Anyone into classical music?

BIGsherm7272

Bluelighter
Was just listening to Symphony No. 3 (Finale) by Gustav Mahler, and I have to say I can only imagine the sheer beauty this particular movement would have while on a psychedelic. It is such a powerful, moving piece of music.

i mainly like it in these circumstances
LSD + figure skating + disco lights

I love listening to classical music while on MDMA/mephedrone/methylone, especially the nutcracker soundtrack. To me, the nutcracker is the greatest piece of music ever written. I also enjoy the standards like Bach, but "lite" classical is alot better listening for drugs IMO.

just learned beethoven's 'moonlight sonata' on my classical guitar. definately my favorite song of all time.

Not as much listening to it, although I do rarely. I do miss playing it when I was in orchestra though.

yes, i mostly listen to classical music when i am driving. when i am home, i tend to listen to other genres.

I know it's an old thread, but it's the only suitable one I could find, and figured a bump was better than a new thread.

So ... anyone into classical music in a big way?

I ... well ... I am. It's my bread and butter really. I'd love to have a few bluelighters to throw ideas and pieces off.

My main expertise lies in sacred choral music (was a chorister, then choral scholar for about 12 years), but I also love a lot of music from the romantic period.

Mahler, Brahms, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Debussy, and even some Beethoven is ok.

My favourite works have to be the Rach Vespers, Brahms Requiem, Mahler 5 (1st and 4th mvt), Daphnis et Chloe by Ravel, La Mer by Debussy ...

Oh there's so much great classical music out there. Music to fit any mood.

I think that's why I love classical music so much. Listening to a Mahler symphony whilst on a psychedelic through my HD650's and Little Dot Valve amp, I can be just as blown away as I am when I'm rushing my tits off at a liquid night and High Contrast has just dropped a new track.

In fact, the classical music often takes me higher.

Yeah, I fucking love it. Don't get me wrong, lots of it is shit, and it took me absolutely AGES to get into opera (and Wagner in particular), but it was most definitely a journey worth taking.

I like Rachmaninov and some beethoven things like his 5th (the emperor). cant get my head round opera though....and dont want to either.

I like Rachmaninov and some beethoven things like his 5th (the emperor). cant get my head round opera though....and dont want to either.

Really? See, I was the same with opera, until a friend whose opinion on musical things I very much trust introduced me to some of the best bits of Wagners opera Tristan und Isolde.

If you want to/can bear to, listen to this from 6 minutes till the end. It's about as juicy as Wagner gets, and if it really does nothing but repulse you, then perhaps Wagnerian opera is not for you ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNJNi8jacA

^ Piano concerto #2 :)

2 is good. 3 is better ;) (Of course that's completely subjective opinion) :p

Certainly though if you've never heard it, go listen to this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoG8a6WRACQ ... it's Vladimir Horowitz playing Rach 3. Rachmaninov basically said it was how he dreamt it to be played, but he never imagined he'd hear it that way on earth (or words to that effect).

Rumour has it that Rachmaninov secretly went to a performance Horowitz was doing of No 3, and without any of the audience, or the performer knowing, got up at the end, walked on stage, and said "I will never play this piece again, because it will never sound as good as it just did". Imagine that, what a compliment, from the composer himself.

Bach (although it's more baroque than classical). I love the Glenn Gould's performances, especially this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-KyL2gMxV8

Can't fault Gould when it comes to Bach. Not a huge fan of Bach myself, I find it almost a little too perfect - a bit like Mozart.

Also, I think the term "classical" was used in its broader sense to represent pretty much all music from the 1920's and before (and of course certain music since, film scores, christmas carols, etc. etc.)

Bach is also a frustrating fucker when it comes to harmonizing Bach chorals, because he sets out all these fundamental rules, and then breaks them ALL the fucking time. Gah.

Glad to see there's some love for classical music though. Kudos to you all.

hmm,
most any russian quartet, or their orthodox church music...
celtic stuff.
elizabethan.

shostakovich, prokofiev,
chopin, bach
kronos, cage,
steven reich.

I play violin for 4 years.

So yes.

Really?. D'ya have any tips for someone who wants to learn the viola?. I've been playing guitar for like 15 years now, and I'd really like to develop an almost viola style on the guitar, so I'm keen to see whether I can pick it up or not.

In any case, I kinda found myself getting into classical music last year. My friend bought me a shower radio, and I just couldn't relax with every damn annoying song which came on. I had to keep getting up and switching it. Until finally I hit upon this classical station. I figured it wouldn't be as annoying as I didn't know any of the songs. And you know, I ended up really beginning to appreciate a lot of it. I particularly like Chopin, and Beethoven. Never thought I'd be saying that.

the viola is tuned like a bass guitar, upside down.
G, D, A, E?

the progression fretting is; using G,
g a b c d(key of next string) e f a
d e f g a
a....
e....
its like, on a guitar, first fret, third, fourth (tune next with), the flat and sharp ranges, you vibrato in and out of.

the bow, buy a decent instrument, but better bow and strings.
id start with d'adorra "Helio core", get ready to study the strings and bows. different strings produce a different sound, and warmth/coldness, that is to compliment your instruments construction & sound, and your style.
tunning takes a while, dont be too nervous with those expensive strings ;) watch a pro do it, or get a feel for it, then find a suitable instructor.
depending on where you live,,, my experience was zero viola players...!
i found a celtic fiddle instructor, he said call him back, the tunning and sound is very different, the names will make sense once you hit a fat G D chord;)
ive had both, and stuck with the voila.

using just enough resin, a decent climate, drop tunning when putting away, and a mute are good ideas.

ive played guitar, acoustic a long time, and have thick calluses, but holy shit... once you fly through a few hours, its easy to make your fingers bleed or not want to play for a couple of days.
having a lintless cloth to rub her and the strings down before and after, is rewarding..! they actually need to warm up also, youll notice.
heheh

Last edited: