Do you pay for your electronic music?

Do you pay for your electronic music?

• Yes, I only purchase vinyl/CDs or download digital releases.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I mostly pay for my music. Sometimes I will get a release via torrents etc.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I mostly pirate music, but sometimes I will pay for it.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • No, I never pay for my electronic music!

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

AndroidsDreamofBTC

Bluelight Crew
I have to say that I download a lot of music through "non-official" sources, but for smaller artists/labels I always try and buy their releases through stores such as junodownload/beatport. Of course, sometimes I am broke so I forced to stick with my "non-official" source. I almost never purchase tracks made by big name artists (deadmau5 etc) through official sources. I will occasionally get CD's by mail, but that's only for my favorite groups such as Shpongle.

i only download the oddest stuff i can find(live/djsets), and if i hear something that hits me from another 'free' source, then they are definitely worth my .99 -

its difficult to get to the good stuff other-wise;-) the mainstream is just that; washes away at the surface.

I don't pay for my electronic music, but i do get it mainly through podcasts and radio shows that i assume aren't illegal to download, torrent or otherwise. Other than that i pay for my favorite djs brutally overpriced merch and see them at shows to attempt to make up for stealing all their music.

If it is more 'underground' music that needs all the support it can get then I would feel guilty about stealing it (piracy). I tend to download individual tracks rather than compilations tho so this makes it easier for me to get what I actually want :).

If it is released on some big commercial label then I wouldn't really care to be honest.

I purchase almost everything I own. I trade some via USPS and I also download free releases and mixes from sites offereing such.

:)

Last edited:
to tell the truth - most of the good artists that i follow release stuff free - i only pirate the mainstream crap for reference since i make electronic music and i want to keep up with the scene..

since we're on the subject - if you do bit torrent then please grab my releases! search 'noah cohn' in any major torrent search and get my 11 torrent albums! They include everything I have released in the last decade. If 500 people click then my download total rolls over 50,000! i want this to happen by my birthday in two days - so get cracking!!! :)

Yeah, as ford said I get a lot of music for free. A lot of great artists let you download their song from their website or soundcloud.

I feel fine about downloading electronic music or buying a track on beatport for sound quality. In fact, most artists just want to get their name out there and get noticed in this endless sea of producers. DJ'ing and performing is where the money is, and that's something I support in big ways on a weekly basis. That's where I pay the artist. Great thing about DJ's is that there are no huge riders or multiple semis with pyrotechnics. Just a suitcase, a driver, a plane ticket and a nice pair of sunglasses. The DJ's I worked for were picked up and dropped off in limos, flown first-class. Five star hotels, hospitality. Not only that, but they would pocket a lot of money at the end of the night. One time I deposited a check that was $12,000 for 4 hours.

Nice work if you can get it

:D

I think all of the traveling would be the best part/perk of the job.