Bluelight Shrine

PsychoKitten

kudos. also to all the others who supported her in creating the shrine.

Why has bluelight gone black?

Bluelight has turned black (or rather a shade of grey) in memory of one of our own, who passed away very recently.

wesmdow, later known as s1ck, passed away on the morning of the 20th of February. s1ck was especially loved and respected by members and staff of our TDS (The Dark Side) forum. Please join them and us in a moment of mourning. During this time, please always feel free to add your thoughts to the ongoing memorial thread.

We would also like to take this time to extend our hearts to others who lost loved ones at this time or in the recent past.

R.I.P.

edit: memorial thread link

Last edited:
Bluelight Family,

We have turned Bluelight to black for a week, beginning February 12, as a means of recognizing the passing of Ryan Haight, AKA "Quicksilver" of our Bluelight community. In 2001, Bluelight lost a dear a friend. Few of our current members will remember Ryan. He was an extraordinary young man by all counts. An honors student with an intellectual curiosity about the world and, perhaps most memorably, Ryan was a wonderful person and friend. Ryan was found dead the morning of February 12th from an overdose of prescription pain medication.

Quicksilver's death was not the first loss this community has suffered, nor was it our last. Back in 2001, the phrase "Opiate Epidemic" had not yet entered the lexicon of mainstream America. Indeed, in the same year the Joint Commission, a nonprofit organization responsible for accrediting hospitals, began promoting the now infamous 0-10 pain scale. In 2001 the Joint Commission and Purdue (The makers of Oxycontin) also collaborated on a guide for doctors and patients that claimed, "There is no evidence that addiction is a significant issue when persons are given opioids for pain control."

Fast forward to 2016 and 64,000 Americans died as a result of an opioid overdose -- a 20% increase from the year previous and more than all US military casualties in the Vietnam and Iraq wars combined. In 2018, it was reported that 165,000 people in the US had died from opioid overdoses with many millions more suffering the effects of opioid abuse. These numbers continue to grow each year.

Bluelight is committed to reducing the harm associated with opiates and all other substances by educating the individual. To this end, we provide a venue for open and honest discussion and provide resources for those in recovery or seeking help. We have established February 12th as "Black Bluelight Day," a time to remember all those we have lost and reaffirm our core mission of harm reduction.

On behalf of our staff and our worldwide community, we ask that you take a moment to reflect on what drug-related harm reduction means and how we can together further the health, safety and well being of those who visit our forums. I know I speak for our leadership when I say that we welcome your feedback and the opportunity to listen to the opinions and suggestions of our community.

We also welcome you to visit the Bluelight Shrine, where you may pay your respects to those we've lost. In a community like Bluelight, we are more likely to lose members than most communities given the nature of our mission. While we seek to educate in an effort to save lives, there will inevitably be times when personal decisions go wrong. We memorialize those we've lost both to keep them alive in our memories, but also as a reminder to all that we aren't invincible. We are all fallible, and mistakes may cost you the ultimate price. Know as much as you can before you make decisions or take risks, and know that we will be here to help you.

Bluelight Shrine (link)

In memoriam of Quicksilver and other lost family members,

The Bluelight Staff

Last edited:
Noone ever really dies, let's celebrate his new life as we all reincarnate. Peace

To those who knew these people, I know what it's like to lose friends when pretty young, lost 2 friends in my early 20's, one caused by falling asleep while cooking fries on the stove in a cauldron of oil while really drunk and passing out from the CO and another from not related to substances issue, at least not directly, more of a really emotional easy to get angry/happy kind of person and not a month goes without me thinking about them now, even 16 and 13 years later.

See you in Nigredo sometime.

Well said, TLB. I remember Quicksilver, though I didn't know him as well as numerous other BLers who have since passed on. This time of year is, IMO, the most depressing, & a number of BLers, whether intentionally or not, have died around this time, including my husband. So it's a very appropriate time for remembrance, IMO. We have lost too many, but with our continued efforts, we honour them.