The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Mephedrone Legal Status (Canada)

qnibb

Bluelighter
I'm not an expert in law so I'm having a difficult time trying to find a reputable source that clearly states Mephedrone is not illegal to buy/possess. Can anybody confirm and maybe cite some legal jargon that there's nothing illegal about buying/holding Mephedrone in Canada? I think a thread like this should be made sticky and constantly updated with any changes in law, that way nobody gets burned thinking its legal.

Every site Google brings up states that mephedrone is legal in Canada. Couldn't find anything official to state that it definitely is legal, but the fact that there's nothing to suggest that it isn't legal and loads of sources that state that it is suggests to me that you shouldn't have any concern buying or possessing it there.

*snip*

You've been here plenty long enough to know sourcing is not allowed :\

Last edited by a moderator:
Every site Google brings up states that mephedrone is legal in Canada. Couldn't find anything official to state that it definitely is legal, but the fact that there's nothing to suggest that it isn't legal and loads of sources that state that it is suggests to me that you shouldn't have any concern buying or possessing it there.

What confuses me is that there are a few sources such as Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephedrone) that claim Mephedrone is illegal in the US under the "anologue law". In Canada we have a Controlled Drugs and Substances Act as well, and I believe there is also some type of "anologue law" covered in the act. So I don't know, I almost feel like contacting a lawyer to get a professional opinion. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

For the record, I don't possess any amount of this substance.

I believe it could be prosecuted if the authorities wish to pursue it. ie, it can be seen as technically illegal, although since its not very well known, I doubt real prosecutions will occur.

Law:

The Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (of Canada) classifies methamphetamine and its "its salts, derivatives, isomers and analogues and salts of derivatives, isomers and analogues" as a controlled substances under Schedule I, s. 18.

s. 2(1) of the Act defines "analogue" as "a substance that, in relation to a controlled substance, has a substantially similar chemical structure."

If you went on wiki and looked at their chemical structure, you'll see they have the same basic structure, both are of the phenethylamine family.

So, if you are caught, and the crown decides to press charges, I don't think you could win.

"I didn't know" or "I checked and didn't think it was illegal" aren't good excuses, especially since you intended to ingest/snort it.

You can check with your local crown attorney, or get a lawyer to draft an opinion, but that won't be a foolproof defense even if they say its not illegal. See Molis v The Queen (1980).

its unsheduled in canada. at least im 90% sure. ans i know for a fact most all sites sell to canada. not too many ship to the usa though.

So does anyone know where we can get it in Canada???

I live in Ontario and just heard about this drug. Would be interested in trying it :)

I hope this does not come across as sourcing but in case it does, please IM me

So does anyone know where we can get it in Canada???

I live in Ontario and just heard about this drug. Would be interested in trying it :)

I hope this does not come across as sourcing but in case it does, please IM me

Huh? That's a blatant request for sourcing, not allowed here. That nasty shit is so easy to find sources of, if you can't find them yourself, you're too stupid to be using exotic drugs.

Sorry but I'm gonna have to agree with TheAzo, that was some pretty obvious attempt at sourcing and it's not even something that's hard to find. You can order it online very, very easily.

and that's all I needed to hear... Not some high on himself douchebag who feels he has to demean a noob poster just for asking a question. and like my original post said. If it comes across as sourcing then please IM me.

So Azo, I know tons of shit about Audis and how they work. I'd NEVER talk down like that to you if you came to my forum asking questions. Not only is it rude to act that way but it also shows poor form.

All that to say thak you THEMYSTICONE. Much appreciated.

I had a few buddies who were in possession of a few grams of drone when a cruiser pulled up beside them, police officers asked what they were doing, what the substance etc. All they did was make them dump it out and scatter it and they were free to go.

Mephedrone is Schedule III in Canada.

I'm not an expert in law so I'm having a difficult time trying to find a reputable source that clearly states Mephedrone is not illegal to buy/possess. Can anybody confirm and maybe cite some legal jargon that there's nothing illegal about buying/holding Mephedrone in Canada? I think a thread like this should be made sticky and constantly updated with any changes in law, that way nobody gets burned thinking its legal.

I think we're going to pass on making this thread a sticky. In the United States, we have what's called a federal analogue act. This means, if you possess a drug that's ready to be consumed (in an IV solution, in a parachute/bomb, in line form on a mirror with razors, cards, and straws) - then it's illegal. Kind of how like you can buy RC's online but you can't redistribute what you bought as a drug to take, obviously people will do this anyways, but it is technically illegal.

4-Methylmethcathinone is unscheduled in the United States. It is possible that it could be considered an analog of a scheduled substance, in which case, sales for human consumption or possession with the intent to ingest could be prosecuted under the Federal Analogue Act though we are unaware of any such existing cases (Mar 03 2008. The Federal Analog Act, 21 U.S.C. § 813, is a controversial section of the United States Controlled Substances Act, allowing any chemical "substantially similar" to an illegal drug (in Schedule I or II) to be treated as if it were also in Schedule I, but only if it is intended for human consumption. The banned substances are often called designer drugs.

Read this link: http://hubpages.com/hub/Mephedrone

Mephedrone is Schedule III in Canada.

This is simply not true. Has never been scheduled. Have you read the CDSA? I know the CBC is full of crap and said that but that does not mean it is true. Only the analogues of amphetamines and cannab. are illegal in Canada.

This is simply not true. Has never been scheduled. Have you read the CDSA? I know the CBC is full of crap and said that but that does not mean it is true. Only the analogues of amphetamines and cannab. are illegal in Canada.

What about methcathinone? I guess meph would under law be interpreted as an anologue of methcathinone (technically bk-methcathinone if I've read correctly).

Mephedrone = 4-methylmethcathinone. I'm no expert on Canadian analogue laws but that sounds very much like an analogue of methcathinone to me...

Mephedrone = 4-methylmethcathinone. I'm no expert on Canadian analogue laws but that sounds very much like an analogue of methcathinone to me...

Yeah, you would think someone could give a definitive answer. I know not all laws are black and white, but with the popularity of the substance you would think a concrete answer would be easily attainable. The closest thing I've found to a real answer is this article which states that Mephedrone falls under Schedule III of the CDSA: http://linkbee.com/FJ2FK

However, they lose all credibility when they claim that it's not illegal in the United States.

BTW, here's a link to the CDSA (Controlled Drugs and Substances Act) incase anybody is wondering: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-38.8/

Yes it is . But the law only restricts analogues of amphetamine not bk cathinones. In fact Canadian online suppliers have every shipment checked by Health Canada and they all have been good to go. It is useless to create a myth when something is perfectly legal for research purposes only.

Yeah, you would think someone could give a definitive answer. I know not all laws are black and white, but with the popularity of the substance you would think a concrete answer would be easily attainable. The closest thing I've found to a real answer is this article which states that Mephedrone falls under Schedule III of the CDSA: http://linkbee.com/FJ2FK

However, they lose all credibility when they claim that it's not illegal in the United States.

BTW, here's a link to the CDSA (Controlled Drugs and Substances Act) incase anybody is wondering: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-38.8/

yes CBC DOES NOT KNOW what they are talking about at all. Please quote me ONE charges that have been laid in Canada for posession or even traficking of mephedrone. NONE. EVER. And again do you think if it was anywhere illegal online vendors would sell them with their names address phone number included? I am talking real RC sellers not scam artists.