• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

EVERYONE READ: forum standards **UPDATED May 19th**

djsim

Bluelight Crew
First of all welcome to all the new members here at BL. We've had a lot of new members join here lately, which is great, because it's wonderful to see people taking such an active role in harm reduction. But, with all these new members I just wanted to remind everyone how the forums here at BL are categorised as the material in OD is largely becoming quite diluted.

Other Drugs (OD) is designed for discussion of the queries regarding other drugs (ie not psychadelics or MDMA) not covered by the following two forums:

Basic Drug Discussion (BDD): as the name suggests, basic drug Qs. The next post will soon cover examples of material suited for BDD

Neuroscience & Pharmacology Discussion (N&PD): chemistry-related and more science based course, discussion of novel compounds etc etc

Obviously OD covers a broad range of topics since it lumps in what is not included by BD and ADD. However, a lot of the material being posted can be found with very little effort on the original poster's part (OP). Questions such as:
* If I take suboxone 12 hours after taking heroin will I go into preciptated withdrawals?
* I have a 160mg oxycodone tolerance, will 50mg hydrocodone get me high?
* Does anyone notice the difference between brand names and generics?

All these questions have been answered countless times before, and it is for that reason that unless you cannot find the answer through searching, we will not be going over the same material ad nauseum. Of course if you have something new to add to a topic, then that is encouraged. But the repetitive, easy to research answers will not be answered just because people are too lazy to search themselves. Of course if you cant find an answer after searching, then ask away.

The mods are not trying to be a rule-Nazis here, but this needs to be done to maintain the high posting standards of OD, so over the next few weeks, I will be reminded everyone what belongs here and what doesnt. I will be putting clear notices on why something is moved or why a thread is closed. If you have an issue PM me directly, do not start a new thread!

Take care guys,

djsim

Message from Unknown:

I'd like to add something on here. I want everyone who decides to give advice to other members to think about this really good. The advice we give can be dangerous. Please DO NOT give advice on topic's that are sensitive in nature if you don't know what your talking about. There have been times where members have made comments that could be extremely harmful. If your intent is to be destructive, we will not stand for it! Please, let's continue to provide the best harm reduction advice we can give. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions not suited for Other Drugs (OD):

The list will be added to on a regular basis and is non-exhaustive. The following examples are all (not suited for OD):
  • Most queries regarding combinations of drugs (ie Is low-dose Ritalin and DXM a good combo?)
  • Prescption issues (ie I have 2 Xanax scripts. If I fill RX1 with insurance can I get RX2 filled too?)
  • Basic dosage questions (ie I take 20mg methadone daily, would 20mg oxycodone get me high?) -- keep basic dosage questions in BDD, however dosages for less mainstream drugs would be best in OD
  • social questions (ie what sort of music do you listen to when high?)
  • Basic questions covered in the mega-merged threads (ie If I take subutex 12 hours after heroin, will I go into precipitated WDs?)
  • Ketamine, Phenethylamines, LSD, MDMA discussion belongs in Psychadelic Drugs and Ecstacy Discussion respectively
  • How to abuse your medication (ie I have 10 Ambien. What's the best way to get fucked up?)
  • Regional discussion (eg What's the best LSD in the Boston area?)
  • Self-serving threads -- ask yourself, is the Q going to benefit anyone else besides you?
  • Questions we can only speculate about the answer to. (eg I got a wierd taste from this speed I just bought... what do you think it was cut with?)

Moderating the forum of the above posts necessary to maintain a high standard. It is why BL is so popular and respected as a highly accurate source of harm-reduction based information.

Thanks

Last edited:
Acronyms

A lot of use veterans forget that new BL members may not know the acronyms used herein at BL, so below encompasses a list of commonly used acronyms:

• SWIM - Someone Who Isn't Me -- don't use it here at BL, it's uselss and should stand for Somone Who Is Me as far as most people are concerned. If you are going to talk about illegal shit and somone wants to bust you, rest is not a loophole
  • OP - original poster/person
  • IIRC - If I Remember Correctly
  • UTFSE - Use The Fucking/Forum Search Engine -- do it
  • GTFO - Get The Fuck Out
  • AFAIK - As Far As I Know
  • ROA - Route of Administration
  • DOC - Drug Of Choice
  • OC - OxyContin
  • RX - prescription
  • PR - Paradoxical Reaction
  • IA - intraarterial injection
  • IV - intravenous injection
  • IM - intramuscular injection
  • SI - subcutaneous injection
  • CWE - Cold Water Extraction -- extraction of codeine from APAP/ibuprofen/aspirin
  • APAP - shorthand of chemical name for paracetamol, acetaminophen
  • RC - Research Chemical -- a drug not explicitly scheduled... a gray area of the law
  • BA - Bio-Availability -- the amount of drug available to cause its effect (ie biological availability of the drug)
  • IPA - Isopropyl Alcohol (also known as rubbing alcohol)
  • QFT - Quoted For Truth
  • ED50 - Effective dose for 50% of the population; this would be a 'baseline' dose for half of all individuals
  • LD50 - Lethal dose for 50% of the population; this would be a deadly overdose for half of all individuals
  • WGFJ - White Grapefruit Juice
  • PAWS - Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome
  • ER/XR - Extended Release
  • IR - Instant Release

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminder ==> Caution ==> Warning etc

I'd like to thank the majority of ODers :)) that is, Other Drug posters) for taking on board the forum standards and of course, the forum guidelines. On the whole, forum content has improved over the last couple of weeks. So, to all those who've read this thread and are keeping the posting standard high, I (and all the other mods) thanks you =D

HOWEVER, the rest are terrible lately... today, in the space of 8 hours, 10 posts were closed. That's one post per hour being closed ... and the worse part is most of these closed posts could easily have been avoided if this thread had been noted. I'd expect 10 posts to be closed over the space of a week... so 8.5 hrs is completely inexcusable. Granted, new members are joining every day, so...

From here on in, mods will be doing the following for unacceptable posts:
  • reminder to read guidelines and forum standards
  • formal caution
  • warning
3 (strikes )warnings = automatic ban from BL... cautions don't count towards these 3 strikes.

A high quality forum like BL needs guidelines and standards. Those of you who disagree with this can certainly go to one of the other forums on the internet.

Remember, the mods volunteer their valuable time to help out you BL members. Return the favor by making the administrative duties just a little easier. The more time us mods spend disciplining, the less time we have to help with proper queries.

And again, to those who have made an effort, the BL mods and admins (and I) thank you!

Cheers :)

Seriously though these 'quick question' threads that generate 'yes', 'no', '10mg', '20mg' answers should go in BDD whereas actual intelligent discussion generating threads deserve to stay in OD. For those who don't follow the rules we should have a more publicly humiliating warning system to deter future behavior. Yesterday I came to OD and the entire front page was either moved or closed, that should tell us that verbal cautions are obviously not working.

In addition, I've said this before and I'll say it again. Users with greenlighter status should not be allowed to create new threads in OD until they reach bluelighter status. This would solve 80% of the problem. It would give new users time to see how OD is run.

Just wanted to clarify what the expected response to non-conforming threads is. Apart from reporting the post, do we just not reply? Often you'll see people join to just ask one question, so warnings don't phase them. Just as often, users will reply with the answer. Perhaps if replying to these topics was discouraged, there would be less incentive for these types of questions to be asked?

It could be encouraged to respond to the thread with a firm "UTFSE", but in the end this is the mods' job and normal users shouldn't have to do it (besides, the I have a feeling that these sorts of responses would affect the 'atmosphere' of the board, or cause users to look like mod wannabes).

^my idea would prevent one-timer members from asking a stupid question without any care for the consequences. They would simply not be able to start a new thread. In regards to the report button we could have a flagging system like craigslist where if a certain number of members report a thread it gets locked automatically. That would be genuis.

Preventing new members from asking questions is hardly harm reduction IMO. Ideally the one time questions would be weeded out sure, whether or not that's worth losing whatever safety questions asked by new users is up to someone else.

The mods aren't payed and this isn't their job. They volunteer for the good of the cause, thus by being "wannabe" mods you are only helping them. To expect a bunch of volunteers that are themselves users and addicts to police a forum 24/7 is unrealistic IMO. You could simply hit the report button if you don't wanna look like a "wannabe" but, personally I could care less about what people think if I'm just telling someone its against the rules or point them in the right direction. I guess I really don't see any value added in leaving it up to the mods unless of course you're worried about how people view your anonymous handle.

It could be encouraged to respond to the thread with a firm "UTFSE", but in the end this is the mods' job and normal users shouldn't have to do it (besides, the I have a feeling that these sorts of responses would affect the 'atmosphere' of the board, or cause users to look like mod wannabes).
If it's so easy to UTFSE maybe you could do it for them and then remind them, maybe even give a tip as to how you found the thread?

Johnny blue, I'm saying new users would not be able to create new threads in OD, however they would be allowed to make new threads in BDD where they cater to new users and their basic questions. Unfortunatly the majority of the threads created by them are bogus or inappropriate for OD. Denying greenlighters access to create threads in OD will also encourage them to check the mega threads and utfse, if it's a medical emergency there is nothing we can do about it here anyways.

Eh, its just the annual "OD is in crisis" marathon.

Some things you just can't "fix."

People will get over it. Whatever "it" is.

Pinpoint, I get ya bro. You're right BDD is usually the place for most greenlighters threads. Alls I'm saying is what if the have something that belongs in OD? I guess it could still be handled in BDD.

Realistically all new threads in OD should be run through JC's PM box. Doing this would eliminate the need for OD entirely and would free up the space for a more dedicated nudy forum

Users with greenlighter status should not be allowed to create new threads in OD until they reach bluelighter status. This would solve 80% of the problem. It would give new users time to see how OD is run.

I've thought this as well. I remember when I got into this site, it was a bit confusing at first, but I think all the boards on Bluelight make it easy enough to find the rules for their certain forum.

I've often wondered if there could be a way moderators would have to approve threads that greenlighters start before they are shown (like how they do it over in legal discussion), because many of the closed/moved threads are started by new users who aren't used to the way things run here. That's not to say new users never have anything worthwhile to say, a lot of them do.. but I do agree a lot of new users are the cause of the problem.

There's also a lot of members who post topics that aren't up to parr for OD, over and over and over. Most of them are never going to follow the rules, no matter how many time's their told.. Maybe a system where once a certain number of your threads are closed/moved/locked, a mod would have to approve them from then on out.

I think this would help the mods from having to close or move as many threads as they do now, and I think it would help users become more acquainted with how the OD operates.

Johnny Blue said:
Realistically all new threads in OD should be run through JC's PM box. Doing this would eliminate the need for OD entirely
Hahaha. Bravo.

[Hi pin, good to see you. I've been alright man. My lawyer hooked it up and got it dropped to manslaughter, so I'm going to take the plea. Three years is A LOT better than 25 to life. How about you?]

Quickly:

You know that annoying pop-up when you have a private message? I don't know if its been said before, but we need more annoying pop-ups. Annoying pop-ups for someone who just signed up. Annoying pop-ups before creating your first thread. Annoying pop-ups popping out of annoying pop-ups. I've worked with children, and most people here are about as smart as children, so lets use the same tactic:
Repetition.
Repetition.
Repetition.
Repetition.

As for the OD/BDD disparity, I don't think its as big an issue as people make it. Moving a thread takes about 5 seconds. Does anyone ever tell the OP why it was moved? Other than "OD ---> BDD" Another minute and it could be explain what fits where and why. NO ONE will read the guidelines if you link them (so I have learned), so maybe they should be told what they have done "wrong" right there, in that thread. As an added bonus, new members might (hopefully) learn from that.

I really do think positive reinforcement is what's needed. I've been a source of a lot of negative reinforcement in the past, and I realize it doesn't make anything better. The warning system is there to keep order, but it really doesn't do a whole lot. In fact, warning begets warning, flaming begets flaming. And banning someone will often just bring them back to cause more ruckus. Anyway, I'm sick of typing.

My last idea:
Repetition.
Repetition.
Repetition.
Repetition.

• SWIM - Someone Who Isn't Me -- don't use it here at BL, it's gay and should stand for Somone Who Is Me as far as most people are concerned. If you are going to talk about illegal shit and somone wants to bust you, rest is not a loophole

Using "gay" to mean "uncool" or "unnacceptable" or "looked down upon"? What is this, sixth grade?

That aside, great post and good information. I think that since I've been a member here, the moderation of this forum has continued to improve, first with the implementation of the rules list, then the mega-threads, then the directory and now the updated standards. While nothing will ever rule out human stupidity, it's important to educate the casual members who can help you guys out by reporting threads or explaining/repeating rules to the newer members.

Kudos on the latest effort.

^^^
Who cares? He's not saying it in a discriminatory fashion...

bump

Using "gay" to mean "uncool" or "unnacceptable" or "looked down upon"? What is this, sixth grade?

That aside, great post and good information. I think that since I've been a member here, the moderation of this forum has continued to improve, first with the implementation of the rules list, then the mega-threads, then the directory and now the updated standards. While nothing will ever rule out human stupidity, it's important to educate the casual members who can help you guys out by reporting threads or explaining/repeating rules to the newer members.

Kudos on the latest effort.

I agree, using SWIM may be redundant or silly but I fail to see how that equates it to homosexuality or being merry.