View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[LSD Subthread] Storage of Liquid LSD

Cosmic Mist

Bluelighter
Hi all! I don't know if there are threads on this already or not, but if there are feel free to direct me. I did a search but didn't find too much of use...

So first of all i guess i should explain myself.

A friend of mine has just recently come across the opportunity to buy a vial of liquid LSD which is said to have ~100 drops (or doses?) of LSD within it. He has the cash to buy it, so that is not an issue, but knowing how fragile this chemical can be, he is wondering how best to store it if he should buy it?

He doesn't want to keep it in the freezer for fear of the liquid freezing and destroying the chemical.

Obviously he wants it to last as long as possible, so he knows that he should keep it somewhere cool and out of the light.

Would the fridge be an option? And how long would the liquid last before
the chemical starts to break down anyways?

Any help you can give us would be most appreciated! :)

-CM

He doesn't want to keep it in the freezer for fear of the liquid freezing and destroying the chemical.

Freezing an LSD solution is one of the best things you can do to preserve your LSD.

Really? Most of the people i have spoken to seems to think that freezing it will destroy it...

I haven't been able to find anything about freezing it on Erowid... where did you get your info from? :)

Last edited:
Its just basic chemistry. The cooler it is the less energy you have available for a decomposition reaction. And when you freeze a solution you restrict diffusion making it much harder for oxidants to get to the LSD.

so freezing it wouldn't harm the LSD molecules then... If this solution were to be frozen, and the water to expand as it does when it is frozen, would that impact the LSD at all?

The expansion of the water while freezing LSD solution will not damage the LSD molecules.

Thanks guys, that info is great... :)

The other thing he asked me to ask about is thawing and re-freezing the solution, and whether or not this would have an undesired effect on the solution.

For example, if he were to keep the solution for personal use, would it be possible to thaw it out and take a small sample for sugar cubes or blotter, and then refreezing it...?

ALso, if he were to freeze it, is there any telling what sort of lifespan the solution would have? Does anyone know what the half life of LSD is?

No one can give you a specific number of years LSD should last, but if you keep it frozen, in an air tight container and in the dark, it should last many years. If you repeatedly freeze and thaw it it will shorten the life somewhat as you introduce more oxygen and contaminants every time you do that. It would be best if one broke it up into individual doses and froze them separately if thats possible.

Last edited:
What's up with reporting my thread on good and bad acid? There is nothing in it that even remotely refers to sources or anything else. The closest I came was mentioning what a piece of paper from 10 years ago looked like. You people post reports and pictures of ecstacy from around the world on here!!!! Quite playing board police and check out some of the other post, this is a little rediculouse.

HELP ME!!!

I have run a search for "rules, guidlines,ets" and come up with nothing. Please help me out so I quite getting into trouble?

Depending on how many doses and how often you'll dose, instead of thawing the whole vial, perhaps make some hits beforehand. Say a drop or 2 on some cubes and freeze them along with the vial. Then you only have to eat the cubes :)

Well if sunlight and heat are its worst enemys then what would happen when you go to unfreeze the liqued LSD. I dont have access to any LSD in my area so I'm not sure on basic matters such as this.

Well if sunlight and heat are its worst enemys then what would happen when you go to unfreeze the liqued LSD.

Well you could thaw it in the fridge in the dark. It would only take longer. I definitely wouldn't recommend thawing it in your microwave, of course.

I tried the freeze a vial once but it turned out to have 100% ethanol as a solvent and wouldn't freeze.

There was once a small vial that contained 2C-I in alcohol along with a small amount of red food colouring (for identification purposes). The 2C-I was long ago used up and the bottle left empty.

Some months later, the empty bottle was rinsed twice with 90% ethanol, and subsequently appeared clean.

LSD (10mg) was mixed with a small quantity of 90% alcohol, creating a solution of 100 drops, where 1 drop = 100ug and placed in the empty bottle.

Upon inspection, the LSD solution in the bottle was coloured red, indicating the presence of a small residue of food-colouring/2C-I.

The solution was stored in the freezer.

My question is: Will the contaminants destroy the LSD, even if the liquid is kept sealed, in the dark, in the freezer? Even a small amount of chlorine is known to destroy LSD. Iodine (from the 2C-I) is also a halogen, so I'm guessing that there could be a problem here.

Any help on this theoretical question would be appreciated :)

The iodine in 2C-I is attached to the benzene ring and is pretty inert to most chemical changes. It's the free halogen that is the problem. To use an oft cited example, sodium is a highly reactive metal that reacts violently with water and chlorine is a very poisonous gas that forms corrosive solutions in water. Sodium chloride is what you put on fish and chips (I know thats an example from inorganic chemistry, but the principal holds true for organic chemistry as well)

It's all about completing s, p, f etc orbitals for the particular atom. If you want to know more, a GCSE level chemistry text book explains it in depth.

That said though, it's possible that one of the food colouring agents (such as azo dyes etc) might interact with the LSD, but it def wouldn't be iodine from a 2C-I molecule

PS An increase of 10'C effectivly doubles the reaction rate for any given reaction; conversely a drop of 10"C halfs the reaction rate. As the inactivation of LSD is a conversion of LSD to iso-LSD, for every drop of 10'C in the storage conditions, you'll double the life of the LSD, everything else (solvent etc) being the same.

^^^ Thanks f.a.b, that's a fab answer =D

The food colourings had no effect on 2C-I, 2C-E, 2C-T-7 and 2C-T-21, nor TMA-2, so that's encouraging. Though LSD is a somewhat less stable beast than the 2C's, I'm guessing.

It's also good to hear about each drop of 10'C halving the reaction rate. I've known blotters lasting for at least a year just well-sealed and stashed at room temp, so the freezer's all the better.

Cheers,
Neo