• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

How Do You Approach Non Drug Users?

Dan1584

Bluelighter
How do approach non drug users when you mention your drug use and they start talking about how seemingly "bad" drugs are for you and start talking all the ignorance they've been taught. It just bothers me when someone says "Oh you do drugs? I could never do them"....I can't really respond "Well you just don't understand, you haven't experienced them for yourself. You'd see it differently if you used drugs" because they'll throw in "well you would defend drugs because you use them and are allured by them".....I hate that crap.

So how do you approach non-drug users? Not only the ones who believe everything they read and see on TV, but the normal ones that know that drugs aren't as they are described to the public.

i try to show them they are using faulty logic. for example:

random person: you do drugs?!?! thats bad for you...
me: not all drugs are bad
random person: yes they are. i saw it on tv. blah blah blah.
me: you take birth control pills, dont you?
random person: of course
me: you know those are drugs too. that makes you a drug user too.

thats a super short convo, but i think the idea gets across. many people forget that birth control, tylenol and such are drugs too. and that these drugs are generally regarded as good. if i know the person drinks alcohol or smokes cigarettes, i'll use that as an example of drugs making you feel better. this doesnt always work but i have found it to be the most helpful.

^ nice.

as Trainspotting so nicely put it:

"and one bottle of Valium, which I have already procured from my mother, who is, in her own domestic and socially acceptable way, also a drug addict."

alasdair

I just usually try and make myself seem more mature. I usually just tell the other person to forget about it, 'to each his own'.

Either that or I go on an insane rant, destroying any possible argument the opposition could have, but only when I have the energy, and I'm a pretty lazy guy.

when I tell someone that I use drugs they usually have 2 responses for me, one being "yeah I kinda figured that by your friend" (I rarely leave home without one! even my non drug using friends seem like they do) or two "Really?? I couldn't tell!!!" Apparently around here smoking weed is just commonplace, no one cares about it anymore, but anything else is a big no no

i normally say fairly similar things to animal_cookie, but most of the time just get angry - people (in general) seem to just not be able to accept that there are quite a few 'low-risk' drugs out there. there's also the fact that even though a lot of drugs are doing me harm, i'm still responsible enough to make my own fucking decisions...grr.

At my house we have rgular parties, with a wide wariety of people(straight, drinkers, weed only, users). In normal circomstances I never argue with straight people about drugs, because no matter how well you argue your point, they will leave just thinking of you as a deluded drug addict. But when at a party, I'll be schnaffing a line or smoking a globe in the kitchen and some drunk getting a beer will start tuning me what a loser I am to take that crap, that's when I see red!!!

I'll say, " I respect your poison of choice, how dare you don't respect mine, look at you, a staggering drunk, tuning me how to live my life? You've already broken 2 glasses, been obnoxious and rude to most of the ladies present, in the past month you've written off your car and you're in no condition to handle any important situation that could come up. yes, you are a model citizen, be fucking proud of it!!"

Tylerdurden: I couldn't agree more! Whatever one says, I can always see the look in their eyes, they are just thinking about telling everyone how sad and deluded you are and (by implication) how much better they and their drunk ass friends are.

The last time I had a relatively calm discussion about drugs with a non-user, she glazed over and nodded every time I presented facts, then went back to: "Yeah, but there was this guy I went to school with, he's dead now. He did drugs."

I mean, there is no way to argue with that, anecdotal experience tainted by biased propaganda is no match for complicated factual information. It's a lot easier to just go back to the commonsensical: "He's a junky trying to justify it to himself".

Then again, when I am totally within my rights to be sitting somewhere enjoying my drugs in peace, someone giving me shit about it can expect... bad things ;)

One time there was even this absolute dickhead at a party my friend was having, he was there with his friends but he barely even knew the owner of the house, they met just a couple of weeks before. He's sloppy drunk, spots me smoking a bong and comes over and proceeds to tell me that I'm going to DIE, just like my best friend who killed himself only a few months earlier. I'm talking SERIOUS emotional trauma here, I am still far from being anywhere near getting over his death.

And there he was, some asshole at a party, a few months later, telling me marijuana killed my best friend. Bwah... I don't like anti-drug people, especially those that drink.

--- G.

Actually I used to tell people this:

ME: "Do you drink alcohol cause that's a drug too"
THEM: "Yeah but then why is it legal?"
ME: "They tried to make it illegal (prohibition) but it turned itno a big "underground" situation much like other drugs today."
THEM: "Well drugs like ecstasy can kill you"
ME: "Go look up how many people die on ecstasy ALONE compared to how many people die off of cigarettes and alcohol. And keep in mind that alcohol is responsible for 60% of driving fatalities, and is one of the greatest causes of addiction in America"

At that point I give them a (ha ha, in your face, shut your fucking mouth) look and go about my day.

OHHHH I had one person say that they agreed that alcohol is a drug but then said:

THEM: "The drugs you take don't have a medical purpose"
ME: "Oh that's right I forgot, Alcohol is used to treat AIDS right?"

I swear next time I'm at a party and some little shit head bothers me in that "non drug user" way I'm going to drop 3 hits of acid (what a waste...and the fact it's non exisitant!) in his beer and wave goodbye to his snotty little ass!!!! ;)

It's easy to die from alcohol - I speak of alcohol poisoning, not some indirect way where you crash your car or attempt to shoot objects of your friend's head.

There was a kid at my graduation party who drank some insane amount of vodka, blacked out, and was in obvious need of medical attention, although the fuckers who threw the party waited for three hours to get an ambulance due to the fact everyone was underage...

A friend of mine finished off a bottle of whisky after who knows how much else - lucky for her, she collapsed in a hospital parking lot. When they revived her, she was arrested for assaulting the hospital staff...

Just because you only drink doesn't make you better than a casual drug user. They're pretty much the same thing.

i've posted this in this forum before, but i'll use it again for this thread....

i was going camping awhile back and my friend got all pissed off that i didn't run it by her that i would be smoking pot. she's known me for 15+ years and dared ask that question. she said because we were going to a family park, with kids, and the campsite was in her name...

well i threw it back at her that she would be drinking, and that i'd rather my kids be around a pothead than a drunk. she told me to fuck off.

well i threw it back at her that she would be drinking, and that i'd rather my kids be around a pothead than a drunk. she told me to fuck off.

haha, that's great.... and so very true...

I don't comment at all.

Unless the person wants to know the truth... I see no reason to school them. What the fuck do I have to gain by coming across as a drug expert anyway?

Dazzle.....LMAO....that little animation you have under your user name is damn funny.

both sides

i like to tell people about the poor qualities of the drug in discussion and then tell them about the excellent traits{enthusiastically}, that way i don't seem biased
--anyway most people fear what they don't understand{i was like that with primo's-cocaine and tobacco}
--it also seems to help to actually know chemical names and what reactions they do & do not cause, i like to talk to them intellectually and responsibly, so no matter what their decision, they know i've made the right choice for me:|

p.s.--yeah, and arguing sucks and is a waste of time

Ah, yes, technical jargon gets them every time! People feel like idiots when you run off chemical formulas and explain how it all works physiologically, they understand about half of the words and decide they'd better not get into this right now ;)

One recent example:

Person: There was this terrible drug being used at that festival, it's an animal tranquilizer and is used as a rape drug! It's called "Butter Acid"!

Me: Ehm, is it a clear liquid?

Person: Yes!

Me: That's not an animal tranquillizer, it's GHB.

Person: No, no, they use it on horses! It's terrible poison!

Me: No, it's Gamma hydroxy butyric acid, it's present in every cell in your body right now. It's structurally similar to GABA, the vital neurotransmitter. In fact I believe it can be both a precursor and a metabolite of GABA, but I'm not totally sure on that. I'd have to look it up.

Person: Ehm... oh. So what bands were playing at the festival?

--- G.

I really don't worry about it. I use drugs, and people can either accept it or not. They'll get nowhere talking to me like I'm an idiot. If they're generally interested or curious about something they nothing about, I'll happily talk to them, but someone who comes shouting the odds will be ignored.