• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Too Much Tea Causes Unusual Bone Disease

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
A 47-year-old Michigan woman developed a bone disease rarely seen in the U.S. after she drank a pitcher of tea made from at least 100 tea bags daily, for 17 years, researchers report.

The Detroit woman visited the doctor after experiencing pain in her lower back, arms, legs and hips for five years.

X-rays revealed areas of very dense bone on the spinal vertebrae and calcifications of ligaments in her arm, said study researcher Dr. Sudhaker D. Rao, a physician at Henry Ford Hospital who specializes in endocrinology and bone and mineral metabolism.

The researchers suspected the woman had skeletal fluorosis, a bone disease caused by consuming too much fluoride (a mineral found in tea as well as drinking water).

The patient's blood levels of fluoride were four times higher than what would be considered normal, the researchers said.

Skeletal fluorosis is endemic in regions of the world with naturally high levels of fluoride in drinking water, including some parts of India and China, but is rare in Europe and North America. (Low levels of fluoride are added to drinking water in the United States to prevent cavities, but aren't high enough to cause fluorosis.)
Rao said the patient was originally referred to him because her doctors suspected she had cancer, which can also show up on an X-ray as areas of dense bone. But because Rao had seen cases of skeletal fluorosis in his native India, "I was able to recognize it immediately," he said.

Excess fluoride is typically eliminated from the body by the kidneys, Rao said. But if one consumes a lot of it, as this patient did through tea drinking, over time, the fluoride forms crystal deposits on bone, Rao said.
A few other cases of skeletal fluorosis caused by tea drinking have been reported in the United States. In these cases, patients typically drank a gallon of tea a day, Rao said. Rao and colleagues instructed their patient to stop drinking tea, after which she experienced an improvement in symptoms.

cont at
http://news.yahoo.com/too-much-tea-causes-unusual-bone-disease-222359924.html

100 tea-bags erryday.... That's 3000mgs of caffiene, someone needs to show her real stims.

Yeah, that is waaaaay too much caffeine.
Too much of a good thing is just too much.

I am surprised that she didn't OD when she first drank 100 bags of tea.
(I actually think that each bag has about 45 - 60 mg caffeine, assuming it is black tea. If someone drank all of that at once, they could die pretty easily.)

what kind of fucking idiot puts 100 tea bags in a pot ?

that's natural selection at work right there.

fluoride in water..... becose our goverments totaly just want the best for us,health and freedome of choice,vote obama

This isn't the fluoride in water - tea plants naturally accumulate fluoride ions from the environment and soil.

Fluoride added to water for tooth decay prevention is at such a trivial level that you would die of water intoxication before you died of fluorosis, if you were trying to OD. Besides, if you brush your teeth (or do things like drink tea or eat non-purified salts or fish or plants), you're being exposed to the *evil fluoride* at some level anyway. There's not really a lot of point in whining about public sanitation measures.

If you really want your teeth to rot, you can just distill your water; fluoride isn't volatile as hexafluorosilicate or as alkali metal fluorides (e.g. sodium fluoride)

This isn't the fluoride in water - tea plants naturally accumulate fluoride ions from the environment and soil.

Fluoride added to water for tooth decay prevention is at such a trivial level that you would die of water intoxication before you died of fluorosis, if you were trying to OD. Besides, if you brush your teeth (or do things like drink tea or eat non-purified salts or fish or plants), you're being exposed to the *evil fluoride* at some level anyway. There's not really a lot of point in whining about public sanitation measures.

If you really want your teeth to rot, you can just distill your water; fluoride isn't volatile as hexafluorosilicate or as alkali metal fluorides (e.g. sodium fluoride)

Been drinking unfluoridated water for many years, and my dentists are astounded at the lack of fillings and cavities I have. Maybe it's cuz I drink tea?

I think "public sanitation measures" are a bit bogus tbh. I imagine this woman was combining tea and fluoridated tap water. Fluoride accumulates in the bones.

I think it's pretty strange they didn't investigate her water supply.

I imagine that much tea and fluoridated drinking water in excessive amounts would easily cause bone disease

Again; it's unlikely that the F in water is the culprit. Tea plants are known to concentrate fluoride in their leaves and stalks; this fluoride is then released if you steep it in boling water. Multiply a little bit of fluoride per cup of tea by a thousand teabags and you can probably see where the problem comes from.

This is like someone eating a tube of fluoride toothpaste every day. The water supply has very little to do with it. Also, consider that if you are consuming ppm concentrations of F in water you are also consuming a diluent that will be used to flush some of it out of your body anyway (water has a pretty high affinity for fluoride)

Also there are laws so the levels of F in water that are added are purposefully kept below that which would cause fluorosis; either dental or bone-related. (Black stains on the teeth are generally considered a mark of failure in a dental hygeine program, but too much F does exactly that.) Just like chlorination of water, it's not at a level that will harm us humans. (Chlorine is pretty toxic for people, but I don't see people arguing the Cl in water is bad for us.)

I imagine that much tea and fluoridated drinking water in excessive amounts would easily cause bone disease

Fluoridated water is usually at one part per million. In order to suffer from fluorosis you would have to drink a bath tub a day. This is solely due to the fluoride in tea and is incredibly rare because no sane person drinks 100 tea bags a day over 17 yrs.

which countries still fluorinate their water? i thought that it's now known for decades that fluorinated toothpaste is much more effective?

there are laws so the levels of F in water that are added are purposefully kept below that which would cause fluorosis; either dental or bone-related. (Black stains on the teeth are generally considered a mark of failure in a dental hygeine program, but too much F does exactly that.) Just like chlorination of water, it's not at a level that will harm us humans. (Chlorine is pretty toxic for people, but I don't see people arguing the Cl in water is bad for us.)

Yes because we all know how effective laws are at controlling things, and nobody makes mistakes when calculating how much fluoride they are adding to the water supply 8)

Besides, Cl is fucking nasty. I don't drink tap, no thanks :|

Also, I do think she drank way too much tea. All I'm saying is the water could have sped up the process. FYI her water used to make the tea may have had more than the tea itself, for all we know. It should at least be looked into.
One Thousand Words said:
Fluoridated water is usually at one part per million.
Wrong. Many regions around the planet naturally have at LEAST 50% more than that amount.

Exhibit A, regions with AT LEAST 1.5 ppm groundwater fluoride around the globe:
320px-Groundwater-fluoride-world.svg.png

Black said:
which countries still fluorinate their water? i thought that it's now known for decades that fluorinated toothpaste is much more effective?
A lot of countries apparently.
320px-Fluoridated-water-extent-world.svg.png

Percent of country with fluoridated water:
80-100%
60-80%
40-60%
20-40%
1-20%
<1%
No data

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation

Last edited:
I am also concerned with the possibility of over-fluoridation of water.
However, when I lived in OR, there was no fluoride in the local water. My infant son's teeth became problematic - two broke - and our naturopathic doctor suggested using fluoridated toothpaste, even though he was at an age where he would certainly swallow it. We did, and he seemed to do better. Adult teeth have been strong so far.
There is an appropriate balance, I think.
It is not smart to completely trust the government with health - that is very clear.
And getting some fluoride seems to be very important.
But too much is definitely a bad thing.

Put it this way - I believe public water fluoridation programs are conducted with the best intentions at heart. Sanitation engineers are certainly not out to purposefully poison the water supply.

Maybe I am unconcerned because I live in the part of the world where they bottle city tap water because the city purifies it so well...

Put it this way - I believe public water fluoridation programs are conducted with the best intentions at heart. Sanitation engineers are certainly not out to purposefully poison the water supply.

Maybe I am unconcerned because I live in the part of the world where they bottle city tap water because the city purifies it so well...

I don't think they're out to poison people, but I don't have the same faith in the tap water supply. Never been anywhere in TX that had excellent water. They bottle Dallas public water but I've had it, and it tastes like shit. Austin was probably the best water supply, but honestly I don't trust some of the idiots the city hires to do things... One idiot screwing up a decimal place doing the math to calculate how much fluoride to add to the water could result in 10^x more ppm than was intended.

Just saying it's a delicate process, and the effects wouldn't necessarily be instantaneous, however I think it would be worth investigating in this case.