• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

waking up at 3 for bathroom or water

captainballs

Bluelighter
This problem has two sides: at almost exactly 3:00 am I wake up having to pee really bad, or i wake up because my throat is completely dry. It seems i can't get the water right. I get up at 6:30 and I go to bed at 10:30 so this problem is causing me to lose really valuable sleep. Any advice on how to control this would be appreciated.

I have the same problem, but I just get up and take a piss, drink some water and I'm out like 10 minutes sleep so it doesnt bother me. I hope this post is helpfull.

Maybe you just need to schedule more time for sleep.

Last edited:
Seems like the only ones who read this post are in the same boat: I have the exact same schedule as you it seems (except I wake at 6:23am). It's impossible to get right, I swear. We shall ALL await the answer/s ! ;)

They will probably be something like: keep a glass of water by the bed (I do). Take something to knock you out ( I do). etc.

I don't drink anything within an hour or two of going to bed because I always wake up in the middle of the night. If I do get so thirsty I can't sleep, I limit myself to half a glass of water (about 6oz)--Otherwise I get woken up having to go within a few hours. Try drinking less before bed, make sure you go before bed, and see how you sleep. If you're waking up from your throat being dry, this won't solve your problem. But more than likely you're waking up because you gotta pee and then you notice you're thirsty.

I tend to get up to use the bathroom or take a sip of water nightly. I keep water next to my bed at all times, which is very helpful. If I have to pee, I go take care of it and then pass right back out...maybe this is just how some people's bladders work?

if all else fails try this....

Before going to bed state your intentions to your body, say something like....

"Dear Body of mine, i love you but your ruining my sleep...give me a wonderful nights sleep and i promise to nurture you during the day"

keep your promise and most importantly...love your body, its your temple. It's trying to get your attention...so be aware to what it wants to tell you. You own your body, it doesn't own you...

So start telling it what you want and leave the rest up to the body.

it probably just wants you to stop holding emotions in it ...so it acts up, or your putting something in it that it doesn't like and at night...while its cleansing itself....you get really thirsty or pee a lot...

anyways...only you know your body, no one else does...so ask it questions and then be still and quiet... to hear it's answers

Hope that eases the mind a little

Peace be with you

good practice for you as you will probably be in your sixties before you go for the dirt nap .

there is hardly a geezer that doesn't go for a piss or two nightly . we have our prostates and all to thank for that . -- not me, that lot went last year to cancer

would it be unreasonable to suggest to my gf that the advice in this thread led me to rightfully assume that a prostate massage was the only answer?

then it is agreed: heavy medication, a glass of water, and a rubber phallus to pound that prostate into a disciplined and upright form.

maybe a couple hours before i give the old lady a broken mop handle and instructions..

drastic measures that cap ! a fellow's prostate gets a fine workout without shoving anything into his carcass . YOU do the shoving and the old lady does the groaning .

don't be drinking the few beers or what have you when you will have your head down in just a few hours . piss boners are a waste of a good thing all late in the night .

I had this issue before and I'd just keep water beside my bed so I could just take a quick drink and then get back to bed.

I'd avoid drinking lots of water or other fluids an hour or two before bed.

I'm not into internal prostate massages but having a release or 3 before bed helps as does cleaning everything out by going to the bathroom afterward.

WhatIamAnotherYou wrote can work too by telling yourself that you're going to get some sleep and rest and fall asleep and stay asleep. Getting on a regular sleep cycle helps and so does doing some exercise during the day and some meditation before bed.

IME drinking booze before bed unless you drink so much that you pass out, just makes me even more prone to waking up later in the night after the booze has worn off or else I just won't even fall asleep at all.

Don't eat meals that are salty or foods that are going to make you thirsty especially for dinner. Drink most of your water throughout the day. I am the same sometimes and once I am up at 3 I cannot take my medication to sleep so just have to stay up - have insomnia. So I try not to eat salty foods drink 1-2 litres of water djring the day and maybe a glass max after dinner

Last edited:
Just take some zma (zinc, magnesium+b6) half an hour before sleep. That should keep you sleeping right through. Works for me.

then it is agreed: heavy medication, a glass of water, and a rubber phallus to pound that prostate into a disciplined and upright form.

Ahahaha. . .Captain Balls'd!

getting up at night to take a piss is completely normal. If you don't do this, you are probably dehydrated.

It is normal to get up at night to pee. I don't think it's normal to get up feeling thirsty, that seems like a sign of dehydration.

Do you turn on the lights or anything when you wake up at night? It seems to me that the problem is not so much that you pee in the middle of the night but that you don't fall back asleep right away after doing so.

If your eyes have to adjust too much to the light it will be harder to fall back asleep, get a dim "night light" for your bathroom if you have this problem, as falling back asleep is much easier if your eyes stay adjusted for the dark.

Buy earplugs if you find that noise is keeping you from falling back asleep.

Don't drink caffeine or do any drugs that have an ampy effect six hours before going to bed. Also don't eat too heavy of a meal in the evening.

If you don't have amps, your eyes are adjusted to the dark, your stomach isn't processing too much and your room is dark and isn't too noisy, your bathroom trip should not cause you to have trouble falling back asleep within a couple of minutes of returning to bed.