• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

anti depressant advice

Levvytation

Bluelighter
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, if so feel free to move it mods.

I've reluctantly been prescribed an anti-depressant, its a road I've been avoiding, but...

Apparently they've come a long way in the last few years. The stuff I've been prescribed is called Dosulepin, done abit of googling & it doesn't look too bad. It has sedative effects & the list of side-effects and what it can't be taken with doesn't look too bad.

I was wondering if anyone here hasbeen/is on this paticular drug, and any info/comments on anti depressants in general would be appreciated.

Thnx, Levvy.

I dont have any experience to give with this particular drug...

but i have found on this forum there is a rabid anti- anti-depressant sentiment among many individuals. anti-depressants (paxil especially) have helped me out of some very tough times. they certainly do have some nasty side effects, but these were negligable when it treated the terrible depression i was dealing with. though i do think dr's are sometimes doling out these pills with no knowledge of their true effects (and much much too often).

basically, if you get a bunch of responses saying, "just exercise and eat right, dont take that trash," take it with a grain of salt.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, if so feel free to move it mods.

I've reluctantly been prescribed an anti-depressant, its a road I've been avoiding, but...

Apparently they've come a long way in the last few years. The stuff I've been prescribed is called Dosulepin, done abit of googling & it doesn't look too bad. It has sedative effects & the list of side-effects and what it can't be taken with doesn't look too bad.

I was wondering if anyone here hasbeen/is on this paticular drug, and any info/comments on anti depressants in general would be appreciated.

Thnx, Levvy.

That's what I'm on! Wow, this is the first instance of someone else on here being scripted this :) I'll post this for now so you know yer not alone and I'll be editing this with added experiences and suggestions etc.

--- OK ---

Dosulepin is older than the newer, always-scripted-first Antideps such as Citalopram, Fluoxetine etc.
It's been in use since the 60's I think, and personally I have a lot more trust of it's abilities as a good Antidep.

The sedatory effects it has are good for Anxiety and for Insomnia (atleast for a while, whilst they work - the Anxiolytic effects last long-term) and as for side effects, this is always subjective, but I've only experienced the sedatory effects and dry mouth.
No "getting-used-to-it" Anxiety or anything else I've experienced on the newer SSRIs.

Anyway - It's helped me quite a lot. It's not majorly "flattening" in terms of being a compressor for your mood (I've experienced that badly with Citalopram.. Being in a form of morbid apathy) and it just keeps me nice and level so I'm able to cope better with what's going on in my mind.

I really hope you have as good an experience with it as I have :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Is this a new drug? It's a tricyclic AD and those I thought were kinda old school, before the likes of Paxil and such. Can be used for pain just like other tricyclics, interesting. I'm always on the lookout for new pain meds. IF anyone has more info on this drug I'd be interested to learn about it cuz this is the first time I've ever heard of it. How does it compare to other, more common tricyclics?

No it's quite old :) As I said, it's been used since the mid/late 60's or something.
Apparently it's quite good for nerve-related pain and things like Fibromyalgia.
I don't know how it compares to other Tricyclics but as far as I'm aware it is quite a commonly used one. It's other name is Dothiepin, which might be why you've not heard of it before?
Who knows ;) Anyhoo - If you end up trying it out I hope it works well for you :)

I think this is better suited to healthy living.

Gorgeous HL mods, if you want to toss this back, feel free.

---->HL

That's what I'm on! Wow, this is the first instance of someone else on here being scripted this :) I'll post this for now so you know yer not alone and I'll be editing this with added experiences and suggestions etc.

--- OK ---

Dosulepin is older than the newer, always-scripted-first Antideps such as Citalopram, Fluoxetine etc.
It's been in use since the 60's I think, and personally I have a lot more trust of it's abilities as a good Antidep.

The sedatory effects it has are good for Anxiety and for Insomnia (atleast for a while, whilst they work - the Anxiolytic effects last long-term) and as for side effects, this is always subjective, but I've only experienced the sedatory effects and dry mouth.
No "getting-used-to-it" Anxiety or anything else I've experienced on the newer SSRIs.

Anyway - It's helped me quite a lot. It's not majorly "flattening" in terms of being a compressor for your mood (I've experienced that badly with Citalopram.. Being in a form of morbid apathy) and it just keeps me nice and level so I'm able to cope better with what's going on in my mind.

I really hope you have as good an experience with it as I have :) Good luck!

:)Thanks for that, you've eased my mind considerably. It was mainly the ''Try this one for a bit and we'll see how it goes'' routine that was putting me off. My sister tried 3 or 4 before finding the right one for her. One she tried for a while gave her bad night sweats, anxiety and so on. It was one of the newer ones that she had the problems with.

Took one last night & slept well, just took tonights. Find it very pleasant upto now, tho I'm told they can take a week or two to fully take effect.

We'll see, I'll be back with updates.

IDK about this drug but Ive tried almost 10 different AD's and I have found Wellbutrin XL to be far superior to the typical SSRI or SNRI class of drugs

Update on the dolusepin.

Saw the doc on thursday, one week after starting my course of treatment on it...one 25mg capsule to be taken at night. Told her the truth...no side effects at all, except it wasn't really helping me to sleep (it has sedative effects)

No problem she said...25mg is a very small amount, scripted at the beginning of the treatment in case the patient has a negative/dangerous reaction to it.

I haven't, so she scripted more....75mg or even 100mg taken at night. Its working really well, sleeping like a baby all night...just as effective as the Z drugs with none of the side-effects associated with them.

And according to the doc, its not addictive!