• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Paleo diet

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT

Bluelighter
Having a friend who subscribes to this lifestyle, I've become quite curious about the benefits and advantages observed by those who follow a strict Paleo diet.

Are there any Bluelighters who are strictly Paleo?
What made you decide to take it up?
Do you feel better physically when eating this way?
How long have you been Paleo?
Do you get cravings for foods that are not on the 'list'?

No judging here, there are many approaches to eating and what works for some does not work for others. I'm simply curious. :)

I've been on a ketogenic diet for the past 3 months. Keto is a lot like paleo but it's even stricter: no fruits or nuts, onion, below-ground vegetables; basically everything with a relatively high carbohydrate count.

I've lost nearly 30lbs in 3 months, but if weightloss isn't your priority I can only tell you that keto changed my life: endless energy, better mental balance, superior dental hygiene [no sugar!], only fresh food I prepared myself [no take-out or fastfood] and this isn't a chore or a sacrifice at all.

Yes, I have cravings now and again, but then I'll eat a nice sausage or a good fatty cheese and those cravings are gone.

Ultimately though, I am going to incorporate carbs into my diet again, and probably follow a paleo-like diet since I work-out a lot and I'm reaching the end of carb-depleted gains.

Nevertheless, these diets will force you to reconsider your relationship with food and you're also going to relearn a lot about how your body deals with nutrients, especially about the relationship between carbs, insuline and fat-storage.

I've been following this kind of diet for the last couple months. I noticed that I've lost weight without even trying and get hungry far less than I would usually. I haven't been as strict as I'd like to be, but mom would be upset if I didn't eat her cooking. It's honestly very easy to follow and I have a lot more energy and strength now.

Purchased The Primal Blueprint a couple months ago and haven't really looked back too much.

I used to have chest pains at least a couple times a week and they've gone away completely.

Before I even knew what the paleo diet was, for the last few years my diet has typically consisted of meat, fruit, nuts, salad and fish, and basically no "carbs". This is just naturally what I like to eat. I've always been "carbophobic", if you will, and genuinely don't like the taste of potatoes, rice, cous cous etc.

Recently I moved in with someone who is strictly paleo, read up a bit about the diet and discovered that hey, I've been paleo all along and didn't even realise =D

My flatmate cooks most nights, and she is a really good cook so our meals are always delicious and quite decadent. She is very enthusiastic about paleo recipes, so she puts quiet a bit of effort in to her meals. I never really crave anything that isn't paleo e.g. potatoes, rice, bread etc because I never really eat that stuff anyway. The only thing I eat that goes outside of the paleo diet is yoghurt. I absolutely love yoghurt and am not willing to give it up :)

I can imagine for people who love carbs, converting to paleo would be next to impossible, or sheer hell! It just so happens that I don't like carbs anyway, so eliminating them is pretty easy.

My ONE concern about a diet that is as seemingly restrictive as the paleo diet is calcium intake. But from what I've read there seems to be a reasonable explanation to cover this concern:
Paleo Diet Q & A - Calcium from where?
Apparently a high protein diet increases calcium absorption, and eating less insulinotropic foods decreases calcium excretion.

I don't think I will ever be strictly adherent to any particular diet, but paleo loosely sits well with me. My flatmate and her whole family are all strictly paleo though!! They are totally in to it and are always discussing new recipes and stuff. All of them have lost considerable amounts of weight and are happier and healthier than they have ever been. I have to admit, from what I have seen, the paleo diet seems to deliver what it promises.

Last edited:
i don`t really diet. I`m comfortable with me the way i am... But... I`m interested in my food and where it comes from. There are 2 movies anyone that is interested in food, should watch. I don`t have anything to do with them... One is "food inc." the other is "forks over knives". If you watch these you will "think" about your food.

IHTT:

"Diet" simply refers to what you eat.

In the United States, it's become known as what you do to lose weight (Jenny Craig, WW, etc.), but this is not accurate.

I think something like this is good overall...fresh foods, avoiding additives, sugars, sodium etc. However, I can't see any justification for a number of the exclusions so I don't think this is something I'd personally follow religiously.

Oh and thanks for the recommendations on those movies - downloading them now :)

S_L yeah, i got that after i posted... I don`t really worry as much as i should about what i eat. If i want it, i eat it. That said though, i don`t sit down with a half gallon of ice cream and a spoon...lol I DO however think that in moderation anything is ok...

And mel, we subscribe to that too... If you can eat everything as close to nature intended it, it can`t be all bad. We stay away from food that comes in a box or can as much as possible. I won`t say we always do, but it`s a start.

I've been loosely paleo/primal for the last few months. I found that I felt better in a few aspects -- orthostatic hypotension is mostly gone and I have more energy now -- so I stuck with it. I've found I feel better when I'm -not- cheating, so I'm working on doing that less.

I haven't had any cravings, but it's basically impossible for me to turn down food. If my cousin hands me a turkey sandwich with Kraft cheese and store-bought mayonnaise on white bread, it disappears. I guess I'll just have to convert my family.

My boss has been following this diet for about 8 months and states it is the best he has ever felt.
He also does Crossfit 5 days a week.

This is the thing that gets me about the paleo diet. EVERY person I know who is "paleo" says exactly the same thing: That they've never felt healthier, they have endless energy, and they've lost weight that they couldn't get off before.

I'm still skeptical.. I've heard similar claims many many proponents of various other diets.

I guess I just don't subscribe to any particular rules for eating, other than 'balance is the key', listen to your body', be aware of your caloric intake vs physical exertion, and drink as much water as possible. I don't like to cut anything out of my diet as a conscious rule.. :\

i was on such a diet for quite a while, even cut out alcohol, eventually switched to low-cal diet that ncludes carbs and pretty much feel/function the same. the paleo diet can also be considered a type of low-cal diet because the carbs are mostly eliminated (fruits remain a source) and with them a shitload of calories that are usually underestimated because it doesn't register with our brains how enery-dense those foods are. the problem is just that people, at least from what i've observed, eat way too much carbs. toast or cereal for breakfast; the carbs get metabolized fast leaving a person starving for another energy boost by lunchtime which can best be satisfied by a bowl of noodles. i guess it's a vicious cycle. cheap, energy-dense food that only provides energy for a short period of time (halflife, to put it in drug terms) sounds too easy to abuse. you seem to get so much for your money in a combo meal but it's mostly about filling us up with fries, buns and a soda. but i'm rambling now. the point is... balance each meal and it doesn't matter what's on the plate.

is it okay to go on a paleo diet if your already underweight
I want to try it because for me fatigue is a constant problem
but everywhere i search things in relation to paleo, everyone goes on about the weight loss aspect...
are there certain things i should try to consume more of to maintain a healthy weight while still eating only paleo foods?

Yes, I have cravings now and again, but then I'll eat a nice sausage or a good fatty cheese and those cravings are gone.

that sounds so absolutely disgusting. hahaha.

the last time i ate cheese was about three weeks ago. so glad i stopped again.

I don't really understand the paleo diet. From what I have heard, you can't eat beans or grains? I eat rice, oats, barley, and all sorts of beans. I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat meat - so really what would that leave me with? Veggies and fruits (which I eat a ton of) and nuts.

I am interested in different diets however I can't figure this one out. I don't really see why it would be any healthier to avoid beans and grains. I'm still learning about this stuff.

you're pretty slim though - your body right now is (as you SHOULD know) pretty damn wonderful, R - only heavy set people don't really need starches etc in their diet - haven't you just been carbophobic because of things discussed in the dark side?
Before I even knew what the paleo diet was, for the last few years my diet has typically consisted of meat, fruit, nuts, salad and fish, and basically no "carbs". This is just naturally what I like to eat. I've always been "carbophobic", if you will, and genuinely don't like the taste of potatoes, rice, cous cous etc.

Recently I moved in with someone who is strictly paleo, read up a bit about the diet and discovered that hey, I've been paleo all along and didn't even realise =D

My flatmate cooks most nights, and she is a really good cook so our meals are always delicious and quite decadent. She is very enthusiastic about paleo recipes, so she puts quiet a bit of effort in to her meals. I never really crave anything that isn't paleo e.g. potatoes, rice, bread etc because I never really eat that stuff anyway. The only thing I eat that goes outside of the paleo diet is yoghurt. I absolutely love yoghurt and am not willing to give it up :)

I can imagine for people who love carbs, converting to paleo would be next to impossible, or sheer hell! It just so happens that I don't like carbs anyway, so eliminating them is pretty easy.

My ONE concern about a diet that is as seemingly restrictive as the paleo diet is calcium intake. But from what I've read there seems to be a reasonable explanation to cover this concern:
Paleo Diet Q & A - Calcium from where?
Apparently a high protein diet increases calcium absorption, and eating less insulinotropic foods decreases calcium excretion.

I don't think I will ever be strictly adherent to any particular diet, but paleo loosely sits well with me. My flatmate and her whole family are all strictly paleo though!! They are totally in to it and are always discussing new recipes and stuff. All of them have lost considerable amounts of weight and are happier and healthier than they have ever been. I have to admit, from what I have seen, the paleo diet seems to deliver what it promises.

People with slow metabolism's (Kapha) generally need next to no grains/starches in their life, fruit on the other hand - well we all need to eat fruit and veg, less so of the former than the latter.

Perhaps you have a vata-kapha constitution - I suggest doing a "prakriti test", easily found on google.

A ketogenic diet reigns supreme in terms of fat loss and feeling great in my opinion and experience. You eat little to no carbohydrates, high protien, and moderate fat and in a few days your body begins to use stored fat specifically for energy. You can tell if you body has entered ketosis by purchasing strips designed to be dipped in a sample of urine that will detect the presence of ketones by turning a particular color. They are cheap and can be purchased on Amazon.

The only downside to that diet is the first 3-4 days you will experience fatigue, trouble concentrating, and an extreme craving for carbs; Looking at a loaf of bread will make your mouth water. If you stick with it though, after 4 days you will feel incredible and begin shedding fat and feeling energized.

The diet I enjoy however is a cyclical ketogenic diet. Monday-Friday is dedicated to low carbs. While on the weekends I carb up. It's great for recomposition (losing fat and gaining muscle) of the body and is ideal given my goals for putting on muscle.

At my job I have explained a ketogenic diet to a few ladies who asked me for fitness advice and they have slimmed up incredibly and feel healthier.

For added fat loss you can take a ECA (ephedra, caffeine, aspirin) stack in conjunction with a ketogenic diet and really burn away the fat.

I don't really understand the paleo diet. From what I have heard, you can't eat beans or grains? I eat rice, oats, barley, and all sorts of beans. I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat meat - so really what would that leave me with? Veggies and fruits (which I eat a ton of) and nuts.

I am interested in different diets however I can't figure this one out. I don't really see why it would be any healthier to avoid beans and grains. I'm still learning about this stuff.
You said it yourself, really :D You're already vegetarian and have cut out meat from your diet, therefore if you cut out beans and grains as well you'd be left with barely anything to eat! If someone is already prescribing to one type of restrictive diet, they shouldn't try to incorporate another type of restriction as well, imo.

you're pretty slim though - your body right now is (as you SHOULD know) pretty damn wonderful, R - only heavy set people don't really need starches etc in their diet - haven't you just been carbophobic because of things discussed in the dark side?
Yeah sure, there is an element of that to it. But I also genuinely don't enjoy the taste/texture of dishes with potatoes, rice, cous cous etc :)