⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

If you don't like this movie we can't be friends/lovers

*feeds troll*

My choice of avatar aside, I tend to be a deliberate contrarian when it comes to 'objectively' shitty films that people saw when they were kids and then prima facie decide to lionize as 'classics,' especially when the material in question enjoys its dubious status under the auspices of artistic achievement or surpassing technical skill. The sci-fi-fantasy/conceptual source material for Star Wars is hardly original (we're talking decades, here). The acting is mediocre at best, especially from those from whom we would really have expected better, given their star status today. Many of the special effects were embellishments upon or iterations of techniques used long before (2001: A Space Odyssey, anyone?) Lucas's perennially adolescent fanboys grew their first curly hairs. The plot is thin and predictably monomythical in the extreme, which makes for a tedious viewing experience for anyone who has so much as opened a goddamn book once or twice. The score, aside from the legendary main theme, was almost unbearable in its hackneyed deployment. Oh yeah, and jpgrdnr really did hit the nail on the head with this one - when we're all willing to be honest with each other, the only appeal that these movies truly possess really does boil down to 'pew pew pew' and George Lucas constantly, feverishly whispering "lookwhaticandolookwhaticandolookwhaticando!" to his all-too-eager audience.

If a movie analogous to Star Wars (a uniquely edited, flimsily narrated, variably acted, wooden-character-populated, but nevertheless visually innovative orgy of new special effects) were to make its debut today, how do you honestly think you would respond to it, as in, critically?

We're talking about the movie that effectively made it possible for Kubrick to make 2001

Facepalm.gif

god i'd rather get a spinal tap then see garden state again. there are few faces as punchable as zach braff's.

Spinal Tap. As in this is.

Good one.

I love your Double-Entende' ways...

I admit it is great to be able to quote from The Simpsons in any situation and be surrounded by people who can instantly place the reference into context and have a laugh about it.

As long as the reference doesn't go beyond the tenth season (even that's pushing it) then you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Let the bears pay the bear tax.

Last edited:
They may not be Citizen Kane or The Godfather or or whatever your particular watermark for cinematic excellence is, but they pretty much embody the term "Fun".

That's pretty unfair. I offered my opinion re. a bunch of overrated, poorly acted special effects blowouts, and you attempt to back me into a rhetorical corner by caricaturing my particular cinematic palette as being that of some lofty, pretentious snob.

Truth be told, I've never once seen Citizen Kane. The Godfather was pretty 'meh' for me, but I saw it when I was much younger. I did, however, enjoy Casablanca, Navarone, et al. As a rule, the real classics for which I try to retain a critical eye are the ones being made today - that is, I'm more concerned with contemporary films than with so-called 'classic' ones. As a piece of cinema among all other pieces of cinema, Star Wars is overrated tripe. The fact that I was 'brought up on it' just as well as you were has, by my lights, absolutely no say in the matter. I spent part of my childhood watching SpongeBob and Courage the Cowardly Dog, but I elect not to lavish these works with rabid plaudits whilst lambasting the heretic who offers a hint of dissent.

If a movie analogous to Star Wars (a uniquely edited, flimsily narrated, variably acted, wooden-character-populated, but nevertheless visually innovative orgy of new special effects) were to make its debut today, how do you honestly think you would respond to it, as in, critically?

That's a pretty big what-if. Avatar and Prometheus come to mind. Avatar was overhyped and while gorgeous was, not really very good. Prometheus did what the original Alien did and that was scare the living bejesus out of me. And for that Ridley Scott succeeded.

I dunno, personally if something sucked me into it that much...Mulholland Drive is the only movie where I saw it twice within a couple of days, in the theatre. I would probably dress as my favorite character from the movie in the form of hardworked cosplay that I spent 6 months on and go to conventions to? Serenity/Firefly comes close...It'd be like Mass Effect the movie or something where basically they knocked the ball out of the park and it gets 4 Academy Awards or something. Mass Effect is the only thing that probably comes close.

Its hard because there is no analogy. It would be like some weird cultural phenom. I mean even LOTR was enjoyable to watch and Christ I shed some tears, but damn did it suck compared to the book.

My original point was that I detest people and more specifically women who automatically dismiss it as something they have no interest in. Its like the target demographic of Cosmopolitan, Glee, and I don't know what....the epitome of feminine beauty is Barbie. Its like they are trying to score points with themselves for putting down something some people like. I've seen it on this board countless times. Those people, imho, can go away. Stay away from me. I am a fanboy? Sure. Do I own any of the movies? No. Is Star Wars art/Art? It has just about a legit claim as anything these days...

That's pretty unfair. I offered my opinion re. a bunch of overrated, poorly acted special effects blowouts, and you attempt to back me into a rhetorical corner by caricaturing my particular cinematic palette as being that of some lofty, pretentious snob.

You get me wrong, because I love Citizen AND The Godfather. The point of picking those two films in particular is because they are generally regarded them as the pinnacle of cinematic achievement, but many people disagree, and not knowing your personal favorite films I used two general examples. I don't know anything about you, but in my experience, the people who feel that Star Wars is a generic, subpar movie experience are those who didn't grow up with the films. It was just an observation.

Well insofar as it was just an observation, that's certainly an assessment with which my general experience agrees. My mind wanders to a skit by (of all people) fucking Ned 'Carlos Mencia' Holness in which he lambasted the naysayers of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, claiming that the only clearly identifiable reason these people thought of the original trio as being so incomparably superior was...they saw it when they were kids - and almost anything (especially anything involving laserblaster-spaceships-pewpewpew) can be awesome to a kid.

My original point was that I detest people and more specifically women who automatically dismiss it as something they have no interest in.

Well, sure, this fact wasn't lost on me. My (somewhat tangential) point was, "Star Wars is overrated bilge, so why worry, unless fanboy?"

It is now clear to me, however, that you are indeed a fanboy. So...case closed, I guess. 8)

Last edited:
Carlos Mencia?

Really?

I actually agree with that douche about something????

....fuck. Worldview and self-worth shattered. Thanks PA :(

Awww, mah bee, Grunge. For what it's worth, I think you're a wonderful person.....

tumblr_leftk562o31qf8yek.gif

Coming from a random stranger on the internet, that means a lot man. Thanks. <3

i like mista grunge too. we got so much in common. we should all have sex together.

what were we talking about again?

Honestly, I've always been accommodating with people's tastes, not in small part because I myself have a soft spot for "shitty" movies. What I can't stand are the people who look down their noses *at me* because I don't beat off to every French or Sundance film. You know, the--

1900.jpg

--type.

Lost in Translation is a great movie. Its not even one of these slow, meditative films really. Show them Baraka and they basically turn to stone or something?

Also Holy Grail is a good watermark for humor. If you don't laugh at all at this its a dealbreaker. i watched it a few months ago and its still as fun as ever. Own it, seen it beyond count.

i concur on lost in translation. i've seen that movie so many times, it's great to watch while on benzos. also all the monty python stuff is golden.

Sloppy seconds (thirds?), bro...sorry.

My car got stolen at the weekend and when the police found (what was left of) it some skeezy skanky bunch of homeless guys had gone and held some fucking soup kitchen in there.

I feel strangely violated every time I drive my car now....... knowing what happened to my poor innocent automobile. Anyone else feel that film had its good points too?

My car got stolen at the weekend and when the police found (what was left of) it some skeezy skanky bunch of homeless guys had gone and held some fucking soup kitchen in there.

I feel strangely violated every time I drive my car now....... knowing what happened to my poor innocent automobile. Anyone else feel that film had its good points too?

Are you Will Ferrell's character from The Other Guys?