• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants DAs and DRIs: The Theories of Cross Cancelation and Cross Potentiation

Tryptamino

Bluelight Crew
I have two questions regarding DRI's and DA's and their interactions. They're pretty big questions, and it's possible that they won't be able to be answered, and that's cool, but whatever you know, I wanna know.

1. I've heard several times that DRI's and DA's, when taken simultaneously, cancel out each other's effects, which makes perfect sense, and I have experienced this cancelation myself (snorting ritalin while on vyvanse, stopped the CNS stimulation immediately), but I've never seen a credible source stating that, yet I have seen medical documents saying that it's okay to prescribe methylphenidate/d-methylphenidate and amphetamine/d-amphetamine together (and I've known people who were prescribed these combos), which, if this cross-cancelation thing is true, would mean that medical doctors are actually prescribing medication that negates the effects of each other? This makes no sense to me, and I'm not convinced that the cross-cancelling effect that I experienced was anything more than placebo until I get some credible sources.

2. I've also heard that taking DRI's on the comedown of DA's potentiates the DRI significantly, which I personally will probably never try because the only DRI's available to me are either methylphenidate (which doesn't even get me high due to my stimulant tolerance, I only feel PNS stimulation regardless of dose) and coke that's probably around 30% pure at most. Anyway, if it's true that if taken in that order they cross-potentiate, let's say I take an dextroamphetamine IR orally. At around 4 hours later, if I took a dexmethylphenidate dose nasally; the dopamine that the d-amp had already released is now not reuptaking, therefore creating a surge of dopamine greater than both? Or does the potentiation occur by different interactions? Anyone who has experience with this combo please give me as much detail as to how you do this, and anyone who can find a credible source to confirm this theory, please do.

Also, if anyone has a source regarding general information on DA's and DRI's, their differences, unique properties, and interactions, please let me know.

This thread is for my educational use, too, because I had a discussion regarding this topic with my pharmacology professor (who I have known for a few years and is a drug addict and was a meth cook in the 90's) this morning after class, eventually leading to him deciding to assign a mini-symposium involving 10 selected students, each presenting a different topic regarding agonists, antagonists and reuptake inhibitors. Obviously this is my topic, and my interest is absolutely not simply to get a grade, I've been wondering about these topics for a long time, having used and abused almost every DRI and DA under the sun, in fact the only stimulants that I know exist that I haven't tried are 4-MAR and 3C-P. Anyway, these were the topics that my professor and I were debating, and neither of us found a conclusive source, only wildly varying answers.

Anyway, since it is for school, I'd appreciate credible sources.

Last edited:
I'm horrible with the "there's" ha.

Well, I'm not so sure about the first question, but I do know from personal experience that when you take a DRI after a DA, the DRI hits much harder. It's actually pretty interesting how powerful it seems to boost the effects. I'm basing this primarily off of my experience with taking Bupropion (through other ROA's than oral-stupid,stupid,stupid) after Adderall or Dexadrine. As everyone knows, bupropion is not commonly conceived as a recreational drug, and most people don't even know its a Stimulant/NDRI. The truth is, when the time release is broken and the bupropion is administered through a route which provides a faster peak and a higher absorption level, it can be pretty damn intense-Especially if its taken after a DA..however, don't misunderstand me, Buoropion is NOT fun, and it is very dangerous to expirament with!.

Going back to your first question, I have no proof, but I think that combining DRI's and DA's does not actually completely negate the effects of both, but it definitely DOES dull them. For instance, whenever I have had both cocaine and amphetamines, it seemed as though I couldn't get the kick I normally would from the Amos unless I laid off the coke until later.

I'm horrible with the "there's" ha.

Well, I'm not so sure about the first question, but I do know from personal experience that when you take a DRI after a DA, the DRI hits much harder. It's actually pretty interesting how powerful it seems to boost the effects. I'm basing this primarily off of my experience with taking Bupropion (through other ROA's than oral-stupid,stupid,stupid) after Adderall or Dexadrine. As everyone knows, bupropion is not commonly conceived as a recreational drug, and most people don't even know its a Stimulant/NDRI. The truth is, when the time release is broken and the bupropion is administered through a route which provides a faster peak and a higher absorption level, it can be pretty damn intense-Especially if its taken after a DA..however, don't misunderstand me, Buoropion is NOT fun, and it is very dangerous to expirament with!.

Going back to your first question, I have no proof, but I think that combining DRI's and DA's does not actually completely negate the effects of both, but it definitely DOES dull them. For instance, whenever I have had both cocaine and amphetamines, it seemed as though I couldn't get the kick I normally would from the Amos unless I laid off the coke until later.

Thanks, I have taken buoropion as well, Rx for ADD, took it literally twice and then flushed them all down the toilet, dirty, unpleasant stimulation.
And I've known people who would always do a series of coke shots after coming off of meth shot, and likewise, there was a John Lennon/Elton John story about how they would stay up for 1 day on speed and then stay up another day on coke, take a valium and sleep, wake up and repeat, always in that order too, so this makes sense, I just need some sources.

=D

The only reason I'd point it out is to facilitate the great minds of Bluelight to want to read through your well written post. That's all.

:D

It only seems logical to me that blocking the re-uptake of monoamines after administration of a monoamine releasing drug would only enhance the desired/undesired effects of what drugs were being taken. Of course, the interaction would be different dependent on the monoamine releasing agent's mechanism of action. Amphetamine if i remember right reverses the transport of dopamine into the synaptic cleft therefore increasing levels of dopamine present for neurotransmission. By taking a DRI, such as methylphenidate, that blocks the action of the dopamine transporter (DAT) it may be that amphetamine's main mechanism of action may be nullified. But for a dopamine releasing drug that carries its action without involving DAT directly it is feasible to conclude a DRI would enhance the subjective stimulation. I'm honestly surprised that I can't find any studies on the safety or efficacy of this combination considering how common it may be for poly-drug users to mix their stimulants

They will be additive togheter, i combined releasers with reuptake inhibitors many times each time the effects added to eachother, since you dont max out your transporters with either drug they shouldnt block eachother.