Aesop rock

tryptanite

Bluelighter
Is he not a God? If you think not. Justify.

If you have never heard of him, look up these songs.

-The Greatest Pac-Man victory in history -Aesop Rock (whole song=LSD reference)

-ANYTHING ON ALBUM "LABOR DAYS" particularly
- Daylight
- The Yes and The Ya'll
- Coma
- Save Yourself
- Flashflood

I don't even know why I am saying this, all of his music is Godlike, LISTEN.

Last edited:
it's good, I don't agree with it being the best in hip-hop. his lyrics are extremely well done but his voice is a little bit too white boy for me. his flow is ok, his beats are ok

Aesop Rock is great shit, but I gotta be in a certain mood to bump most of his tracks.

I like him because he raps about things I relate to. Like not having very much melanin in your skin.

He's good. I don't think he's a god though. I've always liked everything I've heard of his. None Shall Pass (the song) is a favorite of mine.

'down by the river where the litter sits
and lion heart critters smoke dope and act like illiterates'

*chirp chirp*

his beats are ok

shout out to blockhead!

I like the cryptic nature of aesop's lyrics. He was one of the first 'underground' MCs I came across, Daylight being the song to be precise. He's good but not godlike.

my favorite song by him is probably Night Light. I like how he pretty much disses Day Light because everyone seemed to hop on his nuts when that song came out.

I enjoy all of his work though, I'm not a big rap fan, but Aes knows how to tear it up and the way his disjointed rhymes all flow together and make sense is just mind bogglng.

hes pretty amazing...... god like for in genre......

was my fav for many years.......

He's fantastic.
He has a very unique sound. And it's fucking great.
dude does great work.

The production work is great.

I tend to judge all tracks by how the song sounds musically, with a nice pair of cans and no vocals. Aesop Rock puts together tracks that are catchy and complex, and his voice just adds another layer to an already great tune - unlike other hip hop artists who seem to treat their music as the bed of lettuce to rest their vocals on.

daylight is a good/okay song, but when it comes to rappers like this (white backpack rappers), i like atmosphere* and non prophets and sage francis and shit better, but not by much.

he's certainly not a god. his rhymes don't impress me. he seems to be way more into navel gazing than rapping about anything that i care about. like girls and how hot it is outside. and how much the north sucks.

*i know i know, atmosphere isn't white.

I'm a BIG fan of Aesop Rock. While I like how cryptic his lyrics are sometimes, it also sucks not being able to understand everything.
9-5ers Anthem off of Labor Day is one of my favorites by him

"We the American working population
Hate the fact that eight hours a day
Is wasted on chasing the dream of someone that isn't us
And we may not hate our jobs,
But we hate jobs in general
That don't have to do with fighting our own causes.
We the American working population
Hate the nine to five day-in/day-out
But we'd rather be supporting ourselves
By being paid to perfect the pasttimes
That we have harbored based solely on the fact
That it makes us smile if it sounds dope."

The production work is great.

I tend to judge all tracks by how the song sounds musically, with a nice pair of cans and no vocals. Aesop Rock puts together tracks that are catchy and complex, and his voice just adds another layer to an already great tune - unlike other hip hop artists who seem to treat their music as the bed of lettuce to rest their vocals on.

Well, give some love to Blockhead as well because he's contributed as much, or maybe even more, to the production of the songs as Aesop has. He's one of the more underrated producers out there, along with Jel but that's another story.

http://youtu.be/AELkWTkvMFc?t=2m43s

Last edited:
i really like aesop rock, generally i'm not particularly inclined toward hip hop, but aesop rock is exempt from that. personally i prefer none shall pass to labor days, but they're both really solid albums. my fav. tracks are probably coffee and fumes.
i kinda prefer el-p to aesop rock though, and el-p's track delorean (which aesop rock is featured on) is still one of my favorite tracks to smoke lung-killing bong hits to.

I dont like him at all. I mean hes got wordplay and shit but his music isnt "fun" to listen to. I dont know anyone personally who likes him but on youtube videos everyone acts like hes the best out. Hes lyrics are weird in my opinion but that has nothing to do with my dislike of him.

Yeah his lyrics are "weird", but I prefer having to think about lyrics. They're like an aural Rorschach test - Ace paints these abstract scenes with his lyrics and its up to the listener to decipher them, or at least project their own feelings onto them.

As far as intelligent hip hop goes, Aesop Rock is the top of the mountain.