• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Mirtazapine

junglebook

Bluelighter
Anybody had any experience with this drug. Is it good for anxiety as well as depression, the wikipedia has it down for countless number of conditions.

After some info please. Does it cause withdrawal ? Is it addictive ? Is it easily abusive ?

Might go for this next time i see a doc either that or olanzapine.

It's a antidepressant and used for increasing appetite.

It has a black box warning of increased suicidal risk.

It interferes with a lot of drugs and I don't see any recreational value in it at all.

Anybody had any experience with this drug. Is it good for anxiety as well as depression, the wikipedia has it down for countless number of conditions.

After some info please. Does it cause withdrawal ? Is it addictive ? Is it easily abusive ?

Might go for this next time i see a doc either that or olanzapine.

Mirtazapine is nothing really special, I guess it helped with anxiety and depression, I was coming off drugs in the middle of no where and I still somehow gained thirty pounds lololol.... It gave me some crazy ass dreams but definitely helped me sleep. The only downside was that I could not stop eating the next or same day as taking it. If you don't mind putting on some weight then go for it, I've tried multiple different antidepressants and no.e of them really seemed to do anything lolol. It was just kind of there as a placebo for me...

Now, there are multiple other drugs that are used off label for depression such as lyrica

That sounds brilliant im 6ft 3inches and weigh ten stone. I suffer with depression specially now im coming of these benzos. Id love to put on some weight and the fact its not recreational sounds promising.

If you don't mind putting on some weight then go for it

This is true.
I asked my doctor if I could try it instead of the Dothiepin that I am on.
He said if I didn't mind putting on ALOT of weight then sure.
He said basically that this side effect isn't worth it in relation to the meds I am on at the moment.

They put me on this while I was in jail for five months, and while it DID help me sleep, I gained about ~25 pounds, even though I had to come off of opiates/benzos more or less cold turkey.

Sounds like it should be worth a try for you then. As other's have said it's not an abuse risk, but it does have withdrawal effects when coming off of it just so you are aware. Like usual, a gradual taper off is best as...

Effects of sudden cessation of treatment with mirtazapine may include depression, anxiety, panic attacks, vertigo, restlessness, irritability, decreased appetite, insomnia, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms such as allergies and pruritus, headaches, and sometimes hypomania or mania. (source)

Last edited:
Just got 3 of a m8 gonna give them a likle try see what they are like. Also gave me 4 amitriptyline to see what they are like. Definitely done with benzos! :D

yeah in the six months since i started using it i gained about 10-15 kilos. for me it's not very helpful as an axiolytic, but does have good efficacy as both a sleep aid and an antidepressant. and aside from the weight gain the side effects were pretty minimal compared to shit like SSRIs and SNRIs or TCAs.
all in all, it was one of the better antidepressants i ever took and i plan on continuing to take it.
and they have no recreational value whatsoever, like almost every antidepressant.

i got it prescribed for insomnia, and it really fuckin knocks you out. and every time i do take it, i can't stop eating, then again it's like that with every anti-psychotic, right? i try avoiding it, except for those really bad nights. 15-25 mg is more than enough to knock me out.

I've been on it for close to a year and it never really did anything for my "depression" but it has helped with my anxiety and is a really good sleeping pill. I usually take it 5 times a week and I've had periods where I've gone a few days without it and never had a withdrawal symptoms but it does have a pretty long half life.

i got it prescribed for insomnia, and it really fuckin knocks you out. and every time i do take it, i can't stop eating, then again it's like that with every anti-psychotic, right? i try avoiding it, except for those really bad nights. 15-25 mg is more than enough to knock me out.

Just to clarify.
Mirtazapine is an antidepressant not an anti-psychotic.

Last edited:
Used rec. to sleep.. 7.5/15/22.5 veeery tops, drowsy the next day with 22.5.. Used < 10 times after parties. Hungry the next day always, happy glow though.

I've been on this before for sleep and I assume the doctor also hoped the weight gain side effect would be good for me (I was skinny at the time).

It does work for sleep, at least it did for me. The problem is it gives you the strangest dreams, and they are really really vivid. That might sound cool and all but some of them can be pretty disturbing or bizarre, and to me they put me in the "bad trip" mind set. So while I am sleeping I'm spending all my dream time in an anxiety ridden head space. Not all of the dreams are bad, I could just be having the odd ones by nature but some left a lasting (and bad) impression. Just sayin'

I've used it as an "abort" aid as well, it's useful for coming down off other drugs in that respect. I found it more effective for inducing sleep than benzos, and its almost on-par with the z-drugs (well, ambien at least).

For sleep the trick is this: Less is more. I figured out pretty quickly that half of my prescribed dose worked just as good as an entire pill. I wouldn't suggest this if you're using it for anything else (anti-depressant qualities) but for sleep I found it was the way to go. Like z-drugs take right before bed, because when it kicks in (15-20 minutes) you're out like a light for at least 6 hours IME.

One last thing: If using this as a sleep aid I don't suggest using it every day when possible. It does have an anti-depressant effect and will change your head space. Its subtle and hard to put your finger on, but it's there (note: I don't feel I was on it long enough at a time to feel the full effects of it in that respect).

It does make you gain weight...or eat at least. :) I put on 20 pounds and kept it on, so it was useful for that. It gives you what I can only describe as the super munchies, a deadly combination for the fridge if you're a pot head. :D

Oh, and now a days I use this as a "last line" sleep aid because I don't like the dreams all that much. ;) I try to rotate sleep aids as well if I'm having to take them for longer than a few days. I suggest having something else on hand (OTC or prescribed) like ambien or DPH. Like all things if you start using this drug every night for sleep it will stop begin effective, and unlike other drugs upping the dose doesn't work.

Ok so i tried them out and i guess it being an anti depressent its one of them drugs that needs a certain amount of time for you to feel the real benefits from it right, anywayz i took one and i swear to god i slept a full 24 hours with a likle 20mins here and there for a fag n tea. Thats what happened when i tried olanzapine years ago the first pill knocked me out, just takes getting used to. Pretty pointless exercise just taking the 3 that i had. The last two didnt knock me out as much and i didnt get no real instant anxiety relief. I will speak with my doctor once ive finished weening of the benzos. Its worth a try at least.

the dream part is definitely right. the first month of taking it i had some of the weirdest fucking dreams of my life, but completely in spite of what drugs i take, i have pretty fucked up nightmares on a regular basis anyway, so it didn't make anything worse for me, just different. and i must say, a few of the dreams i had were so incredibly 'what the fuck' that i woke up completely bewildered but amused.

Lol now that you mention it i just woke up from a dream where i was running around town with a shotgun with omar from the wire running from the police and then i bought some etizolam but they sent me the etiz with loads of other freebies so i started feeding him them to get rid of him. I took the last one of them Mirtazapine yesterday night. That has to be the funniest dream ive ever had!

my experience with mirtazapine where not good ones! .. saying that, it was not me who was perscribed them! my friend who gets them perscribed and actually who needs them can actually get the full effect! with me i tried them a few times for recreational use, and for a cumdown to help me sleep. but i assure you there far more better drugs to use for what mirtazapine is used for!.. olanzapine is similar but i myself have had good experiences with them! but like yet again they were my freinds and not perscribed for me, i was only using these for recreational use! so if your looking to use this seriously i am not sure how well they work

Good luck.

I am seriously considering trying to get a perscription for mirtazapine mostly for off-label use (problems with sleep, appetite, and my mood could definitely be more stable because I am very sensitive to stimuli in general and getting chronically overwhelmed by them, also I have anxiety issues and contracted PAWS from quitting benzos a half year ago and apparently mirtazapine is being studied for its potential to help in such cases).
Yet despite my issues things are getting better and better for me in general and I just like to have something to help me stay functional as I reintegrate in work, and psychedelics feel helpful in my life and I have a lot of experience with them, I trust that moderated use of them is acceptable for me but obviously if I will go on mirtazapine I cannot trip.

Generally discontinuing medication so that one can take drugs is frowned upon, but since I am not actually depressed or have severe disorders, do you think it can be possible to occasionally skip mirtazapine for a few days? I would try to go for a low dose perscription since sleep effects are better at low doses apparently.
How messed up can (temporary) discontinuation of this medication be? Any ideas?