• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Bluelight 2.0.08 splash page discussion!

chrissie

Bluelight Crew
Redesign the Bluelight splash page!

Prizes

• Use of your design on Bluelight, an international site with 5000 active members and 1500 visitors a day.
  • A badge of honor (custom title)

Rules
  • Page must be the original design and creation of the entrant(s).
  • Submissions may be created alone or in teams.
  • Submissions must be designed and coded by the entrants(s).
  • Design must be no wider than 740px. Height may vary.
  • Total image file size should not exceed 200k. The smaller the better.
  • Page must work in IE 6+, Firefox 1.5+, Opera 8+, Safari on 10.3+
  • The page must be expandable. We may request you to update the page when new forums are added.
  • Working page must be hosted on a web server (not an image attached on Bluelight).
  • Enter as many times as you wish.

Required Content
  • Shortened version of the mission statement. See attached "mission statment" document for details.
  • Forum listing. These can be listed in 3 ways: minimal, slimmed down and full forum listing. See attached "forum listing" document for details.

Other content
This content is not required, but some things you might want to consider including.
  • Search box
  • News feed
  • Links: Home, Register, User CP, Forums, Gallery, Journal, About, New Posts, Search, Quick Links, Log Out, Private Messages, Mark Forums Read, Contact Us, Bluelight, Archive, Top, New posts since your last visit

Judging
Entries will be voted on by your Bluelight peers. Each design should be judged with the following criteria in mind
  • Aesthetics, color, composition
  • Usability
  • Page load time
  • Cross platform and cross browser compatibility

Entrants have until 23:59 on April 21 to post their entry. Voting will start on April 22 and run until 23:59 on April 28.

Contest rules are subject to change at any time

Attachments

• mission statement.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 176
  • forum listing.doc
    96.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Entrants have until 23:59 on April 21 to post their entry. Voting will start on April 15 and run until 23:59 on April 28.
Chrissie, I think the voting start date may be wrong?

whoops, I changed some of the dates and forgot that one. Thanks!

THE WOOD said:
bleh i gotz no web programming skillz

Submissions may be created alone or in teams.

You just need to team up with someone who has programming skills, but not design skills.

well im game if no one is submitting anything. for the experience alone. my pm box is always filled with nothing but dust and stale breezes. . .

if i have time, i'm going to try my hand at it. we'll see if i can get buzzy to help me with the code wizardry. :)

No offence but I'd like to see the thing kept how it is iof the new one will suck.
what if the winner sucks and the formatting sucks to be resized and on other browsers, linux etc.. we dont want some ugly looking flash thing or some shit made in front page

If something bad wins, we reserve the right to veto it if we think it will cause problems.

It would be a good idea to make entries at least close to w3c compliant.

^
I have yet to have a problem with CSS and IE, when done properly. I would also never encourage anyone to stay away from CSS. Quite the opposite, in fact. Also, when doing the validation, don't get stuck on "strict". It's OK to be "transitional".

"when done correctly" was my key wording, AS. I've tried pretty much every WP theme under the sun; I've been with WP since the early days. Most, if not all, of the rendering problems are not CSS specific, but rather divs and other layout quirks that the theme designers had overlooked or were too lazy to correct for cross browser compatibility. Some WP theme designers go all the way, some do half-assed jobs for FF only.

eta: Ok, now that I'm fully awake... sure, AS, IE renders some CSS attributes in a manner quite different from Firefox, Opera or other more standards compliant browsers. However, it is something that is usually (quite easily in most cases) corrected right within the CSS itself, by either editing an attribute slightly, or adding an IE friendly line to that same attribute. All in all, like I said, the vast majority of the "broken in IE" themes can be blamed on designer laziness.

Last edited:
Note, just b/c a page is W3C complaint does not mean it will work in IE6 or IE7.

That is true. Check your work in a variety of browsers.

CSS is fine if you know what you're doing. Anything that is a mess of jumbled up crap will not be accepted.

chrissie said:
Entrants have until 23:59 on April 21 to post their entry. Voting will start on April 22 and run until 23:59 on April 28.

23.59 April 21 where?

Collab effort?

I would be interested in new logo design. Coz that Banner shizza is fugly!!! [TOP]

BL

graph paper | pencil | eraser| colored pencils

Multiple versions to follow shortly!

Criticisms would be greatly appreciated u design nutz!

Last edited:
and a spiffy intro jingle?

B-E notes only ...
Using SIN wav ...
Anyone ever hear the TTC Toronto subway jingle?

Last edited: