View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Least Anxiogenic Psychedelic

Reefers

Bluelighter
I'm looking for a psychdelic that causes the least amount of anxiety, specifically on the come up, since that's usually when it happens.

The least anxiety I have had was on DXM, but even though it was a real trip, I'm not sure everyone would categorize it as a psychedelic.

Right now I'm most interested in 4-AcO-DMT and 2C-D. Haven't tried either but the psilacetin is on the way, and I am eager to test it out.

What other psychdelics are the least anxiety-producing?

I'm not sure about psychs that don't cause anxiety.

But I've only had one panic attack in my life and it was on 4-aco-dmt...and I know other people have had that happen as well...so if you're prone to that sort of thing approach with care.

2C-I and 4-HO-MET are both pretty good like that, IME. LSD isn't that anxiogenic either, if you don't smoke pot on it.

All in my own personal experience though.

2C-I and 4-HO-MET are both pretty good like that, IME. LSD isn't that anxiogenic either, if you don't smoke pot on it.

All in my own personal experience though.

LSD effects everyone differently, but I would agree as far as my experiences with it.

LSD to me is an overload of happyness, content, hope, security, and optimism all surging through my mind small or heroic dose doesn't matter as far as my "mood" it's always amazingly positive...

MDMA is the same to me, and its a guess of mine that taking MDMA with psychedelics may lead to very positive trips???

2C-C is by far the least anxiety provoking psychedelic IMO, 2C-B coming in close second. I also think Mescaline can be very friendly and not too mind warping compared to LSD and mushrooms. And yeah 4-Aco-DMT can be very anxiety provoking in the wrong setting. In my experience I've found phenethylamines to be much less mind warping than tryptamines.

if you don't smoke pot on it.

I'd support this view for all psyche experiences where someone has concerns about anxiety. Some can seemingly use cannabinoids for calming effect, and I used to think that it was doing this for me during trips... But then I "found out" that the MJ was actually INDUCING anxiety during the course of the trips.

So, I'd suggest leaving that out for sure.

As to your original question, I completely agree that 2C-C is magical in this respect. I have difficulties with anxiety sometimes on entheogens, but 2C-C doesn't seem to produce this effect. If your super concerned, then co-dose ~0.25-0.5 mg benzo such as etizolam or phenazepam. Although I might catch flak here for seemingly adulterating the 2C-X experience with this combo, for me Benzos + 2C-C = sheer, unadulterated bliss.

I concur also with the the previous posts:

4-HO-MET, 4-HO-MiPT or 4-HO-MPT are all wonderfully colorful without being too mind-fuckey or anxiety inducing. They are also quite short duration of effects, so that even if things turn south, there won't be a long time to have to endure the negative results.

4-Aco-DMT is indeed a dark, mysterious, cathedral-like material. It can lead one to deeply introspective nooks and crannies of the psyche, and might induce anxiety as a result. Not recommended for a light time, but I do not get any actual anxiety from this one... for me it's almost drunk-like, and sedative. It's minor dissociative properties could potentially get one in trouble though, if they grew anxious over the prospect of losing touch.

EDIT:

Damn... I got so involved riffing off other's suggestions, I forgot to post The Winner:

25C-NBOMe hands down takes the cake no questions asked.

Amazing

Last edited:
I'm going to make the broad statement that phenethylamines tend to be less anxiogenic than tryptamines. Of course, one can forego psychedelics entirely in favor of dissociatives.

Ketamine or methoxetamine maybe. It depends highly on who you are, I find DMT to be a very smooth, anxiety free drug while I find mushrooms to cause a lot of anxiety, while others are the opposite. Reactions vary.

Hmmm... interesting responses.

The reason I'm asking is because I;m planning on tripping soon solo. There's a lot I need to think about. I found 2C-C to be worthless when I took it at 40mg@T+0hr; additional 35mg@T+1:15hr. Definitely not strong enough. I'm not comfortable taking a huge amount of a 2C to reach the 60+mg dose all at once.

I have psilacetin and 2C-I on the way. Was planning on doing 20mg of 2C-I or 15mg psilacetin. Maybe the I is the better way to go for this solo trip....

Really wish I had some 2C-D.... :/

5-MeO-DMT. <3
I love it, it is almost like benzo and it gives me state of extreme peacefulness.

BTW, 2C-I is nice and enjoyable!

Tangential?

I;m planning on tripping soon solo. There's a lot I need to think about.

Hmm.. that tidbit of information actually helps a bit.

This may be tangential, but do you solo-trip often... have had some anxiety-inducing experiences in the past and are looking to avoid this, or have you not done much solo-tripping?

Personality will play a huge role here, but personally I find social situations and even intimate gatherings much harder to deal with on new substances than when solo. Of course that will vary from folk to folk, but take a look at your "type" and determine if you routinely "go solo" during everyday life by seeking intellectual freedom and solace by going inside your psyche... or if you get creative bursts and freedom by interacting and bouncing thoughts off of other people.

If you do enjoy moments of internal escape and daydreaming, then the anxiety associated with a solo trip is almost non-existent imho. If, on the other hand, you determine that you like folk to talk to for most of the day, night (even close relationships, etc), then you might want to dose low and have a buddy on call. Being a sociable person isn't a negative, it just means that you plan your tripping differently than a "internal" person.

I have psilacetin and 2C-I on the way.

perfect! take a full dose of 2c-i and a small of the psilacetin. reeaaally good synergy.

I've solo tripped on higher doses of 2c-i a few times. always went on a hike and had to use public transports. even went to "conservative taverns". and there was never even a pinch of anxiety. weed would freak me out more and give me a more fucked up appearance...

i don't understand you guys and your 2ci. my wife who is experienced with shrooms and lsd, has never had a problem steering herself mentally in almost any situation, she damn near had a full blown panic attack on 2ci. me and a friend of mine both had very difficult times getting past the anxiety that 2ci generates also. i took 2ci multiple times, thinking i just need to get used to it. to me, it produces a type of anxiety that can't be quenched. 2ci is like the opposite of lsd, mescaline, and shrooms where you can get to that peaceful serene place. 2ci is just like an anxiety machine to me. i'd say go with mescaline.

Last edited:
perfect! take a full dose of 2c-i and a small of the psilacetin. reeaaally good synergy.

I've solo tripped on higher doses of 2c-i a few times. always went on a hike and had to use public transports. even went to "conservative taverns". and there was never even a pinch of anxiety. weed would freak me out more and give me a more fucked up appearance...

I would highly suggest you (OP) get at least semi-experienced with each compound on its own before combining them.

i reckon mindset and setting can have alot of influence on the anxiety levels of a trip, perhaps even moreso then the substance itself?

btw lemon balm tea is a tasty anxiolytic i find

Hmm.. that tidbit of information actually helps a bit.

This may be tangential, but do you solo-trip often... have had some anxiety-inducing experiences in the past and are looking to avoid this, or have you not done much solo-tripping?

Personality will play a huge role here, but personally I find social situations and even intimate gatherings much harder to deal with on new substances than when solo. Of course that will vary from folk to folk, but take a look at your "type" and determine if you routinely "go solo" during everyday life by seeking intellectual freedom and solace by going inside your psyche... or if you get creative bursts and freedom by interacting and bouncing thoughts off of other people.

If you do enjoy moments of internal escape and daydreaming, then the anxiety associated with a solo trip is almost non-existent imho. If, on the other hand, you determine that you like folk to talk to for most of the day, night (even close relationships, etc), then you might want to dose low and have a buddy on call. Being a sociable person isn't a negative, it just means that you plan your tripping differently than a "internal" person.

Actually I totally agree with you. Whenever I trip, it's with my friends who are not very experienced with psychdelics. I always worry for them, because I feel that I am responsible for what happens to them based on dose and side effects - whatever (especially giving them RC's). When I trip alone I never have to worry about anyone. But then again, I don't want to be so fucked up that I do something stupid (that has never happened, and it's probably an exaggerated fear, but thats my only concern).

With 2C-I, I have taken it before, and know that it is very clear-headed, so I wouldnt have to worry about ego death. With psilacetin, thats completely new territory. Only took shrooms once, at a low dose (1.2g cubes). This would be my first tryptamine trip.

Sounds interesting, but I dont really like to mix psychedelics because I like to really explore the character of each chem.

OP are you saying you are researching so you can give/dose others? thats not the best idea, i usually prefer telling my interested friends all the info they ask but let them decide if and what they want to try.

anxiety is very much person dependent.

i found 2cd to be quite lacking of anxiety, 2ci as well, also low dose lsd.
but on the other hand ive had even less anxiety on most tryptamines ive tried, and these varied from shrooms to 4-ho-dipt. i just seem to click better with this group of chems.

but always set and setting is more important than anything else. i remember a trip on 2cc, at low dose, scaring me quite a lot because an unforeseen friend stopped by with some bad news... manage the surroundings better and chances are the trip will be kinder to you

I actually found 4-Aco-DMT to be pretty relaxing, even if I am a little anxious before the trip. But to answer the question, mescaline is probably the calmest psychedelic I've tried. I've never had 2C-C or 2C-D.

DMT itself.

Very calming, I find a small smoked dose (10, maybe 20mg) to work well if I have been having anxiety issues, or autie-related sensory overloading.

I might even go so far as to say its better than a benzo, for me personally.
I think it might be in part at least, due to 5HT1a agonism, 5HT1a antagonists are known to be anxiogenic, and agonists are strongly anxiolytic.