• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Adderall Shortage - is this happening anywhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiaLæT

Bluelighter
I'm prescribed both Klonopin and Adderall at the same time. I picked up my prescription on the 11th of this month. Since then I've been to every pharmacy in the area at LEAST three times. None of them have ANY adderall at all, and NONE of them seem to have the option of special ordering and calling me when they have it. So far I haven't been able to reason with any of the pharmacies, none of them have any plans to contact me for any reason, and of course there's that frustrating issue of losing my prescription if I pick up just Klonopin.

I speculated that the shortage of adderall was due to the end of the school year in most all schools, and end-term finals means lots of kids picking up adderall prescriptions to study. But schools are mostly finished now, and the pharmacies haven't bothered to stock up again.

I'm not looking for solutions (I already called my psychiatrist about splitting my prescription in half, which seems very unlikely). I was just wondering if that was happening to anybody else, because this just sort of feels unreal to me. I didn't have this issue during mid-term finals, so maybe there's another explanation I don't know about?

yes this is happening all over apparently. I recently tried to get my script for 10mg IR addys filled and the guy said they didn't have any, and that none of the pharmacies around here had any because the FDA didn't allow whatever company makes amphetamine to make enough of it. so now there is a shortage.

I just asked the pharmacist if I they still had the 20 mg pills and he said yeah and I asked if he could filled me those ones instead, just half the number obviously so it would end up being the same script. he said thatd be fine and I got my script filled.

seriously? i didn't think they were allowed to do things like that, they have so many restrictions and whatnot. ill go give that a shot, thanks!

This thread isn't really suited for BDD, we don't do speculations about thins like this. I will move it over to NASADD as it seems to be a regional question. Can't promise it wont just get closed there though.

seriously? i didn't think they were allowed to do things like that, they have so many restrictions and whatnot. ill go give that a shot, thanks!

They certainly can.

I'm prescribed Roxicodone 20mg and my local pharmacy did not have any more in stock. Instead, they gave me 320 of the 10's.

This does seem to be a problem. My buddy had a script for 3 20s a day and his doctor changed it to 2 30s a day. He told him that there is some kind of shortage and the 30s will be easier to fill.

Finals? Noticed the same thing in pharmacies here in central Virginia (this was about a month ago, however).

Had a hard time filling a prescription for Adderall 10mg in NYC last month.

getting a refill in 2 days. i'll let you guys know what the status is in FL and if it's still an issue or not.

adderall shortage 2011 - nationwide

i was just curious if anyone else has been having a lot of problems refilling their adderall???

I had no clue it was basically nationwide and from what I read it has to do with shire and such who is saying its the DEA?

After reading up about it , it seems like its all across the US. 8:)?

thought id see if its really as bad as it seems and what ive been hearing...after 2 days and 8 pharmacies.

Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard anything about people having issues refilling their prescriptions. Shire isn't the only company that makes Adderall anymore (they make the name brand stuff but 99% of prescriptions are the generics, which are made by Barr and other companies...why pay more for the name brand stuff when its the same as the generic...?)

A press release, DEA bulletin, or something similar would be helpful. :)

damn shoulda looked harder ha..but i guess im not the only one. fda.gov also explains its on low stock.

I don't like how all these sources say the stock is low but none of them give an actual reason. Is the DEA just fucking with people?

This source: (FDA.gov - Current Drug Shortages) shows that "Amphetamine Mixed Salts, ER Capsules" are in short supply due to "API supply issues and uneven product distribution patterns." (whatever that means). Doesn't say anything about the DEA. Phone numbers are provided in the event you need assistance finding your prescription. The last update is from 7/12/2011 (U.S. date notation)

Where I am in the U.S., however, there aren't any shortages. Sounds like its a regional distribution issue.

Last edited:
The WSJ article mentions methylphenidate but still says its manufacturing issues, nothing to do with the DEA...

well it did say the dea is keeping strict control on the active ingredients for them. so not sure dea or the makers of the pills are for the blame. Or there are just that many people on high doses of adderall?

Status
Not open for further replies.