomfortable.
  7. Seal off your sinuses from your mouth again, open your lips, and exhale. Your lungs will now be connected to the atmosphere through your mouth, which you just blew all of the powder out of.
  8. Inhale through your mouth only.
  9. Repeat steps 2 – 8 as necessary.
  10. Close off your lips and exhale through your nose. (Optional: exhale half a lungful of air through each nostril by shutting one with your finger and blowing through the other one.)

That's it. The job will be done, and not a speck of powder will end up in your lungs.

On a personal note, I used to snort with my lungs and always had a chronic low-grade cough. Since switching to this method, that cough has disappeared completely.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I don't get it. I'm trying to follow your steps (I don't have powder, but just in general) and I don't even know where the drugs come in?

Anyway, I don't currently snort anything but I wanted to run through this and see if it really did seem "lung safe". I dunno if, even with that headline, I'd snort a lot of Opana ER and risk silicosis knowing what I know now.

Anyone else know how to do this? I'm not even sure where you're losing me...

This is a similar concept to blowing the powder up your nose with a bendy straw (powder in corner of bendy straw, one end in mouth, other end in nostril; seal off other nostril and blow)... I personally think the bendy straw method is much easier, but whatever works for you...

The bendy straw method I am familiar with. But with that, and with this method, are we absolutely SURE that no powder ends up in the lungs? It seems that there certainly is an argument that much less is inhaled, and that this way is, indeed, safer. But is it really safe?

NO, it's not really totally safe, but it is safer, which is all we can ever hope to accomplish with HR and drug use...

These methods will both close off the lungs, so the lungs will be safe from powder entering during snorting. Post nasal drip could still occur, but this isn't as great of a concern IMO (silicon would still be a concern however)

You know how you can shotgun someone with weed.......how about doing a shotgun & blowing powder into someones nostril with a straw but not blowing too hard, would that work just as well?

^Yeah, I guess it doesn't matter where the air comes from... I personally would not like to have someone else's breath blown into my sinuses (easy way to spread whatever the other person has), but I guess it's your call.

^Yeah, I guess it doesn't matter where the air comes from... I personally would not like to have someone else's breath blown into my sinuses (easy way to spread whatever the other person has), but I guess it's your call.

LMAO..........very true, I cant believe I didnt think of that, haha! Back to blowing yourself up your nose trick.

This is circular breathing, is it not?

Not quite. In circular breathing, you inhale through your nostrils into your lungs while keeping a reservoir of outgoing air in your mouth. In this method, your lungs are out of the loop completely.

The basic gist of the method is this: create suction with your mouth, not your lungs. That way only your mouth is exposed to airborne particles, which are then blown out.

I would argue that this method is very lung-safe. Anything airborne is expelled, leaving only the powder stuck to the inside of your sinuses / mouth. I don't see that coming loose. The drip, AFAIK, will still end up in your stomach.

I edited the OP a little for clarity. If anyone still doesn't get it, please tell us which part is confusing.

I don't understand how to create suction with my mouth. I don't appear to have any muscles which will expand my cheeks.

Move your jaw down and your tongue down / back with your lips closed. The tongue motion is the same one you do when you yawn.

Thanks for the question; I'll add this to the OP.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing this ill try it in future (Regular ketamine user)
(doesnt go through more than 1gram a week though)

That doesn't work for poorly water-soluble drugs, though. And yes, I do regularly take a certain water-insoluble drug this way. I know it shouldn't work, but for some reason, it does, and very well at that.

Let's keep this on topic and not digress into yet another thread about whether insufflating water-insoluble drugs works or not. That subject has been beaten to death in countless other threads.

I've been lurking OD for some time now and have grown concerned by the recent posts about lung damage associated with insufflating powders (silicosis, etc.). I assume most (all?) of you reading this use your lungs while snorting. This is not necessary. There is a better way of getting powders up there, one which, if done correctly, will keep every last speck of powder out of your lungs. This easy method requires no equipment you don't already have (unlike that bendy sraw thing) and only a few minutes to get used to.

Without further ado, here's the method:

1. Inhale. You don't have to breathe in deeply, just a normal lungful will do.
  2. Close off your throat, i.e. start holding your breath. This will separate your lungs from your mouth and sinuses, which will be filled with airborne powder in a few seconds.
  3. Close your mouth, getting all of the air out.
  4. With your lips closed, snort your powder as you usually do, using your (initially empty) mouth to create suction by moving your jaw down and your tongue down and back (like when you yawn). In other words, suck air into your mouth through your nose. This part will take a little getting used to, since you're creating suction with your mouth rather than your diaphragm.
  5. Seal off your sinuses from your (now full) mouth and empty it through your lips.
  6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until holding your breath starts to become uncomfortable.
  7. Seal off your sinuses from your mouth again, open your lips, and exhale. Your lungs will now be connected to the atmosphere through your mouth, which you just blew all of the powder out of.
  8. Inhale through your mouth only.
  9. Repeat steps 2 – 8 as necessary.
  10. Close off your lips and exhale through your nose. (Optional: exhale half a lungful of air through each nostril by shutting one with your finger and blowing through the other one.)

That's it. The job will be done, and not a speck of powder will end up in your lungs.

On a personal note, I used to snort with my lungs and always had a chronic low-grade cough. Since switching to this method, that cough has disappeared completely.
I actually had that cough for the last 2 days wondering why, I had just about a 30 left, and did this with this method in small amounts and worked like a charm. Thank You for the tips-> I did it with my mouth open though inhaling (while closing my throat) like I was inhaling chronic smoke through my mouth and nose, and then exhaled using my mouth. worked great, no cough, no sneeze. Now just gotta clean the additives with a water wash (I always take a hot night shower and cup my hands gargling through my nose, then inhaling the second cupped hand through my nose and squeezing out all the rest with my fingers 2 times in the bath to clean out the extra particles stuck to the mucous membranes and celia of the nose-the cut up sh*t that's stuck. After feeling warm nice I finish off with a tallboy or 2 of beer, and end it off with a benzo under tongue laying in bed).. Again thanks a lot!