• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids The Lyrica (Pregabalin) Mega Thread v 2.0

I've posted this in another thread, but maybe it's better here:

I am als new :) I have agoraphobia and panic disorder. Also depression for more than 10 years now. After taking various antidepressants with horrible side effects,I am now stuck with Pregabalin 200mg, 2-3 times a week (I am rather satisfied, that I don't have to take this daily..). It works very well for anxiety and a little for depression. However, I have the feeling that it makes my teeth very sensitive. They also hurt on days I have to take them..sometimes like teeth hurt when having a cold/the flu. Did anyone else experience this and has an explanation? Maybe the gabapentin users, as I understand these two are very similar. Psychiatrist could not give an explanation and I am starting to worry about my teeth8)

Does anyone have an explanation why it could be damaging to teeth?

I get get something similar, but it's in my gums not the teeth. It's a weird nerve type of pain. It just the back bottom teeth/ gums, kinda of freakish.

Man in the Dark: Yes, I also noticed that I have gum imflammation more often. And the pain is mainly in my back teeth an the two top front teeth. I'm really concerned about my teeth :( Well...seems like Pregabalin stopped working for me anyway. No happy feelings anymore and I feel kind of agitated/irritable on these days. I think I'll take a longer break and see if it works again.

I was able to finally get off GABA; although I do have seizures, which is why I was scripted, I pushed for it because it once made me feel "good". well, after taking 1600MG/day for a year, the "good" feeling obviously went away but was scared to kick the GABA due to seizures. I am on Keppra for the seizures, which is a must better drug for that; I just "worked" my Dr. to get scripted the GABA for obvious reasons.

wondering if you guys think making the transfer to Lyrica is even worth it at this point? again, I am doing this just to get a good "feel" rather than to actually prevent seizures; if they happen to do both, great. but the Keppra, 4000MG/day, is more than enough for seizures.

so has anyone STOPPED feeling GABAPENTIN and decided to move to Lyrica and actually get a warm/fuzzy feel out of it? unfortunately, this is the junkie in me talking. I am in the middle of going through Chemotherapy so I feel I can ask for anything at this point and probably get the script.

Slow_Mobius: No..sorry that isn't it. I have been to a dentist twice the last six months. First time for a check-up.. Everything was fine, no cavities he said. When they started getting sensitive I went again. He said that it was fine and then I mentioned that I am taking pharamaceutical drug against anxiety/depression. He only said that they produced a dry mouth and I should drink more. Maybe it's just me, but he did sound a little annoyed then:|. Anyway, I do not think it is the dry mouth problem. I have this a little on Pregabalin, but I drink water and practically chew gum all the time. My psychiatrist isn't even aware of alle the side effects it has, I researched it myself but I found no side effect regarding teeth and only recently stumbled over this thread, where it was mentioned two times I think.

I have been having a weird mouth thing to, and I now believe it is the pregabalin. It feels like my gums are numbish and tingling at times. Towards the end of the day it feels like my entire mouth feels strange.
It's just super annoying.

MocCozmik: My gumbs are not numbish but the tingling sensation is what I would describe. My teeth on the other hand feel like I have the flu or something..when I have the flu everything hurts (skin, teeth etc.). But my worries are more that it would somehow damage the enamel or cause cavities..Don't know if that is possible. Any dentists here=D?

Boston, I have found Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Pregabalin (Lyrica) to be almost completely cross-tolerant and accordingly, very similar in effect(s). With that being said, I think that you would probably have a better experience with Pregabalin than with Gabapentin, but only if you give your tolerance significant time to reduce.

Yes, Keif' Richards is correct. Both gabapentin and pregabalin work the same way. But remember when you make the transition that pregabalin has different pharmacokinetics ie it gets rapidly and completely absorbed and it's incredibly potent compared to gabapentin but even with the doses you've been taking I'm convinced you'll still get a very noticeable effect from the pregabalin because 1600mg a day is not enough to dampen any effects from this drug. It is a HELL of a lot more potent. I really hope you get to try it. :)

I had nerve damage after a bad car accident and was given this medicine. Had no prior knowledge of it beforehand and I'm pretty schooled on my pharmies. I was on a high dose for like a month and I was messed up all the time. It was fun at first but then it was just too much. When I came off it after a month, the WD's were horrific! Like the WD's from long term benzo use. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. I've seen people on it hardcore and they're like zombies.

I had nerve damage after a bad car accident and was given this medicine. Had no prior knowledge of it beforehand and I'm pretty schooled on my pharmies. I was on a high dose for like a month and I was messed up all the time. It was fun at first but then it was just too much. When I came off it after a month, the WD's were horrific! Like the WD's from long term benzo use. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. I've seen people on it hardcore and they're like zombies.

Did you come off cold turkey or did you taper?

Agreed Wilson Wilson! My recreational dose for lyrica is 1400mg but my prescribed dose is 400mg daily, i save them up and go on a binge, I have shrinks appt on Thursday and I'm gonna ask for an increase to 600mg, along with codeine and fentanyl I find lyrica fantastic for my GAD. It's a lifesaver!

Wow that is a high dosage. At 600mg I really start to feel overwhelmed by this optiate cannabis like high. Also i get side effects such as irregular heartbteat, not being able to hold urine down, tinnitus

I read conflicting reports on this one,but general agreement seems to be that the effects are quite recreational,although tolerance develops very fast.
Are the effects more mdma like or more opiate like?or somewhere in between?

Yes the withdrawals are terrible from this shit. A taper is necessary. Benzos to help with the insomnia and rebound anxiety too.

Agreed Wilson Wilson! My recreational dose for lyrica is 1400mg but my prescribed dose is 400mg daily, i save them up and go on a binge, I have shrinks appt on Thursday and I'm gonna ask for an increase to 600mg, along with codeine and fentanyl I find lyrica fantastic for my GAD. It's a lifesaver!

1400mg is a massive dose! I use it so infrequently that even 150mg is enough for me to get fun out of it. I just have some piled up from an old script.

I have GAD too and it does help treat it without tolerance, but when I was on it daily it quickly became ineffective. I find benzos much more useful for anxiety. But pregabalin sure can be fun and it's very good at potentiating other drugs.

i took almost 3 grams of the stuff when i first got an RX to it. ate it all day, no tolerance at all. was tripping hard - closed eye visuals like fractals and flashes of lights, tracers & spinning fractal patterns and other OEV's, loss of coordination. it was very close to low dose LSD actually. obviously noone should eat grams of the shit, but i have more times than i can count, and i have one kidney, and i haven't noticed any negative effects aside from "the jolts" which only happen when i'm approaching the 2G mark.

unfortunately if i eat 2 grams now there is very little pleasure and only negative effects. it is the best medicine for opiate WD's though. a gram a day will keep the dope sick away. i always thought if i could obtain enough for a 7 day binge at that dose i could kick dope...

I get get something similar, but it's in my gums not the teeth. It's a weird nerve type of pain. It just the back bottom teeth/ gums, kinda of freakish.

My first post:
Completely agree with the both of you. I've never had any problems with my gums or teeth until I was prescribed Lyrica 100mgs 2X daily.
I really thought I was only one until I read theses posts and personally think that it will become an obvious side affect upon years to come.

louis76: Did you get cavities? I think I did (will pay a visit to the dentist next week). How long have you been taking Lyrica and when did you first notice it?

I came off cold turkey. It was awful. But I was on 4 different meds at the time and I came off all of them at the same time!! I was on Lyrica, Norco, Robaxin, and Klonopin. Talk about hell on earth!! Fortunately, after about 7 days of being VERY sick, my Dr prescribed me Klonopin again and that helped a lot with WD's.

I came off cold turkey. It was awful. But I was on 4 different meds at the time and I came off all of them at the same time!! I was on Lyrica, Norco, Robaxin, and Klonopin. Talk about hell on earth!! Fortunately, after about 7 days of being VERY sick, my Dr prescribed me Klonopin again and that helped a lot with WD's.

If the doctor told you to that this was very very irresponsible. You should wean off each medication individually. Coming off all of them at once is bad enough, but doing it cold turkey is ridiculous.

So, yeah, I agree that benzo's saved me. I was on the verge of having to go to the hospital from the terrible WD's. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat (lost roughly 12 pounds in 7 days), I couldn't do anything. I just laid in bed and went through the chills and sweats and being sick. My whole body hurt from my muscles being so tight as I would stay totally tensed up. I wouldn't wish what I went through on my worst enemy. For real, don't mess around with this stuff!! And if you do need to come off it, you should absolutely taper off and be under a Dr's supervision. I know there are people that have to take it and I understand that. But, please don't take this for fun!! It's not worth it, IMO. I've used a lot of pharmies for fun, especially when I was in college...but this stuff seems to be immediately addictive! I know benzo's are highly addictive as well, but I could take those for a month straight and come right off them cold turkey with little or no WD's. Of course, if you take a benzo for longer than that and stop cold turkey, I would liken the WD symptoms from that to those I went through with Lyrica. I'll never take it again. Even if I was in a situation where it needed to be medically given. I think this is one of the most dangerous pharmaceuticals out there!!! And, trust me, I've pretty much tried everything there is.