• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin Bioavailability Intranasal vs Smoked

monstanoodle

Bluelight Crew
I checked the BA mega thread and got an estimated number of 50-70% & ~47-52%, respectively, from good ol' Mr. enoughorangejuice.
But has anyone got a more certain number for both of these methods of administration?

Last edited:
I know smoked has the bigger rush, but a weaker high. However i think snorting is the medium of all ROA, and if you had too choose i would pick snorting, maby leaving enough for one hit to get a small rush.

While I don't have exact numbers, your answer lies in the type of heroin you have. Smoking powder heroin is less potent than with tar, designed for smoking. Snorting black tar, while possible, is not the preferred ROA. It works best with smoking.

Of course you can smoke powder heroin and you can snort tar if you want to, but most people find the best high from following those guidelines. Both were meant to kick ass with the IV route.

Which type of heroin are we dealing with here?

While I don't have exact numbers, your answer lies in the type of heroin you have. Smoking powder heroin is less potent than with tar, designed for smoking. Snorting black tar, while possible, is not the preferred ROA. It works best with smoking.

Of course you can smoke powder heroin and you can snort tar if you want to, but most people find the best high from following those guidelines. Both were meant to kick ass with the IV route.

Which type of heroin are we dealing with here?

I disagree. Snorting tar is Way more cost effective.

Cheers for yer replies so far :)

This stuff is powder mixed with Caffeine and whatever else. So it is designed for smoking aswell as all other ROAs. This is the stuff we get in the UK, don't think we ever get Tar here...
I've been doing both smoking and snorting, but was just curious if there were any more exact numbers.
Smoking definitely does have more of a "rush" compared to snorting, but duration is obviously longer with aid of the nose.

Some people have said to freeze it then grind with a pestle and mortar.

To snort tar.
Method 1:
I prep it as I would to IV it, but then I put the liquid in a herbal tincture jar with a dropper (looks really innocent) or just a cup with a straw. Then I put a few drops in my nose with my head tilted upsidedown and press press press the liquid so it gets absorbed by my nose. I don't sniff it so it does down my throat, cuz that is like eating it.

Make a concentrated liquid and drop it in nose or fill a nasal spray bottle. It's about surface area and avoid mucous encapsulation.

Method 2:
Learned from the brothers in the ghetto.
Then chop up the tar with a razor blad and mix in baking powder (not soda). Then it turns into a light brown powder. Chop fine, make a line and sniff sniff.

I like method 1.

It all does depend on what kind of gear you get.

Most people here in Australia progress from smoking to shooting and I dont think that many people snort though I may be wrong, correct me if so. but if I had good gear id smoke over snort purely due to the rushes and snorting most drugs save meth, K, coke and oxy(for the first few weeks/months). Smoking will feel better and I dont know where the idea came from that smoking is weaker, it wont be weak if you smoke enough to get in nice nod. heroin is strong shit full stop, a weak high would be bliss to a opiate naive person, probably dont want to get too high anyway, youll just end up throwing up for hours and not feeling nice. that was me everyday of my opiate addiction for a few months, throwing up every day coz I always had to be as high as possible and I think I may have given myself a stomach ulcer. Throwing up is really bad for you believe it or not.

Id smoke, less chance of Od, better feel IMO and easier to titrate dosage to what you want to be feeling.

Good luck.

Yea yer right ketaman.
I've mostly been smoking my stuff. But if I want a stronger, longer, slower oncoming high to sort of "pile on top" of what I've smoked, then a tiny bit snorted does quite nicely :)

It's quite strange actually, I could have quite easily progressed to shooting up by now, but I've no desire to whatsoever. Which can only be a good thing.
I'm sure a lot of people have said this before, and it has been their famous last words...

I think the fact that my cash flow only limits me to 16th of an ounce (1.75 grams) every fortnight, sometimes an 8th, has stopped my tolerance progressing just enough to be able to evade the need to shoot up due to needing a stronger high or more pain relief.
I can then avoid withdrawals, again, just enough using my scripted pain meds without fiending the high of H.
Again, famous last words lol... Let's hope not.

Yea yer right ketaman.
I've mostly been smoking my stuff. But if I want a stronger, longer, slower oncoming high to sort of "pile on top" of what I've smoked, then a tiny bit snorted does quite nicely :)

It's quite strange actually, I could have quite easily progressed to shooting up by now, but I've no desire to whatsoever. Which can only be a good thing.
I'm sure a lot of people have said this before, and it has been their famous last words...

I think the fact that my cash flow only limits me to 16th of an ounce (1.75 grams) every fortnight, sometimes an 8th, has stopped my tolerance progressing just enough to be able to evade the need to shoot up due to needing a stronger high or more pain relief.
I can then avoid withdrawals, again, just enough using my scripted pain meds without fiending the high of H.
Again, famous last words lol... Let's hope not.

You can avoid WD's by doing 1.75 grams a day? LUCKY! I only do about .3 a day max and i have some bad wd's :(.

the last time i tried it, i did METHOD 1. (the first time i did it, i just strawed it up, and it didn't burn much, but i still felt it a little)

I put a 1/2 point of tar into a bottle cap, put in 1-1.5ml water, and let it sit for a couple minutes.

then, i stirred it as it dissolved, and i broke it apart and such. i took a medicine dropper to it to suck the water up and carefully drop it in my nose. This time my eyes watered, it burnt/stung so bad. [i attribute it so less ml's of water, and possibly a hooked up half-point.

needless to say, the dropper method worked better. half point fucked me up because i have no T. let's keep it that way

Last edited:
I see a lot of debate over whether or not insufflation of tar works well or not, if at all, and whether or not one should simply choose to chase or to IV. I think insufflation is an ideal ROA. IMO, the best method for insufflation is to take a given amount of tar, put it onto a plate and add a very small amount of water, just enough to dissolve what you have broken off. It helps to apply low heat until all is dissolved. Spread the liquid out over the plate thinnly, and let dry. Then, take a razor blade and scrape up the film and you are left with a perfectly fine brown salt that is ideal for the nose. Just don't let any moisture come into contact with the powder, or it will turn back to goo.

IMO, the best method for insufflation is to take a given amount of tar, put it onto a plate and add a very small amount of water, just enough to dissolve what you have broken off. It helps to apply low heat until all is dissolved. Spread the liquid out over the plate thinnly, and let dry. Then, take a razor blade and scrape up the film and you are left with a perfectly fine brown salt that is ideal for the nose.

what is less harmful for your nose, dry powder, or wet solution?

im not being sarcastic there, but i think that powder is harsher on the membranes, whilst the solution will keep it wet, and not scratch, but seep into the membranes..

what is less harmful for your nose, dry powder, or wet solution?

im not being sarcastic there, but i think that powder is harsher on the membranes, whilst the solution will keep it wet, and not scratch, but seep into the membranes..

I feel you, and you are probably right in regards to which is capable of doing more damage, though neither method will cause any serious damage like that caused by excessive use of Cocaine. But as far as me and my preference, I have simply never felt any great efficacy via the liquid-snuff method. Not to mention it is messy. I feel that when it is reduced to a salt form, not so much powdery in consistency, but rather like brown sugar, it is easier to work with as well as to dose. Also, upon contact with the nasal cavity/passages, the salt quickly converts back into a liquid/goo form, which I think is absorbed rather effectively; as well or better than when suspended in water and sniffed. But a nasal spray (saline)solution properly formulated would almost surely be the more effective (intranasal)method.

I feel you, and you are probably right in regards to which is capable of doing more damage, though neither method will cause any serious damage like that caused by excessive use of Cocaine. But as far as me and my preference, I have simply never felt any great efficacy via the liquid-snuff method. Not to mention it is messy. I feel that when it is reduced to a salt form, not so much powdery in consistency, but rather like brown sugar, it is easier to work with as well as to dose. Also, upon contact with the nasal cavity/passages, the salt quickly converts back into a liquid/goo form, which I think is absorbed rather effectively; as well or better than when suspended in water and sniffed. But a nasal spray (saline)solution properly formulated would almost surely be the more effective (intranasal)method.

lol, the cocaine comparison...

Hey guys do yall just get the dropper at a CVS? Just pour out the liquid and put in the water mixed tar solution? It doesn't matter the tar mixed with water? Like the tar won't all go to the bottom or something?

I assume you mean Chasing when you say Smoking. They are two very different ways of consuming Heroin, with very different efficiency profiles (Chasing can be decent in return compared to other non IV routes, smoking is a piss poor way to consume Heroin no matter what).

Please refer to the thread I made on Chasing/Smoking Heroin.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=436379&highlight=chasing/smoking+heroin

If Chasing is the ROA chosen, there are ways to enhance (and inhibit) the quality of the effect.

Black Tar Heroin is a poorly performed extraction of Morphine from Opium, and reflux of Morphine with Acetic Anhydride. The result is, in the end, Heroin that is moderate in quantity of Diacetylmorphine, and high in byproducts (6-Monoacetylmorphine, 3-Monoacetylmorphine, Acetylcodeine), unreacted alkaloids (Morphine, Narcotine, Thebaine, Codeine, Paperavine) and plant material leftover from the poor extraction of Opium (plant materials like tannins).

The general logic concerning chasing Black Tar Heroin is that since it has a physical consistency like Opium, and Opium is often chased, then it should be chased too.

The difference is that most if not all of the chemicals present in Black Tar Heroin are in their Hydrochloride salt form. The other non-Diacetylmorphine material in BTH may certainly have an impact on volatilization and the amount of Heroin possible to recover from inhaling the vapors of heated BTH. The two easiest things to do to make for the best result is to turn the product from a Hcl salt to a freebase, and to add Caffeine. Both easy to do, both will make the experience better, and in the end will save you money and may reduce overall Heroin intake.

The link I posted has many more details.

Good luck, be safe.

yeah, the medicine droppers are in eye care sections of stores.
just lay back on your tempur pedic, and drop no more than 10 drops in each nostril. I mean like i don't know how many mL's but put your dose in about 20 drops in a bottle cap . It still stings like up a straw does, but it get numb slightly faster, but the damage is probably still as bad