The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Tramadol - popularity in the US?

Æthel

Greenlighter
Hello, I'm new here, and this thread might be slightly misplaced, but I hope that if so you won't go all ballistic on me!

As I've understood, tramadol isn't a very popular opioid in the states. Here in Europe, it is, au contraire, much used and liked in general. I've even had discussions with Americans preferring codeine to tramadol, a position I simply cannot fathom.

Of course, tramadol doesn't pack as big of a punch as oxycodone, morphine or smack, but personally I find the speedy yet full of euphoric opioid-bliss type of high very attractive. It also has a nice duration and potential for redoseage.

Is it about prescription frequency, availability of better stuff or does the general American drug user simply not like tramadol?

I always keep a lot of tramadol around. If you're an opiate addict, it's good for withdrawals. If you don't really use drugs that much, it's good. If you're trying to get off of opiates though, it makes you feel terrible and dizzy at the doses needed, although it's better than straight withdrawals. Problem with that is that tramadol, even though it sucks compared to the good stuff (i.e. not codeine), it is almost impossible to get off of without getting terribly sick - worse than other opiate withdrawals. Which sucks, because it doesn't even get a real opiate addict high - just keeps him/her from getting sick.

this is a non-narcotic opiate..how coul;d you be serious?

granted i have used them and got high but i was like 14 anf found it in my grandmas bathroom

you want an energy opiate snort a oxy..leave this shit alone

Tramadol blows..if youre gona use an opiate use a real one

Ive never heard anyone i know mention tramadol....the only time i encountered it is because my dog was prescribed tramadol pills

this is a non-narcotic opiate..how coul;d you be serious?

granted i have used them and got high but i was like 14 anf found it in my grandmas bathroom

you want an energy opiate snort a oxy..leave this shit alone

Its easy to see why people like them - they can be quite recreational if a person doesn't have a massive tolerance. I think people don't use them as much here because other opioids (hydrocodone, oxycodone) are more easily obtained than in europe (this was my experience there as well.)

Tramadol's serotonergic activity also gives it more of a stimulant effect than some other opioids.

The OP is asking why people in the US tend to prefer other opioids to tramadol, not for recommendations on what he should use.

Its easy to see why people like them - they can be quite recreational if a person doesn't have a massive tolerance. I think people don't use them as much here because other opioids (hydrocodone, oxycodone) are more easily obtained than in europe (this was my experience there as well.)

Tramadol's serotonergic activity also gives it more of a stimulant effect than some other opioids.

The OP is asking why people in the US tend to prefer other opioids to tramadol, not for recommendations on what he should use.

Thanks for an answer that actually goes deeper than bashing tramadol and calling oxycodone an opiate (it is not more of an opiate than tramadol).

I've also been thinking in similiar patterns. I've never encountered hydrocodone, but I have tried stronger opioids such as morphine and buprenorphine.

Still, I enjoy tramadol, and calling it non-narcotic is simply a rethorical fallacy since it obviously is.

If tramadol doesn't make you high, your tolerance just might be way up there.

Actually Tramadol is considered to be a quasi-opiate, becasue unlike codiene,oxycodone,etc. it effects only 3 of the 4 main opiate receptors , the main one it does not effect is the one that produces euphoria, the pleasurable effects in other words. Pharmacology lists tramadol as a quasi-opiate, like I said it only effects part of the opiate receptors, not all ,especially the pleasure center receptors for opiates, which even codiene effects, as does oxycodone,hydrocodone,morphine and so on. So read up in a Pharmacology book about Tramadol before you claim, falsely that it is an opiate like oxycocodne!! It is not a true opiate , only a synthetic quasi-opiate type drug. That is why people in the US mostly do not like Tramadol, even low tolerant persons can get a "sedative like " high at best from it. Perhaps your thinking that tramadol is an opiate" as much as oxycodone is" comes from your inexperience with actual opiates and a "placebo" effect where you think that you are getting an opiate "high" becasue you think that Tramadol is an opiate?!! Read more about it, and I'm not downing you or your use of Tramadol, I have used it in the past when it was first on the market and not scheduled and doctors handed out samples like candy for tension and as a muscle relaxer of sorts..

Also buprenorphine is a partial opiate agonist/antagonist, meaning you get only a small amount of an opiate "buzz" from it, and morphine when taken orally has a very low bioavalibilty compared to oxycodone and hydrocodone, so taking 100 mg of morphine orally will give you about 20 mg of actual morphine tops in your bloodstream. Compared to 95%+ oral bioavailabilty of hydrocodone or oxycodone , morphine is not really a "stronger opiate" Orally compared to most like Oxycodone. Try a oxycodone or hydrocodone or even a Demerol tablet and you will see the effects of opiates.

would have to be one of the most under rated drugs out there..i've got a decent tolerance to oxy but can always catch a good buzz off tramadol..and can usually nod, shit's all over codeine IMO

Actually Tramadol is considered to be a quasi-opiate, becasue unlike codiene,oxycodone,etc. it effects only 3 of the 4 main opiate receptors , the main one it does not effect is the one that produces euphoria, the pleasurable effects in other words. Pharmacology lists tramadol as a quasi-opiate, like I said it only effects part of the opiate receptors, not all ,especially the pleasure center receptors for opiates, which even codiene effects, as does oxycodone,hydrocodone,morphine and so on. So read up in a Pharmacology book about Tramadol before you claim, falsely that it is an opiate like oxycocodne!! It is not a true opiate , only a synthetic quasi-opiate type drug. That is why people in the US mostly do not like Tramadol, even low tolerant persons can get a "sedative like " high at best from it. Perhaps your thinking that tramadol is an opiate" as much as oxycodone is" comes from your inexperience with actual opiates and a "placebo" effect where you think that you are getting an opiate "high" becasue you think that Tramadol is an opiate?!! Read more about it, and I'm not downing you or your use of Tramadol, I have used it in the past when it was first on the market and not scheduled and doctors handed out samples like candy for tension and as a muscle relaxer of sorts..

Also buprenorphine is a partial opiate agonist/antagonist, meaning you get only a small amount of an opiate "buzz" from it, and morphine when taken orally has a very low bioavalibilty compared to oxycodone and hydrocodone, so taking 100 mg of morphine orally will give you about 20 mg of actual morphine tops in your bloodstream. Compared to 95%+ oral bioavailabilty of hydrocodone or oxycodone , morphine is not really a "stronger opiate" Orally compared to most like Oxycodone. Try a oxycodone or hydrocodone or even a Demerol tablet and you will see the effects of opiates.

Opiates: Mophine, codeine, papaverine, thebaine.

Opioids: Hydrocodone, tramadol, oxycodone, buprenorphine, methadone, heroin et cetera.

Opiates are the natural alkaloids of papaver somniferum, the opium poppy. Therefore, oxycodone is not, and will never be an opiate.

Tramadol produces a euphoric high for perhaps millions of people, no matter what receptors it agonizes.

^ right on all accounts.

I haven't come across tramadol in a good while but, the times that I've had it I liked it. IMHO it's probably not as popular because of the availability of other drugs. Hard to say really but, I personally don't seek it like I would oxy. More like I stumble onto it.

change that sentence to "if tramadol dont make you high, your tolerance just may exist" and you a little closer.

for real yo, the only people i ever heard of this shit workin for is folks who dont got no tolerance at all and never use opiates.

The reason people here dont fuck with it is cuz theres so much better opiates available and most people who would be interested in using an opiate DO have tolerances. The type of folks tramadol would get high are people who aint done nothing better, who aint got no tolerance. But the folks who fit that bill are ones who aint drug users. In the US, if you interested in opiates and use em, you most likely done much better, stronger opiates, meanin your tolerance is too high to get anything from tramadol.

Short version: if you do opiates, you prolly got a tolerance cuz theres so much better opiates available here. if your tolerance is low enough to get high off tramadol, you prolly dont do opiates.

takin tramadol for somebody like me (and i been clean off dope over a year) or anybody who is a opiate user and not just a occasional rare opiate "tryer", is a complete waste, literally would have the same effect as takin advil.

Anyways, you right about opiate vs opioid, yea, but I think you completely missed daviskhighs point by focusin on that instead. ignore the opiate/oid shit for a minute and pay attention to the rest of the post, it aint on the level like oxy or other drugs becuz it dont fully affect the opiate receptors that bring the whole opiate experience. Shit, it aint even a controlled substance. Its schedule 4.

and damn, why you gettin so defensive, like tramadols your mama and somebody talkin shit about her? The shit might get "millions" (i doubt it) of people nice and high in your opinion but the reality is that it aint worth a shit to the huge majority of people who got any type of opiate experience at all. You can defend it as much as you want but its still a extremely weak not-even-quite-really-opioid that dont do much of anything for the majority of people who are interested in opiates(/oids, for your hair-splittin pleasure).

This question is like askin "why aint drinking baking extracts more popular? You can get drunk if you drink the little bottles of mint extract from the store, and you aint even gotta be 21 to buy em!!!" the shit might be useful to people who cant get nothin better. but nobody who got a choice, whose old enough to buy and can afford to buy real alcohol is gonna fuck with it. the answer is pretty clear , becuz to the majority of people, tramadol pretty much sux. if you aint got no tolerance, and aint got no access to nothin better, then it might be aight. but if you can get better shit, you most likely aint gonna choose tramadol over that.

Last edited:
Man Khad, you took the words right out of my mouth. It's like we're linked by the mind or something.

Tolerance is a very relative thing. Anyways I used to think the same way that Khad did. One day this dude I work with came in with a handful of tramadol and my opinion was changed. I am a tolerant user and I'm not saying I was fucked up but, it was better than nothing and probably better than codeine IMO. As Goa said I too have a decent tolerance to oxy.

I'm starting to wonder when the last time the nay sayers have had tramadol and at what dose. A lot of people are making recommendations but, few are saying that they've had it.

Ive done tramadol once..my dog was prescribed a bunch of 50mg pills that i happened to stumble upon one day. Took 300mg and nothin.

I had tramadol 75 mg pills and took at least 10 of them at once to get a mild buzz, more of a sedative like downer buzz, and thats when I had low tolerance.

Opiates: Mophine, codeine, papaverine, thebaine.

Opioids: Hydrocodone, tramadol, oxycodone, buprenorphine, methadone, heroin et cetera.

Opiates are the natural alkaloids of papaver somniferum, the opium poppy. Therefore, oxycodone is not, and will never be an opiate.

Tramadol produces a euphoric high for perhaps millions of people, no matter what receptors it agonizes.

Dude, Methadone is a totally synthetic drug, and oxycodone is normally made from thebaine, a naturally occuring substance in the opium poppy! Tramadol is totally synthetic as well ,so it is "therefore not ,and never will be an opiate" to use your words. Opiate or opioid your just cutting hairs on words, if you want I can break it down into chemical terms and see if you get it..lol..don't play word games on this, actaully there are 12+ types of opiates and opioids, morphians, methylmorphians, etc.. Heroin is made using morphine from opium, via the opium poppy, it is considered a semi-synthetic opiate, as is hydrocodone and oxycodone, but whatever, you are not experienced in chemistry or pharmacology enough to play technicalities with me, I will spare everyone a dense concise list of all the pharmacological aspects of all opiate/opiods that are made...learn more before you copy and paste some info on here, I can scientificly destroy your arguments all day long man, but thats a bore, everyone who knows anything about opiates/opioids knows whats what.

Naw ive got fuckin loaded from buprenorphine

Yeah ,I know you can , I was just saying it's not like heroin, or something , the guys saying he had done "strong" opiates or whatever, but bupe is not like Fentanyl,Diluadid, etc..thats what I was trying to say, not that you cannot get high on bupe,my bad..lol

i have been prescribed trammadol for years . it dulls the neuropathic pain that i live with. i can start and stop with no consequent WDs.
it is a mild analgesic - sort of an asprin.
desperate teen age boys are probably the only folks to try and abuse it. i probably would too if i was back in my idiotic teens.

Thanks for an answer that actually goes deeper than bashing tramadol and calling oxycodone an opiate (it is not more of an opiate than tramadol).

I've also been thinking in similiar patterns. I've never encountered hydrocodone, but I have tried stronger opioids such as morphine and buprenorphine.

Still, I enjoy tramadol, and calling it non-narcotic is simply a rethorical fallacy since it obviously is.

i love when people use big words but still spell them wrong...rhetorical fallacy it is not..here in america tramadol is not even a scheduled drug. so there is no way in hell tramadol is a narcotic..its the closest thinkg you can get thats legal and not a scheduled narcotic..and you said oxycodone is not an opiate lol im not even gonna bother respondind the that..you should know what your talking about and not just make up things and think we are that dumb

tram will get you sorta fucked if you have absolutly no tolerance, not to mention i hate taking 15pills of anything to have tio get fucked up..one 40 of OC is smaller then a tram pill and you could prolly get high twice off it..id be lucky if iut took away my sick

this is the only link i need to prove what im sayin is true but if you want more, ill give you a few more

http://pain.emedtv.com/tramadol/is-tramadol-a-narcotic.html