• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

If you don't like this movie we can't be friends/lovers

Tommyboy

Bluelight Crew
I'm sure that most of us have said this to ourselves about some movies (although I doubt that anyone would ever end a relationship over it), so I was wondering what movies your friends/partners would have to like in order for things to work out. You could also name some movies that you would "break up" with them over if they liked.

If you don't like Dumb and Dumber we are not friends. It's got that stupid sense of humor that most of my friends share with me, and a lot of my jokes go hand in hand with the type of jokes in the movie. Plus I like quoting the movie which wouldn't work well with someone who hasn't watched it during one of its many re-runs on TBS.

Grandmas Boy is one that I was genuinely upset that a girl I was into didn't like. It's got that stoner humor that most people need an open mind for, and since I wouldn't want to date someone that is too serious she's gotta be down with GB. It was actually probably one of the reasons it didn't work out between us.

Tommyboy is another one, obviously.

On the other hand there are a few serious movies on my list.

Garden State depicts some of the suffering that a lot of us here have gone though, so I think that it takes some kind of understanding for someone to like it, and if a person doesn't have this type of understanding then I don't know if it would work between us. In this case instead of them having to like the movie for me to like them, I think they would have to like it for them to be able to stay with me. I'm not one to let someone in on my problems, but if it's going to work out then they need to be understanding if some of them are exposed. A lot of people don't like that movie so I think I'm in trouble. :\

I'll think of some more to post later.

it's just entertainment. i pass absolutely no judgement on the tastes of others.

by your rationale, my complete disdain for breaking bad means i should stop coming to bluelight.

it's just entertainment. i pass absolutely no judgement on the tastes of others.

by your rationale, my complete disdain for breaking bad means i should stop coming to bluelight.

The thread is just for fun. People jokingly say that they can't be friends with someone anymore when they find out that they do/don't like a particular movie, so I wanted to discuss which movies they are for those of us who have thought of this. I'm sure that I am friends with plenty of people that don't like the movies I mentioned, and I'm sure that a girl that doesn't like the Garden State would still be able to date me. It's just for fun.

For me, it's not about what they don't like. I'm slightly picky when it comes to what the person does like. I don't think I could date anyone who watches shows like "Jersey Shore" or "Keeping up with the Kardashians" religiously. I'm dead serious.

god i'd rather get a spinal tap then see garden state again. there are few faces as punchable as zach braff's.

^ It's a love it or hate it movie for sure. I think I know more people that hate it though.

For me, it's not about what they don't like. I'm slightly picky when it comes to what the person does like. I don't think I could date anyone who watches shows like "Jersey Shore" or "Keeping up with the Kardashians" religiously. I'm dead serious.

word.

I don't get upset if someone doesn't like a movie or show I love because there's always some other common ground to exploit. I admit it is great to be able to quote from The Simpsons in any situation and be surrounded by people who can instantly place the reference into context and have a laugh about it.

yeah i shoulda known my last relationship was doomed when she insisted on watching grey's anatomy. together. and if i left she'd pout. and really not in a cute way. no wonder i was drunk all the fucking time.

edit: on her insistance, we also watched flavor of love and a few more abysmal dating shows on mtv.

Most of my friends don't like my favorite movies anyway - doesn't really bother me. It just means that they're uneducated plebs with the discerning taste of a walnut, but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends :)

Basically if you're that chick who thinks the original Star Wars first 3 movies was nothing more than people playing with light tubes and pew pew...."uuuuhhhh, I don't get it...its sooooo weeird" Just fucking die already.

There, I said it.

The thread is just for fun. People jokingly say that they can't be friends with someone anymore when they find out that they do/don't like a particular movie, so I wanted to discuss which movies they are for those of us who have thought of this. I'm sure that I am friends with plenty of people that don't like the movies I mentioned, and I'm sure that a girl that doesn't like the Garden State would still be able to date me. It's just for fun.

sorry, my bad.

for every michael bay or m nite shyamalan movie you like, i will personally shoot you in the face. ;)

. I admit it is great to be able to quote from The Simpsons in any situation and be surrounded by people who can instantly place the reference into context and have a laugh about it.

yeah that is pretty special, in'it.

the years i spent working next desk to mcwigga were fantastic for this exact reason.

I miss mcwigga :(

Anyway, I don't typically judge people on their taste in shows or movies, but either they've never even heard of the movie/show or I'm dropping quotes left and right and someone gets them all.
That's when I make a new friend.

the original Star Wars first 3 movies was nothing more than people playing with light tubes and pew pew...."uuuuhhhh, I don't get it...its sooooo weeird" Just fucking die already.

Star Wars is a wholly derivative, unduly successful spate of B-movie-esque sci-fi-fantasy melodramas. Oh yeah, and coolspaceshipsbro, laser blasters, light tubes, pew pew pew.

Star Wars is a wholly derivative, unduly successful spate of B-movie-esque sci-fi-fantasy melodramas. Oh yeah, and coolspaceshipsbro, laser blasters, light tubes, pew pew pew.

We obviously can't be friends then. That's okay. I've never liked dumb blondes.

it's ok if you don't like it, but "Lost in Translation is so boring; nothing even happens in that movie" sets you back a step with me.

it's ok if you don't like it, but "Lost in Translation is so boring; nothing even happens in that movie" sets you back a step with me.

Lost in Translation is a great movie. Its not even one of these slow, meditative films really. Show them Baraka and they basically turn to stone or something?

Also Holy Grail is a good watermark for humor. If you don't laugh at all at this its a dealbreaker. i watched it a few months ago and its still as fun as ever. Own it, seen it beyond count.

Last edited:

I take it you first saw the (original) movies as an adult? Anyone who saw those films in their childhood has a pretty large space in their heart set-aside for Star Wars. They may not be Citizen Kane or The Godfather or or whatever your particular watermark for cinematic excellence is, but they pretty much embody the term "Fun".

Also Star Wars is objectively cinematic history. Special effects basically sucked prior to it. ILM basically invented special effects. We're talking about the movie that effectively made it possible for Kubrick to make 2001 [ok ok! I fact checked and 2001 came out in 68 and SW was in 77, my bad!]. And Empire is one of the best movies ever made.

We're talking about the same movie people went to see like 7 times on the opening weekend right?

*feeds troll*

Last edited: