• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

reducing amphetamine neurotoxicity

Merk

Bluelighter
Hey,

Are there any pharm articles out there that have researched the efficacy of certain vitamins supplements, which have proved to be most successful in preventing amphetamine based neurotoxicity? Especially in relation to prevention of oxidative stress?

cheers. :)

deprenyl. Vitamins rarely get researched since there is little profit and no gov approval involved in harm reduction.

There are a number of good strategies for preventing amphetaminergic neurotoxicity:

(1) Use regular d-amphetamine, instead of the more neurotoxic methamphetamine and MDA/MDMA (anything with a methylenedioxy substituent is going to produce more oxidative stress).
(2) Keep your dosage reasonable--don't use massive tweak-a-thon binge doses. Also, always take your amphetamines orally as they were meant to be taken, that way you get a nice, smooth stimulation without a sudden massive jump in plasma concentration.
(3) Ensure that your core body temperature stays as low as possible--neurotoxicity is directly linked to hyperthermia, so chill out (literally). You can use a little paracetamol (a little) with a NSAID to lower a fever if it occurs.
(4) For anti-oxidant supplements, try Vitamins C, D and E, as well as resveratrol. Levo-deprenyl is also good, but keep your dose low if you are taking it with amphetamine. Ergoloids like hydergine work too.
(5) Throw in a little magnesium to lower amphetamine tolerance.

Last edited:
Riemann Zeta said:
There are a number of good strategies for preventing amphetaminergic neurotoxicity:

(1) Use regular amphetamine, instead of the more neurotoxic methamphetamine and MDA/MDMA (anything with a methylenedioxy substituent is going to produce more oxidative stress).
(2) Keep your dosage reasonable--don't use massive tweak-a-thon binge doses. Also, always take your amphetamines orally as they were meant to be taken, that way you get a nice, smooth stimulation without a sudden massive jump in plasma concentration.
(3) Ensure that your core body temperature stays as low as possible--neurotoxicity is directly linked to hyperthermia, so chill out (literally). You can use a little paracetamol (a little) with a NSAID to lower a fever if it occurs.
(4) For anti-oxidant supplements, try Vitamins C, D and E, as well as resveratrol. Levo-deprenyl is also good, but keep your dose low if you are taking it with amphetamine. Ergoloids like hydergine work too.
(5) Throw in a little magnesium to lower amphetamine tolerance.
Really good hints IMO. Thx Riemann! Except maybe for (3): Do you seriously recommend to stay calm on a Stim?! LOL :D

Well, if you can't stay calm, just try to stay cool (that is, in a cool environment) to avoid fever.

>>deprenyl. >>

In theory, yes, but it also potentates dopaminergic stims quite dangerously. I wouldn't do it.

ebola

Good tips reiman but you forgot the most important one, Alpha Lipoic Acid! The most effective antioxidant you can take. Also load up on the B complex vitamins

Acetyl-l-carnitine and selenium are reported to reduce methamphetamine neurotoxicity in animal studies. Also general purpose antioxidants like alpha-lipoic acid, vitamin C, vitamin E and l-cysteine may be useful.

i had a bit of a laugh when i saw in my email that "NeuronalPerception" had replied to this thread hehe.. nice one.

thanks for the replies.. I had most of those figured out, it's just nice to see what people think are the most imporant ones. hopefully some of those aren't too expensive. But I hear selenium is good.

N-acetyl-cysteine is a good antioxidant and a reasonable dose of selenium is also probably a good thing.

N-acetylcysteine, selenium, inosine, idebenone are all good antioxidants and probably confer some degree of protection against amphetamine neurotoxicity. However, the neurotoxicity is only profound in both serotonergic and dopaminergic amphetamines like MDA, MDMA and methamphetamine. I've had MDMA users/abusers come to me and I referred them to the above compounds and they said it smoothed out the experience a lot, however that's all anecdotal and I can't say what's going on in their brains.

Deprenyl works well in the animals studies, and it seems good for humans except for the reports of extended, toxic psychosis and overheating when combined with amphetamines (probably inadvisable).

When I do stims for work I inject 500ug b-complex (vet grade lol) every few hours. It *seems* to help.

Plus I mix it with piracetam + DMAE this allows me to use less amphetamine (less drug = less neurotoxicity).

Peace!

However, the neurotoxicity is only profound in both serotonergic and dopaminergic amphetamines like MDA, MDMA and methamphetamine.
This is true. The neurotoxicity of amphetamine derivatives is probably ordered as such: MDA > MDMA => Meth > Amp. At ridiculously high doses, regular amphetamine also becomes neurotoxic, but these doses are at lot higher than the neurotoxic threshold doses of methamphetamine and any of the MDXX derivatives. Of all the substituted amphetamines (save PMA, of course), MDA seems to be the most neurotoxic, which is a shame, because I hear good things about it all the time. Oh well, MDMA didn't do anything for me that regular dexamph. couldn't do better with fewer side effects and MDA is just a trippier MDMA, right?

SS: I also like to mix my dexamphetamine with 'racetam derivatives, vinpocetine and an ergoloid (if I have any at the time).

Out of curiosity, what is oxidative stress and how does it induce neurotoxicity?

neuwelt said:
Out of curiosity, what is oxidative stress and how does it induce neurotoxicity?

In a nutshell, oxidative stress is produced by oxygenated free radicals such as superoxides, peroxides and hydroxides that cause intracellular and extracellular damage and eventually induce cell apoptosis (death). These oxidants are produced normally by the body during its daily functioning and are usually easily dealt with. However, drugs like methamphetamine increase body temperature by serotonin efflux, which reduces the ability of a cell to cope with oxidative stress, as well as increase free radical formation by dopamine efflux. Dopamine is metabolized to its aldehyde by MAO-B resulting in the formation of ammonia and hydrogen peroxide, which can further lead to the formation of other radicals like superoxides in a pro-oxidative environment such as one with increased temperature.

This is why MAO-B inhibition protects against neurotoxicity induced by methamphetamine and the like, and why those drugs are so dangerous to the brain. It's also why antioxidants provide protection against such damage.

Ham-milton said:
yep, that's selegiline. methinks it's a bad suggestion for most people.

m8 you don't like selegiline then? If so why?

I just brought some Vitamin B6. Has anyone found this successful to reduce side efffects?