• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Undiagnosed disease - getting desperate

E

emma333

Hello Bluelighters...

Im really not sure where this post belongs, but I really need some advice here. It feels like Im pretty much out of options. My situation:

A number of years ago I had a tetanus vaccination (DTP specifically, I think) before a business trip overseas. The evening/night after having the vaccination, I remember feeling very hot, sweaty, mentally very weird, and I went thru the whole night without sleep (the day before everything was completely normal, this all happened suddenly). The following day I left for the trip overseas, and I still had some of those same symptoms, a lot of trouble sleeping, but generally less so than that first night.

Fast forward a couple of months, and I am still not sleeping, feeling very weird mentally, very 'wired', cant relax, very agitated (though not "anxious", it is more of a physical feeling). I was having a lot of trouble with work. Soon after I had to quit my job, I simply couldnt work, but thankfully I am supported financially. I have a very supportive family and close network of friends. I feel it is important to point out that these symptoms never varied (other than a general slow decline), while at work, after quitting, or at any other time.

Seen various doctors, had tests done, all they had to offer was CFS or depression, and I proceeded with the treatments that they recommended for each of those, with no help. I started CBT and I am still continuing with that, and while I can see the value in it for some people, it hasnt helped me. I have seen two psychiatrists and neither would commit to any diagnosis or any suggestion of what this is. I have no problem with weakness, pain or fatigue (other than fatigue from poor sleep), and I have no unusual post-exertion symptoms, so that rules out CFS. I wasnt sure what to think at the time, but it is very clear to me now that this is neither CFS nor depression, and my doctor now agrees with me on that.

So a year later and things are getting very bad. Mentally I feel like I an in a moderate benzo withdrawal 24/7 based on what I have read about what that experience is like. I am very uncomfortable physically. My breathing is horrible, I seem to always be hyperventilating, even when not actively focusing on my breathing. My heart rate feels like it is bounding, like it is very strong. I feel extremely wired and agitated, I cant stop thinking (not any specific thoughts, I just cant stop my mind going 1000mph), I am getting constant muscle twitches, and it is totally impossible to sleep without pharmacological help (I have been using trazodone and promethazine, but that doesnt do the trick any more, so now its quetiapine). Essentially I am just doing what ever I can to get through the day, and keeping up with regular tests with the doctor (nothing majorly unusual has showed up, the EEG was abnormal but "nonspecific", not much help there). A number of other tests have been abnormal but nothing has pointed to anything useful.

Like I said before, these symptoms never varied whatsoever (other than the decline over months). I started a fairly rigorous exercise program, walking at least 5 miles almost every single day for a number of months. Before and after those months I had been trying to rest as much as possible, and getting very little exercise. Even with that difference in activity level, there was ZERO variation in my symptoms. There was a period where my doctor sent me to a hospital in another city for a few weeks to have some more tests done, MRI, CT, endocrinology tests etc (I am in a fairly remote location). For these few weeks I was in a completely new environment, totally away from family and friends, and yet again, there was ZERO variation in my symptoms. I made some attempts at starting work again, pacing myself, but not getting anywhere, and I made efforts to socialize (within my limits imposed by this problem) and contrasting that to periods of very little social contact, again, no variation in my symptoms.

At this point I have no doubt whatsoever that this problem is neurological/physiological and not psychological, though I am open-minded to any ideas that I've not yet tried.

I have tried antidepressants of each of the major classes, a few antipsychotics, a few antiepiletpics/mood stabilizers, some of the non-benzo anxiolytics, muscle relaxants, beta blockers, calcium-channel blockers and other heart medications, and many others Im probably forgetting, and none have done anything at all (other than some helping me get to sleep). There have also been a bunch of suggested CFS treatments, supplements etc, but unsurprisingly none of that has done anything.

The only drug that has had any effect are benzodiazepines. I tried a short-acting benzo as a one-off a few times and there was a DRAMATIC difference. Almost all of my symptoms were completely gone during the effect of the drug. I avoided going onto a benzo full-time because of the inevitable tolerance problems. I tried gabapentin, and that also had a fairly dramatic effect, but tolerance set in ridiculously quickly. I am not a drinker BTW.

Things have continued to deteriorate, all the same symptoms, but it really feels near-unbearable. A couple of months ago I started a regime of clonazepam plus an NMDA antagonist to try to prevent tolerance (all done in conjunction with my doctor, he has been very open to suggestions of medications). It helped a little to begin with, but at this point I feel worse than I did before I started it - basically I think the problem is just continuing to deteriorate anyway. The GABA drugs just arent helping anymore, regardless of dose. I dont think tolerance is playing a huge part in things since the general pattern of deterioration has continued as it did before I started these drugs.

I am now (with my doctor) trying a spray-and-pray approach with antimicrobials and the like. No help so far. Along with that I am continuing to have tests done but there arent a whole lot left that look possible to have done. My doctor doesnt really have any more ideas.

A significant chunk of my life has now passed since this began. I dont really even think about resuming a normal life and going back to work, even though I continue to try to test if I am capable of any of that. I just want to be able to sit down and relax, to switch off. Or to just lie down and get some proper sleep. I dont remember how that feels since this all began (other than those one-offs with the benzos). I remain rational and I try not to get bogged down in anxiety and hopelessness, but suicide is beginning to look like an option if things continue to get worse and there is nothing I can do to control the symptoms. I dont think emotion is playing a big part in this, I just genuinely cant see any other option if things really do get fully unbearable and uncontrollable, which based on the past few years, looks like a possibility. If I were to end it, I would make sure to give myself at least a couple of months to make sure that it is the right thing to do. I am not one to make decisions impulsively. I know that psychologists/psychiatrists will break confidentiality and are obligated to report any suspicion of suicide, so Im not sure who else there is to talk to about that side of things.

I guess I am just looking for any advice at all on what I should do. Everybody on this board seems very knowledgeable on pharmacology and perhaps neurological disease. I really dont know what to do other than to keep holding on as long as possible until I have no choice but to kill myself.

Sorry OP I didn't have time to read all of that and am not sure where it belongs. I'll send it over to Healthy Living for now but if it is a more medical nature I suppose OD might be better.

Best of luck!

Anon >>> HL

OP, you're going to think I'm nuts, but what kind of a diet do you eat? We can try to get your body back to a state where it's a *little* bit more in harmony and see where it leads.

And just in case you're unable to post, if you eat a lot of junk food, or drink coffee, try switching to fruits and veggies. Even try a juice fast before "calling it quits". It has to be very hard on you when all of this seemed to have been caused by one vaccination. It is not unheard of to have complications from vaccinations, or to even get the disease that they have injected you with. Have you ever had a low immunity against disease? Did you used to be sick often? Do you have allergies? This might help bring you closer to finding an answer.

Moreover (and this is just my two cents to most of modern medicine, take it with a grain of salt), modern medicine, including vaccinations, pharmaceuticals and the drastic change in what is "safe for human consumption" is changing our world, and not for the better. What is seen in most people's eyes as "protection" may be the death of one or two people. I just hope it's not you. Keep searching, but search on your own.

Don't forget; most people (especially those with high levels of licensed practice who don't exactly want to lose their jobs) aren't going to admit something they or another doctor has done to you is incorrect. It's kinda like protecting your own (again, MY experience with the human race in general) and saving their butts. Try getting clean, as another attempt at figuring out if all the chemical imbalance is causing you all those symptoms.

since you didn't mention your age, i'll just mention the tendency of anxiety and anxiety-'spectrum' types of disorders to set-in when one's in their late teens through early 20's. if you're close to that age-range, there's a very real possibility that you're trying to fix something that's not an actual 'problem', but rather something that you'll have to learn to live with (and i'm aware of it setting in very suddenly/abruptly - that does happen, i can think of several ppl i know who were about 19-23 and something such as getting ridiculously stoned for a week straight, having an intense trip, or going through something traumatic <social/emotional/physical/etc>, and the anxiety is just there all of a sudden).

given that this is a drug-board, i'd really like to know what your prior usage was. it's definitely plausible that one could be abusing benzo's, for example, from ~19 to 26, then when they stop abusing them, the anxiety that basically got there at 19, but wasn't noticed as much, is now noticed far more (perhaps the benzo's can even delay the true 'onset' of the 'anxiety'). I know this isn't something that's can be classified as any type of dsmIV-type "anxiety", but the symptomology smacks of this at least having anxiety as part of some syndrome, if it's not just anxiety in itself. the way you describe it sounds like basic anxiety from where i'm sitting; the sleep, the wired feeling, the 'benzo wd' feeling, those are all extremely typical anxiety symptoms, i'm surprised you haven't gotten an anxiety diagnosis **even if** they simply said it was that PLUS something else that they couldn't put their finger on.

about the "different environment": if we're talking about something that's at least "anxiety-esque", even as part of something larger**, environment absolutely affects that and, IMO, having been in a different environment the way you were doesn't really rule out the 'changing scenery to fix things' idea - your different environment was centered around this problem and tests to diagnose this problem; these things have a tendency to be FAR worse when they're a major psychological focus. I know you're probably thinking "how the fuck can't i focus on it?!", and all i can do is say you gotta try, and eventually you'll learn to cope with it (NOT even remotely an easy thing for these types of things. i absolutely still wrestle w/ medium-high<it fluctuates, BUT i've been able to find damn near everything that affects it in both good and bad ways> anxiety and depression, and have since my early 20's <i'm late 20's now>)
**'part of something larger': these types of things can make one feel like it's just gotta be something that's physiologically-rooted, there are many times when, despite that NOT being the case, it's virtually impossible to convince someone otherwise. however, i know from a bit of personal experience, and TONS of observation of close family members, that symptoms that're completely physical in nature will arise from anxiety-spectrum disorders. whether it's anxiety that's slanted towards panic-attacks causing digestive problems which lead to energy problems which leads to furthering anxiety and even inducing depression, or whether it's slanted towards 'generalized' anxiety and it just causes sleep disturbances, these things have a way of "spreading" out from the original symptomology of what one considers "pure anxiety" disorders.

re "life conditions" - i'm getting the impression that - and ignore this paragraph if i'm wrong - that either you aren't truly trying to embrace what's around you* and/or you don't have any direction/desires for important things such as goals/hobbies. if either of those are the case, they can really exacerbate this kind of thing. sorry if i'm completely off-base with that, i'm trying to stay awake as i type lol, so i may be reading things into this that aren't there. if either are the case tho, correcting them - while it feels futile - will make a TON of difference. and if it's the case, you're likely thinking "i don't have any hobbies/activities i particularly care about" and/or "i don't have real goals right now", all i can say is just make some up and go with it, and commit yourself as much as you can. even if they're kind of silly/small-in-scope, you WILL feel better by starting and finishing things, and you will feel better moving towards a goal even if that goal is something you know is kind of 'manufactured'.
*=when i said "embracing what's around you", that goes for goals/hobbies, too. i know that, for quite a bit of time, i just "went through the motions". this was early-on in the course of my anxiety. once i knew the feeling was called "anxiety" (it was weird for me, since i never associated myself with that word, as i'm extroverted/'risk-taking' and, embarrassingly, have a tendency towards being arrogant/douchey lol), i found the things to do to help myself - but it didn't really work (at 1st!) because i was just going through the motions. I'd see friends, work with plants, study, exercise, read books, but the truth is i was doing half that shit just to do it. i didn't commit/embrace things, i'd do them but, mentally, i'd be cynical about them and practically live in a "i'm just doing this because i know i should" mindset 24/7. learning to lower my expectations of things, and to just turn off certain parts of my mind, allowed me to find joy in normal stuff again (i had/have a strong "anhedonia"-esque psych trait that is one of the worst exacerbaters(sp?) for my particular psyche).

about suicide - that's something that many can relate to, and is - IMO - almost always the wrong choice. i am probably in a tiny minority on this, but i definitely see suicide as 'viable' in certain scenarios, but - IMO - yours isn't even remotely close to those scenarios (and i'm not referring to "obvious" scenarios that, theoretically, many would agree with; i've gotta say i'm not really feeling it's proper to elaborate a ton here/now, but my "acceptable/reasonable suicide threshold" is far lower than most ppl's. i'm NOT suicidal myself anymore, but i do understand 'the urge', so to speak). i was quite suicidal getting used to a handful of things, my anxiety/'anhedonia' being one of the most prominent. i had an extremely similar feeling to your "I just genuinely cant see any other option if things really do get fully unbearable and uncontrollable". mine was a little more like "what's the point of living if i'm going to just go through the motions, living just for the sake of 'doing it'". suicide was a multiple-times daily thought (hell, the 'urge/feeling' pops up frequently enough for me even now, although it's FAR different - now it's much more of a 'wrong feeling', similar to wanting to punch a wall, that'll come into my head suddenly, and i'll negate it just as quickly. it's NOT that i'm thinking "suicide is inherently wrong", it's more "suicide is just something that's popping into my head because i'm not conducting myself, psychologically, as i should be". i do still have to, on occasion, 'correct' my psyche-outlook, but it's very different now in that i do it because i want to, not because i know it's what i should do. i want to do it because, as soon as i'm back in-line, things become much better, and at this point i can get back in-line extremely rapidly, so it's an impulsive thing, a 'positive-emotion-seeking' thing, to dump that line of thought.
BUT, on the issue of suicide: when i was in-between feeling it regularly + believing it was more "just a matter of time" til i did it, and now - where i don't want to even when i want to <if that makes sense>, i had some very practical thoughts on suicide that i think could be very relevant to you. IF, say, you decided on suicide, why *JUST* suicide? by that, i mean that if you'd be willing to do something so drastic, why not do a slew of OTHER drastic things first? change your friends, move to an extremely different area/country, etc.- such changes could absolutely have such an impact on your symptoms, or perhaps even make it so that the symptoms are there, but you no longer find them remotely near something that's difficult to cope with.

well, i hope that was on-point enough... A )) I tend to suck at writing things like this compared to more "sciency"/fact-based stuff, and B )) I'm stupid-tired right now, i won't even get behind the wheel right now (and it's purely the sleep, zero drugs / w/d's / stress /anything like that). So, if anything came across wrong to you, OP, or if anything said re suicide was offensive to anyone, my apologies in advance.
OP- i'd really like to hear you reply. if nothing else, just knowing your recreational+therapeutic drug history prior to this happening, and your age. either/both could be extremely relevant here. i'm unsure if a guest can post again from the same account, if you cannot then i suggest just making a username here or emailing someone to have them post for you (my email is in my profile; didn't think it was, but somehow a now-banned newb emailed me and a couple other users here to find drugs lol).

best of luck with all of this, and def come back+post if at all possible

/this thread kind of feels like a TDS/ADD/SO thread all in one..
//edit: the "benzo's don't work anymore at any dosage" thing, having occured after the benzo's helping a ton (and knowing that "benzo w/d" is a symptom), is really a recurring thing in my head wrt your situation. i'd be very interested to know, specifically, how your experiments that led you to say that went (ie - dosage, how many times you tried, how close those times were to each other, whether your symptoms were low/normal/high at the time, etc etc etc)
///double-edit: sorry for the wall of text...i told you i suck at writing these types of things ;PP couple that with overtiredness, and fast typing and you get an unreadable wall of text like that lol
////triple-edit: SimplyLive is dead-on wrt diet and trying to get off meds (where appropriate - which is many/most places IMO when it comes to psych meds). i know that for many, and 100% for myself, diet/sleep/exercise are virtually required to feel 'normal'. i'm aware you were walking 5mi/day w/o any noticeable difference; even still, i'd advise you to continue staying active, eating well, and sleeping well. even if the absence of those doesn't cause a noticeable exacerbation of your symptoms, i promise you that it WILL at some point, there's no doubt about it. it may not be affecting the true cause of your symptoms if they are something, say, neurological (highly doubt it), but it will make the resultant symptoms subjectively worse w/o a doubt.

Last edited:
have you been checked for heavy metals? Vaccinations these days are notoriously contaminated with substances that shouldn't be in the human body. Either way, I think you'd be best off doing something to detox your body of whatever that vaccination put in. Some things that are good for detoxing stuff like that are alpha lipoic acid, zeolites, selenium, and pretty much all greens (spinach, especially SEA VEGGIES are very effective like kelp/chlorella/spirulina). Try doing a fast/detox for a week. The lemon detox is a good one to start off. I think the problem is you have too many foreign substances in your body that should not be there.

REPLY: Undiagnosed disease - getting desperate

Reply to http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/584029-Undiagnosed-disease-getting-desperate
Thanks mods, sorry if I didnt do this correctly.
It wouldnt let me use the same name as last time, I was emma333 last time.

------------------------------------

Simply_Live: thanks for the comments. I try to eat well, I totally avoid caffeine and all stimulants, no junk food, but to be perfectly honest, I've tried all the elimination diets, bought a fancy juicer, and all that, bought every supplement/vitamin I could find, tried to address mould/dust problems around the house, and none of it ever made any noticeable difference. I agree though that diet is an important factor that so many people overlook.

As far as diseases, I used to be VERY prone to allergies (none of them severe, just mildly allergic to practically everything). Interestingly, since this problem started they seem to be much less prevalent. I also had mono when I was younger, if that means anything (I think most people have anyway, so probably not relevant). Also interesting, that time was about when some depressive/anxious traits began to emerge, but maybe its just a coincidence. There seem to be weird little coincidences here and there but I cant piece them together.

As for the rest of your post - its really nice to hear someone echoing those same thoughts that I have about medicine. The whole vaccine controversy thing just seems to be, well "vaccines prevent the spread of contagious disease, so even if there are side effects, the benefits outweigh the downsides - end of discussion". But then that argument is twisted to silence any debate or investigation into the possible dangers of vaccines. I accept that vaccines are a net positive to SOCIETY and that people should be vaccinated for the good of society, but it doesnt mean that we shouldnt be looking into the minority of INDIVIDUALS who get (sometimes very severe) adverse reactions.

---------------

SangerRainsford: Thanks for the post. I have trouble reading big posts, so I will reply for now on what I've scanned through. Thanks for spending so much time on replying though, I really appreciate it, I'll have another go at properly reading all of it later (dont want to give the impression that you were rambling, I just have a lot of trouble reading these days).

You make a valid point - why am I posting on bluelight - I guess this just seemed to be out of all the boards out there the one with the most honest conversation about serious personal problems, rather than, "well, that sounds bad, you should consult your doctor". Ive come to the realization that doctors dont have all the answers. Plus I guess I have a general interest in neurology and the brain, and most of the posters here seem amazingly knowledgeable in that area - doctors seem to be very conservative when it comes to new and experimental drugs, but theres a wealth of info on that stuff on boards like these.

I am in my late 20s. I have had what I would call self-diagnosed mild depressive and anxious traits since somewhere in my teens, but it was never what I would call true depression or anxiety. It never really interfered with school, work, or my social life, I think just more of a personality trait. "Highly strung" I guess. By around 20 it was really never something I thought about anymore. Never saw a psychiatrist/psychologist until after this problem began, and I was never on any meds until after this nightmare began. The anxiety component has not been a problem since this began. There probably is some element of depression by this stage - to be expected with long-term illness I guess. Not feelings of sadness or despair, but I would say anhedonia.

Prior drug usage - none whatsoever. I never touched a drop of booze till I was at least 17, and Im not a drinker, I dont think Ive ever been anything more than mildly buzzed in my life. Ive never done any recreational drugs whatsoever. Makes me sound like a bit of a prude, really :) No benzo use at all until what I mentioned in my first post, where my doctor prescribed some temazepam (i think) for short term help with sleep. Never abused them, if anything Im a bit wimpy with dosages, never going above what the doctor recommends. All medications that Ive taken have been thru my doctor, and Ive always followed his instructions with the dosages.

When I tried the benzo, I took the regular dose at probably a couple of hours before I was intending to go to bed, and I just noticed a dramatic improvement in most symptoms, including the breathing, the twitching, the pulse, all the mental stuff, everything. I just felt normal. This feeling of 'noise', 'buzzing', 'agitation', was all gone, I could just sit down and feel NORMAL. I even remember being able to actually 'smell' things again, something I didnt realize I had lost until then. My sense of touch and vision all felt so much more vivid too, again, something I didnt realize was abnormal until then. I was very aware of the tolerance and horror stories about benzo addiction, so I only tried it again a few more times, and those would have been weeks apart at the least, and at the same dose, with the same effects. Like I mention, apart from the slow decline, my symptoms are never 'high' or 'low', its just always the same all times of the day, every day, which is so fucking frustrating.

I understand where you are coming from with the anxiety argument. I guess I have this discussion with myself in my head very often, whether this could be anxiety, and I have to say that every time the answer I come up with is no. I just dont understand how I can be in so many different environments, mindsets, situations, some very anxiety-provoking (and actually experiencing anxiety in those situations), some very comforting, and not experience any variation in my symptoms whatsoever. If I do feel anxious for whatever reason, as everybody does from time to time, the distinction between that feeling, and the constant symptoms I describe, is very clear. Over the many years since this began, I can honestly say there has been zero day-to-day or week-to-week fluctuation in those symptoms. It has been remarkably constant, just a very smooth straight line sloping downwards with no blips.

To add to that, among these constant sensations I just dont feel 'anxious' in any emotional way, I dont feel any sense of fear or apprehension, just a SEVERE 'buzzing', 'brain on fire', 'noisy', 'twitchy', 'wired' that just feels fucking unbearable.

What you said about "practical thoughts about suicide" and drastic changes - this makes a lot of sense to me, Im just not quite sure where to take it from there. A couple of years back after I quit working I hopped on a plane to Denver and just stayed in a hotel for a couple of days by myself, went and had a look around the city etc - it didnt help at all at the time, this feeling of being so INTENSELY wired and agitated just dominates everything. Maybe I need to think about some more drastic changes.

I am staying in CBT for this reason, and I'm also on an antidepressant (hasnt helped other than sleep, it was originally recommended as a CFS treatment) - if there is a psychological component then I dont want to ignore it. I get plenty of fresh air and sunlight, try to socialize if I can, move around a bit, but I honestly, truly feel that the root cause of this is not psychological. I try to be rational, to stay open to the idea (and I discuss this in CBT), to question myself, am I in some kind of denial, but honestly, no matter what angle I look at it from I just cant see the psychological theory making sense in my situation. To have two shrinks not commit to an anxiety diagnosis too kinda nails it for me, but then again I have my own thoughts about traditional psychiatrists, thats another story.

Re suicide - I guess I need to think a bit more about this before I have anything particularly meaningful to say. But I will say that I know for some, suicide seems somewhat like a fantasy, people dream up what friends and family will think/feel when they are gone, how it feels cathartic to think about suicide. For me it isnt like that. I dont get spontaneous urges or thoughts, its always just the logical conclusion to my thinking about all of the options left to me to get out of this situation (out of which, suicide is on the very bottom of the list). I dont necessarily feel that its a 'matter of time' - to get overly objective and analytical, I'd say it feels like 1/10 it'll get better by itself, 4/10 ill find the 'fix', and 5/10 ill have to end my life at some point. To me it doesnt seem to be a "whats the point of life" type of thinking, it seems more rational - if these symptoms continue to get worse (which they appear to be doing), and I have no tools left to control those symptoms anymore, then what else am I supposed to do?

Anyway, im not sure that Im going to get any revelationary truth out of any of this, but its good to be able to talk to you guys. Really appreciate the time you took to read my wall 'o text and reply with such engagement.

While I do enjoy it a lot whenever I smoke cannabis I get racing thoughts and somewhat more anxious so I'm curious why you think it would work It's not like I'm inexperienced with cannabis, the paranoia I got at first is gone now after a lot of use but I still get a "weird" feeling from it.

Don't mean to derail the thread but I'm quite interested in why you suggested it. Is it a "look, things could be worse" sort of cure? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would NOT recommend cannabis to somebody with racing thoughts / anxiety. (wouldn't recommend any recreational substances at all to be honest)

Do you exercise regularly (other than the walking)?

Sounds like classic mania:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania

Or more specifically,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agitated_depression

I've dealt with racing thoughts virtually my entire life.. it started in my teens and hasn't really let up. The only cure I've ever experienced for it is to physically exhaust myself on a daily basis through exercise.

Last edited:
Would NOT recommend cannabis to somebody with racing thoughts / anxiety. (wouldn't recommend any recreational substances at all to be honest)

Do you exercise regularly (other than the walking)?

Sounds like classic mania:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania

Or more specifically,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agitated_depression

I've dealt with racing thoughts virtually my entire life.. it started in my teens and hasn't really let up. The only cure I've ever experienced for it is to physically exhaust myself on a daily basis through exercise.
Quoted for truth, and emphasis. I too would not recommend any drugs, and that includes caffeine and nicotine.

Curious to know if you exercise, OP. I have found biking to be extremely beneficial, both to my waist-line and to my mind. :)

Agreed. I know this is a harm reduction forum but I really don't see any recreational drug use as a good idea for people trying to solve problems. In my inexperience and having witnessed a lot of people trying a variety of substances, drugs can often exacerbate existing issues. There's the entire sort of drug culture mythology that a good LSD or other trip can solve all of a person's problems but for most people.. that's not what happens. Deeply focused introspection and meta-cognition that leads to self reprogramming is VERY difficult and should be attempted with diet, exercise, introspection, reflection, and meditation before being attempted with psychedelics.

In my experience at least. All that being said, my racing thought problem had persisted from mid teens til today but had reached a sort of crisis point of abysmal depression at about 19-20 years old. Salvia divinorum and ego death promptly cured the depression, but not the racing thoughts. Exercise and developing a healthy lifestyle helped with the racing thoughts (not cured but at least less disruptive).

Emma - Just curious if they have ever given you anything like dopamine?

?? Why? Dopamine Hydrochloride injection is only used for acute hemodynamic problems in things like MI, multisystem organ dysfunction or sepsis... Its ACLS stuff for the ER or ICU.

As for catching the illness from the vaccine, that is only possible in live vaccines such as attenuated live virus like in the ORAL polio vaccine.

DPT... The Diptheria and tetanus parts are toxoids.. which are not at all infectious (they are toxins, not organisms) and the pertussis part in the vaccine is killed organisms, which by virtue of being killed, are not able to infect you.

As for your problem, it seems so non specific that its hard to even grasp at straws as to what it might be... it appears from your reaction to benzo's are some of the things you discribe that its some kind of hyperarousal state, which is usually mental... but its possible that you had an abnormal reaction to something in the vaccine (or had a coincedential infection or reaction to something else) and had some type of neurological injury, like that caused by inflamation or increased pressure on the brain. But that is just my own attemp at some reasoning and not based on anything more then hypothetical. In any case if GABAgenics are effective and nothing else is, I guess use them?

I agree with the poster who said it sounds like Mania/agitated depression or I would add, bipolar with mixed episodes. I'd also generally agree that cannabis is not generally a good idea in these cases.. but I'll reserve that I know a few people with conditions like that who benefit from cannabis... in any case, that is best done under careful observation.

Last edited:
In the US doctors have been known to give medication that have been known to increase dopamine or be a dopamine derivative. Which can cause the shakes similar to parkinsons, really bad anxiety and panic attacks, trouble sleeping and can cause addiction to sex, gambling and other things.

I recommend that you journal your symptoms both physical and emotional. See if there is a pattern to your symptoms, this might help narrow things down.

I know how frustrating it can be, I was sick was for 2 years before any doctor could finally diagnose me. In some strange way knowing what it is made it easier to accept.

In the US doctors have been known to give medication that have been known to increase dopamine or be a dopamine derivative. Which can cause the shakes similar to parkinsons, really bad anxiety and panic attacks, trouble sleeping and can cause addiction to sex, gambling and other things.

Ah, you mean DA direct agonists like pramipexole or Levodopa+carbidopa used for neurological issues. The big difference is the DA agonists and the levodopa cross the blood brain barrier and have central effects. straigh dopamine does not cross the BBB and is used to increase cardiac output and blood pressure, but would have zero effect in central nervous system due to not crossing the BBB.

I'd be cautious about dopaminergics like that.. they have a lot of side effects, like movement disorders( But which are Dyskineisa like and not parkinsonian... dyskinesia makes it hard to not move, parkinsons makes it hard to move.. one is hyperactivity of DA neurons the other is from death of DA neurons), gastrointestinal upset and psychological from anxiety all the way to total psychosis.

^^^ thats why I was asking if she was taking any.

ah! I though you where suggesting dopaminergics for her condition and I was kind of like 'lolwut..that seems like it may be a bad idea'

Reply: Undiagnosed disease - getting desperate

Reply to http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/584029-Undiagnosed-disease-getting-desperate
-----------------

TINK said:

No.

rangrz said:
As for your problem, it seems so non specific that its hard to even grasp at straws as to what it might be... it appears from your reaction to benzo's are some of the things you discribe that its some kind of hyperarousal state, which is usually mental... but its possible that you had an abnormal reaction to something in the vaccine (or had a coincedential infection or reaction to something else) and had some type of neurological injury, like that caused by inflamation or increased pressure on the brain.

I guess if it is mental then I am trying to do what I can...but if it is the latter, is there anything you could suggest for me to go to next?

rangrz said:
In any case if GABAgenics are effective and nothing else is, I guess use them?

This is why I started the thread, really the benzos stopped being effective pretty soon after I started them, regardless of the dose - its just an unwinnable war against tolerance etc.

TINK said:
I recommend that you journal your symptoms both physical and emotional. See if there is a pattern to your symptoms, this might help narrow things down.

Ive been doing this for quite a while, pretty much since I started looking for medical help, and the only pattern that is there is that things are really constant - there is no variation day to day or week to week, but if at any point I look back 6 months then I see that things have become progressively a bit worse. There is also no variation that I can pick up between different situations - eg in a social situation, or especially the example of after exercise (leading me to know that this isnt CFS, not that CFS ever really sounds like this from what I know).