• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Mephedrone Legal Status (Canada)

Methcathinone is Schedule 3 but it is not listed in the first section that states the chemicals that are subject to amphetamine analogue scrutiny. Methamphetamine is also subject to such analogue scrutiny. Why would the government list methcathinone as a Schedule 3 drug, separate from both of these related chemicals? It obviously doesn't (in law) consider the beta-ketone of methamphetamine to be an analogue of methamphetamine (a Schedule 1 drug), thus they couldn't possible argue the para-methyl + beta-ketone of methamphetamine is an analogue of methamphetamine. Since methcathinone is NOT subject to analogue scrutiny, 4-methylmethcathinone is LEGAL IN CANADA. Health Canada/CBC were trying to pull a quick one, an pass laws for the government.

Health Canada statement on Mephedrone and Flephedrone

I asked Health Canada about the legal status of Mephedrone and Flephedrone by e-mail. This is their response of 6 Apr 2010:

"According to the current information available at the Office of Controlled Substances, mephedrone is considered CONTROLLED under Item 1 of Schedule III to the CDSA, under the item heading "Amphetamines, their salts, derivatives, isomers and analogues and salts of derivatives, isomers and analogues including:" as an analogue of amphetamine and more specifically, 4-methylmethamphetamine.

"Similarly, the isomers of fluoromethcathinone are also CONTROLLED under Item 1 of Schedule III to the CDSA."

I'm not going to weigh in on the soundness of this reasoning except to point out, as others have previously, that the placement of cathinone and methcathinone (and, indeed methamphetamine, now Schedule I), outside the section III.1 dealing with "Amphetamines" muddies the situation.

I would be surprised if charges were laid for possession or sale of mephedrone and friends based on the CDSA as it now stands. I'm unaware of any case where the "analogue" provision has actually been used, ever. If anyone knows of one, please share it.

If Health Canada decides to take the cathinones seriously, they will amend the schedules and explicitly name them, something they can do without advance notice by the stoke of a pen, even if parliament is not sitting.

Huh? That's a blatant request for sourcing, not allowed here. That nasty shit is so easy to find sources of, if you can't find them yourself, you're too stupid to be using exotic drugs.

Very rude. Yeah he was asking for a source and yeah it's against the rules, but he's new here. Plus he was asking for a source for a legal drug, which I realize is still against the rules, but come on, he didn't do anything that bad or stupid.

As for finding a source online, it's not rocket science but it's also not a walk in the park. It took me a good 20 minutes to find a site selling it that didn't seem to be totally shady. Give the guy a break.

There is one colleague of a Canadian vendor that has been charged with trafficking mephedrone. This is the subject of the "Canada's First Bust" link posted above, but charges have not gone through and they will most likely be dropped. Most of the charges make absolutely no sense at all, were completely unlawful, and it was more of an attempt to prevent the colleague from continuing to work by forbidding him to use a cell phone and placing him in the custody of his parents until his verdict.

The whole case is ridiculous. Along with mephedrone, they charged him with trafficking AMT which is not controlled or even grey area as there is no tryptamine analog clause. Instead of charging him with 4-methylmethcathinone they charged him with the sale of methcathinone. How cops were able to charge him with the intent to traffick methcathinone when tests showed that it was 4-methylmethcathinone shows how unlawful these charges are. And how Canadian police were even able to press charges for the sale of alpha-methyltryptamine when it is not specifically scheduled and does not fall under any possible analog clause is even more ridiculously unlawful.

Canada does not have a catch-all analog act like the USA or phenethylamine, tryptamine and cathinone analog clauses like the UK. We do have a PCP analog clause and an amphetamine analog clause. Schedule 3 of the CDSA lists amphetamines and indicates the salts, isomers and esthers of amphetamine analogs as illegal. The section under the amphetamines list is basic amphetamine itself followed by the substituted amphetamines that are specifically scheduled. Interestingly enough there is no mention of cathinone under the amphetamine list and after the amphetamine list, in section 19, cathinone is listed separately from the amphetamines. There is no mention of analogs of cathinone being illegal like there is under amphetamines. So based on the layout of the CDSA, Canadian law does not recognize cathinone as an amphetamine as it is listed under a different section on its own rather than in the amphetamine section. This ambiguity means that 4-methylmethcathinone could be considered illegal as an amphetamine analog, or considered legal as cathinone is not listed under the amphetamine list and there is no mention of cathinone analogs being illegal. Because of the ambiguity one could argue that the law is unconstitutional, so in general most people agree that 4-methylmethcathinone is not illegal and prosecuting someone for mephedrone would be unsuccessful as it would be unconstitutional. The Canadian government may claim that it is illegal, but the chances of being succesfully charged is very low based on the unconstitutional ambiguity of the law. If the Canadian government considers cathinone to be too distinct to be considered a substituted-amphetamine and listed with the amphetamines, how could 4-methylmethcathinone be considered an amphetamine analog if it has more substitutions and is less related to amphetamine compared to cathinone? This could be argued rather easily.

The interesting thing about Canada's definition of an analog is it too is extremely vague to the point of not making sense. As I mentioned Canada also has a PCP analog clause. Ketamine was added under PCP as an illegal analog of PCP. Ketamine is not a structural analog of PCP, yet it was scheduled as a PCP analog. This means there really is no recognizable definition of the Canadian scheduling system's definition of an analog. DXM could be considered as much of an analog of PCP as ketamine is, although it is not as closely related, but the definition of an analog seems to indicate the type of high it produces based on the inclusion of ketamine as a PCP analog. Yet DXM is openly sold. Also ephedra extracts are openly sold, yet ephedra extracts contain amphetamines. So there are chemicals that are considred illegal based on the amphetamine and PCP analog clauses that are openly sold in Canada. Based on the broad definition of an analog all of the 2C's could be considred illegal amphetamine analogs as well. This is because most of the main DOx chemicals are specifically scheduled under the amphetamine list such as DOM, DOB, DOC and DOET, but not DOI. So the analogs of the amphetamines DOM, DOB, DOC and DOET are considered illegal. Does the amphetamine analog clause only include analogs that have an amphetamine skeleton in their structure? I think Health Canada has suggested that it must contain amphetamine within the structure to be considered an analog of amphetamine, but if not then 2C-D, 2C-C and 2C-E could be considred illegal analogs of their amphetamine counterparts DOM, DOC and DOET. Although DOI is not specifically listed, 2C-I could still be considred an analog of DOC even though it is not quite as closely related to DOC as 2C-C is.

Based on suggestions by Health Canada it seems that an amphetamine analog must contain the amphetamine skeleton within the structure therefore the 2C's are exempt (except 2C-B which is illegal under UN law), but 6-APB, an analog of the MDA amphetamine is considred illegal and 4-FA is considered illegal. Based on the structure of the CDSA, cathinones are not considered amphetamines so mephedrone, methylone, butylone, MDPV, naphyrone and other substitued-cathinones are exempt.

Of course depending on how the scheduling system is interpreted the 2C's as well the cathinones could be considered illegal, but there has been no precedent to show this. Customs have confiscated many phenethylamines, cathinones and tryptamines without giving any indication as to why and without pressing charges, so there have not been any charges for importing cathinones or phenethylamines, although customs may confiscate completely unscheduled tryptamines which seems unlawful. And considering how unlawful and how disorganized the charges against the vendor colleague in the link above my post have been, it is unlikely that there will be any precedent from that outcome.

I believe there may have been one case where a person was simply fined for importing personal amounts of a 2C compound, but since customs has inspected and released large shipments of 2C's and cathinones they are generally considered legal in Canada. If anyone has more information on anyone being fined for importing a 2C or cathinone, please share.

Of course publically Health Canada may claim that certain chemicals such as mephedrone are illegal in Canada, but no charges have been successful as far as I know. Health Canada claims the synthetic cannabinoids are illegal too because under cannabis it also mentions "similar preperations". These completely vague terms and structuring of the CDSA indicates how unconstitutional it would be to actually charge someone with mephedrone, 2C-E or JWH-018 for instance, although they probably work as a deterant for some people who are reluctant to risk any possibility of being convicted.

Out of the research chemicals I can think of at the moment, I think this is complete as far as "common" research chemicals goes, the only common research chemicals that have not been cleared by customs and are clearly illegal in Canada are:

DOI and DOC
6-APB and 6-APDB
4-fluoroamphetamine
4-MeO-PCP
3-MeO-PCP
GBL

I have recently been charged with possesion for the purpose of trafikking mephedrone, under the assumption that it was mephedrone, which they also assumed was a methamphetamine. Apparently it's going to be tested and if it comes back an amphetamine the charges will stick. Now, I bought this legally in Canada and only use it for personal research purposes. I dont have enough money for a lawyer so I might be stuck relying on either learned friend or (dread) legal aid. The police obtained a search warrant under the pretenses that they were looking for methamphetamine. Any suggestions on what I should do or what I should expect to happen? I dont want to get to into the exact details due to the fact that I dont have a lawyer. I havent made a single statement and am awaiting my first court date in early February.

this was quoted from the post above yours
Based on suggestions by Health Canada it seems that an amphetamine analog must contain the amphetamine skeleton within the structure therefore the 2C's are exempt (except 2C-B which is illegal under UN law), but 6-APB, an analog of the MDA amphetamine is considred illegal and 4-FA is considered illegal. Based on the structure of the CDSA, cathinones are not considered amphetamines so mephedrone, methylone, butylone, MDPV, naphyrone and other substitued-cathinones are exempt.

hope that helps.
good luck

ongoing charges

I had already researched mephedrone ( and other rc's I was ordering) and was purposely keeping my supply only to those chems that seemed to still be legal here in Canada. I live in a pretty podunk area and the police (and likely Crown) and probably very uneducated and misinformed. If it makes you awake it must be cocaine or speed seems to be the logic. Scientifically, this just isnt true. This isnt my first brush with the law for "substance issues", and it also isnt the first time my constitutional rights were blatantly violated. The terrible thing is, a fair amount of marijuana was found at the residence as well. Not I'm not saying it's mine, but I do smoke lots of pot. I will probably go to jail for all this in the end, but I really dont feel it`s fair to be persecuted for things that are not spelled out as being "illegal". If I'm doing something wrong, THAT I KNOW IS WRONG, and still choose to do it, then I am completely at the will of the universe as to what may happen to me, and I understand that will may be a negative consequence. If I do something I know is wrong, still do it, and get in trouble, oh well, it happens and at least I should somewhat expect it, but if I expect I'm not doing anything wrong and suddenly I'm arrested and my house is searched looking for that which was not illegal in the first place, I dont expect to be facing years in prison. I would appreciate any and ALL info and help in the meantime. I will keep everyone as informed as possible to my circumstances and they change. Thanks for allow the rambling spoutfest!

There's the possibility that some of the substance could have also been BZP. As far as I know this is legal in Canada as well. Am I right? What about Kratom? I had that as well. I guess I'm a pretty curious guy. And curiosity may end up killing this cat.

I have recently been charged with possesion for the purpose of trafikking mephedrone, under the assumption that it was mephedrone, which they also assumed was a methamphetamine. Apparently it's going to be tested and if it comes back an amphetamine the charges will stick. Now, I bought this legally in Canada and only use it for personal research purposes. I dont have enough money for a lawyer so I might be stuck relying on either learned friend or (dread) legal aid. The police obtained a search warrant under the pretenses that they were looking for methamphetamine. Any suggestions on what I should do or what I should expect to happen? I dont want to get to into the exact details due to the fact that I dont have a lawyer. I havent made a single statement and am awaiting my first court date in early February.

dude dont be an idiot, go and get yourself a paid lawyer..if you got money for these drugs to "research" im sure you can scrape up some cash for a lawyer..theres a reasin wy we call public defenders, public pretenders..they could care less about you...more then likely that have 10 cases to deal with each day. being as busyas they are they dont have the time to truely fight for you, they dont have the time to look up cases, they might not even ask for a discovery..

with a paid lawyer hes your employee, he works for you..the way he makes his money is by word of mouth from satisfied clients that he won a case for... he doesnt have to deal with 10 differnt scumbag clients everyday all of his time and energy is put towards your case

i dont know what the laws are in canada but i would think any type of trafficking charge is a felony and there for at least a 1000bucks for a lawyer..ask your friends if they know a lawyer or ask your family, im sure someone knows one and hopefully you can find a cool lawyer that will take payments and you can work it off that way...seriously though get your self a lawyer, dont put your fate in the hands of a PD

i know this is long but man ive been hit with some heavy charges recently that have intent tide to the end of it and because i have a great lawyer we beat the first case and we just filed our motion on friday, and my lawyer is confident that the judge will grant this motion, meaning if it happens they case will get dropped..my lawyer was the top assistant states attorney for almost 18 years and ran to become judge, he lost the judge campaign on someshit i guess so he told told everyone to kiss his ass and choose to retire with 100k+/year pension and started his own defense firm and now is one of the top defense lawyers around..

so do yourself a favor and get a lawyer

As for finding a source online, it's not rocket science but it's also not a walk in the park. It took me a good 20 minutes to find a site selling it that didn't seem to be totally shady. Give the guy a break.
oh no! not a whole 20 minutes! but seriously, 20 minutes is actually nothing. come on, thats barely an episode of family guy and you found a website thats willing to sell you drugs and have them shipped to your house.

as for the scheduled-ness of mephedrone i see
>Cathinone ((–)–α–aminopropiophenone) and any salt thereof
that states its salts are illegal, not analogues. and if cathinone is considered different enough from amphetamine to be included in its own category then its probably not considered an analogue of such.