The Deep thread

MDMAhead

Bluelighter
I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while, but am now finally getting round to it! As some of you in EMD may have noticed, I tend to like my music deep, whether it's deep house, deep techno, deep tech-house, progressive house, ambient, electro, intelligent drum n bass or whatever.

What do I mean by 'deep', I hear you (probably not) ask? - well, I certainly don't mean big, in-yer-face, buzzsaw synths. Nor do I mean relentlessly hard beats. Nor do I mean some annoying rapper going on about how much money he's got. Nor do I mean those wobwobwob oscillating dubstep basslines.

By 'deep', I mean subtle production - no sudden changes - music that evolves slowly, layer by layer. I mean other-worldly synths, drenched in delay and other effects. I mean warm pad sounds. I mean lush chords. I mean music that is almost solely electronic - vocals generally (but not always) make a track less deep. If the drum sounds are electronic too, so much the better! Off the top of my head, the only 'real' instrument that sounds deep is the saxophone - I think it's the long attack and release times that make it sound deep.

I guess a lot of people probably think of 'deep' as just a byword for 'boring', but for me, deep electronic music is lush, warm, emotional, and just takes me away. From Kraftwerk to Underworld, Funk D'Void to Laurent Garnier, Derrick May to Vince Watson, LTJ Bukem to Plastikman, where are all my deep peeps at???

Give us your favourite deep tracks. I'll start the ball rolling with:

Underworld - Pearls Girl

Kraftwerk - Planet Of Visions (live)

Funk D'Void - Nineteen Ninety Two

Carl Craig - Twilight

LTJ Bukem - Horizons

Vince Watson - Rendezvous

D5 - Floatation Tank

808 State - Pacific 98

Jaydee - Plastic Dreams

Alex Smoke - Never Want To See You Again

:)

Last edited:
hell yea, feelin these threads poppin up lately ;d especially since i've been in house mode last couple weeks, gravitating towards the deep stuff.

okay so first off... Cottam ( http://www.discogs.com/artist/Cottam ) Cottam 3 - Side A

ok wow something awesome just happened. while i was listening to the above cottam track i got up to goto the bathroom and as im walkin back i hear this deep groove coming from my speakers, im like WTF IS THIS ?!?! turns out i clicked the youtube playlist so automatically after the cottman track it went straight to Gorge - Ayomide (Kenquo Remix) and im f'n lovein it.

uno mas before bed... here is a perfect track to end your night to from the dial 2010 comp ( http://www.discogs.com/Various-2010/release/2201656 ) John Roberts - Lines

...till tomorrow folks! btw, loved reading your spot-on definition of deep mdmahead, and nice track as always mars!

Thanks for the replies Mars and Joe! - I've just been listening to the tracks you've both posted and thoroughly enjoyed them!!!

I have to say my favourite track posted so far is Underground Resistance - Eye Of The Storm. I fail to see how anyone could listen to that track and not feel uplifted. Absolutely exquisite!!!

Last edited:
My favorite posted would have to be Rendezvous by Vince Watson. That track is so unbelievably good. Just something about that track that brings me joy.

My favorite posted would have to be Rendezvous by Vince Watson. That track is so unbelievably good. Just something about that track that brings me joy.

Rendezvous is absolutely sublime!!! - the way he incorporates real instruments along with the synths - just puts you in a good mood. Infact, if you look up the word 'lush' in a dictionary, I'm pretty sure it's defined as 'Vince Watson - Rendezvous' :)

loving the tunes!

awesome thread. sadly i cant really contribute because i dont know that many tracks from this genre, but i love this kinda stuff. currently listening to the Vince Watson - Rendezvous track, i like this a lot

Some seriously deep house grooves there! I especially liked the A side - all my favourite clubs play that kindof stuff early in the night - it's got a sexyness to it but still has enough drive for the dancefloor %)

ColtDan said:
loving the tunes!

awesome thread. sadly i cant really contribute because i dont know that many tracks from this genre, but i love this kinda stuff. currently listening to the Vince Watson - Rendezvous track, i like this a lot

If you discover anything you think would fit this thread, feel free to post it! Rendezvous is amazing - I remember talking to StarOceanHouse a few months ago about it, and he asked me if I could recommend anything else like it. But to be honest, I don't know of any other tunes than sound quite as organic (with those lush real instruments).........although maybe Laurent Garnier - The Man With The Red Face :)

bfc1988 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6E6sSblQOs Booka Shade - Nightfalls

Fucking love this tune.

Great track! - reminds me of my time in Melbourne, although I bought their album ('Movements') while I was over there and was actually a bit disappointed with it :( But Booka Shade are most definitely welcome in this thread!

Here's another deep electrohouse track: Hans Peter Lindstrom - I Feel Space

Last edited:
By the way JoeTheStoner - we're relying on you to bring the deep dnb/jungle to the thread!!! - here's a superb tune you posted a while back in the 'rate the song above you' thread - Commix - Painted Smile - that Reese bassline gets me every time!!!!

Last edited:

That was awesome!!! - sounded like a cross between Aphex Twin and Burial - I love the way that synth just builds and builds and builds - really deep and haunting.

Another producer that needs mentioning is Laurent Garnier:

Laurent Garnier - Flashback (Laboratoire mix) (the synth pads in this track blow my mind!!! - so soft and gentle <3 )

Laurent Garnier - Communications From The Lab (I've always thought this would be ideal for a film soundtrack)

Laurent Garnier - Acid Eiffel (one of the deepest acid techno tracks you'll ever hear!)

Last edited:
By the way JoeTheStoner - we're relying on you to bring the deep dnb/jungle to the thread!!! - here's a superb tune you posted a while back in the 'rate the song above you' thread - Commix - Painted Smile - that Reese bassline gets me every time!!!!
hehe hell yea dude. the bassline in painted smile always gives me the chills. i was trippin once n' listening to it and when those keys come in then fade out with the delay effect oh my it was like the notes were falling into my brain. dnb arena was giving that track away for free when it came out too, what a gift!

haven't been following dnb as much as i once did but i think maybe the latest dbridge would fall into the deep category. he is making these minimal dnb style tracks lately, tho this one is cool i think it could benefit from some variation.

dBridge - Love Hotel
Laurent Garnier - Acid Eiffel (one of the deepest acid techno tracks you'll ever hear!)
sweet mother mary joseph of jesus this is giving me an eargasm.

i like Adam K & Soha and some deadmau5, i guess thats prog house and not "deep" house... although i find it to be pretty deep.