Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushie Hunting Season 2003

cAmmAc

Bluelighter
Just want to know if anyone has had any luck this mushie season!? It hasn't rained for AAAGES, so I haven't bothered looking, but it's raining tonite so I'm gonna pull on the gumboots first thing tomorrow morning and try my luck!

Remember peeps, don't give away locations (re posting guidelines) just tell us what you found and how many!

I found about 15 subbies two weeks ago (after about 5 hours looking :X) , but yeah the dry weather has stopped me from even bothering since. You sure its gonna rain tonight? It's not raining atm...

mushie season is well underway, well it is in the eastern suburbs anyways. Me and the boys have picked hundreds, keeping in mind that we haven't been raping our spots. Anyway just go out lookin in spots that have the ideal habitat for subys because my bet is that will be the only psilocybe u'll be able to find. Loook in places with mulched areas, that are a bit shaded and possiblely pine needles or some other leaves on the mulch. In saying that u probably already know all this and am wasting my time......but good luck anyway:D

psilocybian said:
mushie season is well underway, well it is in the eastern suburbs anyways. Me and the boys have picked hundreds, keeping in mind that we haven't been raping our spots. Anyway just go out lookin in spots that have the ideal habitat for subys because my bet is that will be the only psilocybe u'll be able to find. Loook in places with mulched areas, that are a bit shaded and possiblely pine needles or some other leaves on the mulch. In saying that u probably already know all this and am wasting my time......but good luck anyway:D

nooo i don't know any of this, and would love to go on my first mushie hunt ASAP, if only i didnt have so much work 2 do! and it has been POURING where i am (southern sydney), so judging by your posts, now's the time to look.

skinlab...

the other guys who have posted are all in melbourne (i think), so sub hunting is a fair bit easier for them... the melbourne climate is a little more appropriate for them. i've been looking for the past month without any success, however sydney is not totally dry :) i've heard plenty of success stories, so do some research on psilocybe subaeruginosa and start looking :)

check out the photos of them on erowid... basically you should be looking at wooded/mulch areas, perhaps in local parks and reserves, eucalpyt litter/mulch, pine needles/mulch. if it looks like a subaeruginosa and bruises a distinct blue and is growing in wood, then you can be sure it's a subaeruginosa. the only other thing that bruises blue and you might find in these areas is a gilled bolete.

i'm in south-western sydney and none of my parks and reserves have given me any success so far, but hopefully this rain will yeild some here. otherwise will have to drive a lil further away! :)

if all else fails, head to the blue mountains!

cheers,
jimbu

jimbu's post above gives a few good pointers, but i was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good mushie-hunting guide on the web, anywhere? ta :)

cowboy mac posted links to australian psilocybin mushroom texts in this forum not too long ago... the psilocybin mushroom guide to australia and new zealand is not really very good to use for hunting however...

basically you've got to get out and about and find your own patches, but it helps to do some research on the mushrooms you might find - so you can look in the right habitat!

basically - nsw, melbourne (and SA?) during winter after rain, you'll find p. subaeruginosa and it's variants (p. australiana and p. eucalypta). these are woodloving and in the places i described above.

in the warmer months, in nsw and queensland you can look for p. cubensis and copelandia cyanescens. these grow in cow dung, and fruit during high humidity after rain. so basically you'll find them on cow pastures :) i'm not sure how prolific these are down south... i found some on a trip to byron... but if you live in victoria, i've heard of people finding them but you might have some trouble (all the more reason to stock up on subaeruginosa in the winter!).

as far as potency goes, subaeruginosa are reportedly VERY potent, likely to be twice as potent as your cubensis, so be careful :)

finally, make sure you're 100% CERTAIN of an ID before eating your mushrooms! eating mushrooms can be dangerous, theres plenty of poisonous ones out there. if you're not sure, get a digicam or write a detailed proper description on the shroomery (not sure if im allowed to post links here, so just do a google search) in the hunting forum and you'll get lots of help there :)

cheers,
jimbu

What mushie season?!?

We had sweetfuckall mushies in the SE QLD area this past season... probably because it only rained twice all summer and now its too cold for them...:p you lucky temperate weather mushie hunters:\

Andromeda:)

finally, make sure you're 100% CERTAIN of an ID before eating your mushrooms! eating mushrooms can be dangerous, theres plenty of poisonous ones out there. if you're not sure, get a digicam or write a detailed proper description on the shroomery (not sure if im allowed to post links here, so just do a google search) in the hunting forum and you'll get lots of help there

Word up! If in doubt, don't eat it. AFAIK, there are some mushrooms WILL bruse blue and are not psychoactive and some that are downright poisionous... There are mushrooms that you can eat, and not feel the effects till a week later when you're liver expires.. :( 8( 8o

IMNSHO, the best way to lean how to pick is to ask an experenced shroomer to take you next time they go picking. They can teach you about the different types of shrooms, and which ones to look out for and avoid :)

Well, my friend and I went and checked out a few spots today and got a nice little harvest, but I'm just wondering, what is the difinitive way of telling a mushroom is in fact psychoactive?

I know about taking spore prints, but when should you take them? (ie, how long after you've picked them). We tried testing some when we picked them this morning, but because it was raining the process was a bit messy.

And another thing, how long after you've picked a mushie does the blueing/staining/brusing come through?

Cheers!

Bruising starts pretty much straight away.

If you weren't sure if they were edible mushrooms when you picked them then my advice is to throw them out and don't go mushy picking until you know what you are looking for with someone who is experienced in such matters.

It is an unnecessary risk to eat a mushroom that *might* be psychoactive just because you picked it in the wild.

It better to be alive and straight than dying because you too a reasonably large risk because you wanted to get bent.

Very appropriate thread I went hunting about 3 hrs ago and was successful. We got around 30-40 and a few more were coming out. I've had a spot that only I know about and have been going their for 5 seasons now. Im in Melbourne . ooooooooopppppppppsss.

Location details removed. Please read the guidelines.

Last edited:
the reasons why not to post specific mushroom locations are two fold. so one spot doesnt get raped and are able to be regenerated, and so you can go back to it yourself. more than enough information is available for those who wish to find them are in threads of the last few weeks.

Back home the proper mushie season doesn't start in earnest untill late july or early august. That's when there's most of them, and when they're most potent.

And that's exactly when I'll be taking a short trip home, hehe, pun intended ;)

--- G.

SupaDiscoBreaka
Bruising starts pretty much straight away

Bruising times depend on Species and Development(Age - Size) Some variants of P. Subaeruginosa bruise very quickly as stated above while others can take up to an hour to start.

Which is also the case for dung lovers i.e P. Cubensis etc

On the hunt today I took a few pics - got a few great ones of Amanita Muscaria, but unfortunately the pics are too big to post here. They're a great looking mushie, but unfortunately I don't think it's wise to eat em - look em up on Erowid & you'll see what I mean!

Anyone got any pics from their hunts this season, or any season for that matter?!

i just had 6.5 grams of amanita muscaria today. it was alright, it certainly is different from a psub mushie trip, but it's interesting nevertheless. btw, the ones i had was baked (the caps) and dried (the skin of the caps). it was my first time too, i enjoyed it, although the experience isn't as "psychedelic" as mushies, not by a long shot. i haven't found any other mushrooms besides psubs (once) and amamitas (three times). i take photos of my mushroom hunting trips too, but i don't feel comfortable posting it on bluelight, paranoid about any legal enforcement elements lurking around. :)

lookin good, it wont STOP raining here in sydney atm.

I have a nice big valley right on my backyard, so this sunday its time for a hike.

although i should do lots of reading b4 hand :(