• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Escitalopram (Lexapro) vs. Benzo's

MatthewD

Bluelighter
Hello everyone. I recently saw a doctor about the unavoidable and strong anxiety I experience on a daily basis. I specifically told him I wasn't depressed, and that I was generally a cheery person. He offered me "anti-anxiety" medication, and to my surprise, it wasn't a Benzo, but Escitalopram (Lexapro) instead. I was aware that SSRI's can also help Anxiety to some extent, so I agreed to try it. Funny enough, he didn't inform me of any of the side affects, and literally just told me to "not take drugs" and gave me some instructions on what to take. But back to the point.

I was aware that SSRI's can inhibit ejaculation and sex drive. After taking the medication for a week, I actually thoroughly enjoy this attribute, and have grown quite attatched to it. It seems I last several times longer, and my sex drive is well, the same from what I can tell.

I still get quite a bit of anxiety however, and panic attacks. So I want start taking some sort of Benzo's. I have tried them in the past, and they work miracles for my anxiety. I also noticed that they too delay ejaculation. Now, the only thing I'm concerned about, is that they don't do the job as well as the Escitalopram! Like I said, I really value that attribute. What do you guys think? How do they compare?

:)

just wait until your orgasms are negligeble and escitalopram wont seem so great...

dont start taking benzo's as they are hell to come off and make you stupid while you are under their influence. try counselling and cognitive behavioural therapy as anxiety while physical often has a big mental component and learning how to deal with the beggining stages of a panic attack is essential for overcoming them.

best of luck- remember loads of drugs is not always the answer...

i'm on lexapro and have to say it is FAR superior to my klonopin in relieving my overall anxiety. Klonopin chills me out, but with lexapro its like the anxiety just isn't even there. the stuff i used to dread doing - like getting out of bed in the morning, or doing paperwork, or any kind of future-oriented obligation - i just do. its like the inhibitation has been removed.

i take my kpins just for fun and to knock me out at night, but i could take them or leave them. the lexapro has been a true godsend for me.

no side effects that i can tell either.

just wait until your orgasms are negligeble and escitalopram wont seem so great...

dont start taking benzo's as they are hell to come off and make you stupid while you are under their influence. try counselling and cognitive behavioural therapy as anxiety while physical often has a big mental component and learning how to deal with the beggining stages of a panic attack is essential for overcoming them.

best of luck- remember loads of drugs is not always the answer...

I have tried every bit of mental educating, counselling and resistance possible. I'd rather deal with addiction than anxiety, as it's ruining my life currently. I appreciate your concern though, but we're getting beyond the scope of this thread. I purely want to know what is better for delaying ejaculation and your experiences and comparisons between the two. Judging from what you said it'll get harder and harder to finish while on Escitalopram?

i'm on lexapro and have to say it is FAR superior to my klonopin in relieving my overall anxiety. Klonopin chills me out, but with lexapro its like the anxiety just isn't even there. the stuff i used to dread doing - like getting out of bed in the morning, or doing paperwork, or any kind of future-oriented obligation - i just do. its like the inhibitation has been removed.

i take my kpins just for fun and to knock me out at night, but i could take them or leave them. the lexapro has been a true godsend for me.

no side effects that i can tell either.

I understand what you mean, I haven't been getting nearly as anxious as before. I don't mind doing a lot of things which used to make me anxious, such as talking on the phone, certain topics with friends etc., but as I said to the poster before you, this is beyond the scope of the thread. Benzo's for me have so far been superior at reducing anxiety, but I only took them occasionally and recreationally, so I never really got a chance to see how they worked in the downstairs department (my main concern for now).

I took Celexa (citalopram) for almost 2 years...after a week, you have no idea of the sexual affects it's going to have. I think it's placebo for you at the moment. This medication KILLED MY SEX DRIVE and even months after being off of it, IT STILL HAS NOT COME BACK. My doctor DID tell me a good deal of the warnings at the time..but, it wasn't the right medication for me, I'm a couple days into trying Lamictal now.

Saying you'd rather addiction than anxiety...you don't really know what you are talking about. Addiction helps make most people's anxiety a LOT worse. I use benzos because of my anxiety issues, and by saying no therapy works for you, it sounds like you just want an excuse to get yourself a benzo script. I'm finding that yes, the benzos help quite a lot, but the counseling is helping too...you have to be willing to combine several different treatments, not just "I want a pill to take it all away!" After a while, your tolerance to benzos will continually increase, and you'll become dependent on them...read around on here, benzo withdrawal is a BITCH. Benzos don't seem to impact sex drive the way SSRIs do, but in your case, a benzo would be used AS NEEDED, meaning, not all day everyday but just for when you're so anxious you can't function, and really need to. Benzos are highly addictive and controlled substances, don't think your doctor is just going to throw them at you either --- doctors will resort to this when other medications aren't working, and even with counseling you still have some nasty anxiety. Lexapro will take about a month for you to really feel the full benefits from it, so this early on, saying "no nothing works I want benzos" isn't a very mature way to go about it.

I took Celexa (citalopram) for almost 2 years...after a week, you have no idea of the sexual affects it's going to have. I think it's placebo for you at the moment. This medication KILLED MY SEX DRIVE and even months after being off of it, IT STILL HAS NOT COME BACK. My doctor DID tell me a good deal of the warnings at the time..but, it wasn't the right medication for me, I'm a couple days into trying Lamictal now.

Saying you'd rather addiction than anxiety...you don't really know what you are talking about. Addiction helps make most people's anxiety a LOT worse. I use benzos because of my anxiety issues, and by saying no therapy works for you, it sounds like you just want an excuse to get yourself a benzo script. I'm finding that yes, the benzos help quite a lot, but the counseling is helping too...you have to be willing to combine several different treatments, not just "I want a pill to take it all away!" After a while, your tolerance to benzos will continually increase, and you'll become dependent on them...read around on here, benzo withdrawal is a BITCH. Benzos don't seem to impact sex drive the way SSRIs do, but in your case, a benzo would be used AS NEEDED, meaning, not all day everyday but just for when you're so anxious you can't function, and really need to. Benzos are highly addictive and controlled substances, don't think your doctor is just going to throw them at you either --- doctors will resort to this when other medications aren't working, and even with counseling you still have some nasty anxiety. Lexapro will take about a month for you to really feel the full benefits from it, so this early on, saying "no nothing works I want benzos" isn't a very mature way to go about it.

If I wasn't feeling horribly scattered right now, I'd elaborate on why I disagree with you. You've covered basically all bases, while barely skimming the topic of the thread.

As for counselling, that's not how I work. How do I know? I have seen Psychologists and Psychiatrists dozens of times, and talked to other people with similar issues to my own, both in person and on Bluelight. The fact that people can benefit from drugs has given me more relief/hope than any series of mental-probing ever has.

I am happy however to hear your experience with SSRI's, and although not comforting, it's good to know now that my sex drive may bite the dust for an extended period of time.

Anyway, we can debate over the seriousness of Benzo addiction via private message, and I would be happy to. But plain and simple, I want to get a Benzo prescription. It's worked for me in the past, I'm aware of the consequences and I'm anxious, to get rid of this anxiety. I literally had a random, uncontrollable panic attack about 20 minutes before I started typing this. Now, if people can inform me more about Benzo's effects on ejaculation and sex drive, I'll be quite enthused.

basically you want a quick fix

also how long were you using benzo's in the past for? and also how bad was your anxiety before you started using them?

also do you drink cafeine beverages or smoke cigarettes?

please give info

basically you want a quick fix

also how long were you using benzo's in the past for? and also how bad was your anxiety before you started using them?

also do you drink cafeine beverages or smoke cigarettes?

please give info

I'm trying to avoid these types of discussions. So please people, stick to the topic. But since you already asked, I used Benzo's when I scored them off random people, so only every now and then. They are considerably better for reducing anxiety than alcohol I found, and I can't imagine Lexapro can compete anyway. And no, I don't drink anything Caffeinated any more and I've never been a cigarette smoker.

SLR > Other Drugs

I think this may fare better over there.

OD Mods: Please feel free to bounce this to the appropriate place if you disagree.

Comparison's are better suited for BDD.

--->BDD

I appreciate the moderating. But this was purely meant to be a comparison of the sexual side affects of both these drugs. I've tried to keep it limited to that with not much success. So everyone, please consider that.

SSRIs and sex
the effects of SSRI vary vastly in their effects on people. Many people advise that you stay away from them - though these people clearly for the most part have not reaped any beneficial effect frpm SSRIs.

One reason people say this is because of the 'unwarranted sexual side effects,' primarily delayed ejaculation. This is the only reason I now take SSRI's , though I used to take them for anxiety with mere hopes that they would help my premature ejaculation.

My anxiety has diminished now thanks to lorazepam/ativan, which is a benzo. Benzos work WONDERS for anxiety, especially being able to take it on an as-needed basis. I haven't noticed a delay in ejaculation from benzos but I guess I'll find out soon enough ... ;)
For the record, I'm prescribed prozac/fluoxetine right now which is helping vastly with my PE.

Citalopram, for me, was quite the shitty med and did nothing for me but make me feel weird. No reduction in anxiety or ejaculation time.

You seem to have yourself sorted out fairly well but if you make sure your doctor is completely aware of what you're taking and WHY you want to continue taking it, you should (if not already) find yourself switched onto the perfect combination of meds.

Anxiety + premature ejaculation are two tricky buggers to deal with together.

I have fairly moderate anxiety all the time as well as panic attacks every once in a while, and for me at least, as anything more than an as-needed medication for panic or stimulant comedowns (or w/ds from whatever), benzos are really hard on the brain. Every two months when I refill my lorazepam and clonazepam scripts I binge for 8-10 days straight and I always lose those periods of time completely, it's like traveling forward in time, can't remember shit. Even when I've tried taking therapeutic doses every day benzos make me feel fucking stupid after a while.

Rather than an SSRI I take propranolol, a beta blocker, every day to manage the general anxiety and it works wonders. It's very very difficult to have a panic attack when your body's flight-or-fight response is slowed way down.

SSRIs and sex
the effects of SSRI vary vastly in their effects on people. Many people advise that you stay away from them - though these people clearly for the most part have not reaped any beneficial effect frpm SSRIs.

One reason people say this is because of the 'unwarranted sexual side effects,' primarily delayed ejaculation. This is the only reason I now take SSRI's , though I used to take them for anxiety with mere hopes that they would help my premature ejaculation.

My anxiety has diminished now thanks to lorazepam/ativan, which is a benzo. Benzos work WONDERS for anxiety, especially being able to take it on an as-needed basis. I haven't noticed a delay in ejaculation from benzos but I guess I'll find out soon enough ... ;)
For the record, I'm prescribed prozac/fluoxetine right now which is helping vastly with my PE.

Citalopram, for me, was quite the shitty med and did nothing for me but make me feel weird. No reduction in anxiety or ejaculation time.

You seem to have yourself sorted out fairly well but if you make sure your doctor is completely aware of what you're taking and WHY you want to continue taking it, you should (if not already) find yourself switched onto the perfect combination of meds.

Anxiety + premature ejaculation are two tricky buggers to deal with together.

This is the type of response I was looking for. I desire the SOLID anti-anxiety effects from a Benzo, but I admire the anti-PE attribute that SSRI's have. I'm curious as to how they compare, basically what the trade-off is.

Also, I'm diagnosed with ADD, so I don't think I want to, or could even be on Antidepressants, Benzo's and ADD medication.

I've been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and i agree i like the sexual side effects since i last longer. My problem is the urinary retention and sleeping all day everyday.

I want some benzos badyl cuz i know they will help and right away too instead of taking a month to be in full effect

This is the type of response I was looking for. I desire the SOLID anti-anxiety effects from a Benzo, but I admire the anti-PE attribute that SSRI's have. I'm curious as to how they compare, basically what the trade-off is.

Also, I'm diagnosed with ADD, so I don't think I want to, or could even be on Antidepressants, Benzo's and ADD medication.

we seem to be in pretty much the same boat.

my SSRI, prozac, has had some unique effects so far - i've only been taking it for about a week. it gives me energy during the day - great. it keeps my ejaculation rate down - AweSOME. it's also made me a bit more aggressive and agitated... but i can deal with that.

the ativan works perfectly well in every aspect lol, i'd say this is a perfect combination for me. only problem is potential tolerance to the ativan.

as for you being diagnosed with ADD, i can tell that me, with my drug-seeking attitude, would probably hit the doctor up for a script for adderall or something but I wouldn't take it every day. noo way.

i'm on 30mg lexapro daily and have ZERO problem achieving erection or orgasm in the normal amount of time.

i've been on effexor before which totally destroyed my sex drive and sex ability- god i hated that drug- so i know what it feels like.

but anyway, for me, lexapro is not a hindrance whatsoever to gettin' it on. plus it makes me happier and more in the mood anyway.

I'm glad this thread received the proper attention.

Rather than an SSRI I take propranolol, a beta blocker, every day to manage the general anxiety and it works wonders. It's very very difficult to have a panic attack when your body's flight-or-fight response is slowed way down.

maybe beta blockers can help. on the subject of it a bipolar friend of mine was prescribed beta blockers for anxiety and they did jack shit but thats because his anxeity was more based in paranoid mania (too much dopamine activity in his brain) and he need seroquel in the end.

i have another friend who has bad anxiety and is a chronic valium/xanax/alcohol addict

if the anxiety is based on the physical feed back loop then beta blockers could help. thinking that you are going into a panic attack can cause you to elevate your heart rate which in turn brings on the panic attack.

have you tried taking a b vitamin complex as i used to suffer from crippling anxiety and depression but taking a very strong (i mean way above the RDA) b vitamin complex has done wonders althought it took a couple of years for my head to get to a level where i experience no interference with daily functions. now i only get anxiety when i'm doing something new. excessive sweating and tight stomach (cant eat) being the worst of it which is really not much to deal with.

also a massive help for anxiety is to avoid hot environments like the plague and ALWAYS have a bottle of cold water with you to help the dry mouth. my best tips anyway:)

maybe beta blockers can help. on the subject of it a bipolar friend of mine was prescribed beta blockers for anxiety and they did jack shit but thats because his anxeity was more based in paranoid mania (too much dopamine activity in his brain) and he need seroquel in the end.

i have another friend who has bad anxiety and is a chronic valium/xanax/alcohol addict

if the anxiety is based on the physical feed back loop then beta blockers could help. thinking that you are going into a panic attack can cause you to elevate your heart rate which in turn brings on the panic attack.

have you tried taking a b vitamin complex as i used to suffer from crippling anxiety and depression but taking a very strong (i mean way above the RDA) b vitamin complex has done wonders althought it took a couple of years for my head to get to a level where i experience no interference with daily functions. now i only get anxiety when i'm doing something new. excessive sweating and tight stomach (cant eat) being the worst of it which is really not much to deal with.

also a massive help for anxiety is to avoid hot environments like the plague and ALWAYS have a bottle of cold water with you to help the dry mouth. my best tips anyway:)

I'm taking beta-blockers and they're supposed to be good for moments of acute anxiety such as public speaking or presentations, but they do jack shit for me in such situations. My anxiety overpowers the effects of the propranolol at such moments, the shit's simply not strong enough at any dosing, my heart simply cracks through and goes 100mph. And it doesn't do anything for trembling either.

SSRI's are supposed to be good for mental anxiety. The doc tried SSRI's on me but I ain't accepting that shit, rejected on first sight, it's physical anxiety that bothers me more than mental at the moment. Benzos takes care of both so I'm trying to get them prescribed.

The addiction aspect of benzos doesn't bother me, when I self medicated on benzos I barely took them, only when I knew I had a presentation coming would I pop one and it worked great, felt like I wanted to sleep so didn't care much about the audience.